• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: TLOU Remastered performs worse than base PS4....even at 1080P

dracula_x

It's simply immersion breaking. Each judder/stutter takes you out of the world. Would you watch a movie with frame skips and 10 frame drops all over the place? Wouldn't be very enjoyable.

Yes, many people still would. YouTube, Netflix, Twitch are good examples – constant stuttering on bad internet connection, switching between hi-res/low-res, etc.

Mrbob

I'm not really surprised, always been cautious about performance when rendering at higher resolution. I'd rather have a decent AA solution and better performance at 1080p than down sampling from 1800p. Or just down sample from 1440p since this seems more reasonable for the console to handle.

Chaplain

I am certain that Naughty Dog is reading this thread. Meaning, if they can fix the frame rate, it will be fixed. ^_~

Kaze2212

That's a bummer for sure.

They should be offering the standard PS4 mode as an option if they can't match the performance at a higher resolution.

Even so, I still think that this can be fixed with a patch. Either by optimizing the game further or dropping the resolution (1620p, 1440p etc.). I do not believe that the CPU is the issue here.

jett

D-Member
Absolutely embarrassing.

This is clearly a case of somebody at Naughty Dog just not giving a shit. This and UC4's Pro patch feel like such afterthoughts.

Hopefully enough noise is made that ND at least adds a native 1080p option for TLOU on Pro.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
A few lost frames can have a big impact on the feel of a 60fps game. I'm not sure why people laugh and dismiss it.

Not sure why people keep quoting that post. It's false information. The OP has proper benchmarks pics.
even dropping to 50 is not a huge deal for me...

But whatever...

I think mostly newer games will benefit from Pro, I feel like these old games are just gravy, don’t sales are increasing because of 4k/HDR support, so just grateful for titles to show off until the showcase games like Horizon and GTS launch.

dracula_x

A few lost frames can have a big impact on the feel of a 60fps game. I'm not sure why people laugh and dismiss it.

But TLOU on OG PS4 has the same issue:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-the-last-of-us-remastered (28/07/2014)

The Last of Us Remastered's other major enhancement: 60fps gameplay, doubled from the PS3 30fps standard (and based on our analysis videos, a target it frequently had issues sustaining). To answer the question everyone's been asking, frame-rate isn't locked to 60fps, but The Last of Us Remastered does spend the vast majority of its time at the optimal refresh. Problems can kick in during busy combat scenes, and just like the PS3 version, particles and transparent effects in particular can take their toll - the first confrontation with a fungus-spewing Bloater sees frame-rate hit a minimum of 46fps.

Absolutely embarrassing.

This is clearly a case of somebody at Naughty Dog just not giving a shit. This and UC4's Pro patch feel like such afterthoughts.

Hopefully enough noise is made that ND at least adds a native 1080p option for TLOU on Pro.
Yep, compared to other games, these seem to have problems. Whatever, I trust ND to fix that and they were saying they're looking into different techniques for Uncharted 4.

score01

The Pro should have an OG PS4 mode where you can force games to run as God had intended 3 years ago.

I thought games werent allowed to perform worse than their OG counter parts?

LordRaptor

Absolutely embarrassing.

This is clearly a case of somebody at Naughty Dog just not giving a shit.

We've literally had decades of developers talking about 'coding to the metal', optimising for specific fixed hardware to get the most out of it, 'punching above its weight' etc on console.

Is it really developer laziness Sony threw that out the window to sell a mid-gen hardware iteration?

Afro

Infamous: First Light: Pro update provides a better frame rate/higher resolution toggle in the options menu. A TOGGLE!!!

All future Pro games need this. It's absolutely crucial.

baconcow

I agree that the game needs a patch, I'm sure it will get one, but where exactly do you see the framerate dropping below 50fps, can you screen cap these scenes...?

2016-11-1116_17_40-thj7usi.png

The framerate drops below 50 fps (to between 49 and 50 fps), on this image. Perhaps it rounds up to 50 fps, but it is still below the reference line that represents 50 fps. My message was in response to it only being a 1-2 fps drop, which appears false.

The_Lump

Banned
even dropping to 50 is not a huge deal for me...

But whatever...

I think mostly newer games will benefit from Pro, I feel like these old games are just gravy, don’t sales are increasing because of 4k/HDR support, so just grateful for titles to show off until the showcase games like Horizon and GTS launch.

yeah...

and they’ll likely patch...

No one is noticing this.

the goal should be 55-60 constant though.

Its fluctuations in framerate that people notice. The game running at 50 instead of 60 wouldn't be that noticeable. But shifting from 60 to 50 and back regularly is jarring, for example. (NB I'm not saying this is what TLOU is doing, just an example)

There is.

It runs at a higher resolution.
Thank you. I don't understand how some people don't understand the actual gulf here. Granted 1440p at a locked 60fps would end this discussion but there needs to be an understanding that relative to the resolution it certainly is outperforming the OG PS4.

Everyone's always quick to get worked up.

Timeaisis

It's interesting that the people defending the frame drops as being not a big deal are the same that bought the Pro specifically for performance reasons.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Tom and all these guys have been playing some unflinching 60fps games on their consoles all this time. Yet the same guys who make excuses for Witcher 3's abysmal framerate and Ryse Son of Rome's framerate which falls to the teens........Hell, forget about that, COD was always in the 40's last gen, but it was the smoothest judder 3 game they ever played for years ongoing. All of a sudden a few frames dipped from 60fps is really disappointing to Tom here. I guess these reactions are selective...

Having said that, I will say that I do believe the game should be patched and improved, there's no way the high framerate mode should be performing worse.....but don't go drawing conclusions that the Pro can't handle this, because when it's patched you won't say you were wrong, just like the guys who blame the Jaguar CPU for everything wrong with the world.....

I'm pretty sure ND is working on UC4 DLC, Retooling UC4 on the PRO for a better patch, TLOU2 and getting the UC Collection Pro ready.....It's a no brainer that there will be some optimizations and improvements coming.....It's not the end of the world and it's not like they won't address this.

Aye!

Edit: Another thing Tom keeps mentioning is that there is no improvement to the visuals at 1800p, just a rez boost. I don't think that's the case. Look at all that shimmering on the fences in the PS4 version of TLOUR, it's completely gone on the 1800p version and that's not on account of a rez boost alone...

So. Many. Straw men.

How is Ryse or The Witcher 3 even relevant here? Bloodborne also dropped into the teens, but again, that's not relevant.

If you can't see the difference between Ryse and Witcher 3 running on OG consoles, and a patched remaster of a 2013 game running on a mid-gen upgrade to a console then ... you aren't as clued in as you'd like us to believe. Their reactions aren't selective, they're perfectly in context, considering the subject matter.

As an additional note, the shimmering TLOUR on PS4Pro being gone is also exactly what Sony said would happen, the SSAA is reducing the aliasing artifiacts/shimmer/jaggies.

cakely

Can we get a mod to edit the thread topic? It says "even at 1080p" when it should read "even at 1800p", which is what is actually happening.

jrcbandit

This. Small FPS drops are an issue, because they usually cause stutters that are very noticeable. Especially when the fluctuations are constant like this.

It seems like it would have been so easy to just render at a slightly lower resolution to get the framerate under control. Why aim for an arbitrary 1800p in 60FPS mode if you can't get 60FPS?
This so much. Inconsistent frame rates do matter. And this problem would be easily solved if the game rendered at 1440p or 1600p for 60 fps mode and then either upscaled/downscaled to final output.

jett

D-Member
It's really sad to see fanboy culture so hugely on display in this thread. For some there's literally nothing ND can do that could be considered negative.

We've literally had decades of developers talking about 'coding to the metal', optimising for specific fixed hardware to get the most out of it, 'punching above its weight' etc on console.

Is it really developer laziness Sony threw that out the window to sell a mid-gen hardware iteration?

When you simply set the game running at a higher resolution while disregarding the fact that it performs worse than it currently does on PS4, yes, that's somebody not giving a shit. At the moment there is literally nothing a Pro-only owner can do to get it to run at a framerate equal or higher to the regular PS4.

I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware. ND should've picked a lower resolution than 1800p.

4k mode is rock solid though.

You do realise the console is doing the same work regardless of the final output resolution right?

The console in this particular game is rendering at 1800P and then outputting the final screen at either 4K or 1080p depending on the TV used.

Ricky_R

I agree that if they can't get the downsampled version close or the same as the base PS4 in performance then they should offer a native 1080p version at the least.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shame about the dips in frame rate, but I was gonna play it at 4K + 30 anyway so it's a moot point for me.

jiiikoo

Banned
You do realise the console is doing the same work regardless of the final output resolution right?

The console in this particular game is rendering at 1800P and then outputting the final screen at either 4K or 1080p depending on the TV used.

No. There's two modes in TLOU, 1800p/60 and 4k/30 if I remember correctly. He's referring to the 4k/30 mode.

Gestault

The moment chosen in this earlier screen-cap to dismiss the performance variation is so obviously insincere, just looking at the line graph or the video itself.

Edit: Sorry that wasn't clearer. I was saying dracula_x was being insincere.

What bummers me is that there is not an option for 1080p, for 1080p. HDTV owners for example. Downsampling is nice, but not for worse performance. Give people the choice. Also why not going for 1440p with locked 60 fps, like Titanfall 2? There is already a native 4k mode for those who wants it. Give people who prefer locked 60fps a better option. 1800p seems too much.

renzolama

It's really sad to see fanboy culture so hugely on display in this thread

The apologism and "who cares, it's only <x> fps" is very disconcerting for the future of PS4 Pro development. They're already favoring visual effects over performance, which was a major disappointment for 1080p gamers, and now they're being told that not only is it okay if the PS4 Pro version doesn't run faster than the base, it's actually fine if it runs even slower. 1-2 fps becomes 3-5 fps becomes 10-15 fps, that's the nature of business-driven software development; they'll try to save cost wherever consumers will let them get away with it, it's basic profit economics. This is a big deal. If you want to accept lower fps for better IQ that's obviously your valid opinion, but to dismiss people that are upset about it is bad for the consumer base as a whole.

Yopis

Your incorrect.

Check your facts before replying.

jett

D-Member
The moment chosen in that screen-cap to dismiss the performance variation is so obviously insincere, just looking at the line graph or the video itself.

...? Did you look at the line graph? The pro is consistently below the regular PS4 (we really need a shorthand for this). In the video, when the game buckles under load, the Pro nearly always drops more frames.

holygeesus

Banned
Surely if non-patched games run the same as PS4 base versions on the Pro, it must be an easy fix?

Have to say, I was going to buy one at the weekend, but will hold off for a bit I think.

Top Bottom