• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 + Star Wars Battlefront ad

You didnt like the commercial because it didnt have gameplay, but you praise halo commercials when they dont have gameplay. Regarding hunt the truth and master chief, i thought he died 3 games ago lol

Actually the launch trailer I directly compared it to does have gameplay.

do you start every conversation with a disclosure on what platforms you play video games?

No, but seeing as how I was about to be critical of the ad, and of the console advertised in it, I figured I'd save others the trouble of looking up my history and then dismissing anything I said because of it.

I'll just point out something, SW>>>>>H5

Opinions are great, aren't they :) Personally I'm more hyped about the game with the Single Player, Co-op, and large scale battles, that has voice chat, and likely superior gunplay, tho that remains to be seen. Not to mention Arena shooter gameplay which needs to make a comeback.

Alucrid

Banned
I'll start with full disclosure that I'm an Xbox gamer primarily and a PC gamer in a secondary manor, (last pc game bought was homeland remaster).

It was a good ad, but it pales compared to the recently Halo Launch Trailer. (which in turn benefited from the outstanding Hunt the Truth ad campaign) Of course it stirred my youth with the SW music, but no gameplay? I dunno, I think my meh reaction to the actual gameplay in the beta colors my reception to this ad too. I'm sure the masses will eat it up, given the appeal of starwars but no SP, and basic rather uninspired game play really make this a wait for EA Access Vault title for me, dampening any hype a non representative commercial could generate in me.

Also that ps4 LE console is uninspired and the controller is fugly, I'd cut that part if I were Sony.
do you start every conversation with a disclosure on what platforms you play video games?

alterno69

Banned
Actually the launch trailer I directly compared it to does have gameplay.
Like 30 seconds.

I'm sorry but this holiday i think SW > Halo, and i'm a Halo fan, it's just that the franchise has been in a steady decline since H3 imo.

I know in the end it will probably be the better game but SW is going to kill it this holiday considering a freaking movie is coming out and this ad>Halo ad

I'll start with full disclosure that I'm an Xbox gamer primarily and a PC gamer in a secondary manor, (last pc game bought was homeland remaster).

It was a good ad, but it pales compared to the recently Halo Launch Trailer. (which in turn benefited from the outstanding Hunt the Truth ad campaign) Of course it stirred my youth with the SW music, but no gameplay? I dunno, I think my meh reaction to the actual gameplay in the beta colors my reception to this ad too. I'm sure the masses will eat it up, given the appeal of starwars but no SP, and basic rather uninspired game play really make this a wait for EA Access Vault title for me, dampening any hype a non representative commercial could generate in me.

Also that ps4 LE console is uninspired and the controller is fugly, I'd cut that part if I were Sony.

Oh we know your allegiance, you have been quite vocal in numerous threads! :)

I'll just point out something, SW>>>>>H5!

You didnt like the commercial because it didnt have gameplay, but you praise halo commercials when they dont have gameplay. Regarding hunt the truth and master chief, i thought he died 3 games ago lol

10 points for gryffindor! :)

Their marketing is top notch. Whomever company they have been using for all of their ads... Kudos.

Think it is the same company that did the weird baby in the room ps3 ads. Feels like the same director/editing team to me.

That...actually made me tear up. I have a friend just like that and I haven't seen him for a while, but just last night we texted about Star Wars (sent him a picture of the BR's I had bought).

Loved the ending

03lUqDy.png

I'll start with full disclosure that I'm a PlayStation gamer primarily and a PC gamer in a secondary manor, (last pc game bought was the second release of Primal Carnage).

Those hunt the truth ads were good, but it pales compared to the recently Battlefront Trailer. (which in turn benefited from the outstanding poster and new trailer ad campaign) Of course it stirred my youth with the memories of always seeing Halo ads and other console ads, but no gameplay? I dunno, I think my meh reaction to the actual gameplay I've seen colors my reception to these ads too. I'm sure the masses will eat it up, given the appeal of Halo but basic rather uninspired game play really make this a wait for when a friend gets bored and wants to play it for me, dampening any hype a non representative commercial could generate in me.

Also that Halo XBone LE console is uninspired and the asymmetrical color scheme is fugly, I'd cut that part if I were Microsoft.

Or something?

nib95

Banned
I'll start with full disclosure that I'm a PlayStation gamer primarily and a PC gamer in a secondary manor, (last pc game bought was the second release of Primal Carnage).

Those hunt the truth ads were good, but it pales compared to the recently Battlefront Trailer. (which in turn benefited from the outstanding poster and new trailer ad campaign) Of course it stirred my youth with the memories of always seeing Halo ads and other console ads, but no gameplay? I dunno, I think my meh reaction to the actual gameplay I've seen colors my reception to these ads too. I'm sure the masses will eat it up, given the appeal of Halo but basic rather uninspired game play really make this a wait for when a friend gets bored and wants to play it for me, dampening any hype a non representative commercial could generate in me.

Also that Halo XBone LE console is uninspired and the asymmetrical color scheme is fugly, I'd cut that part if I were Microsoft.

Or something?

Lol. Not a bad effort.

Or something?

That's cute, but it does fall apart in that the trailer I referred to actually has game play, and I've got hands on with the game for which the ad I'm commenting on is for in the form of the beta, which you don't claim here.

And seeing as how I've said my piece and I feel a dog pile setting up I'll just bow out of this thread. Good ad, mind blowing? Meh.

This is becoming a habit of yours?!?

What? Having an opinion? Or deciding that responding to the 20 people it offends isn't something I want to continue doing? Have a nice night man, lol.

Game4life

Banned
That's cute, but it does fall apart in that the trailer I referred to actually has game play, and I've got hands on with the game for which the ad I'm commenting on is for in the form of the beta, which you don't claim here.

And seeing as how I've said my piece and I feel a dog pile setting up I'll just bow out of this thread. Good ad, mind blowing? Meh.

You keep threatening to bow out but you dont. No one cares about your Halo excitement in this thread.

I've actually kind of enjoyed the Halo live action/cg stuff. Never would I shit on the ad campaign of the console I do not own simply because it isn't for my favorite game or because it isn't AS good as my favorite ("so neener neener").

"It's a good ad but have you seen Halo's?" is pretty immature.

jesus can we please not have another thread filled with console wars

anyways, great ad, john williams hype is too good. reminds me of being a kid, for sure. i think we all fought lightsabers, played with the toys, etc.

trailer tomorrow, then movie in december... i wish my nephew was old enough to go.

In my opinion, when the video profiles the fact that Rebels won, you know it's a rare thing.

Good trailer though.

Well once, me and my team figured out what to do, I actually enjoyed more playing on the rebel side, as it was more challenging and we lost less games.

Simo

Wow that was an awesome ad and hit me in the feels. I had two of those R2 toys too growing up because my first one, yeah the stickers and paint came off from use plus I lost the little blue lightsaber. lol

I heard there's also another live action ad for Battlefront that'll debut for release too.

BigDug13

In my opinion, when the video profiles the fact that Rebels won, you know it's a rare thing.

Good trailer though.

Beta. Game is new. People are ALL newbs. Obvious path to victory lays ahead of imperials and they capitalize in the early days. They showcase this by winning a lot. After a time, strategies develop within the community. Tactics change when spawning as rebel. Tides turn as new strats are employed and rebels see the pathway to victory that Dice intended.

Can balance and should balance still be tweaked? Absolutely! Does early days of a brand new game with only traditional battle strategies showcase how the game's balance should be tweaked? Probably not.

I think the best thing about it is how it's appealing to people who grew up with Star Wars and how there's not just a new film, but also a game. Get your hype levels ready because Star Wars is back!

Ploid 3.0

I kinda regret not being a Star Wars fan, especially from childhood. I was a bit too young when it was on tv as a kid, but I do remember the light swords. Seeing this trailer makes being a fan and growing up with it seems very rewarding since the franchise is still going today.

But I thought gaf hated them real-life-turn-into-video-game things

;)

This kind of reminded me of that long ad with the guy talking to the camera as he walk down the street after getting out of a car. The ending of that video is what this one reminds me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdW1OuZ1U0

I kinda regret not being a Star Wars fan, especially from childhood. I was a bit too young when it was on tv as a kid, but I do remember the light swords. Seeing this trailer makes being a fan and growing up with it seems very rewarding since the franchise is still going today.

Never too late to get in.

That classic Star Wars music really makes it, so HYPE! All the Star Wars merchandise ads before the release of VII, man it's going to be a crazy Christmas release.

Great commercial.

Good commercial, reminds me of the Titanfall commercial.

Eh, not quite. The nostalgia tugging Star Wars memories are what sells the commercial, vs look at me and my cool robot.

The only thing they have in common is real-life to games angle.

Top Bottom