• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 Usb Game Emulator first details

synce

Not paying $100 for whatever they're planning. Interested to see when a free solution will appear though

Minions

A lot of places think this is bunk... as I believe it was posted by a twitter account that claims to be associated, and has/had previously posted some obviously incorrect tweets.... at least that is what I read when I searched. Also something about a vita release they announced and never delivered on or something.

Yabo

Banned
A lot of places think this is bunk... as I believe it was posted by a twitter account that claims to be associated, and has/had previously posted some obviously incorrect tweets.... at least that is what I read when I searched. Also something about a vita release they announced and never delivered on or something.

Vita was likely updated and made it null. This will be updated a week later and make it null for most ps4 users. I'm really intrigued by this, mainly, I'd like to see:

More storage space internally and externally
Some way to transfer profiles and games via usb like 360 used to be able to do.
Cheats for offline play. PS3 has some cool ways to add cheats/mods with a cfw ps3.
Ps3/Ps2/Vita emulation. CFW on ps3 unlocked the ps3's true potential.

liquidtmd

Banned
I truly hope Sony step up their game this year and at least be able to permaban online profiles / accounts attached to people using this if it becomes unblockable (and at this stage by this team I doubt it is)

You want to run unauthorized software on your machine, you can take your choice do it offline.

I truly hope Sony step up their game this year and at least be able to permaban online profiles / accounts attached to people using this if it becomes unblockable (and at this stage by this team I doubt it is)

You want to run unauthorized software on your machine, you can take your choice do it offline.

Yeah they better ban the accounts and console as soon as they hit online. No need for the shit show the PS3 was for how easy it was to mod games online.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah they better ban the accounts and console as soon as they hit online. No need for the shit show the PS3 was for how easy it was to mod games online.

Exactly

For every one genuine homebrew enthusiast, there's several kids that will want to just use the methodology to download as many games as possible and use cheat mods online.

Sony plz - give them something to think about in terms of banning their consoles to online play. I don't want to see this shit online again to the extent of PS3.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why would you need to run a ps2 game on ps2 USB for any other reason than piracy?

Don't care to fix/replace my ps2 laser if it breaks. I currently play games through SMB ethernet via Open PS2 Loader. Considered usb but didn't go that route due to speed.

The other option if you have a phat is internal hdd. Thats best for speed, but involves a little more tinkering.

Can someone explain in layman's terms what this means?

Someone has found a way to exploit security weakness of the PS4 by executing software code off of an external USB drive connected to the PS4's USB slot. Thus enabling them them to run emulators, and other programs not authorized by Sony. Emulators can potentially allow you to play PS1/PS2 games.

Darknight

Sony should be smart as MS and ban just the system's ability to connect to PSN just to keep those people buying hardware if they want to play online again.

But perma ban the account if it indeed has hacked trophies/pirated content linked with account.

If this is real, its cool and all but we dont need hackers fucking up game servers.

I remember True Blue dongle was about $100 i guarantee this will be equal or more.Rumors about PS4 jailbreak been coming for months especially out of Brazil as they claim to be selling jailbreaks as a service there.

There is also a a Bluefin dongle coming for Vita though it requires launching backups via an online authentication server i guess run by Cobra.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why would you need to run a ps2 game on ps2 USB for any other reason than piracy?

Back when I used my modded PS2 regularly custom Guitar Hero DLC's were my main go-to. USB is more convenient than burning disks and hoping that everything writes correctly.

Hope sony will do a major security update in next firmware to block these devices. Because of these things sony is not allowing External USB devices and it will not happen anymore after these USB hacks.

c0de

Hope sony will do a major security update in next firmware to block these devices. Because of these things sony is not allowing External USB devices and it will not happen anymore after these USB hacks.

I don't know why they have USB at all. They could use USB but with a different connector, for example.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't know why they have USB at all. They could use USB but with a different connector, for example.

If you're saying use a proprietary alternative to USB, that sounds like a total pain in the ass. The consumer shouldn't be punished because of faults in sony's security.

MogCakes

Force of nature really. Where there's demand, there will be a provider. It's impressive it's taken this long for them to get into the PS4 proper. There will always be hyper-curious people driven to get into the system and cheaters who jump on the bandwagon.

border

Will this allow me to play and store P.T. even if I switch over to a new PS4? If so, then I am completely in favor of it.

If you're saying use a proprietary alternative to USB, that sounds like a total pain in the ass. The consumer shouldn't be punished because of faults in sony's security.

The problem is that sony using existing open source operating system compared to Microsofts their own closed system where they can control the security as they know all, so sony cant patch easily those existing security loop holes found in FreeBSD and their architecture is close to PC now.

Probably FW 1.76. That's about less than 1% of the current install base I suppose.

Nothing confirmed so far on which fw these hacks can run.

Btw, how did PS3 CFW develop in the meantime? Afaik, the journey ended on 3.56 and piracy was done when devs were forced to patch their games to newer firmwares. But that was in like 2012? Did anything significant happen since then (in terms of security breaches, homebrew i still possible due to no FW restrictions I guess).

Looks like Sony fucked up.

Bring on the PS5.

I don't know what's going on except for butts on glass.

LOL. The website the OP visits/links one of the posters on that forum posted this.

"F*** Cobra and their paid DRM crap...hope someone cracks it.....charging for PIRACY is BS" These fucking guys.

c0de

How? Punished? Pain in the ass? They could use USB but with a different connector, no need for a new protocol, it's fine.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How? Punished? Pain in the ass? They could use USB but with a different connector, no need for a new protocol, it's fine.

Which would require us to have another one off cable that only works with the one device, that would need to be rebought from Sony when it breaks - as opposed to just using the USB standard that everyone has plenty of open alternatives for.

Proprietary connections and hardware is not the answer to the problem, and even if it were it would be a poor one. Proprietary hardware just for the sake of it deserves a deep grave.

ZXFSzFR.gif

DiscoJer

Which would require us to have another one off cable that only works with the one device, that would need to be rebought from Sony when it breaks - as opposed to just using the USB standard that everyone has plenty of open alternatives for.

Proprietary connections and hardware is not the answer to the problem, and even if it were it would be a poor one. Proprietary hardware just for the sake of it deserves a deep grave.

Vita vs PSP is a good example of this.

PSP had cheap memory sticks (while Sony's format, anyone could make them) and it connected to a computer as a USB device using a standard cable.

Vita? Expensive as hell memory sticks and proprietary file management system you have to use to get content to/from the Vita, which makes it just not worth the hassle.

Asd202

Looks like Sony fucked up.

Bring on the PS5.

I don't know what's going on except for butts on glass.

LOL. The website the OP visits/links one of the posters on that forum posted this.

"F*** Cobra and their paid DRM crap...hope someone cracks it.....charging for PIRACY is BS" These fucking guys.

Crackception.

Top Bottom