• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

If one really does care about performance and being more up to date about it, shouldn't this one not rather be on the PC gaming side?

For me, one of the benefits of consoles, moderate updates within reasonable timeframes and more affordable pricing, is really compromised with this.

Now if intial pricing of the hardware would be lower, and prices of updates hardware would be too, it wouldn't be that much of a tricky thing.

All games are not available on PC. Why is it not acceptable to want better performance out of exclusives too? Especially if that is one of your main draws to the platform. The jump between the TLOU and TLOU Remastered should answer your question.

GlamFM

Banned
People who care about performance should and could get a PC. If a three years console cycle becomes standard, the PC route would be cheaper anyway.

Would love to see the math on that - I don´t think it´s true at all.

Even if you don´t upgrade your GPU every couple of years your base PC is still as expensive as a PS4+PS4K.

Nocturno999

can't help but feel PS4K will sell like shit. how many people here have 4K TVs?

They are not. People that haven't bought one will get it and the older versions will be phased out.

After playing the Final Fantasy demo I realized that PS4K can't come soon enough. Game looks rough and I don't want to imagine how it will run on the XBO.

I wish I was excited, I could sell my old PS4 for this but Sony's services and anemic exclusive library makes me wonder if it will be worth it.

The architecture allows simple scaling. The SPE fuckup with the gimped RSX was a different situation. That is why it is now feasible to add incremental hardware upgrades.

The problem is that you feel degraded to a 2nd grade standard. That is the problem I've stated. The PS4 will get their content as far their capabilities reach. It is simple to scale down the experience from the same architecture. This works with smartphones, computers, televisions, .... and with consoles it starts being a problem? Come on/QUOTE]

When Apple upgrade iPhone 6 to 6s I can still make the same quality of calls as my wife does, the browser will still allow me to browse the net and when you buy into PC gaming you know from the start it's an iterative cycle.

If Sony had turned round and said from the beginning were going to drop a significantly upgraded (based on OP) do you believe the machine would have been as successful as it has? When you buy into console gaming you accept the fact your not going to get the bleeding edge of tech but you do assume you have the same platform as everyone else your playing alongside

Yeah, because new computer parts are only released every 10 years or so.

This thread....

And BTW, Nintendo started this.

Nintendo does upgraded models in the handheld market since generations. We are talking about the console market. The handheld and console markets are very different, obviously.

People who think a PS5 (PS4k) will not hurt the performance of new games on PS4 are naive. The people who want to spend much money on games and hardware are the first adopting a new console. Developers and publishers know this and will put much effort to please this people. PS4 support will be continued but it will be an afterthought, like PS3 support when PS4 came out.

DavidDesu

I don't understand the fear that the PS4 will hold game design back. How is that any different to PC? On PC if you make a crazy high tech game that can get played on only a handful of expensive rigs then you make that choice knowing you'll get fewer sales, hence most PC games are quite adaptable to operate on very differently specced machines.

I don't get how Sony is the big bad for giving people an option to play with beefed up graphics, publishers won't sell games that are that far ahead that the PS4 won't run them reasonably well.

To be honest the ps4 will run these future games as well as they were always going to, but for those who want that higher end experience that would simply not exist in the console space traditionally, they will now have that option. The jump isn't that big that fundamental game design will be drastically more ambitious. We're talking about higher res, higher frame rates, a few nicer effects or better textures, that's it. It's the exact same spectrum of experiences that PC gaming contends with just fine. The sky won't fall in!

So much bullshit in this thread.

This is simply like getting a new graphics card for you PC and nothing else.

But it's not. There a ton of logistics here to consider:
-The possibility that games become less optimized for PS4 1.0
-The possibility that this becomes a growing trend and that the console convenience factor is completely disrupted
-the possibility of significant stratification of the PS4
-the possibility that the performance gains aren't all that and in the end Sony's messaging is muddled leading to market confusion and harms the brand with oversaturation
-Games that are altered significantly with significant sacrifices to be compatible with PS4 1.0

I'm sorry but your sentiment is willingly dismissive.

GlamFM

Banned
Nintendo does upgraded models in the handheld market since generations. We are talking about the console market. The handheld and console markets are very different, obviously.

People who think a PS5 (PS4k) will not hurt the performance of new games on PS4 are naive. The people who want to spend much money on games and hardware are the first adopting a new console. Developers and publishers know this and will put much effort to please this people. PS4 support will be continued but it will be an afterthought, like PS3 support when PS4 came out.

PS4 "Support" is really the wrong way to call it. PS4 remains the platform. EVERY game will run on both.

The architecture allows simple scaling. The SPE fuckup with the gimped RSX was a different situation. That is why it is now feasible to add incremental hardware upgrades.

The problem is that you feel degraded to a 2nd grade standard. That is the problem I've stated. The PS4 will get their content as far their capabilities reach. It is simple to scale down the experience from the same architecture. This works with smartphones, computers, televisions, .... and with consoles it starts being a problem? Come on/QUOTE]

When Apple upgrade iPhone 6 to 6s I can still make the same quality of calls as my wife does, the browser will still allow me to browse the net and when you buy into PC gaming you know from the start it's an iterative cycle.

If Sony had turned round and said from the beginning were going to drop a significantly upgraded (based on OP) do you believe the machine would have been as successful as it has? When you buy into console gaming you accept the fact your not going to get the bleeding edge of tech but you do assume you have the same platform as everyone else your playing alongside

Maybe it is time for that assumption to change then? The market will determine whether this is the right move. I have feeling Sony will still sell a ton of base model PS4s and enough PS4Ks to justify it's existence right from the start.

GHG

Gold Member
They're behind what? Progress? Innovation? I don't understand what it is they're behind.

Exactly.

If you ever needed evidence that people are against change, even if it will likely result in a net positive result then this thread is it.

The_Lump

Banned
My (not very) bold prediction/theory:

I reckon after testing VR on PS4 Sony just wasn't happy with the combination of frame rate and resolution they were able to acheive. They needed more power but didn't want a) to make PS4 sound weaksauce and b) to alienate their PS4 userbase by saying "yeah sorry VR isn't going to work very well on your current console...) Thus "PS4K" was born in an attempt to disguise the hardware upgrade as an just optional bonus for gamers who wanted 4K movies/gaming.

I predict, due to the lack of a solid userbase (and with PS4s massive install base sitting right there!), that PS4K will be almost exclusively used by VR devs to run their games at a decent HD resolution.

GlamFM

Banned
But it's not. There a ton of logistics here to consider:
-The possibility that games become less optimized for PS4 1.0
-The possibility that this becomes a growing trend and that the console convenience factor is completely disrupted
-the possibility of significant stratification of the PS4
-the possibility that the performance gains aren't all that and in the end Sony's messaging is muddled leading to market confusion and harms the brand with oversaturation
-Games that are altered significantly with significant sacrifices to be compatible with PS4 1.0

I'm sorry but your sentiment is willingly dismissive.

I´m 100% convinced that you will be able to play online between the 2 platforms.

That should give you an idea.

You´re overreacting.

I reckon after testing VR on PS4 Sony just wasn't happy with the combination of frame rate and resolution they were able to acheive. They needed more power but didn't want a) to make PS4 sound weaksauce and b) to alienate their PS4 userbase by saying "yeah sorry VR isn't going to work very well on your current console...) Thus "PS4K" was born in an attempt to disguise the hardware upgrade as an just optional bonus for gamers who wanted 4K movies/gaming.

I predict, due to the lack of a solid userbase (and with PS4s massive install base sitting right there!), that PS4K will be almost exclusively used by VR devs to run their games at a decent HD resolution.

I predict you did not read the OP.

I reckon after testing VR on PS4 Sony just wasn't happy with the combination of frame rate and resolution they were able to acheive. They needed more power but didn't want a) to make PS4 sound weaksauce and b) to alienate their PS4 userbase by saying "yeah sorry VR isn;t going to work very well on your current console...) Thus "PS4K was born in an attempt to disguise the hardware upgrade as an just optional bonus for gamers who wanted 4K movies/gaming.

I don't think this thing will deliver 4K games though. This sounds like more of a 1080p60 guarantee machine. PC gamers will tell you what it takes to achieve 4k with all the settings turned up.

Ted

The reason I like gaming on consoles is that it is a relatively cheap way to pass the time whilst still being able to play most of the big new games on a broadly level hardware playing field.

I'm not in any way interested or able to justify the cost of upgrading every two or three years and as a PS4 owner I refuse to pay the same price for a "gimped" version of a game because developers are targeting the PS4K going forward.

This news, if it ultimately plays out as described in the OP(*), pretty much puts me out of new/AAA gaming entirely. Disappointing for sure as I quite like playing video games but ultimately not the end of the world.
(*)"It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance."

THEaaron

The problem is that you feel degraded to a 2nd grade standard. That is the problem I've stated. The PS4 will get their content as far their capabilities reach. It is simple to scale down the experience from the same architecture. This works with smartphones, computers, televisions, .... and with consoles it starts being a problem? Come on

But if you compare an iPhone 5 vs iPhone6 it is obvious that the quality is different but both of you can access the content on the store. It is like steam with different powerful machines.

I really can't think of any advantage you can have by knowing that everyone has the same hardware as you.

But I was never bound to a platform in terms of gaming. I always had a powerful PC and most of the new consoles at any given time. I really don't care if someone has the PS4k and I don't when playing a new game. Why should I?

The_Lump

Banned
At first I'm like "this is shit" but then I was like "fuck it I have money, I will buy this".
image.php

doofy102

Maybe it is time for that assumption to change then? The market will determine whether this is the right move. I have feeling Sony will still sell a ton of base model PS4s and enough PS4Ks to justify it's existence right from the start.

It'll be hard to tell when the PS4K becomes the only available PS4. Does the PS4K sell because being made better than the PS4 was a good idea, or does it sell because it's a PS4?

KOHIPEET

In the world where the PS4K does not exist:

Games are released for OG PS4, but they're highly downgraded versions of PC games, or if they're exclusives they're downgraded from the original assets / vision in order to optimise the game and get it to run on weak hardware with a poor CPU.

In the world where the PS4K exists:

Games are released for OG PS4, but they're highly downgraded versions of PC games, or if they're exclusives they're downgraded from the original assets / vision in order to optimise the game and get it to run on weak hardware with a poor CPU, and also you also have a '4k version' for the PS4k that gets closer to that original spec / PC version.

...so what's the problem here? If you're just a PS4 owner nothing has really changed for you. You're getting the same games.

Quoting so more people can read this.

GlamFM

Banned
Thanks for the assurance, nostrodamus

I´m not Nostradamus, I just spent 10 skill points on reading:

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Sorc3r3r

Thinking about this even more and a 2x improvement is bad, very bad, if this will mean a 4x improvement over the ps4 in a normal console generation with a ps5, even worse if devs will be locked in a nightmarish backward forward compatibility by Sony.

It will mean bad ports, not optimised games, bad use of the specific hardware features in the future console releases.

Things I would happily leave to the master racers.(lol)

The God

This whole outrage is ridiculous. Like, even if there are exclusive games, so what? PS4 will still have been its own platform for over three years, this not an inconsequential amount of time.

And the smug late adopters make even less sense. Why not take it to the next step and just hang on for the PS5 if you're such a savvy consumer?

the fuck are you talking about? The PS4 is not the Wii U. People have been waiting all gen for their first GOW, GTA etc so to turn around and say "Hey guys, the games you've been waiting for are finally here, but you spent that $400 on the wrong system to play them" would be pure fuckshit.

THEaaron

Thinking about this even more and a 2x improvement is bad, very bad, if this will mean a 4x improvement over the ps4 in a normal console generation with a ps5, even worse if devs will be locked in a nightmarish backward forward compatibility by Sony.

It will mean bad ports, not optimised games, bad use of the specific hardware features in the future console releases.

Things I would happily leave to the master racers.(lol)

You won't come into that dumb compatibility space when you don't change your architecture. That is the whole point.

The_Lump

Banned
I don't think this thing will deliver 4K games though. This sounds like more of a 1080p60 guarantee machine. PC gamers will tell you what it takes to achieve 4k with all the settings turned up.

Yeah by 4k gaming I just meant regular PS4 games, but in 4K. But yeah we'll probably see compromises if developers want to hit a locked framerate.

Dude, I support the idea.

What I meant with "they are behind it" ---> They all "support" the idea. They are "pro-upgrade".

Sorry, My bad. You can understand why I was quick to respond in that manner. There's been a few threads already and most are filled with obscene amounts of fear mongering,

Raist

Banned
Who is "he", "they"?

And why are we having another rumour with the same foundation but just contradicts other ones on several points again and everyone seems to be ignoring this?

Imagine devs who already do sloppy work on consoles like Ubisoft, Bethesda...

just imagine their PS4 versions if PS4K is out there...

This will be fucking savage.

My biggest fear, really. The big developers like Ubisoft already feed you pre-recorded bullshots worth of cutscenes masked as gameplay. They can bullshit and say "Everything is realtime". They will downgrade the game, which they always do, and finally show us gameplay. It looks similar but not quite the same, but they insist it's "Running on PS4 hardware". Come launch date and you realize that it was running on PS4K and that OG PS4 doesn't look or play as smoothly or pretty.

Eventually, we may never see how a game plays in OG PS4 until Digital Foundry does a comparison video, or until the game is actually released, and that may be trouble. It'll be the same where you rarely got to see how a multiplaform game plays on PS3 until it's release.

Sorc3r3r

You won't come into that dumb compatibility space when you don't change your architecture. That is the whole point.

You mean that regardless of technology progresses that may offer substantial performance boost trought different architectures Sony will stick to an ancient configuration to allow back and forward compatibility in its ecosystems?

If it's like that it's plain awful in my opinion.

GHG

Gold Member
By that logic, why not have yearly updates like phones? Not like technology ever stops progressing.

That might we be where we are heading. The whole concept of a console "generation" could be dying right in front of our eyes.

The net positives such as infinite backwards compatibility and the ability to play multiplayer with people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford the latest and greatest hardware far outweigh the negative insecurities that people might feel because the console hardware they currently own is now outdated.

No more backwards compatibility begging, no more remaster begging, no more having thousands of pounds/dollars/yen worth of software being made redundant because you moved on to the next "generation" of console.

The PC is a timeless gaming machine. IOS also is to a certain extent (notwithstanding the blunders certain publishers cough*capcom*cough have made in failing to update their games compatible with newer hardware interations) and it's about time the console space finally got with the program.

Top Bottom