• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

No sorry, this is just you believing that better hardware automatically means no issues.
Ask all the PC guys how a Titan is going to help when a game is rushed and simply broken at launch.

You can't even completly rule out that the version on the more powerful plattform will have more issues compared to the weaker one when devs put more optimization into the latter.
Depends on the target and how much time and work is spend on achieving that target.

I never said they won't be any issues .
Also i don't think devs will be doing a lot of optimization for PS4K.
And will just use the extra power to brute force stuff .

THE:MILKMAN

I do have more information but have decided not to post it. Boogz brought something to my attention last night and after sleeping on it, he is right. Also Diana of Themyscira is not sure who all has access to her information outside of Mr Wayne so I will not throw her under the bus.

The only thing I can add is that after checking around the date seems to be in question. Diana suggests the holiday 2016 date is not what she has heard and is early. Mr Wayne is sure that its holiday 2016. Her belief is that they wont even announce until after the holiday to try to get rid of as many OG units as possible during the holiday without the new sku interfering with the PSVR and OG sku sales.

So it could be the case that it might not even be revealed until December?

I really do worry Sony are trying to smoke leakers out........I think I would bow out if I was you!

geordiemp

I do have more information but have decided not to post it. Boogz brought something to my attention last night and after sleeping on it, he is right. Also Diana of Themyscira is not sure who all has access to her information outside of Mr Wayne so I will not throw her under the bus.

The only thing I can add is that after checking around the date seems to be in question. Diana suggests the holiday 2016 date is not what she has heard and is early. Mr Wayne is sure that its holiday 2016. Her belief is that they wont even announce until after the holiday to try to get rid of as many OG units as possible during the holiday without the new sku interfering with the PSVR and OG sku sales.

If they were serious about 2017 then why would Sony even speak to commercial retailers now, they would surely keep it well under wraps for allot longer.

The news is already out, so Sony sitting on things for a year would make no commercial sense unless they hope its just a few enthusiasts and people forget.

Sony could be testing the market and doing controlled leaks, they have 10,000 posts in this thread alone.

I for one respect and appreciate your restraint, seems like we all should make sure that our expectations are in balance on June 14th...

komorebi

This is an honest question I have.

Don't you need a 50 inch TV to get the most out of 4k TV watching?

If I'm wrong, fine..

If that is true, then what if you're gaming in a small bedroom where 50 inches would be ridiculous?

Not sure how small your bedroom is, but I have a 50 inch in mine (my 2nd bedroom is my gaming/PC room). Its the perfect size imo.

If they were serious about 2017 then why would Sony even speak to commercial retailers now, they would surely keep it well under wraps for allot longer.

The news is already out, so Sony sitting on things for a year would make no commercial sense unless they hope its just a few enthusiasts and people forget.

They probably want it out at the end of the year at a certain price point as well. Yields may make that difficult

Asd202

Makes sense also wonder how this "rumor" will affect sales in the coming months.

onQ123

We're not going to have PS3-esque game improvements over time. In the PS3 days, the Cell CPU was notoriously difficult to work with, with Sony having poor documentation and dev tools in comparison to what MS provided with the 360.

MS4cQd8NgPNa8.gif

geordiemp

$399 price point = Puma+ cores

$499 price point = Zen cores + GDDR5X

Is that correct? I hope they go big this time around. Make it a truly premium console, Sony.

OG PS4 will still sell decently at $249.

Oh I am totally with you, the weak link in Ps4 for achieving 1080p60 on big games like Witcher3 is CPU + bandwidth.

Zen + GDDR5X and I am in no thoughts day 1, lower and I will contemplate the specs.

MADGAME

If I'm wrong, fine..

If that is true, then what if you're gaming in a small bedroom where 50 inches would be ridiculous?

If that is the case, then this machine would need to have benefits that have nothing to do with 4k resolutions to make that worthwhile.

If it's twice as powerful or whatever, and a significant portion of the games look much better and move at a better clip, that's the biggest screwing over that any company has done in our industry's history.

Viewing distance from your tv is also relevant. After a certain distance (scaled to the size of your screen), 4k no longer matters because at lower resolutions you wouldn't notice the lesser amount of pixels

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

If I'm wrong, fine..

If that is the case, then this machine would need to have benefits that have nothing to do with 4k resolutions to make that worthwhile.

If it's twice as powerful or whatever, and a significant portion of the games look much better and move at a better clip, that's the biggest screwing over that any company has done in our industry's history.

It is what they say, but I personally have always been sensitive to pixel density, so when I seen a 43" 4K set by Sony, it looked far cleaner (less jaggie) than a 1080p set of the same size. Even with 1080p content being upscaled. But that is just with me, and the further you are away, the less noticeable it is. However, there are finer details in 4K content that even distance does not make up for in 1080p. Fabrics with fine thin patterns, or certain complex textures on walls and rocks in movies and shows are still discernible in 4K over 1080p.

There are very few 4K sets below 48" anyhow. Picked up a 50" myself, and it is glorious. I sit about 6 feet or so away.

Memento

Really? So they are not going to announce it at E3? That sounds dumb. Everyone and their cats will be waiting for an official statement about it at E3. People will be pissed. Including me btw.

geordiemp

If I'm wrong, fine..

I have a 55 inch 4K panny 802x, and I just watch 1080p stuff, I hae a few 4K demos and I need to put glasses on and get close. Once you having to pause and move towards the TV and squint with reading glasses at fine details....nah for me...

IMO you dont need 4K, its hardly noticeable, I sit 8 ft from this TV. Most posters seem to want a more capable 60 FPS console for games like the witcher, or no mans sky PSVR....etc

I can easily tell DVD vs blu ray. Blu ray vs 4K I just dont see THAT MUCH BENEFIT, but I guess it is noticeable.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-resolution-201312153517.htm

If I'm wrong, fine..

Naw I think nintendo has them beat 2 gens, selling ancient hardware at a premium and hiding the specs that what I called being screwed, giving a option to have better hardware If you want is not being screwed over. If you think that's being screwed over then everything single company is guilty of it.

DieH@rd

Banned

This makes sense. I really saw no point of this being announced at this E3. Slim versions are usually announced weeks before them hitting the stores, so that there is less chance of people "waiting for newel model".

OuterLimits

I don't know, I kind of feel this generation has been kind of blah so far. It's been okay, but it still feels like it really hasn't kicked into high gear.

So an upgraded system seems a bit early on right now. The N3DS came out a year ago, after 4 years of amazing games and it felt like the end of the generation anyway. Most 3DS games don't have any difference between the systems. However, we do have some examples like Hyrule Warriors. Granted, portable systems remind me more of mobile than traditional home consoles, so upgraded systems doesn't seem that unusual. Easier to sell a $200 upgrade than a $500 one as well.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Sony could be testing the market and doing controlled leaks, they have 10,000 posts in this thread alone.

And over 200 pages. Thought only Nintendo could pull that off these days...lol.

Kezen

Banned
I'm more confused than crushed. I hate to be the debbie downer of the thread but this is feeling more and more odd to me.

We know it's real, just the release date seems vague.

A new fixed target is incoming (possibly two with Microsoft's inexorable response) and as someone who won't buy either I'm incredibly excited, for the positive impact it will have on PC gaming alone.

OuterLimits

This makes sense. I really saw no point of this being announced at this E3. Slim versions are usually announced weeks before them hitting the stores, so that there is less chance of people "waiting for newel model".

That is risky as well. I would be pissed if I bought a PS4 during the holiday and then found out in Jan an upgraded model was coming out. Remember this has not really happened before in the home console market, so people wouldn't be expecting a 4.5 to release. This isn't just a slim model like in the past, but likely a decent upgrade where games will play better on the newer model.

We know it's real, just the release date seems vague.

A new fixed target is incoming (possibly two with Microsoft's inexorable response) and as someone who won't buy either I'm incredibly excited, for the positive impact it will have on PC gaming alone.

I said I believe it is real earlier in the thread. That isn't the issue.

The issue is why would Sony be briefing retail on SKU/price/specs/games up to a year in advance?

PS4 was revealed in February 13' and pre-orders started in July? So I guess retail would have been briefed some time between? Or were they briefed in November 12'?

Jingo

Everyone is talking they just have the option, but lets be honest, if a more powerfull ps4 comes out, you know what happens:

Games are way more optimized on purpose( watch dogs was ridiculous on ps3, and it didnt had to be that way)

Exclusive exciting features

Social media will turn all their attencion to the new console

Exclusive games being the flagpole ( god of war 4, gran turismo 7, deep down)

Ps plus!!!, can you imagine them offering the same game on both consoles with different optimizations? They do that with ps3 but ps3 is death and no one cares for those games)

All this to resume that even if you feel good wirh your ps4, sony and social media will do everything to make you feel your missing the best experience.

geordiemp

I'm assuming because of the assumption that PSVR will need PS4k to fulfil its potential. If they market PSVR as being the complete experience on PS4, whilst knowing it really needs an upgraded console, that'd be pretty poor.

PSVR needs 1080 and a consistent (no drops) 60 frames per second, which are then reprojected to 120 FPs.

So the issue for Psvr is the 60 FPS, which would be tougher on some titles. Hence it would be logical to go with beefier CPU + more bandwidth, the doubling the GPU is not the issue on Ps4 imo. I guess most think Ps4 is too weak a CPU and too little bandwidth to run some games as fast as PSVR demands...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People forget that companies do this all of the time. For some reason, Sony is being asked to announce a product that is about a year away in order to protect people's feelings

Lol. I am going to forget all about it for a while as I am diving into my backlog, playing MLB The Show, soon R&C, and then UC4. Take your time Sony.

I'm assuming because of the assumption that PSVR will need PS4k to fulfil its potential. If they market PSVR as being the complete experience on PS4, whilst knowing it really needs an upgraded console, that'd be pretty poor.

It is a silly assumption. The ones they are showing on the PS4, look great now. Even more so with the VR immersion.

This new box is not being designed solely around VR, it is only one aspect, of many, that will benefit from more power.

But PSVR doesn't NEED PS4K to be the complete experience. Were you not around during GDC?

The PS4 is perfectly fine to use for PSVR.

Yep.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But PSVR doesn't NEED PS4K to be the complete experience. Were you not around during GDC?

The PS4 is perfectly fine to use for PSVR.

Lady Gaia

They are hitting the physical walls of semi conductor manufacture now

We've been hitting physical walls in semiconductor manufacture for decades, and finding clever solutions every step of the way. I remember in 1989 when 25MHz clock speeds were seen as some kind of limit because of inductive resonance occurring in 90-degree corners on traces, and some people thought it was the end of the road for clock scaling. We've learned a lot since then.

While single-core improvements have definitely slowed we're still making amazing gains through parallelism, and the great thing about graphics rendering is that it's an embarrassingly parallelizable problem.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've been a AAA console developer for 15 years, and I seriously can't believe this is happening.

I can't imagine publishers wanting this at all, basically decimating their install base.

Absolutely crazy.

Kyoufu

I've been a AAA console developer for 15 years, and I seriously can't believe this is happening.

I can't imagine publishers wanting this at all, basically decimating their install base.

Absolutely crazy.

How is it decimating their install base?

GHG

Gold Member

Absolutely crazy.

You're misunderstanding how this will work.

Is the install base decimated every time a new Apple/Android device or piece of PC hardware is released?

Absolutely crazy.

Have the publishers not already been informed?

To be honest I will be pissed if Sony releases a ps4.5 because I JUST got my ps4 and we're not even half way through this console generation.

Top Bottom