• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

Brohan

it shouldn't happen at all. and we should have a answer to why it happens.

I know its hard for some people not to take it as a personal attack against their console of choice but it is happening and I at least want to know why.

Oh i agree that it's weird and that it shouldn't happen but at the same time i believe the problem is being blown up and that we should be directing the questions to the developers of the games that lack AF since there are plenty of games that do have AF, which proves that the PS4 is perfectly capable of using it.

And i haven't seen anyone yet that took this as a personal attack. Some counter arguments but that's it.

geordiemp

Can someone post counter-example screenshots (of third-party PS4 games that do feature AF)?

Click on page 1, the order has every effect imaginable, and its RADs first game they made themselves, they really care.

When I see games like Evolve, thief etc cant run a good 30 FPS, have graphics AF / AA / , connection or other issues, it just tells me to avoid these games like the plague. I don't need to read a review.

OK, I am being a bit unfair, they are not worth £ 55, worth £ 20 or less bargain bin

Oh i agree that it's weird and that it shouldn't happen but at the same time i believe the problem is being blown up and that we should be directing the questions to the developers of the games that lack AF since there are plenty of games that do have AF, which proves that the PS4 is perfectly capable of using it.

And i haven't seen anyone yet that took this as a personal attack. Some counter arguments but that's it.

I don't think it's being blown up very much. It's mentioned in DF face-off threads and this is one of the few threads created addressing the issue.

pixlexic

Banned
Click on page 1, the order has every effect imaginable, and its RADs first game they made themselves, they really care.

When I see games like Evolve, thief etc cant run a good 30 FPS, have graphics AF / AA / , connection or other issues, it just tells me to avoid these games like the plague. I don't need to read a review.

thats not a multi plat third party game but there are third party games that are the same on both consoles. just about always lower than pc though.

the crew
AC unity
Dragon AGE : I

all the same AF

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I am really shocked that people dont find this easily as offensive as the resolution drop on most xbox one games. Lack of AF looks really bad to me

STEaMkb

Bf83Qjl.png

This is plain bizarre. It must be a development issue, not a raw performance issue.

I have speculated a while back that there could be a bug in middleware used for helping to port DirectX code that Sony would provide with the SDK

For titles where the lead platform is PC/Xbox, you mean to say?

Izuna

Banned

Ew, graphics really matter above all for you?

But I guess since I haven't been quoted yet I want to try again...

Xbone is most likely adding this on automatically in its SDK or whatever. As for PS4 it isn't, and has to be added by devs. Comparing with PC is moot because it will always have AF if the user sets it to have it.

This is really weird. On PC cranking up AF has virtually no impact on performance, it's not a demanding feature at all and it's obviously implemented in lots of other games including first party titles that have pushed the console the most so far.
This is really strange.

Yeah this is definitely weird. Worst thing is it's way more noticeable to me than say 1080p and 900p resolution. I know 900p has a bit of Vaseline like look to it but I can see a game with no or barely any AF a mile off when you can see like a circle round my character that's surrounded with proper textures and just blurrines outside of the circle. I remember GTA V having it quite bad on ps3. Just weird how I've noticed it a lot on PS4 games with just a line seperating the loaded textures to blurry ones.

But yeah it's weird as it is in some games and not in others. Definitely jarring to see for me that's for sure though. I hate it.

magnumpy

the answer seems obvious. If you have a game running at say 1080p on PS4 and 900p on XB1, lowering the quality of AF on PS4 might be necessary to get both games running at the same framerate. at that point you're trading AF quality for resolution. there will be no "investigation" into this issue, all the parameters are clearly defined and the cause is also clearly defined. there is no "mystery" to uncover.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Xbone is most likely adding this on automatically in its SDK or whatever. As for PS4 it isn't, and has to be added by devs. Comparing with PC is moot because it will always have AF if the user sets it to have it.

s8k5gwvy8e3qkfnqbr5v.jpg

JP

the answer seems obvious. If you have a game running at say 1080p on PS4 and 900p on XB1, lowering the quality of AF on PS4 might be necessary to get both games running at the same framerate. at that point you're trading AF quality for resolution. there will be no "investigation" into this issue, all the parameters are clearly defined and the cause is also clearly defined. there is no "mystery" to uncover.
AF doesn't relate to power in the way that resolution does, it doesn't work in the way that you can choose one or the other.

gtj1092

I'm guessing evolve looked better on ps4 in that DF thread on the first page hence this thread. Love the sprinkling of post bringing up preferring 900p too.

When strider doesn't have it I think its a developer problem and not a ps4 problem.

CozMick

Banned
I'm guessing evolve looked better on ps4 in that DF thread on the first page hence this thread.

When strider doesn't have it I think its a developer problem and not a ps4 problem.

Higher resolution, better performance, higher quality ambient occlusion, worse AF, guess which got its own thread?

pixlexic

Banned
I'm guessing evolve looked better on ps4 in that DF thread on the first page hence this thread.

This thread is because it keeps coming up. the last three DF face offs had the issue.

evolve
dying light
saints row

dont take it personally some of us just want to know why.

cheezcake

7 out of 300+ games

Right it's not common but it's still a Sony issue when competing platforms have no problem running AF, particularly a less powerful competing platform. Seriously there's no dev work generally required for it either, at least in openGL its just a basic API call.

Brohan

I don't think it's being blown up very much. It's mentioned in DF face-off threads and this is one of the few threads created addressing the issue.

When people act like it's a consistent problem and say that it shows up in about every DF article then i do believe that it is being blown up.

It's fine making a thread and discussing about it but I think we can do that without hyperbole.

Don't get me wrong, i think it's a weird problem and I don't understand why certain games lack AF but when comparing the amount of games that lack AF to the amount of games that do have AF, it makes me think that it's a developer thing and not a ps4 problem.

no maam

Banned
how does this prevent you from playing the game?
It doesn't, but it should be fixed. The ps4 is capable of doing it according to this thread. So the more the people talk about it the more likely it will get fixed. Unless it's like the black crush in Xbox where all the complaints fall short.

orochi91

This is plain bizarre. It must be a development issue, not a raw performance issue.

Of course it's a dev. issue.

Most games, even those that are quite demanding, have AF.

Sony's ICE team head already addressed that issue some time back; the PS4 is fully capable of AF.

geordiemp

Good last point, maybe you have to add it on Ps4. Still lazy devs though.

There are so many games to buy and play, I have a backlog of at least 15 games on Ps4 (Still got to play Black flag, First light, Dying light, Metro 2033).

So back to first point, I may see 10 games that interest me. If one of them runs like shit, makes the pool of games to choose from 9....If 3 of them are graphically superb, moves them up the pecking order.

So no I do not exclusively buy 1080p games, bought BF4 and that's 900p (and boy does it look poor on my Ax802 4k Panny compared to others). Makes choosing games a bit easier when some games have clear flaws (also micro transactions will be a turn off).

Games that are not polished show.

Higher resolution, better performance, higher quality ambient occlusion, worse AF, guess which got its own thread?

This is the third AAA game within a month's time to have AF implementation issues. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the issue, so go whine about another thread.

Withnail

My guess would be that the API is broken or missing for some reason. Devs that really want AF and have the time/budget/skill are making custom implementations using low level code.

jediyoshi

Do you have full screen shots? Cropping a photo and enlarging it obviously makes it look shitty.

It's a comparison photo, you're not gaining anything from seeing irrelevant parts unaffected by the issue. Also, the implication isn't that both look shitty.

Izuna

Banned
My guess would be that the API is broken or missing for some reason. Devs that really want AF and have the time/budget/skill are making custom implementations using low level code.

No way haha, it's probably just as simple as changing default to on, whereas default is 4-8x or whatever on Xbone.

This is basically free. I think that devs that forget to include the option in PC menus are the type of devs that seem to really not care about looking into it on console.

Although, Xbone has an issue where Full colour space is completely botched unless devs do something about it. We heard that they fixed it in new SDKs, on PS4 Sony just has to give a little bit of a shit and new SDKs will have it on by default.

Hahaha wow this thread is going to be fun this is only the first page hahahahahahaha.

You know, if you have 0 AF it appears more noticeable on 1080p than 900p, where even close details aren't as sharp. If AF even mattered at all on last gen hardware, I would take it over resolution, but it isn't. Every and all games that lack it could just be patched to have AF and will run like 98% the same.

madmackem

This thread is because it keeps coming up. the last three DF face offs had the issue.

evolve
dying light
saints row

dont take it personally some of us just want to know why.
And they are all third party multi console and One is multi gen, I think it's an issue at dev level as more ps4 games don't have at problems than the few that have it.

pixlexic

Banned
No way haha, it's probably just as simple as changing default to on, whereas default is 4-8x or whatever on Xbone.

This is basically free. I think that devs that forget to include the option in PC menus are the type of devs that seem to really not care about looking into it on console.

Although, Xbone has an issue where Full colour space is completely botched unless devs do something about it. We heard that they fixed it in new SDKs, on PS4 Sony just has to give a little bit of a shit and new SDKs will have it on by default.

it could very well be a simple fix but they wont do anything if everyone pretends its a non issue.

no maam

Banned
It's a comparison photo, you're not gaining anything from seeing irrelevant parts unaffected by the issue. Also, the implication isn't that both look shitty.
I was going under the assumption that if there's full screens side by side that the comparison wouldn't look as bad. Kind of like how if I sit a little further away, 900p Xbox games look as good as ps4 games.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I would actually make a money bet that if you grabbed 100 random people of the street and showed them those images on the first page they would notice the blurry assed floor textures and walls over any resolution difference. I would still rather have native 1080p and AF tho thats why ive made the conscious decision to go pc only for multiplatforms now. these consoles are too disappointing this time.

Izuna

Banned
I was going under the assumption that if there's full screens side by side that the comparison wouldn't look as bad. Kind of like how if I sit a little further away, 900p Xbox games look as good as ps4 games.

The lack of AF would appear much worse.

it could very well be a simple fix but they wont do anything if everyone pretends its a non issue.

Yup. That's why both izunadono and I are so loud about crushed blacks in XB1 games. Seriously. Find any thread about it. We often have the largest post counts. ;)

orochi91

I would actually make a money bet that if you grabbed 100 random people of the street and showed them those images on the first page they would notice the blurry assed floor textures and walls over any resolution difference. I would still rather have native 1080p and AF tho thats why ive made the conscious decision to go pc only for multiplatforms now. these consoles are too disappointing this time.

Nah, the PS4 is capable.

The onus is on the developer, and thankfully most of them do care enough to include AF with 1080p.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Nah, the PS4 is capable.

The onus is on the developer, and thankfully most of them do care enough to include AF with 1080p.

You are right. The big thing for me as well is that most games have a framerate advantage on the ps4 as well as a resolution increase over the xbox, so why not use AF. it boggles my mind

madmackem

Have the game running and I bet those couldn't see it unless you stayed still and pointed it out to them, where as the res difference jumps out like a sore thumb. Your acting like this is all games it isn't in fact more games have af implemented on ps4 than don't. And is there any surprise largely the games that don't have been multi platform and even multi gen.

-griffy-

Banned
Can someone post counter-example screenshots (of third-party PS4 games that do feature AF)?

Look at literally any other face-off except the games from the OP to see identical AF levels between platforms.

Here's the most recent face-offs:
BF:Hardline beta
ecHenIC.png

The Crew
1QqyAu2.png

Dragon Age: Inquisition
VEL8sQY.png

Far Cry 4
fZKNhRx.png

GTAV
KixqI21.png

AC Unity
3dlU3xl.png

COD Advanced Warfare
VTDPsd5.png

Brohan

I don't think people are pretending that it's a non issue, there is definitely an issue with AF on a small amount of games but that number is so small compared to the amount of games available (that have perfectly fine AF) that most people believe the problem lies with the developers of the afflicted games instead of assuming that the problem lies with the PS4 like you do.

Top Bottom