• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

farisr

Perhaps it's an issue with the tools/porting process.

Like from the getgo, if porting pc code to xbone, AF is fine, whereas the ps4 version may require some tinkering to get working. Most devs seem to do that necessary tinkering, but the more glaring examples are of devs that didn't bother?

Again, all just assumptions and guesses. Not claiming this is true. A dev of a game with the issue would need to comment on it.

Durante

I was referring to last gen PC hardware. On consoles it was a joke.
This gen hardware shouldn't have an issue at all.

Lack of AF for "me" is horrible and I ALWAYS notice that shit. So what I meant was, if I was playing a game on PC and I couldn't max it out, I would lower res to just to increase AF if I had to last gen (on pc).
Well, that makes sense. Lack of AF is terrible. I think I've had it at forced 16xAF in the driver since I picked up a Radeon 9700 in 2003.

Perhaps it's an issue with the tools/porting process.

Like from the getgo, if porting pc code to xbone, AF is fine, whereas the ps4 version may require some tinkering to get working. Most devs seem to do that necessary tinkering, but the more glaring examples are of devs that didn't bother?

Again, all just assumptions and guesses. Not claiming this is true. A dev of a game with the issue would need to comment on it.
That's what I always assumed, and still think is the most likely. But they really should have fixed a tool issue by now.

Really shocked at the amount of "lazy developer" comments in this thread. Game developers, especially in the AAA space, are incredibly hardworking people. Most, if not all, AAA games go through months of crunch if not more. And during these periods, many programmers just stay at the studio overnight to get more work done and go long stretches of time without spending a meaningful amount of time with their families. And we all know how strict most publishers are with deadlines and release dates. The people who made Assassin's Creed: Unity weren't incompetent and lazy. They just weren't given the time they needed to fully polish the game. Similarly, the AF situation on the PS4 probably isn't due to developers just not doing the required work. It probably has more to do with "we need to ship this game now so we have to prioritize certain things over others." This also explains why lots of games on PS4 do not have this issue.

Trend? It's like 7 games out of 100+....

Yes trend.

There are multiple titles that lack AF for some unknown reason while other platforms have it.

Some of you need to be able to discuss tech without taking a personal offense. Its a piece of plastic.

It is interesting though why its lacking in some titles as its not a performance issue whatsoever. Sn00zer said the AF implementation on PS4 is different than PC / Xbone however and could explain why some devs have not implemented it while learning the hardware.

It baffles me how many think this is some hardware limitation on the PS4.

It's quite obvious the PS4 SDK has some different AF implementation method that the XB1 and PC does not have. Some developers have trouble turning it on or more likely just don't notice.

Sony needs to communicate with developers either to inform them of this difference and maybe make changes to their SDK, so AF implementation is more in line with whatever the XB1 and PC has.

farisr

Well if the game has it implemented but not used in real time the only possible reason is performance...which doesn't make sense considering how cheap AF is. Weird.

The game has AF during gameplay, it's just of a higher quality during photomode (at least according to another poster).

Izuna

Banned
Sony will never respond to this.

Crushed blacks were in every game on x1, which is why Micorosft were to blame.

What I don't understand is why the blame is directed at Sony with no evidence whatsoever, 7 developers chose not to increase AF in their games on PS4, they should be the ones who are held accountable.

1. Why don't you just want AF to be addressed? Forget console wars, don't you want it in your games? I don't even have a PS4 and it pisses me off that it lacks it when it shouldn't.

2. MS is definitely more to blame for Crushed Blacks because devs shouldn't EVER be told to rectify anything. I think it is clear that it exists on OS level but also was on SDK level, which is why it can be patched out of games like KI (enough to not be a huge issue). They apparently fixed it and I believe they did, but any game in development from a while before may not have that benefit. So CoD AW is actually un-fucking-playable for me.

3. There should be NO blame directed at Sony for any reason. It is not their hardware, devs CAN turn it on -- they probably just don't encourage/force it the way MS does. They can if they are motivated to care about doing so.

OR we can as gamers make it clear we want AF and devs won't overlook it.

But saying lack of AF is fine because PS4 is more powerful anyway is just stupid.

Izuna

Banned
Well, that makes sense. Lack of AF is terrible. I think I've had it at forced 16xAF in the driver since I picked up a Radeon 9700 in 2003.

Oh my god. I have a 9700m in a laptop and it was the first time I learned about graphics settings. It was great because HL2 was heavily optimised for ATI cards then, so it ran better on my Laptop than my brother's computer with a 6600.

16x was too much for me to keep 1080p and whatever my native res was, but to this day I force it at 8x on the driver level even though I only rock integrated graphics.

My i5 gets this shit for free and I wouldn't dare to play a PC game without it.

Kayant

Yes trend.

There are multiple titles that lack AF for some unknown reason while other platforms have it.

Some of you need to he able to discuss tech without taking a personal offense. Its a piece of plastic.

It is interesting though why its lacking in some titles as its not a performance issue whatsoever. Sn00zer said the AF implementation on PS4 than PC / Xbone however and could explain why some devs have not implemented it while learning the hardware.

The opposite has also been true as in PS4 having better AF... So there really isn't any clear trend here.

Also it likely has something to do with performance to an extend given not many games have had 16x AF on either PS4 or XB1 or always have a good amount of AF.

Durante

The game has AF during gameplay, it's just of a higher quality during photomode (at least according to another poster).
That would still make the only possible reason to chose the lower AF level during gameplay performance.

However, I'm not 100% convinced that what is evident in those DC shots is really a higher AF level or simply higher texture quality due to overall supersampling.

Izuna

Banned
No one is saying this.

The user I quoted wants to dismiss this thread for that very reason. This thread should definitely be here just like the black crush threads that ended up with us getting that solved, to some extent, on a number of games.

That SO thread ended up making laps around the internet and it got patched quickly. This thread can and hopefully will help too.

CozMick

Banned
1. Why don't you just want AF to be addressed? Forget console wars, don't you want it in your games? I don't even have a PS4 and it pisses me off that it lacks it when it shouldn't.

2. MS is definitely more to blame for Crushed Blacks because devs shouldn't EVER be told to rectify anything. I think it is clear that it exists on OS level but also was on SDK level, which is why it can be patched out of games like KI (enough to not be a huge issue). They apparently fixed it and I believe they did, but any game in development from a while before may not have that benefit. So CoD AW is actually un-fucking-playable for me.

3. There should be NO blame directed at Sony for any reason. It is not their hardware, devs CAN turn it on -- they probably just don't encourage/force it the way MS does. They can if they are motivated to care about doing so.

OR we can as gamers make it clear we want AF and devs won't overlook it.

But saying lack of AF is fine because PS4 is more powerful anyway is just stupid.

I had to re-read your reply because I just don't see how it applies to me.

I directed the blame to the devs, If it was system wide Sony would be to blame, it isn't so they're not.

I would love a decent amount of AF to be implemented to every game, however the majority do have a nice amount.

And the reason I mentioned the crushed blacks on the xbox one is because it was part of the sdk and microsoft were to blame, nothing to do with console wars.

JP

haha, so what is the explanation for why many PS4 games seem to lack AF? if you want an explanation, well I just gave it to you in my last post. if you won't accept that explanation and are still wondering why some of your PS4 games don't have AF, well I don't know what else to tell you. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
You didn't give an explanation you erroneously asserted that AF is related to resolution when in fact it isn't. The entire point of this thread is that doesn't tie into the into the power of the consoles in the same way that frame rate or resolution does, you could probably pickup a 5 year old PC that would handle AF perfectly but it doesn't in anyway mean it could run the same game at 4k at 120fps.

That's why people are wondering about some games not including it, I'm pretty sure that if it was down to resolution then it wouldn't have taken over a year for people on here to have worked that out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my" PS4 games? No PS4 games are mine.

You can lead a horse to wherever the hell you want to lea d it to but if that horse doesn't know what it's talking about you're better off leaving it at home to save it from embarrassment.

Durante

Shouldn't both consoles really be doing 16xaf?
I thought before 360 and PS3 released that finally console games would have decent AF. We all know how that turned out.

It really seems like console developers, by and large, value AF much less than I (and, as this thread show, many others) do. I guess they'd rather free up some performance for chromatic aberration.

Izuna

Banned
I had to re-read your reply because I just don't see how it applies to me.

I directed the blame to the devs, If it was system wide Sony would be to blame, it isn't so they're not.

I would love a decent amount of AF to be implemented to every game, however the majority do have a nice amount.

And the reason I mentioned the crushed blacks on the xbox one is because it was part of the sdk and microsoft were to blame, nothing to do with console wars.

YOU deserve an apology.

I seemed to, as wth another poster, saw implication where there was none. Possibly from this thing where one poster says X (something insane) and Y, and when other poster say Y we assume they agree with X too.

Errr whatever. Anyway yeah.

i-Lo

I have pondered about this long and hard as well; it's time this was addressed. As the console with the more computationally powerful GPU, AF implementation, especially below par compared to Xbone is cause for query and subsequent remediation.

PS engineers have already stated that 16xAF can be implemented with the GPU. However, they do not mention the performance cost of doing so. It makes me wonder if the performance ceiling is being breached at 1080p on PS4 leading the devs (of specific games) to opt for cheaper AF solution as opposed to on Xbone where 900p affords them enough headroom to implement better AF solution before hitting the performance wall.

Also, It is irrelevant if some of you individually do not find the lack of AF distracting for a technical matter such as this ought to be discussed freely and bereft of overzealous criticism of the OP. If you are not bothered by it and have nothing constructive to add, perhaps it is best to not shit post here.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's really weird. My guess is that the XBO SDK makes it easier to just flip AF on (or maybe it's even on by default), while on the PS4 devs have to do a little more manual work to do it, because there's just no way the PS4 can't handle it. So if that's true, what we have here is a mix of lazy devs and sub-par dev tools. Sony should definitely get on that. Just saying "the PS4 has no problem doing it, must be a developer issue" doesn't really cut it when it's making your weaker competitor look better.

red731

Wat at that Striedr picture.

I knew it was bad and mainly nonexistant even in first party games but holy shit get your streamlining together!

CozMick

Banned
YOU deserve an apology.

I seemed to, as wth another poster, saw implication where there was none. Possibly from this thing where one poster says X (something insane) and Y, and when other poster say Y we assume they agree with X too.

Errr whatever. Anyway yeah.

No need to apologise, many see me as a "pony" I just assumed you did too :p

Tobor

We have 7 games with 7 developers. Why aren't they being asked this question? Don't wait for journalists, start tweeting and get their attentions.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Yes trend.

Some of you need to be able to discuss tech without taking a personal offense. Its a piece of plastic.

It is interesting though why its lacking in some titles as its not a performance issue whatsoever. Sn00zer said the AF implementation on PS4 is different than PC / Xbone however and could explain why some devs have not implemented it while learning the hardware.
Not taking it personally ☺ but it is not a issue I see with the console but an issue with developer's

Asmodai48

I thought before 360 and PS3 released that finally console games would have decent AF. We all know how that turned out.

It really seems like console developers, by and large, value AF much less than I (and, as this thread show, many others) do. I guess they'd rather free up some performance for chromatic aberration.

:O

It's really weird. AF is one of the most obvious improvements for a game's looks considering its performance cost. The first thing I do on every PC game is set the resolution to native and crank AF up to maximum.

barit

There isn't an issue or trend when only a handful of games lacking AF from what, 300? This is simply a dev choice and who knows why they choose not to implement it. Maybe they haven't enough time or the PS4 version is faster done and they don't bother with optimizing it. Could be 100 individual reasons.

And lol @ the first post.

magnumpy

You didn't give an explanation you erroneously asserted that AF is related to resolution when in fact it isn't. The entire point of this thread is that doesn't tie into the into the power of the consoles in the same way that frame rate or resolution does, you could probably pickup a 5 year old PC that would handle AF perfectly but it doesn't in anyway mean it could run the same game at 4k at 120fps.

That's why people are wondering about some games not including it, I'm pretty sure that if it was down to resolution then it wouldn't have taken over a year for people on here to have worked that out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my" PS4 games? No PS4 games are mine.

You can lead a horse to wherever the hell you want to lea d it to but if that horse doesn't know what it's talking about you're better off leaving it at home to save it from embarrassment.

like I said, in some corner-cases you may be able to gain an additional 3-5 FPS by lowering the level of AF. in some corner-cases where you're really taxing the hardware that would be necessary.

it's only incidentally related to resolution. it's related because rendering at a higher resolution requires more GPU power. rendering with a high level of AF also requires more power. only a little bit more, but that little bit could mean the difference between 27FPS and 30FPS. that's why you see some PS4 games using low levels of AF.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is a trend now. It is not a few random games.

Now please make a list of the all the games that don't have missing AF....

I'll be waiting.....

Ya, it is a few random games. It might be related to the engines, but is likely a dev decision. If you could show me that that all games don't have AF and the PS4 could not do it, you may have a thread.

JNT

Thinking about how true this has been so far makes me sick to my stomach.

It's really weird. My guess is that the XBO SDK makes it easier to just flip AF on (or maybe it's even on by default), while on the PS4 devs have to do a little more manual work to do it, because there's just no way the PS4 can't handle it. So if that's true, what we have here is a mix of lazy devs and sub-par dev tools. Sony should definitely get on that. Just saying "the PS4 has no problem doing it, must be a developer issue" doesn't really cut it when it's making your weaker competitor look better.

Previous gen consoles could have handled it as well, and the ones before that (to an extent). It just doesn't seem to be high up on the list of priorities. In this case though, I have no idea what the problem could be. the PS4 should be able to do it if the Xbox can, but I guess developers are more accustomed to the DX pipeline than GNM and GNMX.

gossi

What does this contribute to the thread?

Balance. I just want to point out this isn't some kind of industry scandal - you've got 3 games (out of hundreds) where a graphics option that 99.99% of gamers have no idea what it means is disabled by the developers.

In the case of Evolve, by the way, they pushed to 1080p on PS4 (from 900p on XB1). They may well have killed AF for that.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm on mobile, but I'm pretty damn sure Sniper Elite 3 actually had better AF on PS4 than on the Bone. It was in the DF faceoff.

Murdered
I5mkUla.png

I need to figure out where the AF is.

Orayn

Balance. I just want to point out this isn't some kind of industry scandal - you've got 3 games (out of hundreds) where a graphics option that 99.99% of gamers have no idea what it means is disabled by the developers.

In the case of Evolve, by the way, they pushed to 1080p on PS4 (from 900p on XB1). They may well have killed AF for that.

It's not balance, it's just shiposting. Some people are annoyed and perplexed by the lack of AF and you're not adding anything useful to the discussion by saying that they shouldn't care.

I agree that it's not a major scandal, but if you don't care at all you probably don't need to make a post in the thread.

Top Bottom