• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

Freeman

Banned
Unacceptable. It ruins IQ, it makes no sense to opt to not use it properly, someone needs to explain this.

Could this be a bug or something that some devs just don't notice or don't know how to go around it?

dr_rus

It requires more bandwidth. Xbone probably does this through eSRAM.

No it doesn't. Stop saying this because it's bullshit. All AF fetches are perfectly cached by texture caches these days. This is why it's nearly free even on a lowest end GPUs on PC.

As for why that is happening I would assume that it's a combination of API translation issues with bad QA on Sony's part.

Derpcrawler

This is really bizarre. AF is something that i have always used since i had my first gaming PC. It's unthinkable to turn it off. It's quite honestly inexcusable in this day and age.

Not to derail or make it seem like a problem, but what was your first PC? AF was huge hit to performance even on fairly modern GPUs, such as Geforce 7800GT (same GPU that PS3 has), I am sure even 8800GTX had tangible difference between AFx4/x8/x16.

Alebrije

Notodisushittoagen.jpg

As someone said, there are tons of games that uses it and few that not, its just a developer choice.

fritolay

I bought PS4 for MLB and the fact it was supposed to be easier to program for, more powerful for multiplat games. I like XB1 because of Live stability. I must be in different multiverse now. At least I can still play MLB

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
No it doesn't. Stop saying this because it's bullshit. All AF fetches are perfectly cached by texture caches these days. This is why it's nearly free even on a lowest end GPUs on PC.

As for why that is happening I would assume that it's a combination of API translation issues with bad QA on Sony's part.

Sony QA doesn't touch this kind of stuff. It's purely up to the developers. No one else cares, most people don't know what AF is or does.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not to derail or make it seem like a problem, but what was your first PC? AF was huge hit to performance even on fairly modern GPUs, such as Geforce 7800GT (same GPU that PS3 has), I am sure even 8800GTX had tangible difference between AFx4/x8/x16.

Lol what. The 8800Gt handled AF without breaking a sweat, at least from my experience.

dr_rus

Not really. The last PC GPU which did have a big performance hit with AF was from NV3x line (GeForce FX series). NV4x (6x00/7x00 series) handled AF quite nicely, G8x (8x00/9x00/2x0) and up had it nearly free.

Sony QA doesn't touch this kind of stuff. It's purely up to the developers. No one else cares, most people don't know what AF is or does.

Sure they does. Each title going on PS4 goes through SCE QA prior to going "gold". This is a regular console procedure which was put in place to make sure that the game at least works on the console - which is in platform holder's interest as you understand.

Notodisushittoagen.jpg

As someone said, there are tons of games that uses it and few that not, its just a developer choice.

The odd thing is that, the less powerful platform in xb1, has AF in games where the PS4 does not. THat is kinda.. odd.
How about some Battlefield 4 comparisons. You will see the opposite outcome.

Actually BF4 has the same level of AF on consoles, it is just the xb1 version is so low res that distant detail is blown out in a mess of pixels much more quickly.

The Order 1886 has incredible AF. Other devs are probably just lazy. Lazy is the middle name of this gen, after all.

Lazy!?

Well perhaps the question should be why AF is more difficult to implement on PS4 than XBO then? After all PS4 is supposedly the easier system to develop for.
Uh. What's AF? I have no idea what I'm supposed to look at in those pictures.

Honestly? It's obvious. This isn't 'Spot The Difference'.

Nabbis

7900GTX. The PS3 GPU was more along the lines of a 7600GT. Nevertheless, PS4 should by all means be able to do it.

I bet this is happening because it's the default setting in the hardware/SDK and no developer cares or bothers to change it because they don't even notice it.

HTupolev

No it doesn't. Stop saying this because it's bullshit. All AF fetches are perfectly cached by texture caches these days.
...Which are required to holder higher-quality textures if they're going to perform higher-quality AF.

We had this same discussion before, where you claimed that GPUs always read in the highest-quality textures anyway. AMD themselves disagree with this, see this presentation about GCN which says that mipmapping helps in avoiding cache thrashing (slide 69). That wouldn't be the case if GPUs didn't intelligently read in mip levels according to the needs of their filtering!

bsod

Banned
I don't understand why this is. AF is such an inexpensive feature that it blows my mind how it's not implemented.

VanWinkle

Developer choice? Why would a developer choose to have it on the XB1 version and not on the PS4 version?

And saying we want to know why there are quite a few AAA games that don't have AF on PS4 but do on XB1 is not denying that there aren't a lot that DO have it. It's just weird enough that there ought to be a reason for it.

PS3 GPU is carbon copy of 7800GT, up to operating frequency, minus 256-bit memory bus.

It has 20 pixel pipelines, 7 vertex shaders, 16 ROPs and a 400 MHz core clock, 500 MHz memory clock (1 GHz effective) using GDDR3 memory.
Based on G70 Chip in turn based on the NV47 but with only 8 ROPs activated and 128 Bit memory interface
500 MHz
Its quite worse than a 7800 GT actually, 1/2 ROPs and 1/2 the interface is quite a big deal.

Yiazmat

Uh. What's AF? I have no idea what I'm supposed to look at in those pictures.

Anisotropic.gif

Instro

Presumably there's some issue with implementing it on the PS4 that requires some extra work so some developers are not doing it.

Ricky_R

Does the Xbone has games with no AF? If not, then it's on Sony to find a way for devs that are having trouble with it, to implement it sucesfully.

Noobcraft

This really comes off like a concern trolling thread tbh.
How? Nobody is saying the PS4 can't do AF, it's just curious that the console with a more powerful GPU and more memory bandwidth tends to not have it, or use a worse implementation of it than its weaker counterpart, in a handful of high profile multiplatform games.

Not really. The last PC GPU which did have a big performance hit with AF was from NV3x line (GeForce FX series). NV4x (6x00/7x00 series) handled AF quite nicely, G8x (8x00/9x00/2x0) and up had it nearly free.

Yeah, and it already had only minor performance costs on ATi's R300 (Radeon 9x00) in 2002 (the filtering quality was a bit reduced though - even more so on the previous R200). I actually played all my PC games with 16x AF since then.

Still, it needs to be stressed that AF isn't free and will never be free, even if it may look like it on a PC where most games are apparently bottlenecked by other fators. As Durante already stated most console devs deliberately use low AF factors in order to save some performance for other stuff (and I also think that it is a bad choice).

ss_lemonade

I keep reading about squeezing out better performance when not using AF in consoles but is it really that big of an impact? Nearly every pc hardware I've owned has been able to use AF with little to no performance penalty. I've owned a couple of nvidia gpus like the gtx 275, 8800 gts (320mb one), a vanilla 6600, and a 4200ti, all with matching cpus that were nothing special and I don't remember AF being a performance hog with any of them

Hoje0308

Banned
Per DF, it doesn't sound like AF is quite as trivial as most of us believe. It's still speculation on their part, but interesting nonetheless.

Outside of these differences, the PS4 game matches up closely to the PC release, aside from featuring a lower level of anisotropic filtering (we reckon it's 8x against 16x on the PC) that mildly impacts distant texture sharpness. On the other hand, things appear a little more ropey on Xbox One, with Rebellion making a number of graphical sacrifices, perhaps in order to achieve native 1080p while targeting 60fps. These mainly come down to a reduction in texture filtering. Indirect shadowing is also limited to screen-space ambient occlusion, while the PS4 and PC appear to utilise a more advanced implementation known as obscurance fields. This effect takes into account the radius between objects across the entire scene to produce a steady fall off with the indirect shadowing between light and dark areas, whereas SSAO creates a simpler black halo around objects that doesn't take into account such properties. [Update: Rebellion says they're present on Xbox One and that's confirmed, but we're still seeing what looks like its omission in certain places as seen in the comparison zoomer above.]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sniper-elite-3-face-off

Sure they does. Each title going on PS4 goes through SCE QA prior to going "gold". This is a regular console procedure which was put in place to make sure that the game at least works on the console - which is in platform holder's interest as you understand.
Everything may go through Sony to be certified, but unless there is a requirement that games use at least nx filtering it doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with QA.

Izuna

Banned
People who ask why is it a big deal or say they can hardly tell the difference are blowing my mind.

Sorry that you're blind, but for a lot of us it's extremely noticeable and a huge eyesore.

I didn't know this was a thing before this thread (don't have a PS4).

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
glad someone made this thread to spread the awareness however awareness can only do so much, everyone if you want answers take this to social media like twitter and facebook and ask the devs straight up. If they cant give you an answer it means they just didnt incorporate it for some reason. Some articles posted here says ps4 can support up to x16, so then we know where the real problem lies.

Go to social media everyone

Top Bottom