• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has sold 10 million consoles

Topher

Gold Member
Definitely to those lucky 10 million that won the PS5 lottery.

Thanks on behalf of my fellow 9,999,999 PS5 gamers....

frank sinatra oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Congratulations Sony!

Have they detailed the software sales though? Across both digital and physical?That's what I'm most interested in..

Filldo

I don't have time for that crap, that is stupid how we still have to follow some moron on Twitter or some bot on Discord just to tell us the PS5 will be out of stock by the moment you even attempt to try and get one. Like I said when I can go to Walmart at 12 AM and pick up a PS5 then I would say. Wow, the PS5 is selling so much because I got one
I signed up for alerts through Sony and was invited to purchase through PlayStation direct. Was super easy, got an email with a private invite telling me when to log in. Took five minutes. Been telling all my friends cause before that it was disappointment after disappointment.

Greggy

Wait. This doesn’t “just” mean that Sony was the first to manufacture and ship 10 million consoles?
Then I’m confused because last month’s NPD numbers “just” mean that Xbox had more supply in June.
Right?

Greggy

Well you're the one that brought June's NPD into this. And I would appreciate it if you didn't insult me as I don't believe I ever disrespected you here.
I just said I respected your intelligence too much to believe that you didn’t understand my argument. Not sure why you choose to take it as insult.
i brought up people’s REACTION to the NPD numbers to compare it to the REACTION to PlayStation’s numbers. The double standard is shouting. It one case it’s a reflection of supply limitation and in the other it’s a reflection of one company’s utter dominance. The territory doesn’t matter at all to this honest comparison.
There, I broke it down to remove any ambiguity. Didn’t mean to offend.

Last edited:
I just said I respected your intelligence too much to believe that you didn’t understand my argument. Not sure why you choose to take it as insult.
i brought up people’s REACTION to the NPD numbers to compare it to the REACTION to PlayStation’s numbers. The double standard is shouting. It one case it’s a reflection of supply limitation and in the other it’s a reflection of one company’s utter dominance. The territory doesn’t matter at all to this honest comparison.

Why can't it be both?

Sony outselling the competition while having supply issues. I know there's an issue with supply because the PS5 is extremely difficult to get. But even with that issue they still managed to sell over 10 million consoles.

Territory matters to an extent, especially for Xbox. They'll still sell all their consoles becuase they'll focus their shipments on areas where they can compete whereas Sony would just dominate them in areas they're not strong in, regardless of supply limitations

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Id actually be interested to know how many people have played Astro. And how many completed it

Im hoping alot of people and it sets it up nicely to get a AAA sequel
Not sure how many have played it, but the average platinum rate (not completion rate) for Astro on PSN Profiles is absurdly high. Out of the 104,000 people registered on the site who have played it, 60% have the plat.

Greggy

Why can't it be both?

Sony outselling the competition while having supply issues. I know there's an issue with supply because the PS5 is extremely difficult to get. But even with that issue they still managed to sell over 10 million consoles.
Well.. that’s the problem with having it both ways. It’s disingenuous. And if I have to explain why, may be I apologised too soon earlier.
Intellectual honesty would require to keep the same energy everytime numbers are published. Unless you believe there are over 3 million Series consoles sitting on shelves worldwide.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Got PS5 in January based on launch order. For me it was harder to get pulse3d. Took me a month of active hunting with distill around February. Well worth it

Well.. that’s the problem with having it both ways. It’s disingenuous. And if I have to explain why, may be I apologised too soon earlier.
Intellectual honesty would require to keep the same energy everytime numbers are published. Unless you believe there are over 3 million Series consoles sitting on shelves worldwide.

That doesn't make any sense.

Why can't Sony sell 10 million consoles and still have shortages?

A shortage would be determined by the amount of demand in relation to supply. I this manner it's possible to supply 10 million consoles and have the demand vastly exceed that to create shortages.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I must of been extremely lucky. I got my ps5 2 months ago with barely looking. I got off of work and read Gamepost as I usually do and they have a ps5 tracker. Clicked it and it said playstation direct had them in stock. I paid and less than 2 days later FedEx delievered it. It's crazy after all this time on the market how hard they are to get.

Topher

Gold Member

That "double standard" works both ways. To some, Xbox winning June was the "turning point". To others, it was about availability during that month. So pick your poison.

And no one has ever said "I know you’re not that thick" in respect for someone's intelligence. Come on. That is pure sarcasm.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Got PS5 in January based on launch order. For me it was harder to get pulse3d. Took me a month of active hunting with distill around February. Well worth it
I lucked out again. I got a pair of these last month and waited 2 days. Amazon had them in stock.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Not that impressive overall. I would expect ~7 million consoles sold with healthy stock available had it not been for all the little cunt bitches who fuck themselves up the ass with their Mom's baseball bat of a fucking dildo daily...Err, I mean "scalpers".

Yoboman

Im sure if I look at the June NPD threads you'll be applying the exact same scepticism you are in here right?

You wouldn't be intellectually dishonest yourself, would you?

That "double standard" works both ways. To some, Xbox winning June was the "turning point". To others, it was about availability during that month. So pick your poison.

And no one has ever said "I know you’re not that thick" in respect for someone's intelligence. Come on.

The way it's been in the US is that demand has exceeded supply which creates shortages. As long as that situation continues whoever wins the month is dependent on the supply. I'm not saying that either system is sitting on shelves but it's the supply that is currently determining the sales.

As for it indicating some sort of turning point for Xbox where it will continually outsell the PS5 every single month. That's difficult to determine since there's still shortages with both systems and currently the sales depend on the supply.

My guess is that Xbox will win some months while PlayStation will win others. This will mostly depend on who can supply the most until the demand falls below supply. Once that happens we can study better what consumers really want and study trends relating to the demand instead of the supply.

Greggy

That doesn't make any sense.

Why can't Sony sell 10 million consoles and still have shortages?

A shortage would be determined by the amount of demand in relation to supply. I this manner it's possible to supply 10 million consoles and have the demand vastly exceed that to create shortages.
You’re refusing to include any parameter beyond Sony’s awesomeness into your assessment. It is your right. I never said Sony was not having shortages. I’m calling out the hypocrisy of not bringing up how the shortages affected the competition like it was done when the NPD numbers came out. I mean come on, you got that by now.

I’m happy that both manufacturers are selling well. I contributed to both sales tallies and I can’t wait for all the games. I’ll even get the director'scut version of Ghosts of Tsushima. There’s no shinier badge of unbias towards Sony.

Greggy

Im sure if I look at the June NPD threads you'll be applying the exact same scepticism you are in here right?

You wouldn't be intellectually dishonest yourself, would you?
If you look at those threads you won’t find any comments from me because I know both manufacturers are selling everything they make.

twilo99

Impressive for Sony, though when demand catches up to supply I still don't think it will ever reach Switch levels.

Switch sold 28.8 million last fiscal year and PS4 sold 20 in it's best year.

Switch was also sold out for years before demand was met, but less were made as Nintendo did not come close to anticipating it's success and supply chains were initially weak.

Why is the switch even in contention.. its a different form factor and target audience altogether

You’re refusing to include any parameter beyond Sony’s awesomeness into your assessment. It is your right. I never said Sony was not having shortages. I’m calling out the hypocrisy of not bringing up how the shortages affected the competition like it was done when the NPD numbers came out. I mean come on, you got that by now.

I’m happy that both manufacturers are selling well. I contributed to both sales tallies and I can’t wait for all the games. I’ll even get the director'scut version of Ghosts of Tsushima. There’s no shinier badge of unbias towards Sony.

Actually you're the one who is to focused on Sony. I know Microsoft won the last NPD and I stated before that both are going through shortages. The only evidence that I've seen of a system not having a shortage is the XSS.

Not sure what you want me to say. Demand is higher for both but I can't tell you what it actually is due to the shortages.

There's no need to get annoyed by this.

If you look at those threads you won’t find any comments from me because I know both manufacturers are selling everything they make.

So what's your issue with this news from Sony?

As I stated before it's all down to supply and Sony was able to supply more PS5s to the market than Microsoft has.

While I agree the demand for both is probably higher, history has typically favored Sony with higher demand. Even once supply gets fixed I still expect PlayStation to lead given how their consoles tend to have higher demand than Xbox.

Last edited:
But there was plenty of bragging comments from the NPD thread in the same way you are pointing out here. You don't have a problem with that, but you pointing it out here? That's a double standard.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Hold on a sec.

G Greggy is this what this is all about?

Just a complaint about what Sony fans said about the NPD results?

Just FYI I wasn't talking about fanboys complaining about things here. I was just reflecting on the data and the situation that we are in. Definitely not discussing people worshipping their brands at least that was never my intention.

Greggy

Actually you're the one who is to focused on Sony. I know Microsoft won the last NPD and I stated before that both are going through shortages. The only evidence that I've seen of a system not having a shortage is the XSS.

Not sure what you want me to say. Demand is higher for both but I can't tell you what it actually is due to the shortages.

There's no need to get annoyed by this.

So what's your issue with this news from Sony?

As I stated before it's all down to supply and Sony was able to supply more PS5s to the market than Microsoft has.

While I agree the demand for both is probably higher, history has typically favored Sony with higher demand. Even once supply gets fixed I still expect PlayStation to lead given how their consoles tend to have higher demand than Xbox.
And that is fair and balanced, unlike a very large portion of the reactions in this thread, as you probably can agree.

I have no issue with Sony stating what is surely a fact, just with the inconsistency of the reactions depending on which manufacturer is publishing numbers. But I should know what to expect on this forum by now. I only blame myself.

Greggy

But there was plenty of bragging comments from the NPD thread in the same way you are pointing out here. You don't have a problem with that, but you pointing it out here? That's a double standard.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN
I’m not in the NPD thread confronting people who denounce the overreaction to the numbers (I hope you don’t take that personally). I think that would have been a double standard given what I have said in this thread. So I respectfully disagree.

Top Bottom