• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has sold 10 million consoles

And that is fair and balanced, unlike a very large portion of the reactions in this thread, as you probably can agree.

I have no issue with Sony stating what is surely a fact, just with the inconsistency of the reactions depending on which manufacturer is publishing numbers. But I should know what to expect on this forum by now. I only blame myself.

I don't know it seems like you have issues with people congratulating Sony for their achievements.

Considering how high the demand is and the pandemic plus the chip shortages in extremely impressed with what they were able to achieve.

On a side note I'm pretty frustrated that even after they managed to sell so many i can't get my hands on one. Also why I'm living the effects of the shortage on s daily basis and there are so many games that I really want to play on it.

Greggy

I don't know it seems like you have issues with people congratulating Sony for their achievements.

Considering how high the demand is and the pandemic plus the chip shortages in extremely impressed with what they were able to achieve.

On a side note I'm pretty frustrated that even after they managed to sell so many i can't get my hands on one. Also why I'm living the effects of the shortage on s daily basis and there are so many games that I really want to play on it.
I wish you to find one soon. You deserve it more than most for your engagement:)

Technically we have two threads so Sony has sold 20million.
Dj Khaled Ox GIF

reinking

Gold Member
Wait. This doesn’t “just” mean that Sony was the first to manufacture and ship 10 million consoles?
Then I’m confused because last month’s NPD numbers “just” mean that Xbox had more supply in June.
Right?
I read your comments in this thread and I want to point something out. I agree with you that it comes down to manufacturing right now. Do you remember the run up to the console launch? So much FUD about Sony having manufacturing issues being spread by the Microsoft hit squad social media sites influencers and Xbox fanboys? Let's not come into a Sony positive thread and pretend the other side is better.

noise36

Good considering how big and ugly the console is and how expense it is to game on the system, but ultimately also not surprising given they are the dominant brand in their industry. Its a bit like Apple selling a lot of phones no matter what they release (looks/specs) or how much it costs, no one is shocked.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Good considering how big and ugly the console is and how expense it is to game on the system, but ultimately also not surprising given they are the dominant brand in their industry. Its a bit like Apple selling a lot of phones no matter what they release (looks/specs) or how much it costs, no one is shocked.
The console is definitely a monstrosity but I have to say they did an amazing job on that controller. It's so comfortable! I'm going to get some aftermarket black faceplates so it looks better in my setup.

I'm sure some people buy it just because its their favorite brand but Sony does have a track record of quality. They didn't gain their following by accident.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The console is definitely a monstrosity but I have to say they didn't an amazing job on that controller. It's so comfortable! I'm going to get some aftermarket black faceplates so it looks better in my setup.

I'm sure some people buy it just because its their favorite brand but Sony does have a track record of quality. They didn't gain their following by accident.
I think hearing people complain about the size of the console helped me like it more when I saw it in person. I was expecting it to be even bigger

yurinka

Nice to see PS5 breaking many gaming history records set by PS4. Once they solve the chips shortage issue it's going to be madness!

Impressive for Sony, though when demand catches up to supply I still don't think it will ever reach Switch levels.
Launch aligned PS5 has been outselling Switch since launch. And this is with a big chip shortages and consoles selling outs in minutes.

Switch sold 28.8 million last fiscal year and PS4 sold 20 in it's best year.
It has been Switch's peak sales year, which happened at the same time than the covid bump and when the other consoles were in their lower part of their life cycle (end or beggining) and at the same time supply constrained with the lack of chips, that didn't affect Switch (Nintendo sold way more consoles than the ones they estimated, while Sony had to decrease PS4 production and stock storage to make room for the PS5 units and wasn't able to rise their production due to lack of chips). A very rare case with many factors combined that I highly doubt we'll see again.

At the end of the lifetime of all 3 consoles, pretty likely PS4 and PS5 will outsell Switch because Sony home consoles have a longer life cycle than the Nintendo modern ones. For that same reason even if PS3 had a shitty start it ended somewhat close to Wii sales.

Last edited:
I read your comments in this thread and I want to point something out. I agree with you that it comes down to manufacturing right now. Do you remember the run up to the console launch? So much FUD about Sony having manufacturing issues being spread by the Microsoft hit squad social media sites influencers and Xbox fanboys? Let's not come into a Sony positive thread and pretend the other side is better.

Those yield issues?

I remember that was one of the rumors but it was quickly denied by Sony.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well.. that’s the problem with having it both ways. It’s disingenuous. And if I have to explain why, may be I apologised too soon earlier.
Intellectual honesty would require to keep the same energy everytime numbers are published. Unless you believe there are over 3 million Series consoles sitting on shelves worldwide.

PS5 will outsell Xbox Series regardless, there’s no point in fighting over that shit.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It has been Switch's peak sales year, which happened at the same time than the covid bump and when the other consoles were in their lower part of their life cycle (end or beggining) and at the same time supply constrained with the lack of chips, that didn't affect Switch (Nintendo sold way more consoles than the ones they estimated, while Sony had to decrease PS4 production and stock storage to make room for the PS5 units and wasn't able to rise their production due to lack of chips). A very rare case with many factors combined that I highly doubt we'll see again.

At the end of the lifetime of all 3 consoles, pretty likely PS4 and PS5 will outsell Switch because Sony home consoles have a longer life cycle than the Nintendo modern ones. For that same reason even if PS3 had a shitty start it ended somewhat close to Wii sales.
Pretty sure Switch will sell well over 20 million this year as well.

Switch is going to be around for a long time so the rest of your argument makes no sense. Nintendo says it's only halfway through it's life cycle and it hasn't even had a pricedrop.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

To who? Scalpers? Something weird about 10mil PS5 but only 1mil copies of R&C? (A system seller level game)

yurinka

• Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales : >6.5M (4.1M sold through as of Dec 31, 2020) in 8 months
  • MLB The Show 21 : >2M in 3 months
  • Returnal : >560K in 2 and a half months
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart : >1.1M in a month
Fixed and added etra info

To who? Scalpers? Something weird about 10mil PS5 but only 1mil copies of R&C? (A system seller level game)
Lol, do you really think scalpers bought over 10 million consoles? They must be so fucking rich! xD

Regarding Ratchet, over 11% of the PS5 owners bought it in the month and a week covered in this period, it's an amazing achievement. First month is only a small part of its sales, specially for a launch window game of a highly supply constrained console recently released.

How many games do you know that were released on the first half a year of a console and sold over a million copies on its first month?

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart pretty sure had the best launch month of the franchise and pretty likely will outsell its best selling game, Ratchet & Clank (2002) that sold 3.7M copies as of mid 2018. The 2nd best selling Ratchet we have is Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal" (2004) with 3.2M copies as of mid 2018. Ratchet never has been a console seller, this Rift Apart would be the first one if it ends being the case.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think hearing people complain about the size of the console helped me like it more when I saw it in person. I was expecting it to be even bigger
It's not as big as I was expecting either, but it's still quite large. I remember watching the teardown video Sony released and I couldn't tell if the console was that big or if the dude taking it apart was that small. I really do like how the controller feels.

yurinka

Astro's Playroom has an attach rate of 100%. 10 million copies sold. No other Sony exclusive will ever beat it.

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF
Well, bundled copies of Tetris for Game Boy and Super Mario Bros for NES keep counted as game solds on the lists of the best selling games ranking.

This means that following that logic, if they keep bundling Astro with the console in a few years Astro's Playroom will have sold more units than Super Mario Bros for NES. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I considered that but I highly doubt the studios behind those games wouldn't have final say or leverage to convince Sony. Also, Sony likely would have communicated cross gen status earlier but we're just speculating anyway. Personally, I lean more on the side that it was a decision made by the game studios behind the two games. Housemarque & Insomniac Games were able to release next gen only titles so why wouldn't Santa Monica and Guerrilla Games have the same choice?
Mark Cerny has been making gamedev studio tours to get feedback and suggestions for PS4, Vita and PS5 inside and outside Sony. Sony said that publicly, and I have a personal friend who runs a non-Sony studio that told me it was the case for PS4 and Vita (didn't ask him if it was the case for PS5, but they no longer work for Sony).

His studio made the probably most successful game for the PSP camera, his studio provided suggestions and feedback for the Vita camera and they ended in the final specs.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Why do people keep bringing this up? Those scalpers are not buying the consoles to sit on them. They are making their way into the hands of impatient gamers.
Exactly.

With scalper bragging about how much they're making....this should be obvious.

Never expect logic and rationale thought when it comes to hot takes.

What I love about this gen is that the trolls/haters can no longer say PS is selling well because its competitors messed up somehow.

I’d like to propose a toast. I said toast motherfuckers

tenor.gif
Oh yeah, it will be interesting in the next couple of years too.

This is why I said I hope Nintendo and MS get it together after the XBO and Wii U. Now its "Series S has Sony shook with that price, XSX eats monsters for breakfast, The Switch cant be stopped"

No excuses now.

Last edited:
You can't get from 10 million to 120 million in a day, right? :messenger_winking:
We gotta see if it happens first. A great wise man once said "You cannot guarantee the future off events from the past".

That said I expect a very strong gen from them 💪

Where are you based? The UK, US or Canada?

I used a retail stock tracker website that emailed me when stores in Canada get stock. Got my email at 2am one fateful morning while I was still up doing... well, that's not important. But I jumped on it and two weeks later I was a very happy PS5 owner enjoying 120Hz crucible gameplay in Destiny 2.

Proud, patriotic 'Murican here. I've heard of those kind of sites, there's some Youtube channels that do hours-long retailer tracking of drops too. Guess I can see if they have a phone alert option tho, been trying to not stay up as late these days :LOL:

Last edited:

MrA

Nice to see PS5 breaking many gaming history records set by PS4. Once they solve the chips shortage issue it's going to be madness!

Launch aligned PS5 has been outselling Switch since launch. And this is with a big chip shortages and consoles selling outs in minutes.

classic, 1st thesis switch only sold this well because of covid
next thesis ps5 is selling well despite covid
anyway ps5 is likely to fall behind the switch soon, needs 4 million by the end of October, sold ~2.2 million in the last 3 months so it might take the switch's first year but its a long shot

yurinka

Pretty sure Switch will sell well over 20 million this year as well.
Yes
Switch is going to be around for a long time so the rest of your argument makes no sense. Nintendo says it's only halfway through it's life cycle and it hasn't even had a pricedrop.
Switch had 4 years and something when they said it was on the half of its lifetime, so it will last around 9 years, same that GBA, DS or 3DS lasted.

PS1 and PS2 lasted 12 years, PS3 (their 'failure' console) lasted 11 years.

classic, 1st thesis switch only sold this well because of covid
next thesis ps5 is selling well despite covid
anyway ps5 is likely to fall behind the switch soon, needs 4 million by the end of October, sold ~2.2 million in the last 3 months so it might take the switch's first year but its a long shot
Most consoles, main public game publishers, ISPs, streaming subscriptions, websites and mostly everything else related to home entertainment (like sofas) experienced a very rare and unexpected huge sales and usage spike during covid, specially during the lockdown months. It's a fact that can be measured, covid caused a huge spike in home entertainment. It's also a fact that took even Nintendo by surprise because they estimated Switch was going to repeat this fiscal year the sales PS4 had in that fiscal year, as it did the previous ones (excluding the extra months).

There's an insane difference between the original Nintendo estimation and the final fiscal year sales. And since they weren't affected by the chips shortage they were able to scale up a lot their production to achieve this number. Sony instead only achieved their original estimation of barely outselling PS4 launch aligned for their first FY, and even if they knew there was an insane demand due to preorder crazyness and gaming history record numbers on social media, because they really were affected by the chips shortage, which didn't allow them to scale up PS5 production. Instead they had to cut PS4 production to be able to achieve their PS5 sales goal, which dropped way faster than its sales curve pattern would indicate, and did it in a quantity that matches more or less PS5 sales. Even if PS4 usage continues at a great pace (over 80M MAU even if it's like 8 years old).

The chips supply will decide the amount of PS5 sold in the next months and years. They could sell under 4 million or over 10 million, it will depend on the chip manufacturing and consoles production capabilities.

But regarding 1st year sales, Switch achieved 17.79M in a year and a month (end of that quarter sales). PS5 turns a year and a month (plus a couple of weeks) at the end of December (end of that quarter sales), so PS5 should sell over 7.5M in less than 6 months to match Switch. Which again, it will depend on the amount of chips they can get these months because seems to be enough demand to achive it.

Last edited:
So you don't even have one and yet you were all over this board complaining about the PS5 upgrade of Ghost of Tsushima, even making threads and polls about it with your fake outrage 🤣

EScnb-hWoAAJEEl.jpg

But I have one in my dreams tho...

...and I'm just super enthusiastic enough to care about business practices that'll affect me once I pick one up, better to talk about them now rather than later 🧠

GHG

EScnb-hWoAAJEEl.jpg

...and I'm just super enthusiastic enough to care about business practices that'll affect me once I pick one up, better to talk about them now rather than later 🧠

I dunno... Maybe it's just me but I don't see much point in purchasing things that you feel contribute towards poor business practices.

If you think a company isn't doing right by you then why reward them and positively reinforce that?

Jack Uzi

Banned
Exactly.

With scalper bragging about how much they're making....this should be obvious.

Never expect logic and rationale thought when it comes to hot takes.

Oh yeah, it will be interesting in the next couple of years too.

This is why I said I hope Nintendo and MS get it together after the XBO and Wii U. Now its "Series S has Sony shook with that price, XSX eats monsters for breakfast, The Switch cant be stopped"

No excuses now.

Heck yeah. All the narratives down the toilet. Full steam ahead now.

reinking

Gold Member
Those yield issues?

I remember that was one of the rumors but it was quickly denied by Sony.
It wasn't just the yield issues and even after Sony denied it there were some that ran with it. Remember the claims that the console was overheating? That was also a big talking point. I believe that one started because a console was running in a display case but there were some saying it was a widespread design flaw. The console would never be able to run at the clock speed Cerny said it would? It was going to be $600?

I'm not going to go back and search threads because it isn't that important now but there was definitely a narrative being put out there by some. My only point to G Greggy is it goes both ways.

Justin9mm

I would say the pandemic helped this number by the hype surrounding the short supply and psychology of some people wanting something that is hard to get for the sake of having it and to say they have one! Once something becomes hot demand all of a sudden people want one!

Last edited:

yurinka

The fact that we still don't have any Demon's Souls numbers makes me think I was right all along 🤭 Seriously though, I want to know!
Maybe they are saving them to announce them at the same time they announce the next game from the studio and the studio acquisition.

How many of them sitting in scalpers garages?
Very likely not even 0.1% of them were bought by scalpers.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if a good 100,000 are actually sitting in scalper basements though. There are loads on Japanese reseller sites here and Japan probably didn't get a great supply as it is.

Scalper prices are slowly but surely coming down, but not quite close enough to retail price that scalpers will give up. My worry is that this whole automated bot scalping thing is going to be the new normal from now on, regardless of how many units are produced, COVID or no COVID. Part of the problem is that the people who scalp them have little/zero risk. As long as they're unopened they can just return them within a certain time frame for a full refund.

Would be cool if retailers could implement policies like "this product is designated as a high-risk reseller item. We will not be accepting returns/refunds on these items except for device defects". They probably can't do it because of consumer protection laws but it's still annoying.
I agree.

It's up to the manufacturer and retailers to create a new system/process. In the ever evolving world where scalping has become the norm and so popular, it's really on them to figure out how to make it fair for all.

I don't know how but there needs to be some sort of say ticket/waiting list system from the pre order date in every country and not just everyone jump online and grab one as quick as you can.

People can always say oh just don't buy from scalpers but the fix needs to come from the source and if companies like Sony care about their consumers and fairness then they should be partly held responsible to do something to help prevent the situation.

Last edited:

umwhat

Banned
I don't have time for that crap, that is stupid how we still have to follow some moron on Twitter or some bot on Discord just to tell us the PS5 will be out of stock by the moment you even attempt to try and get one. Like I said when I can go to Walmart at 12 AM and pick up a PS5 then I would say. Wow, the PS5 is selling so much because I got one
lol what? "They're so hard to get!"

*does nothing to attempt to get one*

GhostOfTsu

Banned
EScnb-hWoAAJEEl.jpg

Yeah right. Funny how anytime there is something negative to spin about Sony, the most active users in all the threads are the greens. StreetofBeige did the same in the cross-gen threads and then started a poll to keep the fire burning for a few days. Usual MO for you guys.

By the time you get a PS5 the DC will be $20 anyway. What a scam for a GOAT 🙄

Last edited:
Well.. that’s the problem with having it both ways. It’s disingenuous. And if I have to explain why, may be I apologised too soon earlier.
Intellectual honesty would require to keep the same energy everytime numbers are published. Unless you believe there are over 3 million Series consoles sitting on shelves worldwide.
Why would I need such a crazy number of consoles sitting on shelves? I think your position would be more solid if we were only talking about serie X, that seems to be almost as supply constrained as PS5, but it's hard ti male the same argomenti for serie S, that Is readily available at least in all of Europe (and apparently now even in US), as much as to be already selling slightly under official price on Amazon in some of this Country
Exit: Sorry , without noticing, I made some multyquote

Last edited:
Top Bottom