• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

get2sammyb said:
I don't think that's fair though. Putting aside your 3DS comment, I think that only applies to Uncharted. It's amazing how people are ignoring stuff like Sound Shapes and Gravity. Even titles like Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet are clearly very, very well suited to the platform.

I think they have a very strong line-up actually.
The question is if these games will be exposed enough to make an impact. PSP had great, unique games from the start but most of them got overshadowed by the high profile releases that better approximate a console type of experience. Will Sony give these games the push they need to be a real differentiator for the system like Brain Training and Nintendogs were for the DS? That's the real question for me.

Defuser

Depends,if Vita suffer the GTA LCS fiasco then the edge will be on 3DS side imo.Majority will port beg for vita exclusives to be on ps3 and people will have the perception that they can wait for the 'supierior' version.

Suzzopher

Magicpaint said:
The question is if these games will be exposed enough to make an impact. PSP had great, unique games from the start but most of them got overshadowed by the high profile releases that better approximate a console type of experience. Will Sony give these games the push they need to be a real differentiator for the system like Brain Training and Nintendogs were for the DS? That's the real question for me.

Great point. I don't the Vita or 3DS has the titles to reach out like Brain Training. For some reason Nintendogs on 3DS has not gone down well at all.

I do think 3DS will be the victor, due to Nintendo's first party IP, but will be well below DS when all is said and done.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Gravijah said:
You say that like it's not going to happen.

It most likely will. And I will piss and moan and bitch at Sony for not releasing it for their home console instead. And eventually I will cave in and get a PSV to play the exclusive GoW game(s).

vanty

Surely the biggest difference between the two is that 3DS will have sequels to games that sold 10 million copies or more, which is something the PSV won't have. Plus you can't speculate about third-party support until both have been around for at least 12-18 months and publishers can look at sales numbers and decide which platform to primarily focus on.

DiscoJer

get2sammyb said:
I don't think that's fair though. Putting aside your 3DS comment, I think that only applies to Uncharted. It's amazing how people are ignoring stuff like Sound Shapes and Gravity. Even titles like Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet are clearly very, very well suited to the platform.

I think they have a very strong line-up actually.

I don't know what to make of Gravity Daze. But Sound Shapes gives me a LocoRoco/Patapon sort of vibe. And while those were popular with the press and game board types, they don't seem to have sold that well.

And LBP and MNR were on the PSP (Sony just gave them away). Do people really want the third iteration of the same game basically? Yes, sure, creators will, because of the touch screen, but the player probably won't.

Gravijah

Combichristoffersen said:
It most likely will. And I will piss and moan and bitch at Sony for not releasing it for their home console instead. And eventually I will cave in and get a PSV to play the exclusive GoW game(s).

God of Wario Vitaliogy.

Yes, I noticed the typo. No, I'm not fixing it.

BLagiver

Banned
Replicant said:
Er, isn't the other way around? From what I can gathered, while many PSV's title are spin-off of existing franchise, they are not ports of existing franchise. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Dragon's Crown, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Daze, Sound Shapes are all original titles. Whereas Metal Gear Solid 3DS, Street Fighter IV 3D, and Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D, BlazBlue 3D are basically 3D ports of existing games on consoles.

and the psvita would play all those games better and be far superior so those going around touting games like that on the 3ds shouldn't because when the vita is out all these games could be multiplat in the future and we know which has the better online and such of these 2 handhelds

i personally feel that developing on one screen without having to worry about 3d is a lot easier then developing for something like the 3ds.

jns

I bought a 3ds on release and still really dig it, I'm also happy about the announced software lineup. PSV looked very interesting and while I dont care about gfx on a handheld I thought some of the titles looked amazing so I'll be picking that up at launch too.

I guess the real winners will be multi console/hand-held owners like myself who get to play all the good games instead of comparing screen shots on gaf ;)

vanty said:
Surely the biggest difference between the two is that 3DS will have sequels to games that sold 10 million copies or more, which is something the PSV won't have. Plus you can't speculate about third-party support until both have been around for at least 12-18 months and publishers can look at sales numbers and decide which platform to primarily focus on.
A lot of those games rode a big wave of Nintendo's success

Its all reciprocal as we learned with PSP. Just cause you have big franchises, doesn't mean they'll be instant big sellers if the fanbase isn't there.

Izayoi

Banned
jns said:
I guess the real winners will be multi console/hand-held owners like myself who get to play all the good games instead of comparing screen shots on gaf ;)
HOW DARE YOU PURCHASE MORE THAN A SINGLE DEVICE

The only difference really, is the price is more competitive this time around.

Sony will have the same problem as last gen if they can't get out of the 'console on a handheld' paradigm that Nintendo overcame.

Vita having twin-sticks will make it incredibly easy to port over many 360/PS3 games and I think this will be its biggest advantage - it plays console-quality games but they don't need to be built from the ground-up for it.

Also, Vita + Modern Warfare + Wifi/PSN = Killer app, it's a no brainer really.

Piracy and game prices could still kill this thing though after the first 12 months or so.

EDIT: Nintendo only putting one analogue nub on the 3DS was incredibly short-sighted IMO.

Negator

Kuran said:
As a platform and not looking at the lineups of each, what are the advantages the 3DS has besides 3D?

3D screen

ummm.....hmm.

It's unfair to make this kind of comparison, because the main strength of Nintendo platforms has always been the software.

Kuran

Banned
dragonfart28 said:
The only difference really, is the price is more competitive this time around.

Sony will have the same problem as last gen if they can't get out of the 'console on a handheld' paradigm that Nintendo overcame.
But they are simply offering a better product for the same price.. I understand PSP had the same position besides the price point, but Sony has addressed a lot of the issues people had with PSP.

My 3DS feels cheap, has construction problems with the screens, the screens are different resolutions and hardware wise it isn't exactly a huge leap over PSP. The Eshop I tried yesterday was horrible to use and showed me Nintendo still doesn't get online.

Suzzopher said:
Great point. I don't the Vita or 3DS has the titles to reach out like Brain Training. For some reason Nintendogs on 3DS has not gone down well at all.

I do think 3DS will be the victor, due to Nintendo's first party IP, but will be well below DS when all is said and done.
Yeah, you have to give Nintendo the edge because a lot of their high profile releases translate well to portable gaming. But you raise an interesting point about Nintendogs; I am not sure why it didn't take off as well as most expected, maybe a chunk of the first game's audience have really moved on to smart phones, or maybe the price barrier of the 3DS was too much to overcome, but yes, it does add to the argument that the 3DS will likely fail to live up to its predecessor.

Raist

Banned
I think what made a big contribution to the DS's sales will not help the 3DS at all. Meaning this extremely broad audience they had. For most people who bought that system to play BT and the like, what looks mostly like a revision of the system with 3D as the only significant addition is probably of little to no appeal.

As for the PSV, I'm not expecting it to sell insane amounts. Probably more or less like the PSP, although it might appeal to smartphone geeks who don't usually buy handhelds.

M.D said:
Didn't GameCube also had Mario, Zelda and Metroid?

Where did I mention anything about Zelda and Metroid?

Mario Kart has exploded in recent years. MK Wii sold quadruple the amount Double Dash!! did. The Vita has no software with even a fraction of its power.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DiscoJer said:
And LBP and MNR were on the PSP (Sony just gave them away). Do people really want the third iteration of the same game basically? Yes, sure, creators will, because of the touch screen, but the player probably won't.

Was unattracted to LBP on PSP. I am ultra excited for it on Vita. It's not simply about touch in create mode. Seeing it (and rear-touch and gyro) applied to gameplay with pretty much the same graphical fidelity as the PS3 version, with tool parity too, in gameplay vids is what has me excited. Vita won't be able to compete with the PS3 version in terms of amount of processing you can chuck into a level, but in all other respects it is quite possibly a superior platform for the game.

Kuran said:
As a platform and not looking at the lineups of each, what are the advantages the 3DS has besides 3D?

I'd barely call the 3D an advantage, and I own one. For gaming, I prefer a resistive touch screen, but other than that, Vita has a clear hardware advantage. Oh, wait, StreetPass is kinda fun for about a month.

Anyway, I know this is silly to say, but it's all about the games. Vita might crush 3DS. Might not. There were points not too long ago that Wii and 360 were equal in price, and Wii was selling more. Now 360 is.

All I know is that games move platforms. I bought a 3DS on the promise of specific exclusives, not because it does 3D or has two screens or can take pictures of Mario on my coffee table with a Question Block card.

P90

I'm not taking sides. I have a 3DS. I will get a Vita down the road.

The first one to $179.
The one with the best and most JRPGs.

Fulfill those things, a winner is you.

I have a question for Japan-GAF

As far as the gaming public of Japan goes, whatever the equivelant of NeoGAF is in Japan - do they side more with Sony or Nintendo's handheld? Cause it seems like it may come down to winning the gamer (much like PS3 vs 360)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kuran said:
2 screens I guess?

Probably also the cost of the handheld by the time vita launches as well.

And factoring out line-up is like.... well it's a silly thing to do.

jns

Izayoi said:
HOW DARE YOU PURCHASE MORE THAN A SINGLE DEVICE
shit sorry, ninTARDO games are for kids and babiezzz, I'm hardcore so ill play hardcore games on the mother effen playstation VITA!!! Don't agree with me? You're an asshole and I'm happy to make 7000 posts to prove it!

jjasper

dragonfart28 said:

And subsequently went right back to it. 3DS is a "console on a handheld". Not that I think it matters as I personally think it is a bogus argument.

I am interested in both will probably wait for a price drop on the 3DS and will pick up a Vita at launch.

StuBurns

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Media Molecule is not developing LBP on Vita. Who else? The A-teams are Naughty Dog, Sucker punch, Insomniac, Team ICO, Media Molecule, Santa Monica, thatgamecompany... Guerrilla even. When I see even one of these teams on PSV I'll be convinced

The console being "much more important than PSV" is entirely the wrong attitude. If Sony has that attitude, how can they expect 3rd parties or fans to think differently?
Who is developing LBP? And who says they are the 'A' teams? That's entirely subjective, I think Sucker Punch and Insomniac are both wholly middling.

And I disagree the console being more important is the wrong attitude. The risk reward is massively higher.

Kuran

Banned
Negator said:
And even then, the two screens is overshadowed by the Vita's massive screen resolution in comparison.

Thats my main issue with 3DS... the low screen resolution makes it look so cheap.. the eShop is just horrible to look at with all the 'fuzzy' graphics. I would have preferred the 3DS to have a single, larger, 3D screen and dual analogs.. since actually looking at the bottom screen during gameplay only distracts with the 3D effect of the top screen anyway.

I know I've been critical about 3DS here, and seeing as the PSP is my favorite handheld.. I might seem biased. But I wanted the 3DS to be good and got it on launch date.. now I wish I didn't since by the time the Mario game comes out it would have seen a pricedrop anyway.

I just think Nintendo cuts too many corners, innovating in very specific areas whilst neglecting others. And at the same time they are still charging a lot of money for this device. You have to respect Sony for giving the Vita quality construction, a beautiful OLED screen, capable innards, and releasing it at a very competitive price which will not even give them any profits in the first three years. It's stupid, but respectable. And I find it easy to be excited about the prospect of dual analog, current-gen games on-the-go.

herod

Any reason to believe that Vita won't suffer the same mindshare leakage to the next gen of home consoles that the PSP clearly suffered from? DS was for obvious reasons already immune to this, just as 3DS is, because it was never about technological prowess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
StuBurns said:
Who is developing LBP?

Apparently Tarsier is, with a partner. They worked with MM on the console games; I think it's in safe hands looking at the E3 vids and previews.

It does raise the question what game and 'new world' MM is hiring for on 'a portable'.

Suzzopher

gofreak said:
Apparently Tarsier is, with a partner. They worked with MM on the console games; I think it's in safe hands looking at the E3 vids and previews.

It does raise the question what game and 'new world' MM is hiring for on 'a portable'.

Could be the RPG they have been wanting to make?

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Clamshell design. The best design.
I didn't think about that. Love the clamshell, hope Nintendo never deviates from it.

Negator said:
And even then, the two screens is overshadowed by the Vita's massive screen resolution in comparison.
That's kinda true. I am very much looking forward to that kind of resolution on such a small screen.

jns said:
shit sorry, ninTARDO games are for kids and babiezzz, I'm hardcore so ill play hardcore games on the mother effen playstation VITA!!! Don't agree with me? You're an asshole and I'm happy to make 7000 posts to prove it!
lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
herod said:
Any reason to believe that Vita won't suffer the same mindshare leakage to the next gen of home consoles that the PSP clearly suffered from? DS was for obvious reasons already immune to this, just as 3DS is, because it was never about technological prowess.

And vita isn't simply about great graphics.

This is something Yoshida talked about a lot better in interviews than I can, but as he put it, with PSP, they were content to simply have PS2 style graphics and games in a portable. They thought that was enough. They realised, though, that it wasn't, that after PS3 was released people's attention wandered. So with Vita they wanted to make sure it was featured in a way that differentiated it from any home system, and they've certainly done that, I think. Differentiating handheld by holding back graphics wouldn't be the right avenue to go down.

StuBurns said:
Who is developing LBP? And who says they are the 'A' teams? That's entirely subjective, I think Sucker Punch and Insomniac are both wholly middling.

And I disagree the console being more important is the wrong attitude. The risk reward is massively higher.
It's being made by Tarsier studios

Sony says they are because those are the teams that get the big budgets and marketing. I'd love for Sony to approach the guys I listed and say "we want you to put your next big idea on Vita as an exclusive, and we'll give you a budget to match it."

Sony has a big enough first party stable to have a focus on Vita for the next few years without neglecting PS3. Vita needs a library of its own franchises, not spin offs

StuBurns

Banned
gofreak said:

That actually has me a little worried, Rag Doll was trash. And yeah, I thought they were making a PSV game, I guess it's a different one.

Chuck Norris said:
It's being made by Tarsier studios

Sony says they are because those are the teams that get the big budgets and marketing. I'd love for Sony to approach the guys I listed and say "we want you to put your next big idea on Vita as an exclusive, and we'll give you a budget to match it."

Sony has a big enough first party stable to have a focus on Vita for the next few years without neglecting PS3. Vita needs a library of its own franchises, not spin offs
They have bigger budgets because it costs more to make PS3 games. Why would Sony want to throw PS3 budgets at a PSV game that's far less likely to make it back? It's pointless.

If PS4 is two to three years away, it already takes that long to make a decent console game. There is no time to move teams on to PSV.

ShinNL

Kuran said:
3D, Stylus (flipnote), dual screen gameplay (book mode), street pass.

Not much different than PSP vs DS when it comes to differences. I think it will mostly come down to software, which will be hard to tell who will come out on top.

I don't think console multi-platform games will sell well on PSV, it needs exclusives to make the device attractive. I'm also not sure if the backpad is a good feature, I think it will be a better device without it. Touchscreen is good though (but not the way they're implementing it in Uncharted). I hope the 3G is free.

Magicpaint said:
Yeah, you have to give Nintendo the edge because a lot of their high profile releases translate well to portable gaming. But you raise an interesting point about Nintendogs; I am not sure why it didn't take off as well as most expected, maybe a chunk of the first game's audience have really moved on to smart phones, or maybe the price barrier of the 3DS was too much to overcome, but yes, it does add to the argument that the 3DS will likely fail to live up to its predecessor.
I can tell you why I didn't buy it: hardly any differences between DS version, old animation tech, not enough things to do, cats are useless. Very sad, because I was very interested in this title.

Touchstone

Neo Member
What's your avatar from?

On topic: I agree that competition is good and it seems more of a toss-up with this generation of portables than ever.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
StuBurns said:
That actually has me a little worried, Rag Doll was trash. And yeah, I thought they were making a PSV game, I guess it's a different one.

Ragdoll was made by just a couple of guys originally, when they were at Lionhead... it was really a pre-MM game. Dunno about the PS3 port, I'm not sure it was something they really expanded on much though (MM, I mean).

Woo-Fu

Banned
With the current pricing structure I can't see how PSVITA can lose to 3DS.

I can see DS, DSi, 3DS combined being more than PSVITA, but not just the 3DS. I suspect publishers will want to make sure their games run on the DS for quite some time into the future.

herod

gofreak said:
And vita isn't simply about great graphics.

This is something Yoshida talked about a lot better in interviews than I can, but as he put it, with PSP, they were content to simply have PS2 style graphics and games in a portable. They thought that was enough. They realised, though, that it wasn't, that after PS3 was released people's attention wandered. So with Vita they wanted to make sure it was featured in a way that differentiated it from any home system, and they've certainly done that, I think. Differentiating handheld by holding back graphics wouldn't be the right avenue to go down.

I must have missed it. I'll go and have another look.

Suzzopher

Nintendo need to make consumers see that the 3DS, is not just another DS. Where I live, the 3DS games share the same shelves as DS software.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
All Sony needs as a Dragon Warrior Monsters to make me forget....nah, fuck it, nothing will make me forget Pokemon. But I don't think Pokemon on its own will be enough to convince me of a purchase.

Top Bottom