• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR has sold over 900,000 units to date

nampad

Sounds like great numbers to me, and it's nice to see the confirmation from Sony. Hope they don't give up on this one like they did with the Vita.

I am sure they want to sell us a PSVR successor so they cant drop it like the Vita. They saw the handheld market shrinking and dominated by Nintendo so theywanted to get out.
Many people are predicting VR to be the next big thing.

Well, that's my opinion though and I don't know what inept people like Yoshida will do.

Camaway2

nah, i live in germany and i dont think there was ever a time were you couldnt waltz into a store to buy one

I live in Berlin and in physical stores it was sold out absolutely everywhere over the holidays period and over the whole of January. I don't know whether it is in stock now at places like Saturn and MediaMarkt, but I would be amazed if they had continuous stock, at least in the center of town.

True. Price is a giant factor. Ms's plan of using occulus plus Scorpio is gonna be quite expensive.

By the end of this year, a complete ps4 pro + psvr bundle will be less than usd500.

Versus a what......I expect a Scorpio plus occulus bundle to cost at least usd800.

Console guys ain't spending 800bucks for VR. That's PC people level of crazy.

You're not gonna get a PSVR + Pro combo at 500 bucks this year, maybe with a normal PS4.

autoduelist

Impressive number, slightly less impressive when you realize there are 50 million consoles our there.
I just don't think people are ready/want VR right now.
Couple that with lack of adverrisement, the pro coming out around the same time and them not being in stock (though I do see it purchaseable on best buy website right now)

Idk, hope they didn't invest too much into this.

Well that's all that really matters then, I just don't understand why invest in something if you're happy with these type of numbers.

They are establishing a foothold in what they believe will be a massive industry one day, not to mention there are other industries they can potentially sell some if the technologies to, from the health industry to military applications.

They are aware the tech is still in its infancy and on the expensive side, so they smartly understand it likely won't sell like gangbusters, but that doesn't mean it's not a good investment.

Camaway2

You're not gonna get a PSVR + Pro combo at 500 bucks this year, maybe with a normal PS4.

Not even that. The best realistic price by Christmas for such a combo would be probably 550/600 bucks, unless Sony gets really aggressive and takes a big cut in their margins to fend off competition.

Top Bottom