• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR has sold over 900,000 units to date

Has there been anything announced since RE7? Where is this thing going...? Support seems completely dead

Farpoint, Ace Combat and GT:S + more titles seems dead to you?!?

Or did you just come to steer shit up, although you have read that the unit sold more than both oculus and vive combined?

Tain

Good numbers, and RE7 was a bigger success than Capcom had planned and is working toward more VR software.

Sounds pretty good to me.

vivftp

I think with hype and disappointment that has followed with gaming related stuff people now want to be the person who at the end says "see I told you". Yes this is a success but since its not doing ps4 numbers you will have the people who wish failure just so they can be right.

You know, I think you're absolutely right. Some people have been riding the "VR Failure" bandwagon for too long and are all in on seeing it through to the end, even in the face of direct statements from a top Sony exec stating it's doing very well.

I'm damn glad PSVR is doing well. I planned to get one at launch but I decided to hold off a bit until I redo my mancave later this year. I've had a chance to test out the unit at the EB Games demos last year and I'm absolutely sold on it. Very much looking forward to playing RE7 with it :)

These are pretty good numbers when you consider that Sony also released the Slim and Pro which are also taking holiday dollars.

I wish Sony hadn't scaled back their expectations, and supply wasn't an issue. It'd be interesting to see what the actual unrestrained numbers would have been.

I imagine it's incredibly frustrating for Devs who've backed the platform also, to have adoption held back.

Globally it's sold through a bit more than Vive and Oculus combined.

Vive is 2, slightly ahead of Oculus.

Thought I shared that before.
Any any rate, I meant to ::shrug::

Software attach is not strong, it's like barely 1.5.
I can't recall exactly offhand, but I think that horror game was the best seller, the until dawn spin off

So PSVR is selling Oculus and Rift combined worldwide. Good to know.

My guess is 500k Vive / 300k Rift.

I can't recall exactly offhand, but I think that horror game was the best seller, the until dawn spin off
Yeesh to that attach

Yeesh to that attach

I wonder how that breaks down. Does the attach rate count for copies of PS VR Worlds included in bundles? Does the attach rate count for games that have VR support, but do not require a PSVR (i.e. Resident Evil VII and Star Wars: Battlefront) or is it games that are PSVR only? Does it only count full sized games (digital or retail) or do smaller PSN games count (I'd imagine free-to-play games like Call of Duty VR, Gary the Gull, and Word War Toons wouldn't count)?

Currently, I have six PSVR only (retail) games (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Rigs: Mechanized Combat League, Driveclub VR, PlayStation VR Worlds, Eve: Valkyrie, and Batman: Arkham VR). As for PSVR compatible games, I have Star Wars: Battlefront. In terms of smaller VR games, I have Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Synth

I wonder how that breaks down. Does the attach rate count for copies of PS VR Worlds included in bundles? Does the attach rate count for games that have VR support, but do not require a PSVR (i.e. Resident Evil VII and Star Wars: Battlefront) or is it games that are PSVR only? Does it only count full sized games (digital or retail) or do smaller PSN games count (I'd imagine free-to-play games like Call of Duty VR, Gary the Gull, and Word War Toons wouldn't count)?

Currently, I have six PSVR only (retail) games (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Rigs: Mechanized Combat League, Driveclub VR, PlayStation VR Worlds, Eve: Valkyrie, and Batman: Arkham VR). As for PSVR compatible games, I have Star Wars: Battlefront. In terms of smaller VR games, I have Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

I would imagine that it would only count games that require a PSVR, which does kinda suck in Resident Evil's case, but I think is a good choice for the majority of games that have a small tacked-on VR experience. Counting those as VR platform purchases would make for essentially meaningless data. You would only be able to correlate usage of those games with a PSVR. You couldn't align sales of them in any meaningful way.

I would imagine that it would only count games that require a PSVR, which does kinda suck in Resident Evil's case, but I think is a good choice for the majority of games that have a small tacked-on VR experience. Counting those as VR platform purchases would make for essentially meaningless data. You would only be able to correlate usage of those games with a PSVR. You couldn't align sales of them in any meaningful way.

Maybe there should be some sort of VR threshold or something that determines the magnitude of the included support.

Bluecondor

The nice thing about the PSVR hitting 1,000,000 soon is that many of the independent developers creating VR content for the Vive and Oculus now have a viable target audience to make PSVR versions of whatever they create.

The PSVR could become a nice home for creative independent developers.

Yeesh to that attach

I'll bet digital purchases in PSVR is HUUUUUGGE. There has to be something weird with those calculations. I know, at least on this forum in the official thread, and on the PSVR Reddit, the attach rate is pretty large.

I have purchased like 15 or more PSVR Games myself. Most, are only available digitally.

Tagyhag

The nice thing about the PSVR hitting 1,000,000 soon is that many of the independent developers creating VR content for the Vive and Oculus now have a viable target audience to make PSVR versions of whatever they create.

The PSVR could become a nice home for creative independent developers.

I just hope that games aren't held back because of that. Developing for the PSVR makes sense though, making games isn't free.

nampad

Thanks for the info.
Can you clarify what games are included in the attach rate? I am shocked that it is so low.

rokkerkory

900k is mighty impressive. If they can continue to pump out games, this may be a real hit.

Makes me think there is merit in VR for consoles after all.

beef3483

Farpoint, Ace Combat and GT:S + more titles seems dead to you?!?

Or did you just come to steer shit up, although you have read that the unit sold more than both oculus and vive combined?

You could also add Obduction and Arizona Sunshine to that list as well. Plenty of good games on the horizon.

androvsky

It's tough to quantify. PlayStation Nation does awards voting every year, and for best psvr game of the year they listed VR exclusive games. What ended up winning, by a large margin, was Thumper. As a write-in.

Hours spent in VR probably wouldn't work well since it's often enjoyed in short but intense bursts. Maybe number of times fans asked them where the Tie Fighter remake was would work.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Synth

Maybe there should be some sort of VR threshold or something that determines the magnitude of the included support.

There's no metric that you can use really. If a game is playable without a PSVR, then at time of purchase there's no way to tell if it was sold to a PSVR owner. Let's pretend Star Wars Battlefront was fully playable in VR. Does the attach ratio become 5:1 off its sales alone?

It's tough to quantify. PlayStation Nation does awards voting every year, and for best psvr game of the year they listed VR exclusive games. What ended up winning, by a large margin, was Thumper. As a write-in.

Hours spent in VR probably wouldn't work well since it's often enjoyed in short but intense bursts. Maybe number of times fans asked them where the Tie Fighter remake was would work.

For something like "VR game of the year" I think that's relatively simple. If the experience is enough that someone would vote for it, then its eligible to win. There doesn't need to be any consideration as to if the game can be played without VR, only that the VR functionality is the reason it's picked for that category.

What I'm referring to is attach ratio, which attempts to draw a correlation of game units to hardware units, and that doesn't offer the same level of subjectivity that you can use for a game award.

Very respectable numbers. Wait till round 2 with more power, wireless, roomscale, decent motion control, more ergonomic headsets, and hopefully foveated rendering, and of course more games. That's when the shit will truly blow up. Eat raven, VR haters, this shit is here to stay.

I don't think I believe that attach rate.

It has to be ignoring a huge chunk of the library of compatible games.
Or is this from the retail side. I could believe that - I have only one physical VR game, but ~20 digital games.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nah, can't calculate it that way. So many games are PSVR compatible that using only PSVR required games to calc Tie Ratio is misleading.

I disagree, people buy Vr "compatable games" to play on their PS4. Consumers buy "VR Only" games for their PSVR. You can't guarantee usage or adoption rates of Comptable Games with actual PSVR, but you can with VR Only games.

When doing data analysis on market size for PSVR games, I'm not going to count sales of RE7... that would give me a false sense of forecasting when setting my games budgets.

ddikxela

I'll bet digital purchases in PSVR is HUUUUUGGE. There has to be something weird with those calculations. I know, at least on this forum in the official thread, and on the PSVR Reddit, the attach rate is pretty large.

I have purchased like 15 or more PSVR Games myself. Most, are only available digitally.

I believe my digital library for PSVR is around 7+.

Retail is at 1 game - I bought Rigs at launch before realizing its alot convenient in the VR world if I didnt need to take head unit off to change change games.

I didnt actually expect the units sold to be close to 1 million already, good effort!

O_Atoll

I did my part. Hopefully Sony supports it or I'm going to be pissed because it's a trend now. Vita, Move, PSVR. I would never buy another Sony peripheral if they stop supporting do soon.

Poster#1

Let's hope they don't abandon it like every other hardware that isn't a numbered Playstation.
Vita deserved better

I disagree, people buy Vr "compatable games" to play on their PS4. Consumers buy "VR Only" games for their PSVR. You can't guarantee usage or adoption rates of Comptable Games with actual PSVR, but you can with VR Only games.

When doing data analysis on market size for PSVR games, I'm not going to count sales of RE7... that would give me a false sense of forecasting when setting my games budgets.

Two different issues though.

If you're doing a PSVR required game, then sure, the tie ratio you'd want to look at is physical and digital VR games.

But the existence of PSVR compatible games means that market sizing the entirety of PSVR is a different question. And, like you mention, a bit of an impossible task.

In any case, just as it isn't good to assume all PSVR compatible games belong in the PSVR market sizing, it also isn't good to assume that no portion of them are.

I disagree.

I haven't played one second of Thumper, RE7, or DIRT Rally outside VR. In fact, I bought DR when it was on sale, right after the announcement VR was incoming. Waited until the VR DLC released to even boot it up.

I can see there's a problem mathematically determining VR attach rates, when it's a segment of purchases. But stating 1.5 is knowingly misleading.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I disagree.

I haven't played one second of Thumper, RE7, or DIRT Rally outside VR. In fact, I bought DR when it was on sale, right after the announcement VR was incoming. Waited until the VR DLC released to even boot it up.

I can see there's a problem mathematically determining VR attach rates, when it's a segment of purchases. But stating 1.5 is knowingly misleading.

Always comes down to what insights you need to build your business plan. The question, "should I build a game for PSVR?" Is very different than "should I make my game PSVR compatable?"

One has a platform size of (seemingly) 900k globally, and one 18million in th US alone. One has a build from scratch cost, and one has a port/API adoption cost.

There's nothing misleading about data used to build a plan if you can access it

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Still impossible to get anywhere in Japan. The latest restock happened on Saturday and it was gone super fast.

ChouGoku

You know, I think you're absolutely right. Some people have been riding the "VR Failure" bandwagon for too long and are all in on seeing it through to the end, even in the face of direct statements from a top Sony exec stating it's doing very well.

I'm damn glad PSVR is doing well. I planned to get one at launch but I decided to hold off a bit until I redo my mancave later this year. I've had a chance to test out the unit at the EB Games demos last year and I'm absolutely sold on it. Very much looking forward to playing RE7 with it :)
Yea see this next post sums it up. "Like I said since the beginning." People just want to be correct and deflate hype.
Hmmmm.....selling 900K units to date isn't impressive at all especially when you consider that their original forecast was 2.6M by the end of 2016 and was then lowered to 750K by the end of 2016. Adjusted forecast of 2.6M in less than three months to 1M in six months says bomb to me.

PSVR is dead. Like I said since the beginning, all of VR is nothing more than an expensive gimmick. Add in the fact that it was rushed to market, oversaturated around the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro as well as the fact that it used a decade old technology for the controllers and yeah, it's dead.

What Sony should have done was eliminate the Move controllers, create something new for it, eliminate the processing unit, up the specs and save it for a side by side launch with PS5. Imagine PS5 having 4K, HDR and PSVR along side it as opposed to Sony rushing it all out when they clearly didn't need to. 55M PS4 units sold should have told them, why the hell are we doing this? Oh well.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Slightly off topic, but I'm not making a thread, why did nobody tell me how good playroom VR was? Those mini games are brilliant and the game was free as well!

Is this well know or did it just slip under my radar?

Anarion07

Where is that attach rate number from?

While an impressive figure, the closure of one of their VR studios as well as the complete silence on the 1st party software front I'm expecting it to be Vita'd. As in they will just stop talking about it and praying that 3rd party pick up the slack. Sony only ever puts 100% into their consoles, everything else (including phones) they drop like a rock the moment it stops selling. $350 is a lot of money to invest into a platform with no long term software.

While Cambridge's last game was a VR game in Rigs, the game they worked on before that was Killzone: Mercenary, and their job postings said that they were staffing up to work on a AAA IP (with some people expecting it to be a full console Killzone).

Omerta

Yeah, like many have said: I don't believe that 1.5 attach-rate...

Let's see a source and how those numbers were calculated please.

I can't imagine a world where someone is willing to drop such a significant amount of money on something like psvr and not buy more games to support it. It's not like many would have impulse bought it and I then come to the realization that there's nothing on the platform they want to play - people do research.

Yeah, like many have said: I don't believe that 1.5 attach-rate...

Let's see a source and how those numbers were calculated please.

I can't imagine a world where someone is willing to drop such a significant amount of money on something like psvr and not buy more games to support it. It's not like many would have impulse bought it and I then come to the realization that there's nothing on the platform they want to play - people do research.

Harker has (or at least used to have) access to NPD data, so I'd imagine that (and other reports out there like it) is where it is coming from. Which means we're probably talking mostly physical, and we're definitely not talking games with optional PSVR support (for example, he almost literally says he's not including RE7). If I had to guess, I'd say the 1.5 is the amount of physical retail PSVR only games being bought per person/unit sold.

Top Bottom