• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR has sold over 900,000 units to date

Omerta

In that case, I can absolutely believe the 1.5 number if it's only taking physical copies sold into the equation.

We don't know what the split between digital and physical is because we don't have the digital numbers but I'd be really surprised if it isn't heavily weighted in digital sale's Cavour.

In that case, I can absolutely believe the 1.5 number if it's only taking physical copies sold into the equation.

We don't know what the split between digital and physical is because we don't have the digital numbers but I'd be really surprised if it isn't heavily weighted in digital sale's Cavour.
It does make sense considering I only have Batman and VR worlds physically. I then own like 20+ games digitally that are either VR-only (Headmaster, Sports Bar, etc.), have VR mode (Dirt Rally, RE7, etc.) or have VR "content" (Battlefront X-Wing mission, Rise of the Tomb Raider mansion thing, etc.)

Omerta

It does make sense considering I only have Batman and VR worlds physically. I then own like 20+ games digitally that are either VR-only (Headmaster, Sports Bar, etc.), have VR mode (Dirt Rally, RE7, etc.) or have VR "content" (Battlefront X-Wing mission, Rise of the Tomb Raider mansion thing, etc.)

We're saying the same thing :)

I think that's a good number for a niche and expensive bit of technology.
Sony also put out a lot of hardware at the end of 2016 forcing some users to make a choice.

I chose PS4 Pro over PSVR, still hope to pick one up during xmas this year.

Still impossible to get anywhere in Japan. The latest restock happened on Saturday and it was gone super fast.

I remember a thread or article on Gaf that detailed Yakuza were buying up all the stock refreshments lol

Thorrgal

Sony is so screwed. That's it? 900k? Man I expected way more Sony can't be happy with that number. Probably going to abandon it and the pro later this year maybe next time spend that on timed exclusives.

Are you for real?? Abandon the Pro?? Man, Sony's succes must really bother you...you have for a looong period of disappointment ahead of you

Edit: He was joking apparently...I'm sure someone somewhere found it funny

OBias

Not bad at all, compared to other VR platforms. Hopefully the first-party software support will continue, the termination of Guerrilla Cambridge is worrisome.

Always comes down to what insights you need to build your business plan. The question, "should I build a game for PSVR?" Is very different than "should I make my game PSVR compatable?"

One has a platform size of (seemingly) 900k globally, and one 18million in th US alone. One has a build from scratch cost, and one has a port/API adoption cost.

There's nothing misleading about data used to build a plan if you can access it
You can use those numbers
of dubious origin
for whatever business plan you want. But it is misleading to state that is the attach rate for PSVR.

At least qualify such a statement with a notion of what it includes/excludes.

Slightly off topic, but I'm not making a thread, why did nobody tell me how good playroom VR was? Those mini games are brilliant and the game was free as well!

Is this well know or did it just slip under my radar?

This has always been known, even the devs were shocked by it and have been making free DLC for it (plus teasing a full game of robot rescue down the line)

Not bad at all, compared to other VR platforms. Hopefully the first-party software support will continue, the termination of Guerrilla Cambridge is worrisome.

Again, Guerrilla Cambridge wasn't a VR Studio...

This has always been known, even the devs were shocked by it and have been making free DLC for it (plus teasing a full game of robot rescue down the line)

So many are "informed" about the closure but seemingly nobody knows about the two VR studios they have

Wait I did not know they were teasing Robot Rescue full game thats great, also any DLC free or otherwise would be greatly appriciated, Also the orginal playroom on PS4 (none VR) is pretty great too. Hope to see lots more of the robots so cute/clever can see being mascots going forward. Also a fairly easy plat too :)

Joystick

Both SIE London Studios and Manchester Studio (formerly North West) have been on a hiring spree over the last few months for their upcoming VR games and still have a dozen open VR related jobs.

entremet

That's pretty impressive!

I've been thinking about one, but I have a:

A regular PS4
And I heard the PS4 VR controllers, which are repackaged Move controllers, are not as high tech as their contemporaries.

Thorrgal

No, I just don't see how they can go from 68k in December from US (their biggest market), and that being almost flat from November, to 900k worldwide in January and February.

Of course the Us is not the whole world, but psvr haven't lighting the charts on other countries either.

Yeah man, I'm sure they must be lying because you can't see how can it be true...

Can it be that you don't see how can it be true because you don't want it to be true?? Don't worry, you'll have VR in your precious Scorpio too

Synth

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-9829959-PlayStation-VR/dp/B00I9WWBCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1488194439&sr=1-1&keywords=psvr

Been out of stock in the UK since launch on Amazon and other shops have had a few units now and then.

Whilst it's been out of stock for a majority of the time on Amazon, they have been in stock over various periods. I bought mine from Amazon under two weeks ago for example, and it was available for a window of at least a few days when I did.

Synth

I have one and I really love it, too bad not enough AAA games on't jump on the VR train.

What disappoints me most is less the number of VR compatible titles, and more the scope of some of them. I was stupid excited when Ace Combat 7 was announced as a PSVR compatible title, only to later find that you wouldn't be able to just play the game through entirely in VR (ala RE7). Same with Gran Turismo Sport. I think the frequency of having these VR modes just be a smaller subset of the game is potentially damaging to the perception of the device over time, as its generally the larger name IPs (and so the ones most likely to draw the eyes of the casual buyer) that continue reinforcing the idea that the device isn't suited for fuller gaming experiences.

It's imo even worse when they're hitched to the full game, rather than being something standalone (like Batman). I don't want to rebuy RoTR on PS4 just to try the mansion stuff in VR. Same for Star Wars Battlefront, or Final Fantasy XV, etc.

Angel_DvA

What disappoints me most is less the number of VR compatible titles, and more the scope of some of them. I was stupid excited when Ace Combat 7 was announced as a PSVR compatible title, only to later find that you wouldn't be able to just play the game through entirely in VR (ala RE7). Same with Gran Turismo Sport. I think the frequency of having these VR modes just be a smaller subset of the game is potentially damaging to the perception of the device over time, as its generally the larger name IPs (and so the ones most likely to draw the eyes of the casual buyer) that continue reinforcing the idea that the device isn't suited for fuller gaming experiences.

It's imo even worse when they're hitched to the full game, rather than being something standalone (like Batman). I don't want to rebuy RoTR on PS4 just to try the mansion stuff in VR. Same for Star Wars Battlefront, or Final Fantasy XV, etc.

Can't disagree with you on that, my only disappointment so far with the tech.

Same, hopefully Dirt VR will lead the way in what they did. Even though it isn't the ideal solution it is infinitely better than side content. Thankfully there are games like Bound, Thumper, RE7 that put the extra effort in and it shows.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Actually quick question for those that have played the Battlefront VR mission, does it spoil anything from Rogue One. I am waiting for the Blu-ray release and am still on total blackout on it.

El-Suave

Actually quick question for those that have played the Battlefront VR mission, does it spoil anything from Rogue One. I am waiting for the Blu-ray release and am still on total blackout on it.

I'm in the same boat as you but played it. I don't think it spoils anything. It's basically just generic X-Wings, rebel and imperial ships to me. I think it's safe to jump in.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm in the same boat as you but played it. I don't think it spoils anything. It's basically just generic X-Wings, rebel and imperial ships to me. I think it's safe to jump in.

Do not worry and play the excellent VR mission. It does not spoil anything, there is a small reference to the movie and that's it.

Thanks.

Do not worry and play the excellent VR mission. It does not spoil anything, there is a small reference to the movie and that's it.

True. Price is a giant factor. Ms's plan of using occulus plus Scorpio is gonna be quite expensive.

By the end of this year, a complete ps4 pro + psvr bundle will be less than usd500.

Versus a what......I expect a Scorpio plus occulus bundle to cost at least usd800.

Console guys ain't spending 800bucks for VR. That's PC people level of crazy.

I have one and I really love it, too bad not enough AAA games on't jump on the VR train.

With the cost of AAA development nowadays. I can't say I blame these companies. The best we can probably hope for right now are titles designed fully playable in VR and non VR, like Resident Evil 7. That's probably going to be restricted mostly to FPS, racing, and space shooters. Personally I'm quite happy to have PSVR carried by indie and AA third party development.

In terms of upcoming AAA, Farpoint looks extremely promising, and I would expect Sony to have something in store for E3. Don't forget about stuff like Star Trek coming out. I think the selection of games available is more than fine for what is ultimately a niche product that's barely been out 4 months. Once Sony can get on top of supply and expand the install base, other developers will start looking more at development, and I expect alot of stuff from Vive/Oculus to come over( whatever the Ps4 is technically capable of doing justice to, obviously).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Link please!

Just kidding, there isn't one. Tales from your ass have no link.
VlgXG.gif

UCBooties

I need more games
that don't make me sick :-(

Right now I'm most excited for Ace Combat 7. I need to get EVE, but I'd like a more fully featured space game in the vein of Elite: Dangerous.

Maniac

Banned
True. Price is a giant factor. Ms's plan of using occulus plus Scorpio is gonna be quite expensive.

By the end of this year, a complete ps4 pro + psvr bundle will be less than usd500.

Versus a what......I expect a Scorpio plus occulus bundle to cost at least usd800.

That's not crazy - That's called "paying for a good experience instead of a mediocre one"

Thorrgal

Hmmmm.....selling 900K units to date isn't impressive at all especially when you consider that their original forecast was 2.6M by the end of 2016 and was then lowered to 750K by the end of 2016. Adjusted forecast of 2.6M in less than three months to 1M in six months says bomb to me.

PSVR is dead. Like I said since the beginning, all of VR is nothing more than an expensive gimmick. Add in the fact that it was rushed to market, oversaturated around the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro as well as the fact that it used a decade old technology for the controllers and yeah, it's dead.

What Sony should have done was eliminate the Move controllers, create something new for it, eliminate the processing unit, up the specs and save it for a side by side launch with PS5. Imagine PS5 having 4K, HDR and PSVR along side it as opposed to Sony rushing it all out when they clearly didn't need to. 55M PS4 units sold should have told them, why the hell are we doing this? Oh well.

Another joke post?

Sephzilla

That's honestly awesome for a $400 add on that has had stock problems.

I'm probably going to snag one of these for Ace Combat 7

After seeing the movie. I believe the missions you play are part of the movie.

You're essentially doing the space battle part for the characters in that section of the film.

Didn't seem spoilery at all. Just awesome.

I expect the Scorpio to support VR but have Microsoft stated they would be using Oculus? They seemed to go very quite once the Zenimax stuff started and now Zenimax has asked the courts to halt sales of the Rift it seems best for Microsoft to diversify their options (though Microsoft could potentially be the company that helps them out of the software issue).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
After playing the Until Dawn game at a friend's house, I fully believe a really well done Time Crisis or House of Dead could sell extremely well. I can also imagine a B17 bomber sim where you get to play all the roles (pilot, gunners, bombardier) in various missions.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Much like PS4 Pro, Sony can't keep it in stock.Hard to judge how high the demand actually is.

Personally I think PSVR is dead, but the Pro will end up being very successful (maybe because I only have the Pro).

How can it be dead when it JUST came out?

Lord Phol

Sounds like great numbers to me, and it's nice to see the confirmation from Sony. Hope they don't give up on this one like they did with the Vita.

Top Bottom