• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR has sold over 900,000 units to date

120v

If I were a developer, would I develop a game for a 900.000 userbase?

I mean, for an expensive accessory, it seems to have done okay? But I don't see it being really supported going forwards. Not to mention the fact that it appears to be forever sold out everywhere.

sony will be carrying the weight though. doesn't really need a flood of third party support, at least for what's still an inchoate and fairly niche platform

One of my best gaming buys.

Worth it for thumper/Rez/RE7. Considering its pricepoint, I think this is great. My attach rate is like 10-11 games. so far.

jmaine_ph

Exceeding Sony's expectations as well!

YurWeK6.jpg

Ricker

Not bad,not bad at all...I am starting to see some at Wal-mart's and Best Buy again,still waiting on this,it would cost close to 800 bucks(CAD)...a few more killer apps like RE7 and I might grab one.

Impressive number, slightly less impressive when you realize there are 50 million consoles our there.
I just don't think people are ready/want VR right now.
Couple that with lack of adverrisement, the pro coming out around the same time and them not being in stock (though I do see it purchaseable on best buy website right now)

Idk, hope they didn't invest too much into this.

Exceeding Sonys expectations as well!
Well that's all that really matters then, I just don't understand why invest in something if you're happy with these type of numbers.

madmackem

Impressive number, slightly less impressive when you realize there are 50 million consoles our there.
I just don't think people are ready/want VR right now.
Couple that with lack of adverrisement, the pro coming out around the same time and them not being in stock (though I do see it purchaseable on best buy website right now)

Idk, hope they didn't invest too much into this.
There's hundreds of millions of PCs out there and vive and oculus have sold less combined, I'd say it's very impressive for a pretty expensive add on.

There's hundreds of millions of PCs out there and vive and oculus have sold less combined, I'd say it's very impressive for a pretty expensive add on.
Sure but you need a machine that can run VR, How many people are going to invest that type of money though?

I have a PC, it can't run VR.

bman94

This has to be the best sold console add-on right? Can't imagine Sega CD, Sega 32X or Nintendo 64 DD doimg anything near these numbers.

people should read the article.

lol

Popularity of Sony's PlayStation VR Surprises Even the Company

Mr. House said the supply of PlayStation VR headsets will improve by April. By fall, Sony expects to begin selling them in Latin America.

The sales figure is a positive sign for virtual reality and probably establishes Sony as the leader in the premium side of the market — headsets connected to PCs and game consoles that provide more immersive experiences than are currently possible through inexpensive headsets that use smartphones for visuals.

Sony's primary competitors, Oculus from Facebook and HTC, have not disclosed sales of their premium headsets. One research firm, SuperData Research, estimates there were 243,000 Oculus Rift headsets and 420,000 HTC Vive headsets sold by the end of last year.

In contrast, during its first three months on the market in 2007, Apple sold nearly 1.4 million iPhones; a feat now considered among the most successful technology products of all time.

OP should have thrown these in his post.

Also Batman VR is AMMAAZING!

TyrantII

If I were a developer, would I develop a game for a 900.000 userbase?

I mean, for an expensive accessory, it seems to have done okay? But I don't see it being really supported going forwards. Not to mention the fact that it appears to be forever sold out everywhere.

Depends on the attach rate. Vita had one of the highest attach rates in gaming, which is why it kept getting games.

If 90% of PSVR users bought RE7, RE8 will most definitely be on the platform. I'm guessing they did.

There's potential will new IPs and large marketshares with early adopters thirsty for games, as long as dev costs are kept in check.

Mendrox

Dead hardware.

Sony knows it, which is why their projections are so minuscule. This thing is a Trojan to maybe one day turn VR mainstream. Don't act surprised when Sony pulls support for the thing because it failed to get traction.

Please. You don't even have one, do you? Stop talking shit. It's not dead at all.

Backlogger

Remember that much of MS's justification to push Kinect One was from how many units they sold on the 360... now granted it was a 3rd of the cost but still I think a lot of people bought them due to pure curiosity.

I work with a couple people that ran out and got PSVR and at first they said it was pretty cool but now they don't really talk about it. One complained the games were too expensive for what they were. Not saying there isn't something there but I wouldn't go off sales data only to measure success but also analytics is needed on how many people are playing them and still playing them compared to non VR titles. How long are the play sessions etc.

daxgame

He must be from the US. Im Europe you can easily find them in stock.

not familiar with US gamestop but isn't it in stock?
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr/129497

They've just started coming back in stock, it's been in and out of stock all over the place since launch.

Definitely not after december. I've checked several times for a few friends in the last weeks, and it's been available very often (Amazon only).

Azriell

Glad to hear this. I'm very happy with my PSVR, and I hope it has a long life with ample support before eventually being replaced with a significantly improved PSVR2.

Great numbers for PSVR rollout. Especially considering the attach rate this thing will inevitably have. They just need to press on developers a bit to include VR modes. I'm sure Capcom sold a decent volume of units because of the VR option.

nampad

Considering the price and the stocking issues, that's a fairly good number I would say. Hope the numbers will go up after they restocked it.

TyrantII

Remember that much of MS's justification to push Kinect One was from how many units they sold on the 360... now granted it was a 3rd of the cost but still I think a lot of people bought them due to pure curiosity.

That was their PR justification. Eyes and ears in the living room and all that juicy data was their justification. Just like every other smart hub.

Are there any big releases in the horizon? GT Sport (who knows when this comes out) and?

I'm super hyped for farpoint. I've played it at EBgames gameshow here and it's pretty fucking amazing shooting bugs the size of a bus right infront of you. The game also uses vertical space by having you walk through chasms. Amazing.

Based on...? I don't see how anything about PSVR is inevitable

if you're gonna be spending $400+ for a peripheral, you'll be able to afford games. I bought a lot of PSVR games.

Mendrox

I don't think whether he has one or not is relevant.

Yes it is. Most people that say "VR IS DEAD LOL" don't even have one themselves and so don't even know what content is releasing weekly. Many things don't even get announced and just appear on the store. Many developers announce things in /psvr and don't make big announcements.

I don't think that someone that says something like this informs himself about the current release situation and apps that release the next days. I am quiet sure about that.

Still a typical VR is failing drive by post without any good reasoning in it. Just someone saying that VR is failing again.

e.g. Littlstar hasn't even announced officially that their PSVR app will get SBS 360 video the next days. The dev communicates on the subreddit though and updates everyone regarding the update of the app.

Dunno how I forgot about AC7.

Hopefully Sony can get the price down a bit this year too. 399 is a fair price for the HC crowd but a lot to ask for those who are on the fence. I have no idea if the components are really suited for rapid price drops doe.

QuikNez

Disappointing sales numbers to me considering the world changing hype for VR more generally. Don't get me wrong, I think we get there, but feels like we're a good 3-5 years out when high power PCs and tracking is more mainstream friendly.

Despite the numbers, software sales must be pretty low, GDC survey showed much more interest in HTC Vive than PSVR.

HTC Vive has 3x the software (Roomscale games), so yes, HTC Vive would be number one. But everyone I know who has purchased a PSVR has bought a ton of games. I'm at 22 games right now.

Top Bottom