• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR has sold over 900,000 units to date

Disappointing sales numbers to me considering the world changing hype for VR more generally. Don't get me wrong, I think we get there, but feels like we're a good 3-5 years out when high power PCs and tracking is more mainstream friendly.

How can it be disappointing when they're selling as much as they're manufacturing?

sense

Not bad for a $400-500 add on with minimal marketing. Before release I was expecting around 2 million by this time but it was clear when Sony did not do any marketing that they were being cautious with their expectation.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Best-selling VR headset, but I'm still highly doubtful it's enough to:
- be indicative of a real, durable consumer trend for VR
- be enough for developers to make exclusive games for it

Marlenus

I like my PSVR. Only issue I have is that I have no time to use it. I want RE7 and Dirt Rally but no chance I will get to play them so I have held off for the time being. I am tempted to buy in just to help with the numbers so devs consider making more VR games.

I am also hoping that since Codies added a VR patch for Dirt Rally it means Dirt 4 and F1 2017 might also have VR.

Pretty good, I'd assume most buyers also got a pro for the iq boost.
RE VR was fantastic but I don't have much to look forward to except AC7 and GTS.

QuikNez

How can it be disappointing when they're selling as much as they're manufacturing?

Just my personal view based on some gut expectations that are pegged to hype level for VR in general... and to that end my comments were more general to VR overall than PSVR. I also wasn't trying to be incidiary.

Seems fine for what they offer and are trying to get out of it now. I do wonder if Sony will be interested in pushing it further next gen and trying to make it mainstream.

scitek

Impressive number, slightly less impressive when you realize there are 50 million consoles our there.
I just don't think people are ready/want VR right now.
Couple that with lack of adverrisement, the pro coming out around the same time and them not being in stock (though I do see it purchaseable on best buy website right now)

Idk, hope they didn't invest too much into this.

It's another $400 without any games.

Portugeezer

If I were a developer, would I develop a game for a 900.000 userbase?

I mean, for an expensive accessory, it seems to have done okay? But I don't see it being really supported going forwards. Not to mention the fact that it appears to be forever sold out everywhere.
That's why you get a lot of indie developers.

Soi-Fong

Soon there will be more than 1 million disappointed consumers!

Go to the Neogaf PSVR thread and tell that to them. Tell people who've tried RE7, Rigs and Rally VR on The PSVR that VR has disappointed them.

All you'll get is laughs directed at you for saying something stupid.

Trup1aya

If they are exceeding their own internal projections, then I'd say these are good-ish numbers.

But their conservative projections tells me they weren't anticipating VR would have it's big coming out party anytime soon.

VR is going to be a slow cooker if it ever hits big.

OmegaFax

It's almost a drop in the bucket compared to the overall PS4 install base. Sony really did push a good number of standard consoles + they launched the VR headset and the PS4 Pro. There's a lot of effort and momentum going forward from Sony and I'm pretty sure Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil w/ VR, Horizon, and a bunch of other games can't hurt either.

Nerazar

Pretty solid numbers, given the price and the peripheral thing. I guess Sony made some money out of it and will continue to do so by further development.

I'll jump in if it's the standard of the console itself and not a Wii Fit-Board like peripheral. And probably with a price-tag of $200 or less.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Good to have confirmation of my estimates at the start of this year that it was closing in on that first million.

Pretty good showing for a supply constrained and wildly expensive peripheral product. But what a product it is. Commercial VR that just runs off of a console I already own.

Almost a million sold through in 4 months for a $400 add-on, and people are in here saying "pretty good" and "let's see if it has a future" smh

Oops forgot this classic too
Are you surprised? Pretty much every VR thread. At first anybody guessing even close to a mil was getting laughed off the internet now it's disappointing or expected

FyreWulff

Sony's pretty happy with this number lol, not sure I understand. Everyone in the VR space anticipated a slow rollout.

Doesn't bode well for developer support. Third parties abandoned the Wii U over an userbase 5 times the size.

I'd expect more "toys" shipped with other games than full on experiences

edit: posting this with the context of PSVR as a game console peripheral and how peripherals need to sell to get support, not explicitly about it being a VR headset.

Doesn't bode well for developer support. Third parties abandoned the Wii U over an userbase 5 times the size.

I'd expect more "toys" shipped with other games than full on experiences

Only that adding additional VR features like in Resident Evil or Ace Combat doesn't need a a large userbase to justify it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, I was expecting around 500k

Great numbers considering the price, lack of content, and few ways to try it before buying.

Surprised it's that high considering the lack of availability. I imagine it could have been higher if they put the effort in.

Still want one

AniHawk

i hope that sony was looking at ps vr as a super long-term investment. they basically abandoned their handheld division to chase this market, and in the short-term that seems like a massive miscalculation. long-term though, if this is like the sega cd and other similar peripherals from that era, the next generation of vr should be pretty good. imagine that it's the main conceit of the ps5, where vr in the 9th gen is sort of like what disc-based systems were in the 5th gen (especially compared to the 4th gen versions).

marketing doesn't even seem like the problem here. sony's been pushing this since it was morpheus and that was three years ago. i think the problem is more about planning and overall strategy. sony seems to chase these ideas without considering the whole of their brand. ps vr and ps4 pro share a connection in that the latter brings out the best in the former, but they were released at the same time without much fanfare for either one. playstation now on paper looks like a good idea or maybe a solution for backwards compatability, but instead of becoming part of playstation plus in some way, it's just a service that's offered, that's now also expanding to the pc. these things all feel like different teams had ideas and someone at the top signed off on them without there being an overall plan for them to exist.

Krisprolls

Banned
Great numbers. And that's with being out of stock until recently. Now all we need is more big games on it.

VR now has a leader, devs must embrace this tech even more, especially Sony themselves in their 1st party games.

Top Bottom