• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR requires 2x3 metres of space to use. Polygon requires 2x3 beers to comprehend.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's not the area you need. it's the area the camera is able to track. you have to be inside this area for proper tracking.

Edit: Jep, just read the documentation. it's the space you should stay in, not the space you need.

Can't be quoted enough, lol.

im currently trying to use PSVR in my (cleared out) 10 x 6 m room and i can't get the motion traking to work
bDmVtnA.jpg

obviously im doing something wrong here in my ps4 settings or wathever it is, but I've definitely cleared out (more than) 60-square-feet of space.

halp

Is that Crecente sitting in that chair? Does this guy have a gaf account? He needs to see this thread. Quick someone tweet it at him.

DavidDesu

Oh wow, so it was the area the camera covers and not the area the PSVR requires? LOL

It's staggering people didn't realise this initially. The camera tracks the lights on the PSVR and controllers, so I have NO clue why people thought there would be any requirement to have a ton of space available behind or around you. Just be a few feet (metre or so) away from the camera and it can track you, end of discussion. To me this is either wilful ignorance form Polygon, trying to stir up some controversy, or they're just fucking retarded.

Theonik

It's staggering people didn't realise this initially. The camera tracks the lights on the PSVR and controllers, so I have NO clue why people thought there would be any requirement to have a ton of space available behind or around you. Just be a few feet (metre or so) away from the camera and it can track you, end of discussion. To me this is either wilful ignorance form Polygon, trying to stir up some controversy, or they're just fucking retarded.
It's a combination of all of these. It's Polygon.

Apathy

They have still not corrected the article?

Why would they?, it's polygon. I'm still amazed they aren't a banned site at this point with the shit they've spewed in the past. Hell the Mario kart graphs alone should have discredited them.

Fredrik

Chû Totoro;211885902 said:
This is where VR fails... space needed for best experience.

I have 2x3 meters but I need to move a few things to play... so it'll never happen. Like for Kinect :/
Same thing for me. But most importantly, the cables need to go before I'm jumping in on console/computer VR. I've tried Galaxy VR though and it worked perfectly, and it's cheaper too, so I could see myself investing in that if some cool games comes out.

cakefoo

Trying to cover all VR scenarios with a single diagram was unwise. Now the FUD begins.

Seated DS4 games require no more space than any other game.
London Heist van shootout might require you to sit back 2m to stay in the fov when you extend your arm to the sides.
Job Simulator might require the full space in the diagram.

edit: Also, if you mount the camera higher behind your TV, (assuming calibration will allow it), that would expand the camera fov and allow you to shift your play area forward.

I got my room sorted guys...

Oh so the Play Area is not what it NEEDS, but the "recommended" area to play in.

Yes, at its core the statement is basically stating the *Play Area*, which is what the camera can receive/detect as required information for an optimal VR experience... you have 61.35 ft² for your enjoyment wherever you choose to sit/stand within FOV of the camera.

It's also a safety thing that Sony have to cover their asses with... an area they "recommend" you clear of nearby obstacles if you're playing a game where you're doing a lot of active movement while standing in, things you could hurt yourself on etc. Company Health & Safety policy 101. This is more a common sense thing though, if you're gonna be using the headset standing you'd clear a little space around you, sitting shouldn't be an issue.

There's confusion over this thanks to the article, but when you have demo kiosks and demos at gaming expos that are far smaller in size in use than the area stated and made out to be required, the article doesn't make any sense at all.

Top Bottom