• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

so it seems the PSVR has a decent performance on regular ps4? I was afraid it would only run well on ps4 pro, that is why I cancelled my preorder

yyr

Pretty much what I expected: many "wait and see" recommendations, along with early adopter warnings.

PSVR, as good of an experience as it seems to be, is still fighting the fact that it's a console add-on that costs over $150 (by a lot). None of those have ever truly been successful. Sega CD came the closest, but despite selling over 2 million units, it is not considered to be a success.

Sony's decision to release it back-to-back with PS4 Pro has also raised questions, even within these reviews. There's a chance that could also negatively impact PSVR's sales.

I guess we'll see...

BumRush

VR doesn't yet have any killer apps. It all just seems like an interesting experiment so far, which is fine. But I personally won't spend money on it until there are compelling games that make the hardware investment feel worth the expense.

I agree, from what I've played. I feel confident waiting until it goes through a generation or two before diving in. With that said, I do strongly feel that VR / AR IS the future of entertainment...but maybe not for 10 years+

Gemeanie

Harmonic bets on another niche product and fails. A 3.5..
To be fair, it was initially announced as Gear VR app and it's not really a game, though I feel it was doomed the moment Thumper and Rez announced PSVR support.

Amplitude might have been a better choice if they could make it work in VR.

liquidtmd

Banned
Pretty much what I expected: many "wait and see" recommendations, along with early adopter warnings.

PSVR, as good of an experience as it seems to be, is still fighting the fact that it's a console add-on that costs over $150 (by a lot). None of those have ever truly been successful. Sega CD came the closest, but despite selling over 2 million units, it is not considered to be a success.

Sony's decision to release it back-to-back with PS4 Pro has also raised questions, even within these reviews. There's a chance that could also negatively impact PSVR's sales.

I guess we'll see...

Quite possibly. I know a fair few people with some money to burn but not infinite, so releasing back to back almost makes it seem like a 'whats more important to you, fidelity or VR' - when VR' as a medium could have done with all the chances it could get to get people to invest as a 'why not' purchase

zoukka

The giant bomb stream makes it look very cheap and unreliable :/

All motion tracking issues are magnified 1000x in VR.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the tracking is really working like in the GB stream, any review that doesn't mention it is slightly dishonest.

Cornbread78

The other VR alternatives already on the market.

On consoles?

Maybe I'm looking too simplistically here, but there are no retail VR headsets/software working right now on Nintendo/Xbox.

I always find trying to compare consoles with PCs (hardware/softward/access) a useless exorcise since they are two completely different animals.

JoeNut

i really can't decide, my SO asked if i wanted one for my birthday, and i said no.

I just can't see me spending a significant amount of time using it

I'm fascinated by the range of views from the main players in the online sphere.

I think this really is a technology that you need to try out for yourself and try some games out before you dive in with a purchase.

Looks like a favourable reception though so all good.

Abdiel

My experiences with the tracking each time I've used it were never like that in the gb stream. It was much more stable and consistent.

That's really weird to me.

My concern will always be with it beinf an add on. It never works out well enough. Devs go back to tried and true console gaming and dont want to waste time on peripherals.

Even Sony studios will not want to waste time supporting it. They didnt support the move all that well.

Ill jump on board when it launches with all PS5 or PS6 consoles

Sounds like a decent entry point for console exclusive guys, but the poor camera tracking and lack of a killer software app is a bummer.

For a £400+ though, I'm opting for the cheaper investment of a PS4 Pro because that's proven technology already.

Lets see some honest Gaf impressions and software support post launch from now.

"If you drop a key in Batman: Arkham VR and try to pick it up, your hand will simply disappear as you reach out of the frame and the key will reappear on the piano in front of you"

g2iggizylfq9jygd3ud9.gif

Source: http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-th...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

TheChaos0

Quite possibly. I know a fair few people with some money to burn but not infinite, so releasing back to back almost makes it seem like a 'whats more important to you, fidelity or VR' - when VR' as a medium could have done with all the chances it could get to get people to invest as a 'why not' purchase

I'm really close to cancelling my pre-order because of this. Really don't want to spend too much money in a short period of time. I still need to upgrade my PC at some point!

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
It seems like the headset is really solid, while the tracking solution (move+camera) is the "problem" of the current package.

I'm not watching GB stream, is the tracking that awful?

Mengetsu

I want this but, I feel like I can wait for the revision with a better screen and better tech overall backing it up. Really excited to see what games come in the next few years.

It probably is not working like that then and GB fucked something up.

If it's fucking up in the recommended camera range, in 2 different lighting conditions, in an office, Jeffs house, Brads house and across 2 headsets then there is a problem. Maybe a problem that can be fixed and works in other conditions, but it shouldn't exist in the first place. Vive and Oculus tracking just works and ease of use should be Playstation's strength.

It seems like the headset is really solid, while the tracking solution (move+camera) is the "problem" of the current package.

I'm not watching GB stream, is the tracking that awful?

The virtual dualshock was jittering around when Jeff was simply holding the dualshock in his hand totally still.

Not sure if it's mainly GB who have reported the tracking issues.

King_Moc

Banned
What's the tracking issue with? The headset, or move? Having a problem with the headsets tracking would be a disaster.

Tracking issues are mentioned also by Eurogamer and Kotaku.

I see tracking issues mentioned but nothing like I'm seeing in the stream. If the general experience is like the GB stream then most of these reviews are misleading.

It's hard to say until we see more streams.

King_Moc

Banned
Headset. giant bomb dude is standing in one place incredibly still and the game is swimming all over

There must be an issue with theirs, surely? That would be a pretty huge problem with VR. I played Battlezone on it last week and only noticed some tracking problems with the dual shock.

Soi-Fong

That Euro gamer review is something else. They go on about how Sony really made "good VR" affordable, comfortable and have actual good games all for a price that doesn't kill your wallet.

There must be an issue with theirs, surely? That would be a pretty huge problem with VR. I played Battlezone on it last week and only noticed some tracking problems with the dual shock.

If it's bad as Giant Bomb's for everyone, this would be as big of a shit storm as No Man's Sky.

We need more streams.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm in with my preorder. No system to play it on til next month though 😱

To pick out a point in one review - to me, gauging return on investment by time spent is a bit off base. Vr is like a roller coaster ride right now, I guess. If it can give me more thrilling 15 minute experiences, that's as valuable to me as a console delivering longer, but perhaps less 'wow' experiences, or ones that are typically exciting in different ways. Not every entertainment has to be long to be valuable. Although I do hope that, platform cost aside, content isn't too costly.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
OléGunner;219129416 said:
The virtual dualshock was jittering around when Jeff was simply holding the dualshock in his hand totally still.

Not sure if it's mainly GB who have reported the tracking issues.

Man, that's awful.

But, if the tracking was that awful surely we would have heard about it sooner.

Like, people have been trying this thing at trade shows and Best Buys for quite some time now.

And while I think that the demo environment is mostly controlled in this situations, the GB crew said that it never worked as intended even trying different setups at different places.

Top Bottom