• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

TheSixthAxis Review

Though there are some quite clear limits to what the PlayStation VR can do, it’s a fantastic bit of kit, and can feel remarkably close to what it’s much pricier rivals are able to do. There’s plenty of room for it to grow, as well, whether it’s in combining it with the increased power of the PlayStation 4 Pro down the line, or simply from developers of all sizes continuing to explore what gaming in VR can actually be.

All seems pretty solid so far a few dud games but most seem to be decent and a few really good. Looking forward to next week now, can't wait to get stuck into Battlezone's campaign.

jdmonmou

I sincerely hope that the mixed reviews don't scare people away. If VR is going to be mainstream in the near future it can't fail here. I do have a bad feeling that the prevailing sentiment will be that the PSVR / PS4 pro combination will be good but the PSVR / PS4 original combo will be lacking.

If true, then I think it was wrong for Sony to get people to pre-order on the assumption you would be happy with the PS VR on the base PS4 model. But even a better PS4 pro won't eliminate the tracking issues.

the guy can't sit more far from the camera...
is playing seated and 80% of the camera is useless background

I was noticing that. He's sitting as far away from the camera as humanly possible. I'm sure most people at home are gonna be sitting much closer to their cameras

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are other journos confirming the tracking issues, but whatever, it's a GB conspiracy. They don't know how to set up a mass market VR set. Which needs special set-up. Being mass market. Maybe you need a training for set-up.

Zyae

I sincerely hope that the mixed reviews don't scare people away. If VR is going to be mainstream in the near future it can't fail here. I do have a bad feeling that the prevailing sentiment will be that the PSVR / PS4 pro combination will be good but the PSVR / PS4 original combo will be lacking.

Maybe Sony should have released a better product if they were so concerned about this?

There are other journos confirming the tracking issues, but whatever, it's a GB conspiracy. They don't know how to set up a mass market VR set. Which needs special set-up. Being mass market. Maybe you need a training for set-up.

Wouldn't be a new product launch without these passive aggressive comments.

They said they had the same issues at home. 2 of them with different PSVRs.

It's just weird that some people are having horrible tracking issues while others aren't. It's making me wonder if there's some environmental variable going on.

But then again, this is first-gen hardware. It's not going to be perfect and people need to realize that before jumping in and expecting perfection

At the same time it doesn't seem to be as bad for others like what's going on in that stream. But the gaf clings to the most negative of course

Wouldn't be a new product launch without these passive aggressive comments.
It was to be expected with how every thread for this hardware has went, vr in general actually

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So good hardware, but no killer software. Still a proof of concept really.

PSVR2 might be when the games are there to justify it.

Why does it have to wait until PSVR2? What console have you ever bought that was justified by the launch games?

nikos

Let's surround ourselves with the same colored lights the PSVR is using to track movements.

GG, GIantbomb.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Why are you getting angry?

All of us are trying to parse the info that's surfacing. Yeah GB, Kotaku and others reported problems, but we have others that didn't seems to had the same experience.

You assuming that every person will have a subpar experience is the same as saying its a GB conspiracy.

And just to be clear, GB gave some wrong info in this live stream. Like the 30 seconds break every 10 minutes, thats bs. They're not the bastion of truth.

Carl

There are also ones saying they haven't had tracking issues like this

N30RYU

G1Rz8aY.jpg

"I DON'T FUCKING KNOW WHY I HAVE TRACKING ISSUES"
                                                                                GiantBomb Asshole

jmaine_ph

Reviews sound like exactly what I expected from the first gen PSVR! I'm so excited to get mines (hopefully next week if amazon doesn't screw me over)

Let's surround ourselves with the same colored lights the PSVR is using to track movements.

GG, GIantbomb.

The VR Set up is in a partition of the studio with a green screen. They also killed the studio lights at one point to see if it'd improve tracking, and it didn't.

Tagyhag

GG, GIantbomb.

They tried it with the lights off, you even have a gif of that in the same thread.

Guys, this isn't an issue people should be trying to play off.

You're talking about paying $400-500 for something that might happen to you as well.

YMMV, but that's not something that we should just be accepting lol.

King_Moc

Banned

GG, GIantbomb.

Is that what they're doing? I can't view the stream at work. Maybe it's like when you had lights behind the wii sensor bar.

Seriously, they have blue lights behind them?

Edit, no then

Krisprolls

Banned
G1Rz8aY.jpg

GiantBomb Asshole

These guys are such jaded idiots. People commenting on videogames for life who don't like videogames. Go figure.

The headset reviews look great overall. I'm in. Adding Batman to my day 1 games, everybody's praising it.

zoukka

These guys are such jaded idiots. People commenting on videogames for life who don't like videogames. Go figure.

The headset reviews look great overall. I'm in. Adding Batman to my day 1 games, everybody's praising it.

Or you are just hyper-positive, go figure.

Been watching kinda funnys video and the only thing Colin said was that some games need different amounts of space or positioning (sitting or standing) from him playing but otherwise they didn't have any issues and couldn't praise it enough for what it is.

JackEtc

Definitely been a VR optimist all this time, but feeling underwhelmed especially by the impressions of the GB staff. Was planning on going to a midnight launch next week, now not so sure.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why are you getting angry?

All of us are trying to parse the info that's surfacing. Yeah GB, Kotaku and others reported problems, but we have others that didn't seems to had the same experience.

You assuming that every person will have a subpar experience is the same as saying its a GB conspiracy.

And just to be clear, GB gave some wrong info in this live stream. Like the 30 seconds break every 10 minutes, thats bs. They're not the bastion of truth.

There are also ones saying they haven't had tracking issues like this

I'm not angry. This is not something to be downplayed. It might happen only to some, but if this is happening even to 20% of the owners, those 20% are fucked. Barfing station. I'm saying that as somebody who knows how bad the VR motion sickness can be.

But I will stop with this, control the damage all you want.

Zemm

G1Rz8aY.jpg

GiantBomb Asshole

People get really weird and personal when legit issues are brought up

Tagyhag

Lol, I wonder why people only call them jaded when they use Sony products.

Tell us how you really feel.

tomhan

Maybe Sony should have released a better product if they were so concerned about this?

I honestly think their hands are tied with the power of the current PS4. It's a tough decision for them to make, leave a bunch of money on the table by making it PS4 pro only or give a less than optimal experience to the huge install base of PS4 owners.

membran

The bit in the Kotaku review about constant "passive" tracking judder (headset + controllers) sounds really bad.

G1Rz8aY.jpg

GiantBomb Asshole

It's obvious Giant Bomb should just move into Best Buy.

mp1990

Banned

sony fans are something else

Top Bottom