• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

i really can't decide, my SO asked if i wanted one for my birthday, and i said no.

I just can't see me spending a significant amount of time using it

Yup birthday is week after release. Had preordered but cancelled it as I think its too much money to waste the now.

I bought Kinect at launch and was amazed by how much I used it
In the first week
, but feel that after the initial wow it may just fester to the side.

My partner said I should have kept it and sold it on for profit but I couldn't do that.

Will pick up when its a cheaper price (which is a long way off)

Wow this thing is weird. Based off what the giant bomb guys said at the start I was about to cancel my preorder. I was expecting 3/10 for most reviews then I read the main change and they seem mostly positive.

So glad it's getting reviewed well, what with it being first-gen technology and all.

Wow this thing is weird. Based off what the giant bomb guys said at the start I was about to cancel my preorder. I was expecting 3/10 for most reviews then I read the main change and they seem mostly positive.

I tried watching the giant bomb stream and it seemed like they were nitpicking way too hard. I had to turn it off.

Man, that's awful.

But, if the tracking was that awful surely we would have heard about it sooner.

Like, people have been trying this thing at trade shows and Best Buys for quite some time now.

And while I think that the demo environment is mostly controlled in this situations, the GB crew said that it never worked as intended even trying different setups at different places.

TRXQXDF.gif

I mean this kinda judder is unreal.
Hopefully a patch can fix it if it is widespread.

Except giant bomb saying it was flat out not playable more often than not.

I was skimming the ones in the OP

There's been enough hands on from both consumers and media including these reviews that I'm pretty sure something must be wrong with their setup or headset if they're saying it's literally unplayable

gmoran

I've read quite a few reviews by now but the RoadToVr is the one that actually seems to have the best handle on the hardware.

In particular they are picking up points that users report and that I have experienced relating to SDE, FOV, resolution etc., in short they seem to be reporting its technical attributes more accurately than anyone else out there, and also clearing up a few mysteries in the process, well worth a read:

http://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-review-psvr-console-vr-has-arrived/

I've only read the Kotaku review thus far and it makes me really hope they decide to invest in a better camera/motion controller setup in the future. That being said, it seems like a fantastic first attempt! Here's hoping that PSVR does well enough to warrant an even better successor in a few years.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The snippet from the gamesradar review pretty much nails why I canceled my preorder.

In the end, your purchasing decision should come down to whether you think you fit the bill of being an early adopter. Not everyone can justify spending hundreds on a peripheral, especially one that's still in the experimental phases of delivering state-of-the-art entertainment. But if you've got the money to spare, and want to share in the excitement of VR's infinite possibilities, then PlayStation VR feels like the most sensible choice.

I considered it as it's the only semi-reasonably priced (IMO) VR option, but at the end of the day I just no longer have any interest in being an early adopter of new technologies like I did when I was younger.

I guess I'm more rational and more conservative with my money (despite having far more now) and just see it as a folly (for me personally) to early adopt new tech as it means I'm paying the highest prices the tech will ever sell at, for the worst the tech will ever be and the least amount of content it will ever have. Also, for a new tech area like this--something that may or may not catch on in the mainstream and get full support.

Add in that I'm still on the fence about whether VR is for me as there's lots I don't like about wearing a helmet, being more shut off from the environment around me (my gaming sessions are often interrupted) and it's just a hard pass for me for the foreseeable future.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

"Only time I've noticed some tracking issues is in our studio, but wondered if it had something to do with lighting. No issue at home so far"

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/783651627102310400

OléGunner;219130619 said:
TRXQXDF.gif

I mean this kinda judder is unreal.
Hopefully a patch can fix it if it is widespread.

That's really bad.

At the moment we have a lot of mixed impressions. GB, Kotaku and Vice said that the tracking is really bad. While Videogamer and Jim Sterling have little problem with it.

It seems like one of those situations where YMMV, and that's kinda worrying if you have a change of buying the thing, setting it up and it simply not working at your home.

Maloney

Didn't see one so thought I'd put this together. Sorry, it's a bit shit.

VG 247

It’s a lot of money – you could buy a console and a bunch of good games for the same price"

I took VG247's advice and bought a second hand Xbox One and currently catching up on exclusives.

I'll wait it out on VR. I don't have much confidence in whether I will enjoy it. Hopefully someone I know will pick it up so I can try it.

We had months of gaffer impressions and previews as well.
All at official preview events where Sony can showcase under ideal conditions. I've used PSVR at a few events and (other than one Kitchen demo that was off-center), it feels great. But then again, so did Kinect.

jdmonmou

Quote from Kotaku review
If you buy a PSVR, you’re locking yourself in with Sony and hoping they continue to support the headset. Ironically, both the Move in your hand and the camera on your TV are reminders that Sony frequently does not support their hardware, and for all of Sony’s assurances about their commitment to VR, I’m skeptical that the PSVR will be any different. Unlike competing PC headsets, it will be much harder for the PSVR to find an extended life though hacks and independently created software. If Sony decides to stop supporting it, it will fast become one more hunk of plastic sitting in the closet.

I was burned by the PS Move so I'll take the wait and see approach on PS VR.

I bought a Vive earlier this year, so I hope PS VR is successful so that we see more developers support VR and we get more games for all headsets.

Man, the GB stream really got me worried. If the tracking is that bad I'm sure as hell gonna cancel my pre-order. Still have a week to read impressions and decide.

Sethista

there seems to be a few consensus points here, but its funny how vastly different some of the takeaways are.

The cheapest vs not cheap enough

Very good performance vs very bad in comparison with the other

Alot of good games vs games are not good enough

For me, I think its unrealistic to expect perfection. I played it, and the experience was good enough to justify how excited I am for when my pre ordered one arrives.

I know its not perfect, but al lthe offers for it more than justify the price point. Hopefully they will update the move and the camera next year, so tracking is better. in the meantime, I will be having a blast. and when it gets better, good for me. I can sell mine and trade up.

Really comes down to, do you want vr experiences now or wait until its optimal? if you want to wait, give it 2, 3 more years until a wireless, light high res hdm with lots of games come out.

Far too early and far too many problems for me to consider jumping in. Maybe the third gen if this actually lasts and isn't a gimmick.

The screen door effect, motion sickness issues, price, lack of software, resolution, fidelity, and so on.

tomhan

I sincerely hope that the mixed reviews don't scare people away. If VR is going to be mainstream in the near future it can't fail here. I do have a bad feeling that the prevailing sentiment will be that the PSVR / PS4 pro combination will be good but the PSVR / PS4 original combo will be lacking.

Alexlf

The tracking issues some people are having is really weird. I've used it a number of times, and the only time it was really an issue was when it was right on the edge of the tracking range. Otherwise it's pretty good.

What giant bomb is dealing with is really bizarre.

I was skimming the ones in the OP

There's been enough hands on from both consumers and media including these reviews that I'm pretty sure something must be wrong with their setup or headset if they're saying it's literally unplayable

It was 2 different units in 2 different homes and now in the studio.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I'm watching GB stream and man this stuff is rough, the tracking is kinda messed up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There's a difference between properly and creating ideal conditions to minimise the issues.
There is no way a Best Buy is the ideal conditions for the PSVR system, no matter how you try to slice it. It's a light based tracking system that decreases tracking ability in ambient light scenarios.

Justin

Just got to work turned on the GB stream and the first thing i hear is "this is fucked up" and Jeff looking unsteady. I check twitter and Austin is talking about it being super jittery and making him queasy. Coming from a Vive owner don't fuck this up Sony!

Especially troubling since Jeff said he never gets nauseous in VR. In fact they have spent several videos trying dumb things in VR to make him nauseous without success.

I sincerely hope that the mixed reviews don't scare people away. If VR is going to be mainstream in the near future it can't fail here. I do have a bad feeling that the prevailing sentiment will be that the PSVR / PS4 pro combination will be good but the PSVR / PS4 original combo will be lacking.
I do. All these "cancelled pre orders" surely I should be able to walk into GameStop next week so I get my girl one so she can stop giving me the stink eye

Steejee

Watching GB stream as well, and it seems to fall into the 'Good, but not good enough' basket. It seemed like PSVR was being banked on to push VR a little more into the mainstream, but this demonstration is making me think it's not going to do a all that much on that front. Hopefully Sony can at least clean up some of the issues GB is having with software updates.

Top Bottom