• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

orochi91

"Ok, let's pass the initial setup and then I can go anywhere."

pcjswc.gif
Jesus, lol

Jeff was too far away form the camera obviously. Brad had it right later when he was closer, it worked very well. This is a grounded opinion.

He was sitting, according to Dan, 7-8 feet away. That's within Sony's recommendations (9.8 feet max). That may very well be the issue, but they didn't set it up wrong. It obviously has a tighter range for "good tracking" than Sony is recommending.

Nikodemos

but supposedly they had some issues at their homes too so who knows.
Then again, a lot of people have a lot of shitty over-bright lighting in their homes as well, like those fuck-awful halogen floodlamps as spot illumination.

Remember that visual noise (bright lights, bright colours) considerably decrease the camera's tracking range.

ASIS

100 point review scale for hardware is pretty funny

If anything it makes more sense to review them on a 100 point scale because there is very little subjectivity involved. At least less than software.

EDIT: On topic, the thing is looking a lot better than I had anticipated.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm completing ignoring anyone that reports any kind of issues, they are doing it wrong and people who say they are experiencing those issues even at home are wrong, Kotaku is wrong, and all are lying because PSVR is a perfect device.

fixed for accuracy

Seventy70

Jeff was too far away form the camera obviously. Brad had it right later when he was closer, it worked very well. This is a grounded opinion. ;)

Obviously. It's not as if they are setting this up for the first time and getting used to it or anything. Or perhaps the thing just has issues. That would just make too much sense, you know? Unless you have your hands on one and know better!

Also, I just tuned in again to see them laughing their asses off. So jaded.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So pricey though...for some of us PSVR is the only realistic option. =\

True. For those that don't already have a PC I would say wait 5-10 years for the SNES era of VR to start. We are in C64 era right now.

That's not what most of the outlets are saying.

See, that's the other extreme in action.

The tracking looks vomit inducing. We will see how it goes when it is out in the wild, but I predict a lot of "Why is PSVR making me sick?" threads that come down to the camera not being up to snuff compared to Oculus and HTC/Valve.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Reading through the RoadToVR review they seem very positive about it.

What is criticized is the worse tracking quality than Rift or Vive and the bad camera alignment instructions.

After getting a properly aligned camera and calibrating the system, the positional tracking quality of PSVR does not consistently hit that sub-millimeter accuracy mark that we’ve become accustomed to with high-end desktop VR headsets like the Rift and the Vive. On the other hand, the rotational tracking latency is spot on and feels every bit as good as the Rift and Vive.

Loudninja

Wired
But while nothing about the PSVR can be said to be better than the headsets that Oculus and HTC turned out earlier this year—other than ergonomics—that’s not what matters. Not at all, in fact. What matters is that this thing works in your living room. What matters is that it’s comfortable, immersive, and intuitive. What matters is that it invites people to see what you’re doing, even participate in what you’re doing (which it does, via asymmetric games like VR Playroom—which is free, and might just turn out to be the Wii Games of the platform.) What matters is that, while it’s not cheap by any stretch, it’s at $400 a not-out-of-the-realm-of-possibility purchase for holiday presents, high school kids with jobs, and people who already have a PS4 and want to see what the fuss is about.

The PSVR does all those things, and does them well. So no, despite my own predictions back in January, we can’t know if this thing is going to be a Wii. But we do know what it’s not going to be—and that’s a Virtual Boy.
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-sony-playstation-vr/

oti

Banned
The headset itself to be fine barring the jittering issue that not everyone seems to have. Seems like something Sony could solve via software update or they just could sit closer to the camera.

The Move controllers also seem pretty ok right now.

No, Brad had problems too.

I honestly didn't see anything out of the ordinary when he was using it outside of the belt thing. Please note I missed the Jeff segment.

I wasn't planning on buying straight away, so I guess I'll wait to see how things pan out.

panda-zebra

Banned
OléGunner;219134321 said:
Maybe that's just it hopefully.
But the GB guys seemed to have taken the time and care to set up correctly.

Looking at the image of GB's setup with the greenscreen and the simulated version posted by the GAFer above, they don't seem to have taken the time and care to set up correctly.

The PSVR FAQ states "with the user in VR sitting about 5 feet in front of the PlayStation Camera / TV" - compare the images, I'd estimate the difference between the two images of Jeff to be -more- than the distance to the camera.

I think rather than take the time to set up correctly it looks more like they've gone for what worked for them before using Vive or whatever - a room-scale VR device. They also re-checked the manual and quoted the "9.8 feet" thing - that is in fact the very limit of the PSVR play area when sat 5 feet from the camera, not a limit of where you can plonk yourself and expect it to work well.

He was sitting, according to Dan, 7-8 feet away. That's within Sony's recommendations (9.8 feet max). That may very well be the issue, but they didn't set it up wrong. It obviously has a tighter range for "good tracking" than Sony is recommending.

"9.8ft max" is incorrect - 5 feet is ideal and 9.8ft is the absolute limit of the play area when you're sat 5ft away.

giant-bomb-psvr67o3u.png

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Sony space recommendation is confusing. They say the play space can 9.8ft, but the player must be at 5ft distance

The recommended play space measures approximately 9.8 feet by 6.2 feet total, with the user in VR sitting about 5 feet in front of the PlayStation Camera / TV.
29781589850_e5c3442953_z.jpg

Krisprolls

Banned
GB is incredibly jaded when they aren't justifying my purchases.

People get so personal about GB. It's like they have cult followers. I'm sorry I don't worship them as much.

There are dozens of positive reviews 8+ and 9+. Am I supposed to ignore them because GB said so ? Okay, I guess.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Not sure if serious.

What is a joke about what I said? In 5-10 years VR will have matured and found its killer apps. The prices of the headsets on PC will have come down to affordable levels and the quality will have jumped pretty high. Look at all of my past comments on VR.

I have consistently said that mainstream VR is ~10 years away. I think it will also be a google daydream like device as well (wireless).

These games... :/

Not sure what you expected. Not like because it was on the Playstation, the games wouldn't be any less experimental experiences and what not. Especially not this early.

Also not sure why people are getting so mad at Giant Bomb when they are just trying out hardware.

I haven't watched the Giant Bomb video -- I'm sure they're not talking through their arses. But they do seem to be a bit of an outlier.

All I can say is that I've used this thing for a week and I've been very impressed with it. It's definitely not perfect, but I've used worse first-generation products than this.

I linked it earlier, but I'll link it again. My full impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiTJSaViuPc

Also some unedited gameplay I've just uploaded...

Batman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJo9zzVuBU
Headmaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nroWc43r-ZY

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the difference between positional and rotational tracking?
Positional tracking is the position in absolute space. When you move your head or controller up or lean left, right or forward for example.

Rotational tracking is the position of the tracked device on its own axis. Turning your head to look left or turning the controller in your wrist like unlocking a lock.

flkraven

People get so personal about GB. It's like they have cult followers. I'm sorry I don't worship them as much.

There are dozens of positive reviews 8+ and 9+. Am I supposed to ignore them because GB said so ? Okay, I guess.

It's just amusing when all of the 8+ or 9+ reviews aren't ignored, but GB (one of the most well respect game critics according to GAF) criticizes it so they must be jaded or doing it wrong.

No but calling GB assholes because they don't agree with your pre-conceived opinion seems a tad overreacting.

I haven't watched the Giant Bomb video -- I'm sure they're not talking through their arses. But they do seem to be a bit of an outlier.

All I can say is that I've used this thing for a week and I've been very impressed with it. It's definitely not perfect, but I've used worse first-generation products than this.

I linked it earlier, but I'll link it again. My full impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiTJSaViuPc

Also some unedited gameplay I've just uploaded...

Batman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJo9zzVuBU
Headmaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nroWc43r-ZY

Thanks for the impressions. What's your favourite game so far? I probably won't jump on this until Resident Evil 7 is out but I'm curious what the standouts are for now

PBY

Banned
Looking at the image of GB's setup with the greenscreen and the simulated version posted by the GAFer above, they don't seem to have taken the time and care to set up correctly.

The PSVR FAQ states "with the user in VR sitting about 5 feet in front of the PlayStation Camera / TV" - compare the images, I'd estimate the difference between the two images of Jeff to be -more- than the distance to the camera.

I think rather than take the time to set up correctly it looks more like they've gone for what worked for them before using Vive or whatever - a room-scale VR device. They also re-checked the manual and quoted the "9.8 feet" thing - that is in fact the very limit of the PSVR play area when sat 5 feet from the camera, not a limit of where you can plonk yourself and expect it to work well.

They said they both had these issues at home. The stream looked AWFUL.

TheMan

Not sure what you expected. Not like because it was on the Playstation, the games wouldn't be any less experimental experiences and what not. Especially not this early.

Also not sure why people are getting so mad at Giant Bomb when they are just trying out hardware.

Yeah I guess you're right. Might hold off on that purchase indefinitely

Problem with reviewing tech like this, is there are so many variables with things like lighting, position of the camera and even how good the game is. So any problems some have had, are not always going to be the hardware's fault, plus if the hardware was really bad, all the reviewers would be having issues with it, no just a few of them.

Basically PSVR is not perfect but when setup correctly, it offers a pretty decent VR experience, especially for the price and most of the games seem decent so far, even if there is no true killer app right now, overall it seems mostly pretty positive though.

Briarios

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the difference between positional and rotational tracking?

I believe they are referring to the Move and headset. Rotational is when you look around in the world. Positional is where you are and your actions - like grabbing something with the Move.

Tagyhag

I mean, when they have video proof, you don't have to ignore it. They're not LYING about the jitter.

And it's kinda ironic they'd be the cultish ones considering they get death threats from Sony fans when they aren't 100% positive with their products. :p

Top Bottom