• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

Yep, me too. Very worried. I REALLY want this, but if the tracking is shit, I'd rather save up for a VIve.
But then someone like Sterling saying he likes it the most out of the sets he's tried(I assume all the major ones) and all the reviews being really good to average at their worst makes me really want to jump in.

Vlaphor

I've read several reviews and impressions that match up with what Giantbomb is experiencing, but I've also tried the demo at Best Buy and that worked fine. Still, I do remember that the Kinect could work great under certain circumstances.

I don't want mostly great, I want always great, especially with the money they're asking for.

Lol I like how it turned into a giant bomb thread. Reminds me of that uncharted 4 review thread where the ign girl gave an 8.8 for a review in progress and everyone focused on that on review for ages ignoring every other review

mcrommert

Banned
Some people brought up when they announced psvr that old move tech was not appropriate for vr...they were shouted down

Its not appropriate for vr and we are seeing the results

Tortfeasor

I just cancelled mine as well. The biggest issue I had from the reviews was that they say the sweet spot was 1.5-2 meters away from the camera. They stated that further than that they had significant tracking issues. I looked up the Sony FAQ and while it says the play area Should go back as far as 3 meters (9.8 ft), the player should be sitting 5 feet away. My set up puts my couch at about 9ft away from where the camera will be. Thinking back to the Best Buy demo I was sitting about 5 feet away. I asked her how far away I could sit and was told that as far as the cord stretched but that doesn't seem to be accurate.I guess for now anyways, PSVR just isn't right for my room.

madmackem

So... Good and cheap tech with no games.

I'm pretty sure DRIVECLUB VR will be the only full game with VR available at launch, others seems to be little mini games with side quests.

Kind of sad.... They could do wonders bringing Alien Isolation, Dirt Rally, Project Cars and many others at day one for Ps VR.

Sony missed one big opportunity here. But good to see a user friendly setup and comfortable VR with good weight distribution.
There's more than driveclub as full games at launch.

oti

Banned
So... Good and cheap tech with no games.

I'm pretty sure DRIVECLUB VR will be the only full game with VR available at launch, others seems to be little mini games with side quests.

Kind of sad.... They could do wonders bringing Alien Isolation, Dirt Rally, Project Cars and many others at day one for Ps VR.

Sony missed one big opportunity here. But good to see a user friendly setup and comfortable VR with good weight distribution.

RIGS could be pretty cool.

orochi91

OléGunner;219134321 said:
Maybe that's just it hopefully.
But the GB guys seemed to have taken the time and care to set up correctly.
Clearly not, considering the issues they're facing, which aren't present in majority of the reviews and impressions.

DavidDesu

In work so can't follow stuff properly, but is it possible maybe in the GB studio they have powerful wifi or something maybe interfering with the connection to the bluetooth Move/DS4 controllers? Seen so many hands on with PSVR and 99% of the time the tracking has looked fine. Also saw an image from their PS4 camera, loojs like he's standing pretty far away. Eurogamer said the sweet spot was maybe 1.5 or 2 metres away.

I am waiting on it for 3 reasons.

1) I need to try it first
2) I am very sketch about 1st gen hardware especially something like this.
3) I want to see how well cinema mode works.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Did the GB guys tried to sit closer to the camera to see if that helped with the tracking problem?

Not saying that they must (as not every costumer will), but it would be a good test.

Catvoca

Banned
In work so can't follow stuff properly, but is it possible maybe in the GB studio they have powerful wifi or something maybe interfering with the connection to the bluetooth Move/DS4 controllers? Seen so many hands on with PSVR and 99% of the time the tracking has looked fine. Also saw an image from their PS4 camera, loojs like he's standing pretty far away. Eurogamer said the sweet spot was maybe 1.5 or 2 metres away.

They both said it was messed up when they used it at home though.

Vlaphor

Giantbomb is not the only place having issues, and they've reported these issues in their homes as well, so it isn't the studio.

My biggest concern doesn't come from the headset, but the fact that they are repurposing old tech for modern VR. Keep in mind that they've changed the lights and tried different distances from the camera as well

Gemeanie

I'm not watching GB stream but have they tried moving closer to the camera?
From my past experience, distance mattered a lot to Kinect's tracking so I kinda expect the same case here

Edit: Just read the post above.

Discouraging reviews :(

If psvr fail here, you can forget about psvr2.

Part of me feels the headset will do decently (maybe not gangbusters) throughout the holiday season but yeah even when they were streaming Vive I feel I'll need maybe a year or two (or second and third iterations of the hardware) before I think about jumping in.

Clearly not, considering the issues they're facing, which aren't present in majority of the reviews and impressions.

Austin from Vice Gaming and Kotaku noted similar issues...
I'm not saying the jittery stuff is common either.

As the weeks progress we will know how major an issue or not it is, nobody can say anything definitively yet.

Seventy70

Surely you must be a Sony fanboy too is you dare criticize Giant Bomb.

Except your criticism makes absolutely no sense. They are having issues right in front of the camera, live. It's not as if they are making shit up deliberately. Of course they are going to be negative if they are having issues. Maybe take a break from reading/watching hyperbole all the time so you are able to soak in some grounded opinions.

JackEtc

Giantbomb is not the only place having issues, and they've reported these issues in their homes as well, so it isn't the studio.

My biggest concern doesn't come from the headset, but the fact that they are repurposing old tech for modern VR. Keep in mind that they've changed the lights and tried different distances from the camera as well

Yeah I don't see how people could be yelling "they're doing it wrong" when like a third of the kotaku writeup is all about the stuttering tracking issues.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ugh. May cancel my pre-order too, was even getting nauseous just watching the GB stream as well. My couch is about 8 feet from my camera, so not sure I expect this thing to work well for me either, and not sure I see myself spending significant time with the software beyond the first weekend as of now.

Still, really would love to try Rez and Driveclub with it though...

jett

D-Member
How is it that people here still haven't learned how to contain themselves when a big, hyped up thing is released? What's the deal with the GB insults?

Nzyme32

Must.Defend.Corporations.Against.Any.Criticism

I find the whole thing quite amusing, considering who was commenting and their long history as such; but also that GiantBomb have done a pretty decent job for a lot of their content, bypassing "hype" culture and just taking a casual look at everything with a lot of good critique stretching from a long history with gaming.

God forbid things not live up to "hype" and not be filled with "omg" reactions. In particular for VR, which is very much in a very very simplistic era right now, with no company having knowledge of what makes amazing content or "killer apps" since the whole design language is unknown for the most part as well as the hardware / tech requirements outside the absolute basics. Over the course of years, all these platforms will improve and no doubt with many more headsets / peripherals / games that shape the whole industry

MUnited83

For you.
Surely you must be a Sony fanboy too is you dare criticize Giant Bomb. Yes, they didn't set it up correctly.
Of course they didn't, of course. Because as we know PSVR is perfect. They're not even the only ones reporting tracking issues, but yeah, surely they've must done it wrong!

Guymelef

G1Rz8aY.jpg

"I DON'T FUCKING KNOW WHY I HAVE TRACKING ISSUES"
                                                                                GiantBomb Asshole

"Ok, let's pass the initial setup and then I can go anywhere."

pcjswc.gif

v0yce

I think it's more likely that the studio environment with bright colored lights and the bright green screen and all is causing issues with the tracking that itself is based off of colored lights.

but supposedly they had some issues at their homes too so who knows.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
About what I expected and worried would happen. If you want a good VR experience get a Vive or wait for Oculus Touch.

How is it that people here still haven't learned how to contain themselves when a big, hyped up thing is released? What's the deal with the GB insults?
How is it that people don't know how to not take one single thing as gospel the Whole thing has been mixed. Everybody is just clinging to giant bomb. No one is denying the problems other outlets have mentioned it. Giant bomb seems to be having way worse problems tho

About what I expected and worried would happen. If you want a good VR experience get a Vive or wait for Oculus Touch.
Took longer than I thought for this to be said

Krisprolls

Banned
Except your criticism makes absolutely no sense. They are having issues right in front of the camera, live. It's not as if they are making shit up deliberately. Of course they are going to be negative if they are having issues. Maybe take a break from reading/watching hyperbole all the time so you are able to soak in some grounded opinions.

Jeff was too far away form the camera obviously. Brad had it right later when he was closer, it worked very well. This is a grounded opinion. ;)

Catdaddy

I am waiting on it for 3 reasons.

1) I need to try it first
2) I am very sketch about 1st gen hardware especially something like this.
3) I want to see how well cinema mode works.

^Same - add in no 'must-have' title yet. Most are looking like expensive tech demos..

Loudninja

independent.co.uk
Price is the major factor with VR. You get what you pay for; the Vive is a superior device but costs a whole lot more. Meanwhile, the Oculus is fractionally better than the PSVR but doesn’t have the catalogue of games already available on Sony's device, one of it's major selling points. For an introductory level VR headset, the PSVR is a fantastic device and an even better introduction to the world of Virtual Reality.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...gaming-sony-htc-vive-oculus-rft-a7346101.html

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Interesting.

Still keeping my preorder, but if I encounter the same issues I'll just sell it.

As far as being close to the camera thing goes. Both Brad and Jeff said at the start of the stream that they've played with the PSVR at their homes only a few feet away from the camera and have the same issues.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

That's not what most of the outlets are saying.

See, that's the other extreme in action.

I'm gonna wait until the second gen before deciding which headset to buy but I'm glad that the PSVR doesn't seem to be a complete waste of space.

Top Bottom