• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

robotrock

Banned
I tried watching the giant bomb stream and it seemed like they were nitpicking way too hard. I had to turn it off.

Definitely don't think they're nitpicking. When there's a screen in front of your face blocking your entire vision, tracking is everything.

Krisprolls

Banned
Lol, I wonder why people only call them jaded when they use Sony products.

Tell us how you really feel.

Oh no, I always call them jaded, whatever they review. You just feel they don't have fun anymore, Sony or not. Old guys trying to be the cool kid by being negative on everything.

Yeah, it's like people have already made up their minds one way and don't want to hear anything else.
This pretty much happens with everything. All you're going to get are two sides ignoring the rest of the stuff around them. One will stay in the positive station the others the negative and the opposite opinions will just fly by unnoticed by them

How can the DARE to criticize the consumer product from the company I for whatever reason feel like is my FRIEND?! This is who I am! Screw them!
Like this passive aggressive crap and that other guy calling them jaded because theyre having problems with a product they payed for

Oh no, I always call them jaded, whatever they review. You just feel they don't have fun anymore, Sony or not. Old guys trying to be the cool kid by being negative on everything.

You realise that Jeff LOVES the VR he's played before this, especially on the Vive, right?

I'm waiting till you can play VR games for at least 2 hours straight. Using VR for 30 mins at a time doesn't appeal to me.
"I wore the PSVR headset for almost 12 hours straight during one day in putting together this review and felt no kind of stress, pressure or headache at all from the hardware."

Eurogamer

robotrock

Banned

Watch them on some of their other videos with an HTC Vive, they sure know how to have some fun for being older than my grandfather

N30RYU

This is how someone should sit in front of a tracking device

qTzjKmu.jpg

instead of

G1Rz8aY.jpg

dam-psvr-playarea_en2.jpg

In no universe other than GiantBomb that camera is capturing ~1.9m wide

If the one playing is 80cm wide, the camera is captures 5,2m wide

VR doesn't yet have any killer apps. It all just seems like an interesting experiment so far, which is fine. But I personally won't spend money on it until there are compelling games that make the hardware investment feel worth the expense.

Resident Evil 7 strikes me as pretty significant VR support - if capcoke can pull that off then I can see people starting to jump in.

Alx

OléGunner;219130619 said:
TRXQXDF.gif

I mean this kinda judder is unreal.
Hopefully a patch can fix it if it is widespread.

That's probably lack of accuracy on the distance estimation due to the camera resolution. Playing closer to the camera should fix that. Or at least make it smaller. It doesn't really help that the shape on the PS4 controller isn't really optimal for precise location.

Tagyhag

Bro, you gotta watch the Rec Room segment.

That's not jaded at all.

They just call it like they see it. They even noted that the manual said that the distance from their green screen room was a safe distance.

Except that that's really not true, like at all. Jeff said Rez on PSVR last week was one of the best things he'd ever done in VR and it literally brought tears to his eyes. But the second he has issues he's a jaded fuck.

Guymelef

I have to say I'm having tracking issues with PS VR.
It's a shame.
Amazon hasn't give me a shipping date yet

daveo42

Banned

I assume you don't pay attention to most of their stuff then. Or in the very least, their Rec Room game. The headset is limited by some old tech that kind of kills the VR experience.

OSHAN

That's actually who I am as a person now. I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about games as I was back in my 20s. I mean, I still game on a regular basis, but it is more of a hobby now, instead of passion.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I'm not angry. This is not something to be downplayed. It might happen only to some, but if this is happening even to 20% of the owners, those 20% are fucked. Barfing station. I'm saying that as somebody who knows how bad the VR motion sickness can be.

But I will stop with this, control the damage all you want.

I'm not doing damage control, I even said in a comment earlier in the thread that not having a equal experience for everyone is worrisome.

My only problem was with your aggressive tone. Your comment came across as if anyone who was saying that it might not be that bad was a crazy fanboy (like a guy who's having a meltdown right now).

Loudninja

Ars technica
In a way, it's incredible that a virtual reality experience this good is possible on the PlayStation 4 at all. At its best, PlayStation VR approaches the quality of the current state-of-the-art PC-based VR headsets at a fraction of the price. The fact that the PlayStation VR is much more comfortable and has better optics than those competitors, that it can be easily set up in a living room, and that it comes with the significant software publishing muscle of Sony all make it instantly compelling.

Still, the middle-of-the-road approach comes with compromises on both ends. You don't get the easy portability and bargain price of a cell-phone based VR system, and you don't get the high-resolution, heavily detailed scenes, and effortless tracking that are possible on the high-end PC headsets. Instead, you get the same kind of easy-to-use but compromised sweet-spot of price and power that video game consoles have always aimed for. If you're looking for something to bridge that significant gap between low-end and high-end virtual reality, Sony has what you're looking for.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...-a-lot-of-bang-for-your-virtual-reality-buck/

Destuctoid
https://www.destructoid.com/review-playstation-vr-389198.phtml

So... Good and cheap tech with no games.

I'm pretty sure DRIVECLUB VR will be the only full game with VR available at launch, others seems to be little mini games with side quests.

Kind of sad.... They could do wonders bringing Alien Isolation, Dirt Rally, Project Cars and many others at day one for Ps VR.

Sony missed one big opportunity here. But good to see a user friendly setup and comfortable VR with good weight distribution.

Reviews seem to be mostly positive, GB stuff is worrying. Thankfully I can return it to Amazon if it's messing up for me as well.

So... Good and cheap tech with no games.

I'm pretty sure DRIVECLUB VR will be the only full game with VR available at launch, others seems to be little mini games with side quests.

Kind of sad.... They could do wonders bringing Alien Isolation, Dirt Rally, Project Cars and many others at day one for Ps VR.

Sony missed one big opportunity here. But good to see a user friendly setup and comfortable VR with good weight distribution.
Battlezone and rigs are full games as well. Gt sport,ace combat 7 and re7,far point are next year.

orochi91

Giant Bomb derailment aside, the hardware has been reviewing pretty well.

The real test will be when the mass market gets their hands on it; the sheer amount of cables involved will be an ongoing headache, I imagine.
"I wore the PSVR headset for almost 12 hours straight during one day in putting together this review and felt no kind of stress, pressure or headache at all from the hardware."

Eurogamer
+1

oti

Banned
This pretty much happens with everything. All you're going to get are two sides ignoring the rest of the stuff around them. One will stay in the positive station the others the negative and the opposite opinions will just fly by unnoticed by them

Like this passive aggressive crap and that other guy calling them jaded because theyre having problems with a product they payed for

I'm not in the "positive station" as you out that, just look at some of my earlier posts. GiantBomb is such a weird place and they are so different than other outlets that some people feel like they are jaded or like some companies more than others. Just look at the reactions they got for not loving the Sony E3press conference. Look at the reactions for their Shemnue Playthrough. Those are just ridiculous.

Thread slowly turning toxic.
Let's keep it civil and not attack outlets who experience genuine issues jheez.

That's probably lack of accuracy on the distance estimation due to the camera resolution. Playing closer to the camera should fix that. Or at least make it smaller. It doesn't really help that the shape on the PS4 controller isn't really optimal for precise location.

Maybe that's just it hopefully.
But the GB guys seemed to have taken the time and care to set up correctly.

This issue could be faced by thousands of new PSVR buyers even if it'll likely be a minority. It's not a great look for a new product basically.

Tagyhag

I think this is going to be the general outlook (And what most of us were predicting).

For the price, it's a great headset. Yeah it has compromises but it's the cheapest entry to high-end VR.

Giant Bomb derailment aside, the hardware has been reviewing pretty well.

The real test will be when the mass market gets their hands on it; the sheer amount of cables involved will be an ongoing headache, I imagine.

I'm very interested to hear what the mass market thinks. I think the first adopters are more tech-savvy so they won't have any problems.

Top Bottom