• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

mileS

Can I consider PT one of the best games on PS4? Because I do. It's great, such a unique and exciting experience. It's a shame people won't have access to it anymore.

I would hold nothing against you. Can't say the same for myself but I can say without a doubt, I had one of the most scary/amazing experiences playing it for the first time. If people want to sit down and say the "mechanics" were simple and confusing they can. I didn't finish P.T "officially" but I didn't have to. That right there is incredible on its own. It's a damn shame this had to happen. Very happy to still have it. My lady said she wants to see it soon too.

This doesn't give me much trust in digital distribution...

Right? I think this is a bigger issue that isn't really getting enough discussion either.

LUXURY

This who generation as a whole is just one disappointment after another. Between dodgy decisions, pointless cancelations, and price gouging I'm just over it. Not even exciting anymore. This is probably the worst part of the entire thing for me. I never ever thought I would miss the old days of gaming.

Mael

What?

Im talking about when determining who are the Creators.

Yes its true, the developers created, and not the "suits", but both groups work for Konami,using Konami assests, thus the Konami company is the creator

If we're discussing the the value of an art piece, the entity that commissionned it is actually worthless.
If Charlie Chaplin made a movie for MGM using MGM money for pretty much everything.
Charlie Chaplin, and not MGM, is the creator entity in that context.

j-wood

I think the more valid reason they would have of doing this would be for the usage of the name of Del toro and the likeness of the actor used which could be a liability for them if they leave the game be.

Also this, exactly. They would probably have to keep paying Norman for his likeness by having PT out there. As they won't be making Silent HIlls, they nixed it. This means even removing it from download lists.

MaXsPoT

The game was deleted from the US SEN servers, the link gives 404 Not Found error
2djPzaE.png

But it's still on the EU servers,
etckJI0.png

It might be possible for US PSN users to redirect the download link from the US one to the EU and download it (should work if the demo file was the same in both regions)

Justified

If we're discussing the the value of an art piece, the entity that commissionned it is actually worthless.
If Charlie Chaplin made a movie for MGM using MGM money for pretty much everything.
Charlie Chaplin, and not MGM, is the creator entity in that context.

If MGM contacted Charlie Chaplin to create that movie, the Legally MGM would be the creator (Of course technically they wouldnt be)

BibiMaghoo made this comment:

Konami are the creators - as the company that put it's creation together in both IP, Developers, finance, distribution, marketing etc...

Which is true, which you dismissed, because you are failing to realized that if any entity of Konami (artist, developers, directors,etc) creates something, then Konami is the creator from a legal point of view

I even said your statement was true :

Meh, the creators of the movie are not the suits that footed the bill for the film to be made.

But its out of the context of what Bibi was making

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The game was deleted from the US SEN servers, the link gives 404 Not Found error
2djPzaE.png

etckJI0.png

It might be possible for US PSN users to redirect the download link from the US one to the EU and download it (should work if the demo file was the same in both regions)

what's the url?

2djPzaE.png

etckJI0.png

Will this work when installing from a usb?
if yes pm pls

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
No, we don't disagree on that, I don't consider it disposable, only parts of it. I mean, Nintendogs and Brain Trainer could be examples of culture. People of a certain age will all know what they are and they have influenced society as interactive teaching and learning respectively. Fossil Fighters: Frontier is not in any way of cultural relevance, and no one would ever cite it as such. It is disposable in this context. P.T can easily be considered the same and in time I'm sure it will be. It's removal is arguably now of more note than it's existence was a year ago, so depending on where this goes, you may well get it in that book of gaming culture :p

So if I understand correctly, something needs to have mainstream success when it releases to be considered culturally relevant and worth preserving?

Did you know Citizen Kane was a flop when it released?

Mael

If MGM contacted Charlie Chaplin to create that movie, the Legally MGM would be the creator (Of course technically they wouldnt be)

BibiMaghoo made this comment:

Which is true, which you dismissed, because you are failing to realized that if any entity of Konami (artist, developers, directors,etc) creates something, then Konami is the creator from a legal point of view

I even said your statement was true :

But its out of the context of what Bibi was making

Since when were we talking about the context of the law here?
If what Konami did was illegal they would be sued right now.
Hence the example with the Taliban, there is no framework of law that would have made the buddha statues not property of the Taliban to do as they please.
If tomorrow the owners of the original script of A Song of Ice and Fire decided to torch the work, no one would have legal means to stop them.
The legal discussion was already closed when the lawyer team contracted by Konami gave the ok.

topplehat

I'm not sure I understand anyone saying it's okay for it to be pulled like this, even for those who already have the license. These arguments seem so subjective.

Theonik

The greatest trick Konami pulled was getting misguided hate directed towards digital distribution instead of themselves.
No reason not to hate both! Hate KONAMI for being twats, and hate digital distribution for empowering their being twats. Not mutually exclusive.

BibiMaghoo

So if I understand correctly, something needs to have mainstream success when it releases to be considered culturally relevant and worth preserving?

Did you know Citizen Kane was a flop when it released?

No, it needs to have a significance. That can be through mainstream success, or because it is an example of something early or not, with merit in it's own field. The drawings in my note pad are art but they are not culturally relevant, nor are they worthy of preservation. There are millions of better example of notepad doodling as a cultural entity that make my own irrelevant completely. As I said earlier, it may be that ironically P.T's removal makes it relevant because it's now an outlier and a notable example of something that has happened in video games, but a year ago that arguably wasn't the case. It was received as a demo for an upcoming silent hills game. That is not really culturally significant is it.

myco666

This really sucks. Luckily I have it downloaded already but still sucks since there will be alot of people who can't ever try it.

This doesn't give me much trust in digital distribution...

It really doesn't. I don't think that this will happen with paid products but it still worries me that it might.

No, it needs to have a significance. That can be through mainstream success, or because it is an example of something early or not, with merit in it's own field. The drawings in my note pad are art but they are not culturally relevant, nor are they worthy of preservation. There are millions of better example of notepad doodling as a cultural entity that make my own irrelevant completely. As I said earlier, it may be that ironically P.T's removal makes it relevant because it's now an outlier and a notable example of something that has happened in video games, but a year ago that arguably wasn't the case. It was received as a demo for an upcoming silent hills game. That is not really culturally significant is it.
Why were these ads in this exhibit from the 19th century preserved?

To people then, saving a bicycle ad probably seemed ludicrous. But now people study them, appreciate them and even set up exhibits to see them. Why? Because they speak to the culture of the day. Because they're important.

Mael

Chances are that despite its current acclaim something like Citizen Kane would never have been archived with the mindset the industry have for its content.
We could have had the very same discussion about Citizen Kane's master with the very same arguments holding the same validity.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

I really don't think you can judge if something released this year will have cultural significance in 100 years.

What I was trying to say is, according to the general public when it released, Citizen Kane probably didn't have cultural significance. Yet it does now.

I can't see them, but presumably because they are early examples of a now extremely prevalent entity.
Check out the linked exhibit and see what you think then.
We're giving advertising awards too if you didn't know
They're really pretty much part of our culture in the same way cinema is.
We can certainly recognize that most ads have a different purpose than a Picasso painting or a beautiful movie. But they're important since they give a visual record of our cultural history, specifically our tastes, our trends, our dreams, our nightmares, our needs, our buying habits, our failures, our successes, etc.

Bold One

Any light been shed on exactly what transpired between Kojima and Konami that made them initiate this Scorched Earth campaign?

AlexIIDX

I'm allowing P.T. playthroughs for the next month via sharplay for the low low price of 5 US dollars!....I will await your pm's.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There are two things of note in that regard:
  • Valve has never (to my knowledge) allowed a company to remove a download for existing licencees.
  • Steam runs on PC, so if anyone pulls something blatantly anti-consumer there are always ways to reverse it.

Illegal ways though, so that's hardly an argument. Chances are people will hack PS4 some time down the road, too, and find a way to copy P.T. on hacked PS4s. Doesn't make it any better if you want to stay legal.

I work in the video game industry. Guess what? Similar stuff happens all the time. Vertical slices, demos, even near completed games get cancelled ALL THE TIME. Difference is that you just don't know about 90% of them.

Like I said, get over it with your holier than thou "preservation of human culture" attitude. At the end of the day, it's just a demo no one will talk about in a year.

The difference is, as you've said, people don't know about them. They aren't part of our shared culture. And although none of these things are world changing, it's pretty awesome when we discover the thought processes and discarded writings of creative people from the past. Unseen 64. DaVinchi. Doesn't really matter, worlds a better place for them.

Ha, man, okay. I can understand disagreeing with the assessment of "it's just a teaser for a canceled game, get over it," but this seems like a bit much.

Not really. I can see a lot of this "hur hur video games" stuff coming from a pretty pathetic place, seeing as these are people on a video games forum pulling down their own medium.

Alienous

Kojima, divert your team to PT and stealth upload it onto the internet. Don't worry about optimization, just flick the PC switch and upload it, modders will figure it out if it doesn't work.

You must do this.

Yeah, never understood people getting upset over burnt down libraries either. Just a bunch of paper right? I mean, get over it!

Yes, It's "just videogames" to us now but it might be a good thing to preserve even mundane things like videogames for the future since especially day-to-day things are pretty important to determine how people lived and what they did with their time.

This looks to me like Konami is just being a defiant child throwing a tantrum. Sure there may some valid reason they pull this but it really looks like they trying to stop people from even playing the damn thing, not just getting it.

Top Bottom