• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG's Xbox "exclusivity" is just as confusing as it was for ROTTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

Didn't uncle Phil say multiple times that he is against this kind of business?

They are a small team. Microsoft is paying for them to help cover the costs of bringing this to xbox. Do you expect microsoft to pay them to develop the Playstation version too?

Third-party moneyhats suck. Microsoft moneyhats suck and Sony moneyhats suck. The only people who enjoy them are company executives who get to advertize these 'exclusives' and blind fanboys who don't seem to understand that any such 'victory' over the 'enemy' will inevitably lead to them getting screwed over once the 'enemy' retaliates with the same shit. Yet in every relevant thread you can see people celebrating Sony's or Microsoft's "huge get." In the world of gaming very few things are sadder than gamers celebrating that other gamers are getting screwed over.

They are a small team. Microsoft is paying for them to help cover the costs of bringing this to xbox. Do you expect microsoft to pay them to develop the Playstation version too?

Its a multi studio project that has sold 7 million copies to date.

That excuse doesnt work here.

Speaking of. Great line from the press release.

"The project started humbly with only 40 people on the team."
Truely the grass roots indie garage project.

Its a multi studio project that has sold 7 million copies to date.

That excuse doesnt work here.

Speaking of. Great line from the press release.

Truely the grass roots indie garage project.

How does that matter? How many of those are programmers, capable of porting the game to PS4?

cakely

ITT I learned that the PUBG community manager is named "Poopie Queen".

And not much else, actually.

Honestly, a huge difference between this and ROTTR is that we're talking about the port of the PC version to consoles, and not an actual exclusive to the Xbox One console. It sounds like the Xbox One will be getting a version and then the PS4 will be getting one in the indefinite future.

"ROTTB" I understood that reference. :)

Hey quick, someone tell me what the exclusivity situation is for the Crash n sane collection? Funny how its only when microsoft has a murky exckusive that people get mad...

The forum search function is your friend, but oh wait ... that was just a poor attempt at snark. Never mind.

Blobbers

People hating on Phil need to open their eyes. The confusing PR about PUBG excluivity is only too similar to Sony and Acti acting coy about Crash exclusivity a few months back. It's almost like this is a direct response from Phil to other pubs to stop doing this shit because he's been there and he knows the confusion helps nobody, especially paying customers. Microsoft and Bluehole are being ironically obtuse about the PUBG deal, so to speak, and none of this would've happened if other pubs were more clear in their messaging.

If anything, this make Phil more charming in my eyes, if he's masterminded this whole thing.

Head.spawn

You just posted a twitter person trying to ask a question weirdly... MS isn't publishing the game on PC and Xbox, which is what he asked... they're publishing the Xbox One version.

"not any other consoles with MS as the publisher?"

Why would MS be publishing on another console?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People hating on Phil need to open their eyes. The confusing PR about PUBG excluivity is only too similar to Sony and Acti acting coy about Crash exclusivity a few months back. It's almost like this is a direct response from Phil to other pubs to stop doing this shit because he's been there and he knows the confusion helps nobody, especially paying customers. Microsoft and Bluehole are being ironically obtuse about the PUBG deal, so to speak, and none of this would've happened if other pubs were more clear in their messaging.

If anything, this make Phil more charming in my eyes, if he's masterminded this whole thing.

Is this a real post?

Console publishers being indirect about whether a game is actually exclusive or not have been going on for years, and I never get why MS gets so much shit flung at them for the Tomb Raider shit. Off the top of my head there were those Capcom games on the Gamecube like RE4, which not only came out on the PS2, but nearly every other console that has existed since then. Then there's Crash coming or not coming to the Xbox? Or the mystery of whether Nioh will come to the PC or not.

Chobel

10/10

Hahaha

Console publishers being indirect about whether a game is actually exclusive or not have been going on for years, and I never get why MS gets so much shit flung at them for the Tomb Raider shit. Off the top of my head there were those Capcom games on the Gamecube like RE4, which not only came out on the PS2, but nearly every other console that has existed since then. Then there's Crash coming or not coming to the Xbox? Or the mystery of whether Nioh will come to the PC or not.
To be fair the capcom 5 were meant to be 100% gamecube exclusive. It's sales killed that.

hqdefault.jpg

GeoramA

Not confusing at all. Will come to other systems eventually.

Phil has to do these deals because they don't have much else.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The forum search function is your friend, but oh wait ... that was just a poor attempt at snark. Never mind.

I got ya covered.

Hahaha

I really can't fathom having a job that allows you to use 'PoopieQueen' as a Twitter handle for PR work

This. LOL.

STEaMkb

Bluehole have confirmed a PS4 version at least twice during interviews.

”There is something called ‘Game Preview' on Xbox One. It's like Early Access for Xbox. We have the game running on that and are in process of polishing it. For the release, we'll both release it on PlayStation and Xbox."

http://kotaku.com/battlegrounds-producer-chang-han-kim-reportedly-told-in-1793809960

Question: "Are you a hard Xbox console exclusive for the foreseeable, or are you considering other platforms?"

Chang Han Kim: "So, we definitely do have plans and thoughts about other platforms... but at the same time, we're still an early access game."

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/27/ho...from-scrappy-mod-to-one-of-the-games-of-2017/

Theorry

The defense has arrived. But yea I thought the savior Phil hated those types of deals ����

He said he is not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content. Destiny like for example.

”I don't know what deals get written. I've been pretty open about, I'm not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don't see that in the deals we've done with Assassin's and Shadow. We'll have a marketing deal on those, but I don't say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can't play.

Fortnite is early access on PS4.

You can buy Fortnite on PS4 even though it says it's in early access.

Not the same and you know it.

I think this seems to be a case of sticking to the PR line gone wrong. MS is publishing the XB1 version and nothing more is how it looks to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom