• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to Americas and Europe

emb

C2Bx9QMUcAEmcYC.jpg:large
Oooh, physical confirmed. This is on my radar now. Could be fun as a launch game.

Miker

So weird that the PS4 version of a niche SEGA game is physical only. Probably not ideal for people who want to dip into Puyo here and there without putting in a disc. It's like I woke up in opposite land. That said, I'm not complaining, although I feel bad for Switch owners paying that new console tax when the system's launch is already barren besides Zelda.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The best news to come out of this. No digital version for PS4 is weird and a bummer.

Last I checked Ubisoft still had the exclusive rights for digital distribution of Tetris outside of Japan on already existing platforms. The Switch is a different scenario.

Shizuka

I wish they'd bring the other versions, not like it'll devalue the game. In any case, it looks really nice, maybe I'll get the PS4 version in a sale.

Tapejara

Nice to have it confirmed. Will be grabbing the PS4 version.

I wish they'd bring the other versions, not like it'll devalue the game. In any case, it looks really nice, maybe I'll get the PS4 version in a sale.

My guess is that if the PS4 version isn't being released digitally, chances are the Vita version wouldn't be able to be released digitally either, and SEGA probably can't justify doing a physical-only release of a Vita title outside of Japan.

Shizuka

My guess is that if the PS4 version isn't being released digitally, chances are the Vita version wouldn't be able to be released digitally either, and SEGA probably can't justify doing a physical-only release of a Vita title outside of Japan.

It doesn't make sense that the Switch version would have a digital release while the PS4 version won't. At this point, if you don't have any interest in doing a retail run, at least release the game digitally.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It doesn't make sense that the Switch version would have a digital release while the PS4 version won't. At this point, if you don't have any interest in doing a retail run, at least release the game digitally.

Ubisoft holds the Tetris digital distribution rights for existing platforms in the West.
Swtich is a new platform with presumably new contracts as I believe Ubisoft would not have been able to negotiate a "in perpetuity" deal with Tetris Company, thus SEGA can do a Western digital release there.

mugen812

So if I have the Japanese version now, would that online play be compatible with the version that comes to the states?

Preordered Puyo Puyo Tetris for PS4 on Amazon.

Who would've thought that the most exciting announcement from yesterday was PPT for me?

We already knew about Zelda so whatever. And I'm getting that on WiiU too. But bring on PPT!!! This is the closest I'll get to a Tetris & Dr. Mario sequel as I'll get.

Negator

The game is so cheap I wouldnt mind double or even triple dipping on both NA versions. Would play the PS4 version at home and the Switch version on the go.

Negator

Are there any details on what is new from the PS4 JP version aside from the localization?

Or will it be the exact same game?

Ubisoft holds the Tetris digital distribution rights for existing platforms in the West.
Swtich is a new platform with presumably new contracts as I believe Ubisoft would not have been able to negotiate a "in perpetuity" deal with Tetris Company, thus SEGA can do a Western digital release there.

Oh no, this somehow makes sense. What a shame.

ar4757

Hmm, Switch will have local multiplayer with one joycon per player right? That would be great, I only have the Vita import.

PS4 version is disc only (due to EA ownership of the IP digitally, or something)

It can.

Ubisoft. EA had the license last generation. A lot of the EA licenses went to Ubisoft. Tetris and practically anything based on Hasbro properties (i.e. Monopoly, Risk, Boggle, etc.)

Top Bottom