• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to Americas and Europe

Raitaro

Quite an unexpected localization for sure, but I'm definitely not complaining. I did buy the Japanese version at some point but never played it all that much because of having to look up menu translations everytime so I'll definitely double dip or perhaps even triple dip (for PS4 and Switch) so I can more easily play it with others.

Hopefully this also increases the chances of that 3D Classics release for Puyo Puyo 2 as well as Puyo Puyo Chronicle on 3DS getting a release outside of Japan.

(Now if only Nintendo themselves could try and find a way to do something with the Tetris Attack IP again or with that awesome Snes Tetris & Dr. Mario crossover that used similar mix and match modes as Puyo Puyo Tetris. Or would both of them be stuck under Ubisoft's digital Tetris rights unlike this game?)

Peltz

C2Bx9QMUcAEmcYC.jpg:large

Damn... looks like I'm going to need to grab this one early.

By the way, this game makes me really wish Switch came with a D-Pad. Such a mistake, Nintendo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was under the impression that this was a Switch launch game. Am I incorrect?
GS is saying May 2nd, Amazon says May 23rd.

Guessing it's sometime in May (that would fit the "Spring" release window), but no, this will not launch on the same day as the Switch.

.........also omg, next month marks the fact this originally came out in Japan THREE YEARS AGO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anybody who's played this? Is it worth $40?
I imported the Vita version for $30ish (it was the "special price" version, i.e. the re-release) & was pleased with my purchase. If you like either game, then it's worth playing, especially on the go.

$40 might seem a bit much, but considering it's for physical + bonus keychains + being able to take it on the go with 2P ready at any time, I'd say it's worth it on the Switch, especially for a system that'll barely be 2 months old & will probably want something else to go with Zelda or Bomberman.

Also, based on the trailer, it sounds like Sega took the time/money to actually dub the game, meaning I can't wait to hear the Story Mode in English & trying to explain this silly crossover.

RedToad64

GS is saying May 2nd, Amazon says May 23rd.

Guessing it's sometime in May (that would fit the "Spring" release window), but no, this will not launch on the same day as the Switch.

.........also omg, next month marks the fact this originally came out in Japan THREE YEARS AGO.

Launch game in Japan. April or May for the rest of the world.

Ah, launch day in Japan. This isn't as close as I hoped. Hmm... might have to pick up Bomberman then...

bman94

I imported the Vita version for $30ish (it was the "special price" version, i.e. the re-release) & was pleased with my purchase. If you like either game, then it's worth playing, especially on the go.

$40 might seem a bit much, but considering it's for physical + bonus keychains + being able to take it on the go with 2P ready at any time, I'd say it's worth it on the Switch, especially for a system that'll barely be 2 months old & will probably want something else to go with Zelda or Bomberman.

Also, based on the trailer, it sounds like Sega took the time/money to actually dub the game, meaning I can't wait to hear the Story Mode in English & trying to explain this silly crossover.

There's an actual story mode to this?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a character named Satan.

...who has a crush on Arle, who was one of the first protagonists of the Puyo Puyo games.

......also there's a fish with legs because why not.

WhyMe6

Does anyone have a link to a good video explaining the game basics and the different game modes? I've tried searching but have been less than successful finding a comprehensive one.

So, is their anyplace in the UK that has performed orders up for this? All I see online is imports of the Japanese versions and none for the switch.

vanty

C2XiHFAXgAA2GDF.jpg

The lack of a d-pad on the standard Switch controller is going to be painful.
What were they thinking?
That more people would be interested in two people playing multiplayer with the two joy-cons than the amount of people that think a d-pad is important. For the sort of people who are NeoGAF members it's disappointing but also I totally understand Nintendo's decision.

Maybe a d-pad joy-con will be shown whenever they reveal what Virtual Console is for Switch. I'd buy it day one as long as VC is the vast improvement we all hope it is.

Chorazin

The lack of a d-pad on the standard Switch controller is going to be painful.
What were they thinking?

99% of people that play this game will never have the skill level that would absolutely NEED a d-pad. It played just fine with the circle pad on my JN3DS.

Dachande

If you're only going to play single player, maybe not. If you have friends or a SO to play with, then absolutely.

Or... That's a trailer image which could also show 2CPU

You can just about make out "3P" and "4P" on the rightmost fields, but to be honest my concern is that the image is photoshopped and 4-player tablet mode doesn't actually make it into the game.

It'd be weird not to support 4 players in TV mode, and AFAIK all games have to have the same functionality in tablet mode, so it seems more likely to be in than not, but it's worry in the back of my head.

Does anyone have a link to a good video explaining the game basics and the different game modes? I've tried searching but have been less than successful finding a comprehensive one.

Scroll up, watch the full video. (P.S. Swap mode all day long)

WEGGLES

I generally don't preorder games, but given this is a limited physical release on ps4, I figured I may as well. Love me some puzzle games! Can not wait for this!

Because the minimum order for physical release is highest on Xbox One by a big margin (I've heard 75k or 50k a few times and a few people saying 200k) compared to other platforms. PS4 they can do whatever print run they want and it will no doubt sell more than Xbox One would. On Xbox if they were confident they could sell that many, they would do it. Vita they could've done if they wanted becasue you can do a smaller print run. Licensing was for physical only.

For Switch since it is a new license (I assume) they could add digital and it is digital also on Switch.
Wait, this is serious? How on earth they feel like having a minimum print this high? (50k should be play, I'm stunned by the 200k figure)

Dr Thor

Neo Member

If you played Puyo Puyo once or twice, and have a mild fondness for Tetris, yes -- especially if you have anyone to play with.

If you *love* Puyo and Tetris, as I do, it's worth three times that. So much fun to be had in this package.

There's a character named Satan.

...who has a crush on Arle, who was one of the first protagonists of the Puyo Puyo games.

......also there's a fish with legs because why not.
I just watched the trailer in slow motion to see if any of the players highlighted him on the character select screen. They did not :( I don't know if anywhere else showed his name but previously his name was localised to Dark Prince instead.

The crush plotline was from the first game released which featured Arle; Madou Monogatari episode 2* (Puyo Puyo was originally a spin-off that uses the same world and characters of that franchise; kind of like Mario Kart is to Super Mario...except this is a weird universe where only Mario Kart games are made now, rarely localised and for some reason half the cast was replaced with original characters following similar archetypes but these have slowly been reverted back
yeah analogies aren't my strong point and I'm probably preaching to the converted
).

*-Yes episode 2 came out before episode 1 (at least according to the MSX release dates on Puyo Nexus).

Guys, Switch games in handheld/tabletop mode have zero differences outside of graphical features, that's the whole point of the console. I will gladly eat crow if that's somehow someway not the case

I just preordered it. I've never played it before, I don't even really know what Puyo is. But you all seem excited about it and it's a limited Switch release - preorders and one print, and that's it. I have a feeling you can't wait for a sale on it if you really want the physical game.

Happily put $5 down to give me the option when it comes out.

Begbie

Not sure if this was covered but any idea how big the Switch game boxes are.. they look thinner so maybe the same size as Vita games?

I haven't had a portable Puyo Puyo since I imported Fever 2 on the DS and had to make a cheat sheet of menu translations.

FUCK I AM SO HYPE.

I have a PS4 Pro, but I get the feeling I'm going to be buying quite a few multi-plats for Switch just for handheld mode, and also because the Pro controller is great (if it's anything like the Wii U Pro).

Top Bottom