• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

Am I the only one that thought the story was cool? I loved the TV episodes. *shrug*
Nope - I enjoyed it too and it's frustrating to see a company get criticised for trying to innovate and do something different. Better than the same old same old safe play it by numbers sequel fest that our industry has turned into in the aaa space.

Nocturno999

CpgdYJcUsAgoSLQ.jpg

Megaton. Great job for releasing a physical version MS. Now make another Age of Empires and release Gears collection + 4 for Steam please.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Interesting decision given Microsoft owns the IP. Alan Wake made sense because it was Remedy's IP. Why would Microsoft do a Steam release of QB but not Gears, Forza, ReCore or Scalebound?

Damnit bought this on Win10 store thinking it would for sure be one of those games that never went to another service.

For those who haven't got it, it's a little on the short side but it is a good game. Hopefully it's not full retail price on steam day 1.

Granjinha

Damnit bought this on Win10 store thinking it would for sure be one of those games that never went to another service.

For those who haven't got it, it's a little on the short side but it is a good game. Hopefully it's not full retail price on steam day 1.

It will be 40 bucks

ethomaz

Banned
So it is already "ported" in DX11? I guess the engine was build in DX11 with some features in DX12 after all.

Or I'm getting this wrong.

Sydle

So it is already "ported" in DX11? I guess the engine was build in DX11 with some features in DX12 after all.

Or I'm getting this wrong.

Development started well before DX12 was available, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was built in DX11.

Bluth54

Glad to see this version getting a release on a PC store that could allow it to sell a decent number of copies unlike the Win 10 store release.

Daingurse

I'll probably pick this up for cheap sometime down the line, if there are some performance gains. I really enjoyed my time with Quantum Break in-spite of all the Windows store issues.

Interesting decision given Microsoft owns the IP. Alan Wake made sense because it was Remedy's IP. Why would Microsoft do a Steam release of QB but not Gears, Forza, ReCore or Scalebound?

Scalebound and Recore are very likely to be on the table for Steam. Those are basically the same kind of collaborations as Quantum Break. A first party studio game hitting Steam would open the floodgates.

Any word if Windows Store owners get a discount on the Steam version? Probably not... But curious. I'd much rather own it on Steam but don't want to buy it again.

Daingurse

Any word if Windows Store owners get a discount on the Steam version? Probably not... But curious. I'd much rather own it on Steam but don't want to buy it again.

That would be cool but I'm not holding my breath. I think I'll wait for a Steam sale. I already dropped $60 on this damn game back in April, not going to cough up another $40 hahaha.

Chris1

Could have been part of the contract with Remedy (PC 6 month after release, after how well AW did) from the beginning, which at that point Win10/UWP wasn't really a thing with the development being so long so MS was like sure why not like Ryse and DR3. At that point they couldn't very well say no release on Steam because Remedy obviously wouldn't agree to that when they'd already agreed to a Steam release, but they probably could persuade Remedy to do a Win10 launch day and date with Steam later as originally planned.

Of course those other games could go to Steam too, and QB does set an interesting precedent, but I think with how long QB was in development, QB isn't exactly indicative of anything.. yet. Maybe there was nothing like that in the contract even, and MS is just putting all their games on steam after X months, but I think it's too early to tell yet

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, picked it up during the MS sale on Win 10 a few weeks ago thinking this would never happen.

Still haven't even touched it beyond testing my specs, but whatever I guess.

sfried

Except 10 is a better OS and so was 8.1.

Now if you just mean UWP then sure.

I feel Win 8.1 will be a very underrated OS. It is by far the most backwards compatible OS when it comes to playing old PC classics.

As for performance, I wonder if DX12 really does provide performance advantages as they claim once they compare it with the DX11 version of this game.

Soltype

Except 10 is a better OS and so was 8.1.

Now if you just mean UWP then sure.
I can't 100 % agree with you here.I just started using 10 a few weeks ago and it's not head and shoulders above 7.It feels more like a sidegrade than a complete upgrade.The only reason I have it now is for dx12.

Purest 78

I'd assume before the deal was made remedy said it had to be released on Steam as well.

AHK_Hero

Define relevant

Part 1. Microsoft makes questionable decision.

Part 2. Microsoft realizes that no one liked aforementioned decision.

Part 3. Microsoft backpedals changes course to the delight of its customers.

Most notable example, Xbox One online only requirement. At times the company seems at odds with itself. Maybe it's my bias talking as I'm also an IT guy, but some of the stuff they do makes it seem like their different departments have no communication whatsoever.

This particular incident reads to me like someone decided that low digital sales were a necessary sacrifice to encourage people, notably game enthusiasts to use the Windows Store (UWP). A second person later steps in and realizes there was not nearly enough return on the initial investment put into creating the product. This person then reverses the earlier decision to increase revenue, to the delight of customers everywhere.

Just my opinion. Feel free to call me out, but I doubt it was the master plan all along.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I would guess this is Microsoft testing the waters, trying to get a sense of how much money it's leaving on the table by attempting to force engagement with the WinStore.

I'd assume before the deal was made remedy said it had to be released on Steam as well.

Microsoft owns the game itself and the IP -- it entirely funded development. This time around, Remedy had no bargaining chip, especially when you consider that QB is the result of a lack of publisher confidence in Alan Wake.

Top Bottom