• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

Daingurse

Am I the only one that thought the story was cool? I loved the TV episodes. *shrug*

I found the story to be very compelling and interesting. The TV show was also pretty cool, was a good change of pace from cutscenes, and I found it fairly entertaining. Quantum Break is honestly one of my highlights of the year, found it to be very engaging to play. I still return to it often to fuck around with the combat, or just marvel at the visuals.

Vic_Viper

Where and wen will the PC retail version of the be available to pre order? I've been holding off since they didn't have a disc version for PC at launch and now I'm so in!

Tried GameStop and it wasn't in their system yet, any idea if/when it will be?

Also anyone with Amazon Prime know if the 20% off discount works when preordering it their?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Because Azure will go away so fast. Right.

The issue isn't Azure going away, the issue is that one business unit of Microsoft doesn't necessarily want to sustain indefinitely the server instances, even if they're going to another business unit of Microsoft.

Note that in 2013, Microsoft launched Galactic Reign, which was a space strategy game for Windows Phone and the Windows App Store on Windows 8. The appeal of the game is that the main interface was very visually simple and would run on anything, but when you actually got into a fight, the game would render incredibly elaborate CG videos specific to the fight. But because this would be very large to store locally because of all the possibilities, the game would store the videos on a remote server and stream them to you. Does this sound familiar? It's the same way Quantum Break works with the TV cutscenes, and it's the same justification.

The game was unfortunately not a hit, probably because no one uses the Windows App Store and no one uses Windows Phone. Who knew? Anyway, 5 months after release, Microsoft shut down the game citing the costs of maintaining the server instances, which were also certainly on Azure.

Now I'm not saying Quantum Break will go away tomorrow or anything, but I'm saying we already have a case of Microsoft shutting down an unpopular online-required game because even though it was on Azure, they didn't want to pay to host and serve a bunch of videos from Azure.

If this analogy between the games is incorrect, I trust someone with Microsoft will clarify that they will maintain the Quantum Break servers for, say, 5 years minimum or guarantee a patch to make the game local-friendly (perhaps by just having compressed 1080p copies as local downloads like every other game ever does). If they haven't, then they invite people to draw comparisons.

derFeef

I can imagine that they will see QB a little different and a bit more important (I hope). maybe the show is on the same "network" as the whole Halo series or other streaming movies they offer. As said before, I hope they add an option to download the episodes on Steam just like they did on Xbox One.
But they did not on the Windows Store as well.. so who knows :(

Parsnip

They should just add the tv show parts as an optional DLC download on Steam and then just make the game use them if they exists, stream if they do not.

They should just add the tv show parts as an optional DLC download on Steam and then just make the game use them if they exists, stream if they do not.

I would be considerably more willing to buy the game if that was the case. My internet is poo poo in terms of speed but has unlimited bandwidth so that would be great for me.

Nzyme32

Exactly, but apparently there is no current intention to make them available for download, which is ridiculous if you ask me. I'm certain MS will end support eventually. Even though someone will workaround the issue when the time comes, it's a red flag for any game to have such a inaccessible component.

Parsnip

I would be considerably more willing to buy the game if that was the case. My internet is poo poo in terms of speed but has unlimited bandwidth so that would be great for me.

Exactly, but apparently there is no current intention to make them available for download, which is ridiculous if you ask me. I'm certain MS will end support eventually. Even though someone will workaround the issue when the time comes, it's a red flag for any game to have such a inaccessible component.
I have to wonder if it's some weird contractual issue with the actors or something.
It certainly isn't a technical one.

is that integral to the story? does the story makes sense without that? or do the in game cutscenes explain everything?
The main story arc still makes perfect sense without the show. The show is focused on other characters and shows interactions that happens alongside the events of the game.

It's a great way to make the game universe more complete, which is also augmented by the emails and files you find through the game.

tioslash

Does it have SLI support?

Don´t think so.

Quoting a post from QB forums made today by Remedy´s Head of Community answering some questions over there:

1) Video offline mode remains Xbox One exclusive feature.
2) Similar to the Windows 10 version, Quantum Break doesn't support SLI on Steam / PC retail.
3) Steam / PC retail versions use DX11 and Windows 10 Store version uses DX12.
4) THQ Nordic (retail distributor) will announce more details about the Special Edition availability closer to launch.

And to answer a question that eventually comes up somewhere sometime:

I got the Windows 10 version of Quantum Break when I bought the Xbox One version. Will I get the Steam version for free as well?
The free Windows 10 version was a bonus item for Xbox One pre-orders. The pre-order campaign ended when the game launched last April.

You can't use DX12 on not-Windows 10 and there's no point in using DX11 on Windows 10 if you have a working DX12 codepath

Of course there is. If your DX12 code path is rushed and generally terrible (like this game's is btw) it is better to have driver optimisations via DX11.

LordRaptor

You can't use DX12 on not-Windows 10 and there's no point in using DX11 on Windows 10 if you have a working DX12 codepath

Its not W10 raising the question, its W10 store.
I'd imagine its a mistake in the community FAQ, as the people who put up FAQs on message boards aren't the same people who write tech reqs for storefront pages, and the steam storefront clearly recommends DX12.

ekgrey

Do we have a price for the Steam version yet? Retail is $40 and includes a Steam key as well as the discs, right?

aeolist

Banned
Don´t think so.

Quoting a post from QB forums made today by Remedy´s Head of Community answering some questions over there:

SLI is basically a DX driver hack implemented by nvidia, the game doesn't have to support it for them to make it work. obviously it can be easier or harder depending on the renderer's design but it's possible.

the only reason the previous version didn't support it is because the hack isn't possible for DX12 drivers.

FyreWulff

That depends on how good your DX12 code path is, and how optimized it is for different GPU architectures. We'll see shortly.

I think it more likely they just went and quickly changed things to be <12 compatible. Any perf issues are more likely to be deeper in the code than that. I don't personally expect much of a difference.

I think it more likely they just went and quickly changed things to be <12 compatible. Any perf issues are more likely to be deeper in the code than that. I don't personally expect much of a difference.

If anything I think their codebase was DX11, with DX12 path quickly implemented when MS want them to release on W10 store at the last minute. They themselves said that they have way more experience shipping DX11 titles. That hints at possible performance improvement. Plus IHVs can step in and optimize part of it on drivers level.

dr_rus

You can't use DX12 on not-Windows 10 and there's no benefit or reason to add DX11 to the already working DX12 version.

But you can use Steam on Win10, right? As well as DX11 in WinStore. Makes no sense to keep two versions in two stores.

FyreWulff

But you can use Steam on Win10, right? As well as DX11 in WinStore. Makes no sense to keep two versions in two stores.

it's probably not that much extra work, and corp politics wise, it'd look like like they're migrating people from Win10Store to Steam if they went "okay, now all of you have to go redeem this Steam key for further updates".

It's also possible the Win 10 version will continue to have Live achievements/integration, while the Steam version will have Steam achievements/integration instead. I don't think Valve allows games to have achievements via Steamworks AND another store service at the same time.

joms5

You're just being pedantic now lad.

The live action scenes are integral to the experience, and not having them included with the game locally is ridiculous.

I'm not sure if someone has done this already or not but i'm sure someone will just capture/download the cutscenes (or episodes), convert them to a 1080p quality video and then release them online for people to download.

Wait and see.

Parsnip

I don't think Valve allows games to have achievements via Steamworks AND another store service at the same time.

They allow it, but it's rare. Mostly because there aren't really a lot of competing services that offer achievements on PC.

Of the top of my head, Batman Arkham City had both before WB removed the rotting carcass of GFWL from the game.

I'm not sure if someone has done this already or not but i'm sure someone will just capture/download the cutscenes (or episodes), convert them to a 1080p quality video and then release them online for people to download.

Wait and see.

I got to the first scene and skipped it after 5 minutes. If I wanted to watch bad TV I'd go watch a syfy show.

Game is decent but yeah performance is all over the place. It's incredibly good looking tho

NeoRaider

Don't do it. I still feel ripped off paying 20 bucks for the game since it's still not playable at a reasonable quality/performance ratio even with top of the line hardware.
Wait for the reports, key prices are unlikely to skyrocket or anything for this game lol

I don't know why but i think that DX11 performance will be better. lol

PaulLFC

Does the digital version on Steam include digital versions of the CE extras (soundtrack, making of book etc)? If it does I'll just go digital rather than physical since it's cheaper.

tioslash

Does the digital version on Steam include digital versions of the CE extras (soundtrack, making of book etc)? If it does I'll just go digital rather than physical since it's cheaper.

I asked on twitter a couple days ago about this because I was very much interested in it and Remedy´s head of PR said that as far as he knows, there won´t be any digital versions of the extras. Not 100% definitive answer though, so I think we´ll have to wait a couple more weeks to see if there is any more information on that.

PaulLFC

I asked on twitter a couple days ago about this because I was very much interested in it and Remedy´s head of PR said that as far as he knows, there won´t be any digital versions of the extras. Not 100% definitive answer though, so I think we´ll have to wait a couple more weeks to see if there is any more information on that.
Cheers!

NeoRaider

Remedy completely removed DX12 from Steam. Today they updated the store page, and removed DX12 mention, it was listed under Recommended SR. But...

RH7geMh.png

Not anymore.

madjoki

Remedy completely removed DX12 from Steam. Today they updated the store page, and removed DX12 mention, it was listed under Recommended SR. But...

RH7geMh.png

Not anymore.

Well they also have called it "DX11-version" before, so it probably doesn't have DX12 renderer at all.
I think they also said there's no difference in image quality between DX11/12.

Top Bottom