• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

They need to be streamed and this isn't changing in the Steam version.

Did they confirm this?
It that's true, then it sucks. What will happen if someone is playing the game @ 4k?
Does the video stream at 4k also? If it is only 1080p then wont it be a bit jarring.

duckroll

Okay so someone explain this to me quick. The Windows Store version of this is only playable on Windows 10 right? Does this Steam version work in Win7?

Well, this is essentially a new version as they are porting it from UWP to x86/x64.
Is this really more than just packaging though when it really comes down to it? It'll work with injectors and stuff, but I hesitate to think this is a major architectural code change. The image reconstruction / toggle and performance gap likely still remains right... unless this is a big overhaul. I don't see them gimping their Windows store release next to the Steam version.

AP90

I may just have to double dip... Or is it triple if I have the win10 version because of my Xbox one preorder?

Awesome game, got all the achievements (1000gs). Will probably buy day one just to support remedy and there awesome work.

Was waiting to play on PC through win10 after it had some stability updates.

Wonder if this game at 4k will be the crysis equivalent graphics benchmarker for how good your card is =P

patapuf

Is this really more than just packaging though when it really comes down to it? It'll work with injectors and stuff, but I hesitate to think this is a major architectural code change. The image reconstruction / toggle and performance gap likely still remains right... unless this is a big overhaul. I don't see them gimping their Windows store release next to the Steam version.

It's essentially a port, just like a console to PC port.

Performance issues might indeed remain, though the game has been out for a while and maybe they'll do some more patching for the steam release.

For a BD-Rom? No, you don't.

Yes but for watching movies you do, which is why few buy blue ray players for PC.

You have to stream them, we cannot offer the download option that is available on the Xbox One unfortunately. Far from ideal, we know :(
That's pretty crappy to hear.
Can you please explain why not?
Is it a Microsoft pulling the strings kinda thing?

Edit: 3 questions if I may
1) Do they stream at the same resolution as the game is set at?
2) Do they go up to 4k?
3) And will Steam workshop be supported?

Water

You have to stream them, we cannot offer the download option that is available on the Xbox One unfortunately. Far from ideal, we know :(

I really hoped this would be fixed now as well. Is server load somehow a problem? (Hard to imagine it would be easier to serve streamed video than a download.) Would it help if you took a page from Blizzard's playbook and distributed the files with a downloader that is a custom one-purpose torrent client?

This isn't just a small matter of preference. The only connection my GTX 1080 -powered PC has to the Internet is a cellphone. I have no problem downloading 200GB of game installers or video over a weekend (my operator has no caps and I live in the middle of Helsinki), but I don't have reliable enough momentary bandwidth to comfortably stream high res video. I regularly get disconnects/interruptions even in Hearthstone matches. Since the videos are supposed to be an integral part of QB, no video download/caching = no buy for me.

ultimota

really glad more people get to play this :) had such a great time with it story is great and its freaking stunning.

also glad it is win32, while i don't have an issue with UWP alot of people seem to and they shouldn't miss out :) options are good :D

Lazaro

Woot DX11 support. Now I can hold on to my Fermi card a little longer.

I wonder if this means First Party titles are coming to Steam? Makes business sense for Microsoft Studios to publish second and third party titles but what about titles like Halo, Forza?

Also I hope those Win 10 Quantum Break Xbox codes can be imported into Stream

Very interested in the game now based on what I previously saw on YouTube. I'll definitely have to pick it up. Hopefully it runs a lot better than I heard the windows store version did.

pastrami

Glad I waited. For the record, you can't download the video files on PC right? Can you still play offline, and what happens when you reach a cutscene without an internet connection?

tioslash

Glad I waited. For the record, you can't download the video files on PC right? Can you still play offline, and what happens when you reach a cutscene without an internet connection?

You can´t download the live-action episodes, no. You can play offline, but when you reach an episode you just won´t be able to stream it and then you are given the option to skip it to the next Act of the game.

NeoRaider

Cutscenes are in 4K resolution and HQ right? I understand the decision for cutscenes to be streamable only. I think that game fils only without them are around 50GB right? I can only imagine how much would it be with 4K cutscenes downloaded.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cutscenes are in 4K resolution and HQ right? I understand the decision to stream them. i think that game fils only without them are around 50GB right? I can only imagine how much would it be with 4K cutscenes downloaded.

Yeah, they're 4k. The game alone requires ~68GB on the PC; downloading offline versions of the cutscenes would push that up a further 75GB.

tioslash

Cutscenes are in 4K resolution and HQ right? I understand the decision for cutscenes to be streamable only. I think that game fils only without them are around 50GB right? I can only imagine how much would it be with 4K cutscenes downloaded.

What I don´t understand is why didn´t they put an option to manually change the stream quality or at least allow some buffering. It does try to auto adjust based on the available bandwidth, but from my experience it does a terrible job.

Parsnip

Wait, what?
I thought QB is a dx12 only game and that dx12 is win10 exclusive.
Did they implement a dx11 render path for steam?

Considering how long it has been in dev, seems more likely that it was originally DX11, and DX12 was shoehorned in.

Which is why I'm extremely curious about all kinds of performance stuff between DX11 and DX12 version.

You can´t download the live-action episodes, no. You can play offline, but when you reach an episode you just won´t be able to stream it and then you are given the option to skip it to the next Act of the game.

Well that's absolutely retarded.

A game shipping without the cutscenes... just... what...

It does not act as a cutscene. You are free to choose if you want to watch the TV episodes or not.

You're just being pedantic now lad.

The live action scenes are integral to the experience, and not having them included with the game locally is ridiculous.

horkrux

You're just being pedantic now lad.

The live action scenes are integral to the experience, and not having them included with the game locally is ridiculous.

Don't you think the game is gonna have enough discs as it is? They could have given us the option to download the episodes, though, that's for sure.

Awesome news. I don't even have strong feelings about this game, but I'm just happy about the philosophical decision for MS to cave and release on another platform. The Windows Store combined with UWP is not a good representation of PC gaming. This went from a "know I'll never purchase" to a "potential steam sale purchase" at least.

Echoes my thoughts exactly. There's basically a snowball's chance in hell I'd ever consider buying a game in the Win10 store. Throw it on Steam = very good chance I'll pick it up during the next winter sale.

Top Bottom