• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

"Hmm... this door is beyond my capabilities to open. But there must be a way and I think one of our friends here may know. Anyone think they can get our friend the orc here to talk?"

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
"Of course we'll take you back... are you hurt?" Bones asks the woman still holding on to him.

After she responds, Bones follows up with a few questions in an amiable demeanor, "Any idea why you were taken? Or to whom Davos was speaking with earlier?"

No, I'm not hurt, thank you," she says, pulling back from the embrace. Her eyes are puffy, and she wipes them off. "I don't know for sure, but I overheard them talking about a ransom. I think they wanted money from my father, because they know he's rich now, especially since the gold mine was discovered."

The orc, Ugrok, speaks up in Common after being being addressed by Quintus. "You're wasting your time." His voice is deep and guttural, and his speech is accented, but his grammar is surprisingly good for an orc. "You will never open that door. None of us can. Only the Shrouded One."

"The Shrouded One," repeats Clementine, "I think that's the one Davos was talking to. I could barely look at him, but even if I could have, I wouldn't have wanted to. He made me feel... uneasy. And no, I don't know who he is." She lets out an exaggerated sigh. "Please, can we leave now? I want nothing more than to reunite with my father and retire for the night in my own bed."

Sarm's efforts to stem the bleeding of the kidnappers were successful, and they are sleeping peacefully on the cots along the wall, their wounds bandaged and on the mend. Daisy also responded well to Sarm's magical healing, and seems to be in excellent health now.

((Ivor, my rule for potions is the same as for Cure spells. Outside of combat, they heal the maximum possible amount of HP. Something to remember.))

Mike M

Nick N
((So if Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand are combined into Thievery, what becomes the governing ability? I presume DEX since that was two out of three of them?))

((So if Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand are combined into Thievery, what becomes the governing ability? I presume DEX since that was two out of three of them?))

((That was an oversight on my part. When I decided on that, I didn't realize they used different abilities. When disabling things, use Intelligence; for other uses, use Dex. I realize it's a little sloppy, and there's not a great way to represent that on an online character sheet, but you'll still be benefiting from the combining of the skills so I don't feel too bad about it.

Also, for the rest of you who may be wondering, Mike M is going to join the group soon, once there's a story opening for him to enter (ie, soon after you get back to town). Shouldn't be too much longer.))

"Shrouded One..." He repeats as well, and then speaks to the Orc, "I don't agree it is a waste of time if I ask what he does behind the sealed door."

Ugrok snorts, and the sound is reminiscent of a warthog. "It is not for my eyes, nor yours. And you, sun-worshipper," he looks directly at Sarm, "Know this. Your false god's impotent light shall never illuminate the machinations of the Lord of Secrets. Once my Master is made whole again, he shall---"

The orc's sentence is abruptly cut off, and his eyes widen. Quintus can see a magical aura light up around the creature, as though some kind of spell trigger had been satisfied, and soon everyone can see negative energy making its way out of the orc from the inside, eventually burning out his eyeballs and spilling from his mouth and nostrils. When the spell is complete, only a burnt-out husk remains.

It's relatively simple for Quintus to deduce that the Orc had had a spell placed on him by a powerful arcane caster, set to kill him if he revealed too much information.

Clementine looks visibly upset, but is attempting to remain composed. "Please, good sirs, I would very much like to leave now..."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"I would not object to leaving this place quickly. We can decide on our next move back home, after some well deserved rest. Also, we should see if we can extract any more from our captives without...that...happening to them."

Quintus stands shocked for a moment then says, "Yes... I think we've done enough here, let us be on our way." and heads towards the exit, picking up the short bow on the way since no one else appears to want it.

The party sets to work, carefully loading up Sarm's cart with the prisoners, after making sure they're all tightly secured. It's a very tight fit, and during the process, all three are roused to some level of dim consciousness, but they're still in no condition to do any more than groan and move their heads.

The trip home is an uneventful one, and it takes about two and a half hours to get back to town. By that time, it's completely dark, and nearly 10pm. You notice that the bodies that had been lying outside of the city gates have been cleared out, and the city guard welcomes you heartily, voicing praise and handing out pats on the back as you're cleared to the come through.

The town is quiet, as most of the citizenry have retired for the night, but the city watch posted outside of the Mayor's house sees you coming, and within seconds, the mayor comes outside to meet you.

Mayor Gerard is a middle-aged man of fifty years, or nearabouts. He has a bushy mustache of salt-and-pepper hair, somewhat pale skin, and he is just mildly overweight. "Daddy!" Clementine exclaims, running into his arms; he receives her gladly.

"Oh, Clem, my sweet girl! I'm so glad you're back! Are you hurt?"

"No I'm not, thanks to these brave men." She gestures back to the group, and the mayor looks to them.

"You have done well," he says gratefully. "Both as a father, and as the mayor of this town, I thank you." He looks at the squirming bodies in your wagon. "You won't have to trouble yourselves with caring for the prisoners; my men will take care of them. As for your reward..." He makes a hand motion, and one of the mayor's aides hands him four sacks, which he in turn redistributes to each party member.

"Here is your reward for rescuing my daughter. On top of that, I've arranged with the barkeep at the Golden Griffin for you all to have an evening of merriment, compliments of the Mayor. You'll get unlimited food, drink, and women if you so desire, as well as a private room for each of you, at no cost to you. I know you've had a long day, and would probably like to rest now, so I would suggest taking advantage of this tomorrow evening, when you can properly enjoy it." After exchanging a few more pleasantries (or if you wish to converse with him, you can and we'll back up, but for now I'll finish up the rest of the night), Clementine and the Mayor return to their house, and the city guard take the prisoners into custody, to the jail at the local constabulary.

Inside each of the sacks is 1000 gold.

As you return to your barracks in the Ranging Company HQ, Klaus is there to greet you, and congratulate you on a job well done. He pays each of you another 1000 gold, as compensation for going on the original job to investigate the kobolds. Each of you presumably sleep through the night in your own beds.

You all level up, and should now be at Level 4.

The next morning arrives. Describe how you spend your day. The town has a Magic Item Shop, an armory, a small nondenominational church, a museum, a school for small children, and plenty of small businesses and various other services which may be taken advantage of. Once everyone's day is complete, everyone will meet at the Golden Griffin.

((I know I moved pretty fast there and may have skipped over some things you might not have wanted to skip over, but if so then we can still cover them; just let me know. It will also be helpful if you can PM me your updated character sheets after you gain your level, but it's not a pressing concern at this point, so there's no rush.

Also, since the first adventure of the campaign is over, I would appreciate feedback on how you guys feel about the game so far. If you have any input, good or bad, on how the game is being run, or anything really, please let me know. Thanks!))

((Well if no one wants the items(Longsword+1, Cloak of Resistance +1, MW Composite short bow), gonna go ahead and say they are sold and the split up between the party members. not sure how much they are worth yet, but random guess says over 2k gold before splitting it up(magic weapons are expensive...)))

Quintus attempts to talk to Klaus, alone, the first chance he gets, "Sir. I believe the mayor's daughter is not telling us something and that she may in someway be involved with the group that attacked and supposedly kidnapped her. Sadly I have no evidence to back this up other then what I've heard with my own ears, so I'm not suggesting we go out and apprehend her or anything like that, but perhaps keep watch on her? I imagine the Mayor wouldn't mind some extra security right now... See if anyone suspicious who might be connected with this cult that attacked might try and contact, or kidnap, her again."

Klaus is alone in his quarters when Quintus approaches him. He listens to what the young wizard has to say, then leans back from the paperwork on his desk.

"I was afraid of something like this," he sighs. "I knew something was off about that attack. It just didn't make sense. Still doesn't, actually." Klaus takes a swig from a leather canteen. "Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about it. I don't have much pull inside city walls, and of course the mayor's not gonna want to hear this. I might try bringing it up to some friends I have in the City Watch, but I'm afraid until she actually does something, there's nothing we can do."

He reaches for the papers on his desk, and then stops and looks back up at Quintus. "Oh! I just remembered. A letter arrived for you yesterday from the Emerald Bay Academy - I'm guessing your alma mater? Looks like an advertisement for that annual tournament. Not sure why they're sending ads to people who'd already know about it, but I also didn't look too close once I realized it was addressed to you."

Klaus produces a sheet of parchment and hands it over. The school's sigil is colorlessly indented into the center - a large, two handed battle axe and a long, ornate wizard's staff forming an X. An artist's rendition of a large, muscular fighter charging at a wizard clad in robes is drawn colorfully onto the parchment. It says, in fairly impressive calligraphy,

"You are cordially invited, Quintus of Emerald Bay, to participate in the 203rd annual Caragon the Conqueror Memorial Tournament of Champions. This year, over one million gold in prizes will be awarded! You are eligible for participation in the Junior Alumni Division (less than 5 years out of the Academy) and the Open Admission Division, where ANYONE can enter! RSVPs will be accepted up to and including the day of the tournament. Invite friends and family alike, and share in this day of celebration with them!"

The date of the tournament is two months away. Emerald Bay Academy is about a week's journey to the west,, on the far coast of the continent.

Klaus seems to have gotten lost in his paperwork and has stopped paying attention to you.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((So I've updated my character sheet but would like to ask for some advice on spending this reward money. I imagine that Ivor has replenished his supply of bolts and replaced his used Healer's Kit but where can I find out how much this costs? Upgrading the crossbows and daggers is also something I'm interested in and writing up the commissioning of magical blades could be fun but I've no idea how much I'd be spending - I already used some money on the cloak of resistance. In the meantime, you can find Ivor brewing some useful potions in his shared space at the craftsmen's store before he goes on his shopping trip.))

With the horses secured and arrangements made to safeguard the wagon, the cleric accepts his payments. He takes a moment to inform Kalus, "The hideout we have visited holds a place of darkness. Be wary of further happenings."

With that, he wordlessly disappears from into night, secluding himself into the room he was given. He would offer his prayers to Pelor, meditate, and finally bring himself to sleep.

Early in the morning, the Cleric would seek to find Klaus, and ask him where the injured men are, "I had said that I wanted to tend to them whenever I returned. I still wish to help in anyway I can." If allowed, he would use his nursing skills and cast the healing spells he had prepared from last night.

After spending the morning tending to guards, he would take a stroll into town to familiarize himself with the area some more and to relax himself. While passing by it, he glances towards the school during the children's play time. He comes to a realization of how similar children of this land run and prance to the ones of his home. He visits the church, knowing that it is good and filled with friends of Pelor. He takes the time to share pleasantries and to take another couple of hours to pray, thus recharging his spells again. He decides to save his gold, and wait until he can purchase even better items than what he can obtain now.

Once he is done, he returns to the wagon he left at the barracks to tend to his horses. Only late in the evening (most likely when celebrations already start) does he make it to the Golden Griffin, clearly having many better things to do than to be at a tavern.

((I'll update my character sheet and PM it later.))

Quintus looks a bit worried when he first hears the name of his old Academy, but is relieved to hear it is just an advertisement and then gets a large grin on his face when he hears how much gold will be rewarded. He takes the letter and exits the quarters damn near ready to burst into dance. He doesn't though. No points in the perform dance skill.

((I thinking Quintus just sells the magic items(and the mw bow) and splits the cash among the group, everyone gets 470 gp 6 sp and 2 cp... there is also an extra 2 cp left over, i'll just hold onto that since no one probably cares about 2 cp anyways))

((Ivor, the costs of refilling your crossbow bolts and replacing your healer's kit are negligible to the point where you don't have to worry about bookkeeping it. If you ever want to get enchanted bolts then that's a different story, but that's down the line.

Roll me a Craft Alchemy check and tell me what kind of potion(s) you're trying to make. If you're reasonably successful, you'll get the potions (but will have to pay some amount for the components, which will depend on what you're trying to make, but will be between a quarter and a half of the book price of the potion you're going for).

We'll deal with the magic item question in game, but for reference, if you have access to it you might want to check out the Magic Item Compendium or the Dungeon Master's Guide. If you don't have access to those, I would recommend looking for a guide to playing Rogues through Google and seeing what they recommend.))

After spending some time unwinding through his favorite hobby (brewing potions), Ivor decides he'd like to find a good way to spend some of his hard-earned riches. Being relatively new to the adventuring life, he is unsure of what to buy, so he goes to the magic supply shop for some suggestions.

The shopkeeper explains patiently that for 2,000 gold, he'd be able to add a +1 magical enhancement to one of your weapons, either dagger or crossbow ((this is book price, by the way. For prices of further enhancement, google "dnd dagger", "dnd crossbow", or whatever weapon you're looking for)). If you'd rather not spend all your money right now, he recommends saving up to buy something else, because for an up-and-coming, discriminating adventurer such as yourself, the merchandise he has available for the amount of money you have would not be worthwhile.

As Ivor stands talking with the shopkeeper, an angry voice surprises him from behind. "How dare you show your face in this town, dwarf?"

It's Rubio, the brother of your friend Pahn, who was killed in the mining accident.

Some background information for Ivor to read through:
The gold-mining operation is a very large-scale affair, and when it first started, you were contracted to be in charge of producing lantern oil for the entire operation (which was a full time job). Due to the demands of the job, and to make things easier on yourself, your operation was actually based inside the mines themselves.

Things were going alright, and you had actually made quite a few friends during your time in the mines, including Pahn, an upbeat half-gnome who gravitated toward you because the two of you were of a similar size. Then, one day, you were distracted and weren't quite paying enough attention while brewing a fresh batch of lantern oil. ((if there was a specific reason for that distraction, feel free to come up with it on your own. Or, maybe you believe it was sabotage (as you hinted at earlier, now that I've reviewed the thread). We'll work with it either way))

The batch was far more volatile than it was supposed to be, and as a result, during transit one of the barrels exploded, causing a cave-in and trapping almost a dozen men in a cavern. Most of those trapped survived, but none who were caught in the explosion came out alive. One of those unfortunate souls was Pahn.

You were immediately fired from your position in the mines, and an investigation was launched, which ultimately cleared you of any wrongdoing... much to Rubio's dismay. Ever since, every time he sees you in town he harasses you as much as he legally can.

Sarm:

Klaus directs you to the constabulary, which is fairly easy to find. The holding cells are in the basement, and Davos, Leeta, and Kempok are all in one of the cells. They all look to be in reasonable health; it's pretty obvious that they've been treated with either Healing Potions or Cure spells since last night. Leeta and Kempok remain silent, but Davos feels the need to say something.

"Oh look here, the cleric of the sun god's here to rub it in. Or maybe you're here to preach to us, is that it? Show us the light of Pelor, huh?" His tone is biting and sarcastic. "Well we'll have none of it, I'll tell you that much. Might as well turn around and go about your business, 'cause we're not interested."

Sense Motive DC 13
Davos seems sincere, and Kempok is stone-faced, but Leeta, the human girl, looks somewhat troubled, and the expression on her face is an anguished one

((You're free to stay and continue talking to them, or leave; your call))

The local church is perhaps the size of a classroom, and is empty, save for the head priest, who identifies himself as Boris. He greets you warmly, and explains that he is honored to have a child of Pelor as a guest in his church. He leaves you to your prayers.

As you pray, a sudden rush of joy overwhelms you as you realize that, for the first time since arriving here in this strange place, your god is speaking to you. The message isn't entirely clear, and is somewhat muffled, but you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's him.

Though the words are hard to distinguish, the message seems to be that you are on the right path, and that it's your duty to stay with your companions and help them in their travels. You get the sense that you are all about to embark on a grand quest.

He also warns you that some very bad things are going to happen along the way - maybe sooner than you think - , and some of them you will be unable to prevent, no matter how hard you try. He advises you not to dwell too much on things you can't change, and focus on changing what you can.

You come out of your prayer session feeling more rejuvenated and whole than you have in weeks, despite the somewhat gloomy warning of what lies ahead.

Sarm doesn't respond to Davos, asking Klaus, "And the men defending the town? They are the ones I wish to help. And if at all possible, I wish not to speak with them further..." his memory recalls what had happened to the orc, "for their own good." Though he would easily understand the girl's terror, his concern for the men that deserve better has his attention in full.

---

At the church, Sarm smiles and greets the priest, happy to be welcomed and thankful to see that Pelor's light does shine in one spot in the town.

He lifts his head up as he feels the joy pour over him, as if he was rising himself from water while cleansing himself. He speaks in response to Pelor's warning, saying, "I will be strong, no matter what. Any failures will not be the end for me."

Klaus leads Sarm to the local medic. It's fairly obvious that this place is ill equipped to deal with this many patients; there are only six beds in the entire facility, and ten guards are still in need of medical care.

The doctor recognizes your talents immediately, and when you voice your desire to help, he puts you to work on some of the most injured soldiers. As you interact with the staff and the soldiers, you get the idea that you could be the most effective cleric in the entire city, and your abilities are put to good use during the next few hours.

In the course of your work, you are approached by a member of the guard who is not one of the patients. "Sarm, is it?" says the man. He is a lanky elf, with messy brown hair and a cheerful disposition. He looks like he's in his late twenties, but since you know that elves have a different rate of aging than humans, it's hard to tell. "I heard you and your friends managed to rescue the mayor's daughter from the Cult. I mean... you know, the kidnappers. And now you're here, on your day off, helping my friends. I just wanted you to know that I admire your talents. I know you're busy here, so I'll leave you be, but I'd be honored if I could share a drink and break bread with you and your companions tonight, at the party the mayor's throwing for you at the Golden Griffin."

You don't need to roll a Sense Motive to realize that this man has an agenda, but it doesn't seem to be nefarious, and he's not really hiding anything; he just wants to wait for a better time to elaborate. You get the feeling that whatever he wants, he's going to tell you about it the next time you meet.

jon bones

Bones spends his day lazily exploring the town, Daisy in tow.

He runs into Quintus en route to the local store to sell off the recently acquired loot. "Quintus, I hadn't noticed that short bow before - mind if I use it instead of selling it?"

Bones then takes Daisy to the market to find a large goat leg for the two to share. "You've certainly earned it, little one."

The elf finds himself a local shop keep to refill his arrows & buy a pair of Gloves of Dexterity +2 with his remaining gold. He spends the rest of the day resting outside, using his large beast as a pillow. As he falls in and out of sleep, he remembers the mayor's promise of drink and women at the celebration - and smiles.

((If someone could point me to the right link on d20srd where I can learn how to level my guy up, I'd appreciate it. Alternatively, I'll just recreate my character with http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm and use level 4 if that works. My base stats shouldn't increase, right?))

((Steps to leveling up your ranger:
-Increase your Base Attack Bonus by 1
- Distribute 7 skill points among your skill ranks, without going above 7 ranks in any one skill
-Check the chart for advancing the Druid's animal companion and adjust his stats accordingly
-Roll a d8 and add the result, plus your Constitution modifier, to your total Hit Points
-Since you just hit Level 4, pick an Ability Sclre and add 1 to it permanently ))

Bones, as you lay basking in the midday sun, one of Klaus's assistants interrupts your meditative state.

"Scuse me, Mister Bones. A letter came in for you, and Boss told me to come find you and pass it on."

You know what the letter is before opening it, by the royal insignia on the envelope, and suddenly your day just got a bit gloomier. You send the boy away and open it up.

It's from your father, General Eladamri Bonaparte, Supreme Commander of the King's Armies. You don't read it very carefully because it's basically the same letter he's always sent you.

The details may have changed - you notice something about a sharp increase in organized criminal activity all over the continent -, but the message is basically the same. He wants you to abandon your carefree, freelance life, grow up, and settle down. He feels that you're wasting your talents in "that backwoods shantytown", and he implores you to come to Ruby Keep and take up the position in the King's Armies that he's kept open for you, because he "can't hold it forever."

You contemplate whether you feel like replying for a minute, and then try to think about the night's coming festivities.

Bones spends his day lazily exploring the town, Daisy in tow.

He runs into Quintus en route to the local store to sell off the recently acquired loot. "Quintus, I hadn't noticed that short bow before - mind if I use it instead of selling it?"

Bones then takes Daisy to the market to find a large goat leg for the two to share. "You've certainly earned it, little one."

The elf finds himself a local shop keep to refill his arrows & buy a pair of Gloves of Dexterity +2 with his remaining gold. He spends the rest of the day resting outside, using his large beast as a pillow. As he falls in and out of sleep, he remembers the mayor's promise of drink and women at the celebration - and smiles.

((If someone could point me to the right link on d20srd where I can learn how to level my guy up, I'd appreciate it. Alternatively, I'll just recreate my character with http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm and use level 4 if that works. My base stats shouldn't increase, right?))

Quintus hands the Shortbow over, "Use it well my god man."

((anyone who actually added the good from the sold stuff, just subtract 56 gp 2sp and 5 cp from your total. if you didn't added it yet, whenever you do just add 414 gp 3 sp and 7 cp. Also just realized i forgot my human bonus to skill points and I don't think i rolled my hp... which i just got a 1 on. so my character sheet shall be updated once again.))

Quintus decides to pick up a scroll of Sleep while he's here, to copy into his spell book later. But before that, he decides to partake in the Mayor's generous offer at the Golden Griffin.

jon bones

((Thanks for the help, guys. What are people using to manage their characters? Some program? Excel?"))

((Leveled up Sarm to Cleric Level 4. Let me know if I forgot anything when leveling up.))

When approached by a voice saying his name, he is still turned away when saying "Yes." And soon stands up from kneeling at a patient and glances to view who is speaking to him. "It is Pelor that should take credit for the injuries healed today. I am simply here to direct his light." Sarm does not entertain the thought of becoming "the best" Cleric, knowing that they are all needed in some way, "I will be meeting the others there later, you will be able to give thanks to them for the rescue."

Ivor is taken aback by the unexpected arrival of Rubio, and stands there, tongue-tied, for a few agonizing seconds before Rubio sneers at him disdainfully.

"Got nothing to say, eh? It's just as well. I'm taking my business elsewhere; I don't patronize establishments that cater to murderers." He makes a big show of that entire sentence, making his feelings clear to the shopkeeper, and dramatically exits the building.

The shopkeeper is unimpressed by Rubio's antics. "What a roving jackass," he mutters to himself, and concludes business with Ivor. ((Ivor, feel free to buy or not buy supplies and/or upgrade a weapon, and you can still make the Alchemy roll when you get back, but I'll go ahead and move the plot forward from here))

The Golden Griffin

The four heroes are received with a warm welcome by the staff and patrons alike of the Golden Griffin. Sarm believes he's arriving late by coming at nearly 10pm, but to his surprise, he's not that far behind the rest, as the party is just getting started as he enters.

The atmosphere is lively, and a band of bards is on stage playing boisterous live music, while small crowds form around various scantily-clad female dancers who are well trained in their craft.

Quintus notices that there are sound-dampening wards strategically placed around the bar to make it easy to have a conversation with the person next to you, even with the loud music and louder crowd, and is impressed by this clever use of magic.

The Golden Griffin is a large, wide-open establishment. There is a bar on each of the first two levels, and well-maintained tables and chairs arranged throughout. The food quality is rather high, especially for a bar, and the mayor was true to his word; the serving wenches keep it coming, along with your choice of all the drink you can stomach from the bar's formidable selection.

The Griffin also employs several ladies of the night, and the selection is surprisingly diverse, including several humans of various skin tones, an elf, two half-elves, and even a supremely exotic tiefling girl. The elf and half-elves seem to be gravitating toward Bones, hoping to catch his eye, and the rest have been keeping a close watch on Quintus, Ivor, and Sarm; should any of them show the slightest interest, the ladies would be quick to seize the opportunity.

At some point during the course of the evening, the four of you happen to be sitting alone at the same table. When this occurs, two men approach. One is a lanky elf with wispy, brown hair, who Sarm recognizes as Elric, the man who approached him earlier at the infirmary. The other is a human. ((Kaf, describe what you look like.))

"Excuse me, gentlemen, may we have a few moments of your time?" the elf asks amiably, though he does not wait for an answer as the two newcomers pull up chairs and have a seat at the table. "I know this is your night of celebration, but we have some rather important business to discuss with you. You see... we need your help.

"The men who kidnapped Clementine - the ones currently sitting in a holding cell under the constabulary - are a small part of a much larger criminal organization who call themselves the "Arm of Vecna". Although the group has been around for a while, in recent months they have exponentially increased their activity, and have somehow managed to recruit a great deal of new members.

"You see, the Arm of Vecna has made it their mission to acquire a series of sacred relics which are hidden throughout the countryside. I know this, because I am a part of an organization whose job it is to protect the artifacts in question.

"I have reason to believe that the recent incursion into our town is related to a plot to acquire one of the relics."

Elric opens his mouth as though to continue talking, and then he frowns and sighs. "Unfortunately, because of the oath I took upon joining the Wormwood Initiates, a magical bond makes it impossible for me to divulge any more specific information to those who are not also members.

"However," he continues, "With all that's happened lately, I'm sure you can imagine that my people have taken heavy losses in our opposition to the Arm's activities, and at this time we are sorely lacking in honorable, competent men. Therefore, I implore you to go see my superior and go through the initiation rite, so that you become official members of the Wormwood Initiates, and I can tell you exactly what you need to know, so that we may proceed.

"This is my associate, Kaf Reyneel; he is a trusted friend who is also not yet a member of my organization. I ask that you allow him to accompany you to the Great Library, where my superior is stationed."

Elric looks to each of you, nods, and stands up. "Well, gentlemen, I believe I've taken up enough of your time. I am happy to answer any of your questions about any subject - save for those I am physically unable to discuss, of course -, and once you are satisfied with what I've told you, I'll leave the five of you to think about my offer."

Knowledge Local, DC 12
The Great Library of Ioun is between two and three days' ride to the southeast. The trail is fairly straightforward, though much of it is somewhat isolated from civilization. The library is one of the oldest known structures on the entire continent.

((Lots of exposition there, folks; sorry about that, but it was unavoidable. You are highly encouraged to riff and roleplay off of each other, and off of other characters in the bar. The rest of the evening is up to you all; I'll only jump in when the situation calls for it. When it seems like everyone has wound down and retired to their suites, I'll move us on to the next day))

Quintus gives the tiefling girl a "Not sure if want" look. Also whenever the group gets together he whips out the letter he got,
Quoted so you don't have to scroll up to read it said:
"You are cordially invited, Quintus of Emerald Bay, to participate in the 203rd annual Caragon the Conqueror Memorial Tournament of Champions. This year, over one million gold in prizes will be awarded! You are eligible for participation in the Junior Alumni Division (less than 5 years out of the Academy) and the Open Admission Division, where ANYONE can enter! RSVPs will be accepted up to and including the day of the tournament. Invite friends and family alike, and share in this day of celebration with them!"
"Thought this might interest some of you, if you didn't know of it already. Some good money if you can win. Of course I'll be in the Junior Alumni Division, so you won't have to worry about me embarrassing you in battle, though you might be pitted against one another in the Open Division. We have two months to prepare, if you are interested."
Quintus finishes with that and at some point those two guys show up. After listening to the exposition dump Quintus says "Greetings Kaf. The Great Library of Ioun huh? Guess it makes sense to have an ancient order located in the oldest building in the continent... Wait! How much does this Wurmwood Initiates pay?"

Code:
Knowledge Local: 1D20+11 => [ 17 ] +11 = 28

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeeeeeeeah, finally at bat!  This is my first real attempt at D&D (Was a White Wolf gamer in high school), but I'm totally gonna role play the everliving SHIT out of my totally wicked... Scholar. ))

lRMz7.png

((No, I didn't draw this, but I came across it and it was so dead-on what I had in mind, I had to pilfer it.))

The bespectacled young man who has accompanied Elric to your table  is well outside his comfort zone, and it shows.  His every motion belies palpable anxiety as he continuously scans the tavern interior in what might best be described as acute paranoia.  The stress of being away from the the quiet confines of his cozy office at the museum, surrounded by the mouldering books and artifacts of bygone eras, is compounded by the uncertainty that he may ever return to his life of scholarly contemplation.

He looks as wildly out of place as he feels.  His freshly washed, slicked-back hair and clean shaven face bespeak an existence where he has probably not wanted for a bath for any real length of time, and the voluminous black silk frock he's wearing would be laughably inappropriate attire for any vocation that involved anything but sitting on one's rump and debating esoteric subjects of little consequence with one's equally soft colleagues.  His smart black leather shoes in stark contrast to his white leggings that have clearly never known a stain.  

After Elric's introduction, he awkwardly offers an outstretched hand to no one in particular and says, "Gentlemen, well met.  I am, ah, Kaff Rayneel, but... You, ah, already know that."

Clearly lacking social graces, he coughs into his other hand briefly.

"Apologies, I tend to stammer when I am under stress, and presently I find myself under a, ah, great deal of it."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ivor's Day

Before meeting his friends at The Golden Griffin that evening, Ivor Fireheart knew he had a lot to do. The close encounter at the caves, the kidnapping and the sudden involvement of a dark cult was something he had certainly not prepared for. He had bodyguarded miners and produced their oils, certainly, but the dwarf has already had enough of treachery and conspiracy for one person. At the break of dawn he left his home in the city and went to work at his space at the craftsmen's gallery - only stopping to make a quick inspection of a smashed flowerpot and broken decoration that once hung at his walls. The ones who attacked Alydar's gates likely never got this far but Ivor could not shake the thoughts of conspiracy. Had somebody been here?

Arriving at the bustling halls of the gallery, Ivor got to work producing an array of healing and antitoxin potions for the days ahead. With the gallery used by crafters of all disciplines, he set himself up in between a pair of fellows and got to work. Also open to the public, the space allowed Ivor to show off a little to visitors wandering the stores. With a flourish or two and a little demonstration for a gaggle of excited children, he attempts to produce:

6x Potion of Light Healing, 2x Antitoxin

Code:
Craft Alchemy: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  18 + 9 = 27

After the events at the gallery Ivor moved on to better preparing himself.

After spending some time unwinding through his favorite hobby (brewing potions), Ivor decides he'd like to find a good way to spend some of his hard-earned riches. Being relatively new to the adventuring life, he is unsure of what to buy, so he goes to the magic supply shop for some suggestions.

The shopkeeper explains patiently that for 2,000 gold, he'd be able to add a +1 magical enhancement to one of your weapons, either dagger or crossbow ((this is book price, by the way. For prices of further enhancement, google "dnd dagger", "dnd crossbow", or whatever weapon you're looking for)). If you'd rather not spend all your money right now, he recommends saving up to buy something else, because for an up-and-coming, discriminating adventurer such as yourself, the merchandise he has available for the amount of money you have would not be worthwhile.

As Ivor stands talking with the shopkeeper, an angry voice surprises him from behind. "How dare you show your face in this town, dwarf?"

It's Rubio, the brother of your friend Pahn, who was killed in the mining accident.

With his back turned to Rubio, Ivor decided to stay silent. What else could he say after protesting his innocence every time he was confronted?

Ivor is taken aback by the unexpected arrival of Rubio, and stands there, tongue-tied, for a few agonizing seconds before Rubio sneers at him disdainfully.

"Got nothing to say, eh? It's just as well. I'm taking my business elsewhere; I don't patronize establishments that cater to murderers." He makes a big show of that entire sentence, making his feelings clear to the shopkeeper, and dramatically exits the building.

The shopkeeper is unimpressed by Rubio's antics. "What a roving jackass," he mutters to himself, and concludes business with Ivor.

"Murderer." He had heard it a hundred times but now he was reminded of the kobold he shot the previous day who was only gathering food for his kin. Worse, it was Bones who had personally paid what he could to the family there. This combined with his memories of the accident threatened to break him down. Ivor faltered, turning to Rubio as he left, suddenly tongue-tied instead of stoic. Nodding to the shopkeeper, the dwarf left without buying anything. He really needed some beer.

((tbc))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Like any red-blooded dwarf, Ivor's spirits are quickly lifted by his time at the Griffin. Thinking he had arrived first to the party, he opened the doors and walked in to the warm reception. Received well by the staff and patrons the dwarf could not resist smiling as he got started with the revelry! With the rest of his friends arriving one by one, Ivor took the time to circle the premises and greet the locals, many of which he meets on a daily basis. As well as relaying to the guests his adventure and his encounter with Rubio he makes pleasant small talk with everyone, including the staff and the evening's lady entertainers.

"Tobias, Wilhelm... Angela?" Ivor tries his best to remember the names of everyone present in grand retellings of the last few days. Hopefully he doesn't embarass himself! "An ale to you, and you... And you there! I know what you like. Spirits, yes?"

Code:
Knowledge Local: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  18 + 9 = 27 ((pro-tier mingling))

Alas, Ivor's plan to discuss yesterday's events with Bones and perhaps reimburse him does not happen amidst the drinking. The Griffin is far too busy and he will have to wait, even as the party assembles. Ivor happily chats away with the party about business and family as the pair of visitors approaches...

Code:
Knowledge Local: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  9 + 9 = 18 ((too many drinks))

"Adventure, huh? The great library... The Great Library of Ioun. That last part is very important. Easy to get to, really. Lots of great libraries around too, really. So you have to know which," He chortles. "But enough of that for now. Welcome, Kaff! Kaff, Kaff... Short for anything in particular?"

Ivor gets up and briskly takes Kaff's hand, shaking it vigorously. "Ivor Fireheart. Alchemist and consultant at your service. So what can you do, eh? You a fighter, huh? Quintus says he'll embarrass folk at that tournament but I bet you're a good 'un. He just talks people to death, literally sometimes! And don't worry about stress. Let me get you a drink. What'll it be?"

The Tiefling girl notices Quintus looking her over, and gazes seductively at him with her pupil-less eyes. Her skin is a deep orange, and she has tight clothing just barely covering the important bits (and indeed, she has a formidable chest, with cleavage not quite ready to burst out of the seams), with a loose, very transparent "dress" draped over; her body is perfectly proportioned and well-toned. She approaches him and delicately sits in his lap, and uses the tip of her tail to lightly tickle his ear as she whispers into it things that are best kept private.

((Ivor, you had a great roll there, so yes, you were able to brew all the potions you listed, and they only cost a quarter of the standard price: 12.5 gold per potion.))

Elric is slow to respond to Quintus's mention of payment. "Well... you see, that's not something I feel qualified to discuss, being a simple undercover field agent and all. It's not even supposed to be my job to recruit, but seeing how undermanned we are, I've sort of been forced into the role. Curzon - that's the name of my superior, mind you; an older human fellow - can tell you more.

"I can tell you this, though: considering the scale of the Arm's operations and your lot's particular skill set, you'll be going on more than your fair share of adventuring, and I hear the adventuring life is rife with profits. I wouldn't know personally, as I'm stuck in this town posing as a bloody town guard, but I'm not bitter." He actually seems a little bitter. "The Wormwood Initiates won't ask for any percentage of your spoils, and operate only off of completely voluntary donations from its members. So this gig is sure to make you rich, so long as you don't get yourselves killed."

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff's arm flails wildly in the enthusiastic dwarf's grip as he attempts to respond to the rapid fire barrage of questions. "No, it's just Kaff. I'm not much of a fighter, I had some martial training in academy, but that was mostly for dress parades with limited real world applications, and I'll have an, ah... ale?"

Kaff attempts to order his thoughts after Ivor disengages his grip.

"I believe that a, ah, mutual exchange of the information we've learned would be highly beneficial. Knowledge shared is knowledge multiplied, and all that.  Elric, I would appreciate it if you could postpone your departure until my curiosity is, ah, satiated.  New avenues of inquiry could arise that may require your expertise."

jon bones

"DRINKS FOR THE NEW KID!", Bones raucously joins in Ivor's enthusiasm for the drink. He takes a brief moment while they wait for drinks to arrive to look at the letter sent from his father. He considers throwing into a dirty glass on the table but instead pauses, and folds the letter back into his pocket.

He turns to Kaff and begins barraging him with overly personal questions - beginning with "Ever lay with an elf?!" Before waiting for a reply, he waves over the elf and two half-elven women in the bar. "You'll love it, we're great - but the two halfies are mine!"

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff is rapidly degenerating into a stammering puddle of angst. "Have I ev-- Good sir, the Reyneel line does not 'lay' wi-- Wait, why do you get two? Oh, ah, my."

His outrage shorts itself out as the she elf drapes herself across his lap. His ears turn red as he starts muttering quietly about how this is all, "highly, highly irregular."

As much of the bar's attention has been frequently pointed at the heroes who are being honored this evening, the crowd begins to form an interest in the spectacle of the awkward, bookish type having an elven wench thrust upon him.

Making things worse (for Kaff, anyway) is the fact that the elf girl is loving the attention and has begun shamelessly gyrating her entire body all over him. The crowd erupts in raucous, good-natured laughter. She whispers in his ear, "Sweetie, the mayor might not be paying for you, but you've already paid for yourself, far as I'm concerned. Oh... you can call me Trixie."

Despite the intense embarrassment Kaff may be feeling, he can't help but admire this young woman's keen business sense; this display is essentially free advertising for her services to half the town.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Despite the laughter at the tavern being in good nature, Ivor can't help but feel his empathy kick in. Bringing the drinks back to the table might be an opportunity to rescue Kaff from this attention.

Ivor climbs up onto a nearby table and screams at the top of his lungs, "NEXT ROUND'S ON ME!"

This successfully diverts the attention of much of the crowd to the dwarf, as people start cheering for Ivor and looking away from Kaff and his rather aggressive... "companion".

This is for Kaff's eyes only
I'm not familiar with your character's personality yet, but I'm assuming he's actually not as stuck-up as he's trying to portray. Considering you have a lot of attention on you, and this might be a somewhat stressful situation because of that, please make me a Bluff check. Put the result in spoilers, and label it "For DM only".

Mike M

Nick N
DM's eyes only
You are correct, he's decidedly more suave than this when not in character. He's appreciating far more than her keen business sense at the moment, and may pay her a visit before the night's done, but regrettably business before pleasure. Bluff check: 8+14=22

Sarm responds to Elric, stating in a very confident and bold tone "I have seen Vecna's mark. His involvement has became known to me very swiftly. I have accepted this mission even before you have presented it to me."

He listens to more of Elric's information on the subject, and then stands, "May I go with you to discuss this matter further?" He feels like he doesn't belong in this place, and would seek a reason to make the best use of coming to the Griffin to begin with.

Finally, he would take a moment to speak to the newcomer in greeting, "It is a pleasure." but then gives a warning, "I fear that you will see much stress with us."

The Tiefling girl notices Quintus looking her over, and gazes seductively at him with her pupil-less eyes. Her skin is a deep orange, and she has tight clothing just barely covering the important bits (and indeed, she has a formidable chest, with cleavage not quite ready to burst out of the seams), with a loose, very transparent "dress" draped over; her body is perfectly proportioned and well-toned. She approaches him and delicately sits in his lap, and uses the tip of her tail to lightly tickle his ear as she whispers into it things that are best kept private.

<insert magic wand joke here(inb4 lol insert)>

Quintus responds to Ivor's quip at him with "I'm still working on that 'literally' part actually..." and also has a good laugh at Kaf's expense.

((I also had a good laugh, if for an entirely different reason...))

Elric blinks at Sarm, then nods sympathetically. "Aye, mate, I know how you feel; I'm not one for the tavern scene myself. 'Fraid you won't be able to join me, though; I'm on duty right now. I work the night shift, and if I don't get back to my post soon, the Captain will have my head. You have any quick questions right now, I can stick around and try to answer 'em, but if not, I need to get moving."

((regardless of whether Sarm has any more questions,)) The celebration continues into the night, and as the hours fly by, gradually people filter out of the bar - some conscious, some not so conscious. The band is still playing, but their enthusiasm has dwindled somewhat over the course of the evening.

The elf girl has made it her mission to bed the flustered Kaff Reyneel, and there is a small contingent of patrons cheering her on, having gone so far as to pitch in and pay for a room for the two to stay in.

The female tiefling has made herself comfortable with Quintus, who doesn't seem to mind the attention, and has taken on a curious fascination with the lady's prehensile tail. She has indicated that although she is enjoying herself down here, she is also ready to head upstairs at any time.

The two half-elves have already taken it upon themselves to lead Bones up to his suite on the top floor of the tavern, where he is presumably having a grand time.

Ivor, being a Dwarf, is able to hold his alcohol far better than the rest of the bar, and has been thoroughly enjoying watching the other patrons get steadily drunker and making fools of themselves. He has noticed more than one lady of the night looking in his direction, but is biding his time on making a selection - if he wants to choose one at all.

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff watches forelornly as Elric departs the tavern. There is something he desperately wished to discuss with him, but disentangling himself from his entrepreneurial admirer proves difficult. She seems to have an inordinate number of limbs to wrap around him, despite his own accounting of them consistently totaling four.

Ever the (attempted) gracious guest, he accepts the flagons of cold ale offered to him. Before long, he is assured that his business with Elric can wait until the morning, and he is inclined to agree.

Not long after that, he is talking animatedly and at length while the she-elf overtly feins interest. He attempts to regale her with what he apparently thinks is a rousing tale of how he grew up the third son of a monied family in Ruby Keep. Of how he struck out for Alymar upon hearing of the gold rush in the hopes that he might ply his trade as an expert on historical artifacts, artwork, and documents and act as an authenticator for items uncovered by the hordes of humanity sifting through the soil. How he arrived to find his services were not as in demand as he had hoped, and how he had ended up securing a position at the museum for much the same work for much less compensation, but he was okay with that because it afforded him time to commit to his very important, very secret research.

The she-elf whispers something in his ear that Kaff finds amenable, for shortly thereafter they are ascending the staircase to a chorus of whoops and hollers as she gently leads him by the hand while he staggers behind her.

Kaff has had only three drinks.

"I understand. I will wait then." He proceeds to sit back down and keep still, only moving to eat the food he has set for himself. His attention is soon taken by Kaff, while his stories don't particularly fascinate or impress him, they occupy his mind and make the time run more swiftly. Eventually the stories end. He says to his companions, "I should turn in as well. There is little for me to enjoy here."

((For those who have more to do at the tavern, you're welcome to play it out as you like. Right now I'm going to cover the next morning for Sarm and Kaff, since they indicated that they had things to do in the morning, and Bones, because his night has already been covered pretty well))

Kaff
You awaken to a sliver of sunlight creeping in through the shutters and hitting you square in the eye. Trixie is already awake, and lying next to you, staring with a sly smile. Memories of last night come flooding back to you, and you meet her smile with your own.

"Good morning, Sunshine," she says pleasantly, and pecks you on the cheek. "So, I suppose you're not going to tell me who you really are, are you?"

As you try to formulate a reply, she continues. "Honey, don't bother. You're a fantastic liar, and I'll admit you had me fooled in the bar, but there's not a man alive who can keep a secret from me in the bedroom."

She sits up and starts gathering her clothes off the floor. "Don't worry; I won't tell anyone. And you don't have to spill the beans if that's not your style. But I will tell you this." By now she's nearly fully dressed, and turns to look at you again. "Whoever it was I laid with last night, he has me hooked. See that he comes back to visit, and I promise it will be well worth his time." She leans over to give you another kiss, whispers "Oh... and my real name is Arianna," and then smoothly makes her exit.

After making yourself presentable, you go downstairs to find a breakfast plate already waiting for you. Once you've had your fill and take care of whatever morning errands are required, you decide to see Elric and discuss whatever business you might have had with him.

To your surprise, as you arrive at the boarding house where he stays, you run into Sarm, the dark-skinned cleric to whom you were introduced last night.

Sarm
After a less-than-productive evening, you decided to sleep in your own familiar bed, rather than stay in the suite that had been reserved for you at the tavern, since you suspected that sleep would be in short supply at such a loud, lewd establishment.

You wake up at a decent hour, and after your morning prayers you actually feel pretty good. Klaus looks surprised to see you here this morning, clearly having expected you to stay at the Griffin, but is nevertheless friendly as he wishes you a good morning. You stop for a quick, simple breakfast, and then set about finding Elric. After asking around among the city watch, you learn that he's been staying at a room in Bertha's Boarding House, and you find it fairly easily. As you approach, you happen to run into Kaff, the scholarly gentleman from last night, who seems to be heading toward the same place.

Bones
You wake up with a moderate hangover. You've definitely had worse, and you can remember most of what happened the previous night.

And oh, what a night it was! You can't remember the last time you've had that much fun. The half elf wenches (who are already gone) were certainly all they're cracked up to be, and....

Panic starts to rush over you as you frantically check your body for marks. You remember now that one of those half-elves - the blond one, you think - had a queer-looking rash down toward her nether regions. In your drunken stupor, you decided that the risk was an acceptable one, but now that you're sober, you are regretting that decision.

((Make me a Fortitude saving throw, in spoilers if you like. If you spoiler it, mark it "For DM only"))

After you get yourself dressed, you go downstairs and have breakfast, courtesy of the Mayor, and then set about finding your friends so you can make travel plans for this library.

((Each of you feel free to use spoilers as appropriate in your replies. You don't have to, but some of you may want to keep certain information hidden from the rest of the party. Just label it "For DM only" if you want to do this.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I'm going to take a night to decide on what Ivor will do here other than "he went home and slept" because that's no fun. In the meantime if you'd like to move on go right ahead. The only thing I think would occur for certain is waking up alone and probably with a nasty hangover.))

((btw, about jon bones, I'll PM you my email address in case something ever happens to my account.))

((I'm going to take a night to decide on what Ivor will do here other than "he went home and slept" because that's no fun. In the meantime if you'd like to move on go right ahead. The only thing I think would occur for certain is waking up alone and probably with a nasty hangover.))

((btw, about jon bones, I'll PM you my email address in case something ever happens to my account.))

((Oh wow he did get banned. Thanks for pointing that out Ivor, I may not have noticed.))

As it turns out, one of the half elf bar wenches that Bones laid with transmitted a nasty infection to him, and the local doctor prescribes him bed rest, so ((unless it's a very short ban)) he won't be joining the rest of you to the library.

Top Bottom