• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

((Holy shit!  Pleeeeeease tell me that the automatic hit supersedes her mist shit, I might just cry if I miss, that's some maximum damage output right there...  Also, did I do the damage right?  It's two dice + my modifier, not 1 die + modifier twice, right?  Not that I would complain about another 6 points of damage...))

((Even crits are subject to the miss chance of Concealment... however, fortunately I rolled an 81, so you hit anyway :)

Everything (except for Sneak Attacks) is doubled on a critical hit, both the number of dice and the modifier, so you actually hit for 24 damage. That will take her out, FYI. Narrative retelling incoming after everyone else goes, but nice rolls!))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Thanks mate. I honestly thought only one weapon could sneak attack in a round.))

Oblivious to the chaos happening all around him, Ivor finds himself in the middle of an incredible adrenaline rush. Knowing that he must take down the dire bat before the barbarian awakens angrier than ever, he decides he must move away from her as soon as the beast is slain. There, he could better position himself or utilise his crossbows to hopefully end the fight with a pair of deadly bolts.

Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  11 + 4 = 15

Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  10 8
Attack 1: 10 + 7 - 2 = 15 to-hit
Attack 2: 8 +7 - 2 = 13 to-hit

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  4 2
Rolling a 6-sided dice, 4 time(s):  2 1 5 4
Attack 1: 4 + 2 + 1 = 7 dmg sneak attack
Attack 2: 2 + 5 + 4 = 11 dmg sneak attack

"Now the shoe is on the other foot," the dwarf yells in his combat rush.

Seeing as how most of his foes are out of the way, and the bat is still dazed, he takes an opportunity to cast Produce Flame, causing a ball of fire to poof in the palm of his hand.

((I don't think I can throw it as a ranged weapon this round, but I think it's still a viable option))

((I'll take this opportunity to clear up a few rules things that might be causing some confusion.

A lot of the time, when you hit with a Sneak Attack, it will be because the opponent didn't know you were there, and is therefore denied their Dexterity bonus. If that's the case, then only the first attack will get the Sneak Attack bonus (and only if it hits), because after that, the opponent knows you're there. I also allowed this to apply during the initial round because of the special circumstance where the axe-lady botched her attack with a Natural 1.

However, if you get into a position where the opponent is denied their Dex for a different reason (like if you're flanking them, or if they're Stunned or Blind), then you keep getting the Sneak Attack for each time you hit.

And this is for everyone: You only roll initiative during the first round of combat, and that roll stays with you for the entire combat. I keep seeing you guys randomly rolling additional Init rolls in subsequent rounds, which aren't needed.

That concludes today's mini-rules tutorial. Now back to your regular programming. Have fun!))

Quintus takes a quick look at his two 'fans' and says to himself, "Damn I'm good." then loads his crossbow and fires at the axe wielding lady.

Code:
Crossbow Attack: 1D20+5 => [ 18 ] +5 = 23
Damage: 1D8 => [ 5 ] = 5
((I think I might be firing into combat, but even with the -4 I'm pretty sure that is a hit.))

This round does not go very well for the party's assailants, as things are quickly unraveling for them.

Elmina, having found herself hopelessly devoted to Quintus, heeds his words and charges toward Lysa. "You can't do this! Please, sister-in-arms, still yourself!" She latches herself onto the tiefling, who is unable to avoid her.

"Elmina, what in the gods' name are you doing?!" Lysa protests loudly. Unable to perform the necessary motions for casting magic spells, she has no choice but to attempt to push her friend off of her, and is not doing a good job of it.

With the barbarian incapacitated and the bat not long for this world, the druid decides she needs to do something, and do it fast. She uses up the last of her Wild Shapes to transform into a hulking brown bear, and attempts to put a stranglehold on the duelist currently threatening her in melee range.

Unfortunately for her, Kaff is too nimble, and easily slips through her clumsy paws, simultaneously thrusting his rapier upward into the bottom of her head and delivering an unexpectedly fatal blow; her body reverts to its human form before slumping limply to the ground. The soupy fog that had been surrounding them both instantly dissipates into the night sky, and suddenly everything looks clear again.

Sarm, seeing that things are becoming much more manageable than they were during the initial ambush, takes a moment to test out a spell he's been wanting to try, creating a flame in the palm of his hand which he will be ready to strike with at a moment's notice.

Ivor hasn't much trouble dispatching the bat as it flails about impotently on the ground, and as his daggers sink into its flesh, it disappears, presumably to the plane from whence it was summoned. Meanwhile, Quintus, in an impressive show of discipline, gets in a free potshot at the very helpless barbarian woman(commendable, considering that he could easily be watching the cat-fight that's rapidly developing elsewhere on the battlefield).

He (along with everyone else) also notes that the vines which had been impeding everyone's movement are now receding back into the ground with judicious speed, clearing the path for normal movement. You are all now able to reach any point on the battlefield with a single move action.

((Begin Round 4:

Barbarian Woman uses a full-round action to successfully break the Hold Person spell, and will be ready to fight again in the next round.

Elmina successfully attempts to pin Lysa to the ground, forcing them both down to prone position.

Lysa attempts to break the pin, and is not successful.

You guys are up!))

Quintus makes another concentration check to not stare at the two ladies wrestling, but does say something to them, "Keep up the good work honey!" Instead, he keeps his focus on the barbarian, hoping to put her down before she can make a mess with that axe. He fires another shot.

Code:
Attack: 1D20+5 => [ 18 ] +5 = 23
Damage: 1D8 => [ 7 ] = 7

((Ohhh... getting some nice rolls today.))

Mike M

Nick N
"Magic user is felled!" Kaff shouts as he withdraws his blade from the bear and sidesteps the unlucky druid's corpse that falls to the ground in it's place.  His proclamation is superfluous though, as her handiwork fades from existence as her life ebbs out of her.

Surveying the scene, he finds himself wracked with indecision.  The barbarian woman is mobile again, but is apparently having to contend with Quintus and Ivor both.  He estimates that the duplicitous tiefling with her magical abilities would be the most dangerous under normal circumstances, but she's currently occupied by her charmed elven compatriot.   The elf, he'd love nothing more than return the favor for skewering him with a crossbow bolt, but at the moment she's proving useful and they need someone alive and talkative when this is over.

Unsure of the magnitude of the spell with which Quintus has entranced her, Kaff gambles on seeing if it is powerful enough to outweigh a direct threat to her friend and hopes that he can count on his companions backing his gambit.

"Elmina!" he calls as he hurriedly approaches, sword pointed at the tiefling for emphasis "Lysa will not rest until either your beloved is dead or she is!  You know what must be done to protect him!" 

His muscles tense as he awaits response...

((DM, lemme know if you want a bluff check here (Even though it's kinda true), and whether or not that counts as my action/forfeits my action.  If so, I'm going to invoke total defense again this turn.))

"Magic user is felled!" Kaff shouts as he withdraws his blade from the bear and sidesteps the unlucky druid's corpse that falls to the ground in it's place.  His proclamation is superfluous though, as her handiwork fades from existence as her life ebbs out of her.

Surveying the scene, he finds himself wracked with indecision.  The barbarian woman is mobile again, but is apparently having to contend with Quintus and Ivor both.  He estimates that the duplicitous tiefling with her magical abilities would be the most dangerous under normal circumstances, but she's currently occupied by her charmed elven compatriot.   The elf, he'd love nothing more than return the favor for skewering him with a crossbow bolt, but at the moment she's proving useful and they need someone alive and talkative when this is over.

Unsure of the magnitude of the spell with which Quintus has entranced her, Kaff gambles on seeing if it is powerful enough to outweigh a direct threat to her friend and hopes that he can count on his companions backing his gambit.

"Elmina!" he calls as he hurriedly approaches, sword pointed at the tiefling for emphasis "Lysa will not rest until either your beloved is dead or she is!  You know what must be done to protect him!" 

His muscles tense as he awaits response...

((DM, lemme know if you want a bluff check here (Even though it's kinda true), and whether or not that counts as my action/forfeits my action.  If so, I'm going to invoke total defense again this turn.))

((You don't need to make a bluff check, and actually you notice after speaking that neither of them are really paying much attention to you, and may not have even heard what you said; the two are shrieking and intermittently exchanging expletives, in addition to being very physically engaged.

Talking is always a free action, so you can still take a standard action, such as attacking Lysa; if you do, you'll be at a +4 with a melee attack because she is prone.

If anyone else thinks to attack Lysa, be forewarned that ranged attacks into a grapple have a 50-50 shot of hitting either grappler, and also, Prone targets of ranged attacks get +4 to their AC.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Well alrighty then, let's get my stab on.))

The bickering women pay Kaff no heed as they struggle against one another on the ground.  His face screwed up in an expression of consternation at the thought of striking an oblivious opponent, he reminds himself how mere moments ago the pair of them had been trying most earnestly to kill him, and his hand grows steady.

"Gods forgive me, what other choice have we?"

He brings his blade down on Lysa.

Code:
Attack:  1d20 + 7 + 4 = 15
Damage:  1d6 + 6 = 11
((Nice damage, presuming that hits))

Sarm, originally having intended to use the fireball to help attack the shape shifter, is now left with different options. Seeing that the Barbarian woman is the most worthy foe at this moment, he moves in to force the fireball towards her from up close.

Code:
Melee Touch: 1D20+6 => [ 4 ] +6 = 10
Produce Flame Damage: 1D6+4 => [ 2 ] +4 = 6

((Even as a touch attack that's likely not going to hit, since the barbarian is likely armored.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Taking the time to scan the field as the dire bat withdraws back to its plane, Ivor is relieved to see that the party is relatively intact. His relief turns to alarm as he witnesses Kaff ready to attempt a strike at the two ladies. "Kaff, one is restrained and the other is ensorcelled, is it necessary to kill them?" As he backs away, his warrior foe breaks free from her hold only to hear Ivor's plea and get a grasp of the situation, which the rogue assumes will only increase her barbarian rage!

Ivor attempts to appeal to her senses and calm her rage, though he prepares to strike if this fails. He has not had the time to move away like he wanted to.

"It's time to stop this fight, now." He points a dagger at the wound he has given her. "We have won here, there's no use in pointless sacrifice. That eagle? I saw it. I anticipated this and we foiled your ambush," he says while giving a mean glance at Quintus who is also ready to attack. Ivor just hopes Kaff doesn't go through with his strike...

Code:
Diplomacy: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  12 + 2 (sense motive) = 14

Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  2 8
Attack 1: 2 + 7 - 2 = 7 to-hit
Attack 2: 8 + 7 - 2 = 13 to-hit

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  4 2
Attack 1: 4 dmg
Attack 2: 2 dmg

((Ivor will attack if his attempt to calm the barbarian fails, which likely will since the two enemies on the ground are about to be harmed and Sarm is ready to blast her. I thought it would be in-character to do and rolled a diplomacy check just in case.))

The barbarian lady shows no intention of yielding, and in fact the expression on her face suggests that she's entered a state of Rage which could only be quelled by supernatural means. Ivor takes that as a sign of noncompliance, and slashes frantically with his daggers in order to put her down. The first one catches only the cured leather of her armor, but the second penetrates and leaves a small wound which she doesn't seem to notice.

The barbarian moves in to strike, but is temporarily halted by a particularly well-aimed crossbow bolt from behind, courtesy of Quintus. It doesn't seem to have hit any vital organs, however, and the pain isn't phasing her.

A horizontal pillar of flame strikes her next from afar, as Sarm also pitches in to try and fell this monster of a woman, and it hits its mark ((armor doesn't factor into Touch AC, and I didn't give her any bonus to Dexterity, so a 10 hits)), but likewise it doesn't appear to halt her advance, merely making her more angry as she rushes toward Ivor in a mad charge to hit the first thing she sees.

Elsewhere on the battlefield, Lysa and Elmina are having it out with each other, and Elmina seems to have Lysa almost completely restrained. She continues to squirm until Kaff skewers her arm to the ground, then lets out a cry, shouting "I YIELD!", and then she stops struggling. Elmina, just to be safe, maintains her advantageous position.

((Turn 5:

Barbarian Charges at Ivor and Power Attacks for 4: d20 + 8 = 22 to hit; hits. d12 + 17 = 23 damage.

Elmina keeps Lysa restrained, and Lysa does not attempt to struggle.

You're up!))

Mike M

Nick N
While Ivor's plea is too late to stay Kaff's hand entirely, his words penetrate the fog of war enough for him to have time to alter the trajectory of his strike, scoring a non-lethal -- though painful -- wound against Lysa. His guts churning at the thought of what he'd just been prepared to do, he plays it off as though this were his intent all along.

"See that you behave yourself," he hisses at her, "or the next strike shall be decidedly more mortal."

The sensation in his gut worsens as he witnesses Ivor struck down by the charging barbarian woman, potentially because of his own act of hostility towards the two on the ground. He's had little experience with his own companions, but knows enough to presume that Sarm is probably the only one who can tend to Ivor, and that Quintus would not fare well in an physical confrontation with the enraged combatant.

Though he is only lightly armored himself, he engages the raging savage in the hopes that he might buy enough time for Ivor's rescue and perhaps some aid from Quintus' spellbook to turn the tide and put down the last standing aggressor.

"Excuse me, my lady," he shouts in a clear voice to draw her attention, "I couldn't help but notice that... uh... to the infernal planes with this, en garde!" As the furious powerhouse draws near, Kaff tries to feint to her off-hand side before plunging his rapier into her ample form...

Code:
Bluff check:  1d20 + 14 = 18
Attack:  1d20 + 7 = 14
Damage:  1d6 + 6 = 10

((Let me know if I did that feinting mechanic correctly, otherwise I guess it's just the attack.))

((Oh, I was thinking of Flatfooted. Good to know.))

Sarm's eyes widen as the woman transforms into a monster of a warrior. He grows quickly alarmed, and after seeing Ivor struck down instantly, he quickly steps back a few feet and begins to cast Hold Person again, gritting his teeth tightly, not having enough time to even give out a warning.

((Let me know if I did that feinting mechanic correctly, otherwise I guess it's just the attack.))

((Feint actually requires a standard action, and applies when you attack the following round. You can upgrade it to only costing a Move action by taking the Improved Feint feat, but that has a prerequisite feat that you don't have yet (Combat Expertise).

However, she has a comparatively low armor class, so your attack hits.

And because it's relevant for determining how Quintus proceeds, the Hold Person did NOT stick (she rolled a 19 on the die for her saving throw).

Also, Ivor, at exactly 0 HP you are technically still conscious and stable, so you can pull out a potion and drink it (any other action would cause you to drop into the negatives and lose consciousness). It makes sense that you would get knocked down by a blow like that, so we'll say that you actually did drop, which will cause the barbarian to point her attention elsewhere.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Also, Ivor, at exactly 0 HP you are technically still conscious and stable, so you can pull out a potion and drink it (any other action would cause you to drop into the negatives and lose consciousness). It makes sense that you would get knocked down by a blow like that, so we'll say that you actually did drop, which will cause the barbarian to point her attention elsewhere.))

((That's what he'll do then, a potion of heal light wounds.))

((Aren't you also allowed to take a single move action without hurting yourself when disable?))

Quintus is kinda running out of useful spells, so he just casts Flare hoping its enough to make her miss an attack. He also reloads his Crossbow.

((Yeah, that's correct. I forgot to add the word "Standard" in my explanation; move actions are fine. Such as taking out a potion or reloading a weapon.))

The frothing barbarian woman, with a blood-curdling howl that pierces the otherwise silent night air, heaves a mighty blow at Ivor and connects with the sickening sound of tearing flesh and fracturing ribs. He falls to the ground with the force of the blow, but manages to find the wherewithal to immediately produce one of the Potions he'd brewed back in town and imbibe it. It has an instantaneous effect on the grievous wound, sealing the very deepest parts of it and mending the broken bones enough for natural healing to be able to kick in from here.

Sarm, taken aback by the ferocity of this person, attempts to hold her fast with the same spell that had imprisoned her previously, but she must have learned to thwart its power, as it appears to be ineffective. Quintus, rapidly running low on options, must resort to a light show in hopes of distracting the enemy, and she does pause for a moment to try to shoo them away from her eyes, slightly throwing off her concentration.

Kaff, seeing his friend in distress, hurries forward to grab the foe's attention, thrusting his rapier directly into the wound which Ivor had just opened up. She groans in pain, and appears not to have much time left in this world, but nevertheless seems resolved to take as many of her opponents out as she can before she goes.

((Round 6:))

The Barbarian unleashes the full power of her rage on Kaff now, and performs an upward slash with her axe, which he wasn't expecting. Although the blow connects, fortunately the awkward angle causes it to merely clip the beleaguered swordsmen, and he remains (barely) standing despite the force behind the blow. d20 + 7 = 21; hits. d12 + 17 = 18 damage

"Elmina," Lysa says urgently, "Let me go long enough to put down Scarlet! She'll be dead when her adrenaline wears out anyway; better to stop her from dealing them more damage and causing more problems for us!"

After seeing how much chaos Scarlet has already caused, especially after just very nearly taking Kaff out entirely, Elmina acquiesces and frees Lysa's arms. She immediately casts her last remaining Magic Missile, which is just enough to put Scarlet out permanently; she falls to the ground with an unceremonious thud.

((Combat Over. A separate post is coming momentarily with the loot gained from the battle and some RP from the still-living NPCs))

With the immediacy of the situation over, the party begins to tend to the aftermath of the battle. Sarm (presumably) makes use of every single healing spell remaining in his arsenal ((they'll be replenished after the night is over)) to tend to Kaff and Ivor's wounds.

Elmina dutifully ties Lysa up and then goes to Quintus and attempts to hug him. "My love," she declares, "I don't know what I was ever thinking. I am so sorry for attacking you. If you could find it in your heart to forgive me, I would gladly be yours forever."

At that, Lysa chimes in: "You know what? Count me in on that as well. I could learn to be a concubine, if the alternative is death, or rotting in prison."

((For Quintus, or for anyone who can make a DC 16 Spellcraft check
The Charm Person spell is going to last another 4 hours. This information will probably affect how you deal with her from here.

Regardless of how the situation plays itself out from here, presumably at some point Quintus will throw up a Detect Magic in order to appropriately assess the value of the night's spoils.

He immediately notes that the boots worn by the barbarian woman are glowing so bright that it's almost blinding, with an aura far stronger than anything he's ever seen before. Although you're unable to identify them, you may be able to discern their properties by putting them on and making a Spellcraft check.

As for the rest, you find:
-The crossbow which Elmina had previously been holding has a +1 enchantment on it.
-Lysa is wearing a Cloak of Charisma +2 and Bracers of Armor +3 (these provide a +3 armor bonus without actually requiring any armor proficiency or creating a chance for spell failure. This does not stack with actual armor, however.)
-The barbarian woman's leather armor has a +1 enchantment on it.
-The Druid was wearing a Periapt of Wisdom +2
-Although the battle axe isn't magical, it's still a fine piece of weaponry that would command decent coin at any weapon shop ((it can be sold for half of the book price)).
-Between them, the opposing party was carrying 8400 gold.

At this point, you realize that the barbarian woman and the druid were wearing garb consistent with what the other Vecna cultists have been wearing in previous encounters, specifically the green color of the cloth.

((So if the bracers don't stack, no point in calling dibs if your armor is +3 or greater already?))

((Exactly. Also, I know what you mean about the FF victory theme. In the real-life game I'm participating in, I often play that from my phone after we finish a battle.))

Quintus asks Elmina, and Lysa I guess, to answer any questions they have. He begins by asking them "Who are you and why'd you attack us?"

As a side note, when ever his spell is about to wear off, he probably ties up Elmina, telling her its so they can have a bit of fun, though it is obviously so she doesn't start attacking people or something.

He also puts on the boots to figure out what exactly they do. While I'm at it, he might as well take the bracers as I don't think anyone else can make much use of them.

Code:
Arcana: 1D20+14 => [ 17 ] +14 = 31
((I have a good feeling about this one...))

((EDIT: BTW is there a way to tell what kinda of arcane caster the teifling is? I assume Sorcerer, but not sure if my character would be able to come to that conclusion just because she is wearing a clock of charisma. And I could be wrong, maybe she is just a wizard who likes to look good.))

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff stands panting from exertion, appraising the spoils of victory. While these items are clearly not the possessions of common brigands (by this point he'd already surmised that these ladies were no such thing), there was little here he could make much use of short of selling it off. The druid's bauble, however, is eye catching, but to plunder her corpse for such a trinket like a Ruby Keep back alley thug seems so... unseemly.

The tremors of the comedown from his adrenaline high seize him. Requiring time to compose himself and construct a line of questioning for their captives, he allows his more experienced partners to have first crack at the interrogation.

((Posting to claim the periaft of wisdom, since I think I'm the only one that would benefit from it in this party, unless I'm mistaken.

I don't think I need anything else from the tangible loot.))

Sarm does make efforts to heal ((I assume that spell charges won't be a problem)), and looks over to the two new friends, but cannot think of anything to say, baffled by their change of heart despite magic being in effect. He then takes a glance at the mark of Vecna, and warns Quintis, "Be careful of questioning them! These were more members of the Arm of Vecna, I do not wish to repeat what had happened to the Orc needlessly."

Elmina doesn't look like she believes you about the reason for tying her up, but she doesn't object to it.

"After the whole business with you taking out Davos and his crew, Scarlet and her partner - who are also members of that Vecna cult, and happened to be nearby at the time - decided that they should take you out. Lysa and I are a team with a reputation for getting things done - particularly for the shadier types, as we don't ask questions -, and we'd worked with Scarlet in the past, so she hired us to gather info about you and your abilities, and then assist her in neutralizing you. Lysa convinced her to leave one of you alive for questioning."

Lysa sighs and rolls her eyes, desperately wanting to facepalm, and unable to because of the ropes. "Why don't you just tell them our addresses and annual incomes while you're at it."

"I promise, my love, that's all I know. We aren't members of their cult so we didn't get that nasty curse put on us, but that also means they didn't tell us much. We were just following orders."

The boots are extremely comfortable, and adjust to be the perfect fit for Quintus as he puts them on. They look pristine, free of dirt or wear, and are made of a very soft, tanned leather. As soon as you put them on, you feel several degrees more stable than you did before, and suddenly the idea of traveling sounds both exhilarating and relaxing to you.

((That was a very good Arcana roll. The boots let you act as though you're enchanted by a Freedom of Movement spell. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Freedom_of_Movement In addition, while wearing them you can't be knocked prone against your will, and you never get tired from traveling, so theoretically you could walk continuously and have no need for sleep. This benefit doesn't work when you're not actually traveling, though, so standing in the same spot or purposely walking in circles will make you get tired and need rest.))

Knowledge Religion:
DC 15
You feel a powerful energy emanating from the boots, consistent with a god. You're not sure which god, but it seems likely that this is one of the sacred artifacts that Elric had mentioned. This is the strongest indication of a god's presence in this world that you've ever felt.

DC 22
You're pretty sure that these boots are the work of Fharlangh, the self-proclaimed god of travel. His alignment is neutral, and he seems to get along pretty well with all the gods in the pantheon (except for the chaotic evil ones, who don't get along with anyone)

Half the night still remains, and you all definitely need to get some sleep ((a night's rest will recover HP equal to your level + your Constitution modifier)). Is anyone going to stay awake for the final watch?

((Response to Quintus's edit:)) It's pretty easy to tell that she's a sorceror. She just kind of gives off that vibe, in your experience dealing with sorcerors in the past, and the Cloak of Charisma proves your suspicions.

Code:
 Knowledge Religion: 1D20+5 => [ 16 ] +5 = 21
"Hmm... think these boots may be one of the artifacts Elric mentioned, there is something... different about them." He also informs the party of the boots capabilities, and lets who thinks they can use them best have them.

To the two prisoners Quintus asks, "You know nothing else about these cultist? Like anything about other members, or any places where they might meet?"

As for resting, Quintus would like to be able to get his 8 hours in so he can regain his spells for the day.

Sarm soon nods at what the women say, relieved that they will not spontaneously explode for speaking freely, "It does not surprise me that not every person involved knows the secrets of the cult. I fear the path to the truth will be a long and perilous one."

Code:
Knowledge Religion: 1D20+12 => [ 10 ] +12 = 22

Sarm kneels down to examine the boots more closely, soon realizing the intricate details he learned about on a forgotten day,"These are boots of Fharlangh, the god known for travelling. I did not think I would ever see an item like this with my own eyes." He puts on a smile, "They suit you."

((I have four castings of Cure Light Wounds and one casting of Cure Moderate Wounds. If everybody can list how much HP they currently have so I can distrubute the spells to get the most out of the resting.))

"I'm sorry, my love, but I do not know anything else about these cultists. The last time we worked with Scarlet was months ago, before she had joined with them. And if a member of their cult reveals too much information to an outsider, they burn to death from the inside out, so we were kept in the dark." Elmina looks sullen and unhappy that she can't tell you anything more.

"The whole thing was frustrating for us," Lysa decides to chime in. "To operate with such a lack of information is usually out of the question for us. The only reason we accepted the job is because Scarlet offered us triple our normal asking price. I'll say one thing for these cultists, whoever they are, they are NOT lacking in coin."

((Remember when distributing healing spells that outside of combat, healing spells and potions are maximized. At this level, that means CLW heals 12 HP, and CMW heals 20. The Potions of CLW will heal 13.))

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff looks decidedly put out by Elmina's tale. "So this was, what? An exercise in vengeance? And you shot me? I wasn't even there." He throws the crossbow bolt down at their feet as he takes a knee before them.

"I well and truly believe you know nothing more of the agents of the cult, they are nothing if not, ah, taciturn. I am curious -- most curious indeed -- to hear what information about us you passed on to your erstwhile employers, however. I am a man who deeply values his, ah, privacy."

Glancing over at Scarlet's body, he adds almost casually, "You have your lives, but I can't help but speculate that it might have a, ah, negative impact on your business prospects in your line of work if it were to get out that it came at the cost of the life of your employer." He clucks his tongue scoldingly. "A very negative impact, I wager. If only we could reach a, ah, mutually beneficial agreement..."

((I am thinking...

Cure Moderate Wounds on Ivor +20 HP
Cure Light Wounds on Kaff twice, +24 HP
Cure Light Wounds on Sarm, +12 HP

And I am guessing that will be enough to let the level + Constitution modifier bring up to full?

Also, we each get 2100 gold each, correct?))

Elmina looks up regretfully at Kaff. "I am sorry that I shot you, sir. Any friend of Quintus's is a friend of mine." She looks wistfully at the cocksure young wizard, who is testing out his new footwear.

Lysa clears her throat. "If you're looking to make a deal, sir, your efforts might be better spent making it with me. As you can see, my partner here is not exactly in her right mind."

As Kaff redirects his attention, Lysa continues. "I believe we can come to an agreement." She then lowers her voice slightly, though not enough to be out of everyone's earshot.

"However, before we reveal everything we've told our employers, you may want to carefully consider just what exactly it is you want made public, Mister Reyneel." She looks directly into Kaff's eyes as she says this, a slight smile forming at the corners of her mouth, and awaits a response.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Ivor was at zero but I think he's been healed. I'm interested in the bracers but only because I'm planning on having him take the duelist prestige class at some time, so the armour is more beneficial at this point.))

After the violent fight, Ivor rests where he was previously camping. Having come so close to death, he may need some encouragement in order to continue the adventure. As he is not a fighter and was woken with a barbarian bearing down upon him he feels he requires more protection.

"Answer her, good sir."

He is not happy.

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff returns Lysa's smile and whispers. "A little knowledge can be a deadly thing, love. While I don't question you are astute in your observations, I most sincerely doubt you are in possession of the entire truth of the matter."

Kaff arises and brushes the dirt and detritus from his legs. "For the moment though, you have satiated my curiosity. Most unfortunate that your contract came to an abrupt end when your employer tripped over a root and landed on the sword of a mere and humble appraiser of antiquities and art. Bad stroke of luck, that. Can scarcely believe it myself."

Sarm having restored him nearly fully, Kaff is feeling downright spritely after the battle, and volunteers to watch the remainder of the night if no one else is willing. He doubts he would get much sleep anyway.

Lysa does not reply to Kaff, and instead looks directly at Ivor. Once he meets her gaze, she holds it, except that every few seconds she briefly and deliberately flashes a look toward Kaff, then immediately turns back to Ivor.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"Fine, then it can wait - For now. We can talk more about how much the enemies knows of us and more about what went wrong later."

The rest of the night passes without incident (unless Kaff chooses to engage the prisoners in conversation while the rest of the party sleeps - if he wishes to, he is free to use PMs, spoiler tags, or none of the above at his discretion. If he doesn't talk to them first, they're going to try and sleep), and the timing works out such that Quintus's Charm Person spell wears off just as everyone wakes up.

"Bloody hell..." Elmina says as she sits up, realizing how she'd behaved, "Damned wizards and their mind-altering magic. Should be outlawed." She looks apologetically at Lysa. "Sorry about that. Wasn't much I could do. Surprised it affected me as strongly as it did, though."

Lysa shakes her head. "Relax. It was likely because you already fancied him before he cast the spell. Don't blame you, really - there's something about that wizard." She turns to the rest of the party. "So, it's a new day, and you've still got us as prisoners. Now the question becomes, what do you do with us? Do you let us go? Do you bring us along and risk us finding out where you're going and what you're doing? Or do you just kill us and get it over with? What'll it be, boys?"

It occurs to you that being taken prisoner is old hat to them, as they don't seem the least bit put off by the experience.

Sarm takes his time to meditate and prepare his spells as the night ends, keeping his prayers to a whisper as to not disturb the others. When he awakes, he starts the day with a stretch and begins putting on his armor, and listens to the bickering from the women. He states to them, "I do not kill those that are not evil unless we are endangered. If I can avoid death even during a battle, I will." This does not say what he would want to do with them, only what he does not want to do.

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff stands up and stretches out the aches in his muscles. "I've been puzzling over this during the night. I'm, ah, not too keen on the prospect of killing helpless victims, I think on that much we can all agree. I suppose we could surrender them to the authorities when we reach... Our destination... But we incurr the risk of them escaping with that knowledge, which we all know would fetch a price to certain interested parties.

"On the other hand, we have their equipment and gold, their paymasters and most able tracker are dead, and we hold the means to discredit them most handily. Releasing them is... Not, ah, completely unthinkable... But seems like inadequate recompense for attempted murder..."

((Ivor was at zero but I think he's been healed.

((You drank a Potion of Cure Light Wounds, which means you healed d8 + 5 HP. Since it was during combat, it's not maximized, so roll a d8, add 5, and heal that many HP. Then, Sarm healed you for 20 more, and then you gain your Level + your Con mod for sleeping during the night. All of that should put you at either very close to full, or full HP))

"Are we sure they don't already know about... our destination. Its not exactly a well guarded secret, even if the Wormwood group is, and I imagine these Vecna cultist have been there looking for artifacts and discovered them instead. And our friend Elric didn't seem to worried about keeping that information. In fact, I suspect these two may already know exactly where we are going, given their... positions on that night."

Sarm listens to the brainstorming from Quintis, and soon asks the women, "Were they confident enough in your abilities that they did not feel the need to set a trap or an ambush?"

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"I have never been to the great library, I only know of it. Do they have much in the way of defences if this cult sends more after us, or a hold for our prisoners?"

Top Bottom