• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Quintus probably goes upstairs at some point and blah blah blah, the next day he probably gets to work on copying the sleep spell scroll into his spell book.

Code:
Arcana check DC 16: 1D20+14 => [ 10 ] +14 = 24

((What a way to go, both in character and out. Maybe once jon bones is unbanned Sarm will be a high enough level to cast "Remove Disease".))

((I think I will play off of Kaff, so I'll be waiting for his post.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Alright, not really anything to rate DM's eyes only...))

Kaff doesn't seem surprised to find Sarm at Elric's boarding house seeking an audience with their newfound sponsor in the Wormwood Initiates. Hailing from the capital of the kingdom, Kaff has been exposed to a broad variety of race and creed. In Kaff's worldview, this exotic devotee of a relatively alien faith is noteworthy only for the statistical underrepresentation of his demographic here in Alydar.

He has in fact struck Kaff as perhaps the most serious of his new found companions, a trait he finds most... Agreeable to his disposition.

Nodding in Sarm's direction, he takes a seat and awaits Elric to meet him and his fellow supplicant. "I hope the morning finds you, ah, well, cleric."

The cleric sits across from Kaff, and sits upward while waiting. He smiles, "I always take care to ensure that it does." Sarm sees Kaff as of right now as a man that appears very successful, like a wealthy merchant or a scholar, but does not seem to be like this land's nobility somehow.

Just as Sarm and Kaff have a seat at the table in the common area of the boarding house, Elric comes in from outside, fully dressed in his gray and gold city guard uniform. He sees the two of you looking expectantly at him and nods, sauntering over and joining you both.

"Morning," he says, stifling a yawn. "Sorry, I'm a little tired. I just got off my shift. Sanders didn't show up on time this morning and I had to cover for him. He was drinking at the Griffin all night. Glad to see you two are none the worse for wear. So, what can I do for you?"

Sarm begins, "I do not know if your oath prevents you from speaking, I wish to know more about this 'Arm of Vecna'. What is their history, even when they were a much smaller group, and what influence it has outside of crime."

Mike M

Nick N
"And I," chimes in Kaff, "would be, ah, particularly interested in having a moment alone with the captives. I believe I have a means of gleaning intelligence from them that I might be able to make use of. I have reason to think that this might be accomplished without their knowledge or running afoul of whatever, ah, enchantment binds their tongues."

((Could also use a refresher on who was taken captive after the battle))

Elric nods, lets out an exaggerated yawn, stretches his arms, and then rests them on the table. "Well, Kaff, that one is easy. The prisoners are still rotting in their holding cell under the constabulary, and there are no visiting restrictions during the day. You're free go to talk to them right now if you like. Their sentencing hearing isn't for another couple of days, I think.

((The captives were Davos, a human male; Leeta, a human female; and Kempok, a male half-orc))

"Sarm, I'll tell you all I can about them - that's not what I'm prohibited from talking about -, but I'm afraid I don't know much. You see, we - the Initiates - make it our business to monitor the activities of religious factions throughout the continent, for reasons I'm unable to disclose right now. There are worshipers of all the gods in the Pantheon, good and evil, and until a few months ago, the children of Vecna were merely one small group among many.

"Then, without much warning, two things started to happen. First, our operatives began disappearing. Occasionally a body would be uncovered, but for the most part, they were gone without a trace.

"Almost simultaneously, our intelligence reports started to indicate a significant swelling in the numbers of Vecna cultists, and we began hearing whispers about those artifacts I mentioned earlier - artifacts which are supposed to be so secret that NO ONE is supposed to know about them.

"And... that's about the size of it, apart from the fact that the trends have continued: our operatives continue to disappear, and the Arm of Vecna continues to grow in number and in influence. As to the extent of their influence, it's hard to say, but I'd wager that most of the criminal activity they've been behind is all a part of their plot to find the artifacts.

"Other than that, we pretty much have nothing. No names, no base of operations, and obviously no defectors, as you've seen what happens when one of them tries to defect. We've had precious few victories against them so far, and the fact that your crew has managed to foil one of their plots is the biggest reason I'm asking for your help on behalf of all of us."

Sarm nods slowly at the information presented to him, tilting slightly in his chair, "Vecna is an evil god whose very power is to keep secrets in the shadows. Your disappearing operatives... I believe they are now his secrets. There is power in killing those that speak any whisper of his knowledge to the still air. I do not know what value the artifacts have, but I am determined to cleanse evil wherever I may find it."

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff interjects apologetically, "I dislike making such an abrupt departure, gentlemen, but time is of the, ah, essence. Sarm, I believe Elric will be able to bring you up to speed with all our combined efforts have uncovered, and in turn I trust you will share more of your knowledge of Vecna on our way to the Great Library. But if I am to be successful in the endeavor I have in mind, I must leave at once to complete it before we, ah, quit Alydar."

After making a brief stop at his own quarters to pick up some items and change into fresh clothes, Kaff makes directly for the constabulary...

((Spoiler text for DM eyes only.))
((Alright, my character's goals in this following exchange are as follows:
- Study Davos' appearance, mannerisms, and accent for purposes of later impersonation.
- Obtain signatures and handwriting sampled (Davos' being the priority, but the other two would be useful too) for later forgery purposes.

This is all one long bullshitting session, so I'm making a bluff roll:

1d20: 12+14=26

I'll leave it to your discression if I need to make any additional bluff checks for each component of the fabrication, and whether I need to be making any Perception checks to study Davos.

My Perception is kinda crappy at this point : /

Also, leaving it spoiler texted unless you view otherwise. Clearly everyone suspects something's up, and Kaff will probably have to BS an NPC in their presence at some point, but why tip the hand so soon. Including a nested spoiler block in case anyone's failing their resistance of the urge to peek : ) ))

Kaff enters the cell room carrying a folio case, city guards holding a stool and small table entering in his wake.  "Right over there, please," Kaff says quietly as he gestures to a space in front of Davos' cell.  The guards place their items in the indicated location and vacate the room, locking the door behind them.

From his folio, Kaff produces several sheets of parchment, an ink well and pen, a candle, and a block of sealing wax.  Without a word, he sits at the table, lifts his pen, and begins writing at length on the top sheet of parchment in crisp, precise lettering.

For several moments only the sound of the pen scratching out its message upon the parchment can be heard.  When Kaff finally breaks his silence, it sounds positively thunderous despite the level of his voice being at speaking level.

"In case you are not already aware," he intones, as his writing continues unabated, "there is to be a tribunal convened tomorrow to begin trying the lot of you for the alleged kidnapping of the Mayor's daughter."

Kaff relapses into silence after conveying this information, ever scribbling.  A moment passes, then he begins speaking again.  "I am your duly appointed advocate.  Well, volunteer, actually.  You may call me Gryst, as in 'the grist that slows the wheels of justice.'" At this he pauses briefly to flash a smile at the prisoners.

"As to why I would volunteer to be your advocate," Kaff says as he returns his attention to his parchment, "there is a gold rush afoot in our fair city.  Only instead of extracting it from the ground, I extract it from... Other avenues.  

"Judging by recent events, I have cause to believe you may have access -- or have associates with access -- to considerable resources.  I want nothing more than to ingratiate myself, in the hopes that you may see fit at a later date to pass some small measure of your future successful endeavours the way of your old friend Gryst."  Kaff arises with a broad smile and a wink as he steps toward Davos' cell, parchments and pen in hand.

"Now this," Kaff says holding the parchment he'd been writing on aloft, "is a standard contract.  It acknowledges that you have accepted me as your legal council, and confers confidentiality to all that we discuss. That confidentiality extends to correspondaces between the signatories and other parties using myself as an intermediary." 

Kaff holds up the blank parchments and gestures to Davos and his associates in a sweep of his arm.  "One correspondence for each of you, that I shall see delivered to a destination of your choosing.  I'd take care and write -- you all can write, can you not? -- in cypher to be cautious, the Mayor may have leverage enough to discern the contents, legal protections be damned.

"To be frank, your situation is dire, most dire indeed.  The evidence against you is considerable, and there is blood in the water.  The people hunger for your conviction, and would be quick to see you all dance on the gallows.  I am not likely to acquit you of the charges you face, I merely offer the hope of slowing the process down enough so that you might make other... arrangements... with those that might be able to offer a more tangible form of assistance."

Looking Davos straight in the eye with eyebrow raised inquisitively, he offers the parchments in one hand, the pen in the other.  "What say you?"

Quintus awakens to an empty bed and a mild hangover, having carefully monitored his alcohol consumption the previous night. The tiefling girl was definitely a... different experience, and some of the things she was able to do with that tail are still beyond the realm of believability.

As he leaves his room and heads downstairs in the Griffin, he sees Ivor eating breakfast at one of the tables. and decides to join him for a meal.

After the meal and a happy recounting of the night's events ((Ivor, feel free to use this opportunity to explain what happened to you in the past tense if you'd like, maybe with a little embellishment to make for a better story?)), Quintus goes about his business, easily transcribing his new spell to his spellbook, and then sets out to gather the group together again in order to get this show on the road.

-------------------------------------------------------

Kaff excuses himself from the table at the boarding house and hurries comically out of the building, nearly tripping over himself in the process, just before Elric tells Sarm everything he knows.

After Sarm's reply, Elric nods to him. "Believe me when I tell you that it's a great relief to hear you say that. As it stands, you're the first bit of sunlight to shine on my organization in quite some time. Pun intended, of course. Pelor? Sunshine? Get it?" He laughs - entirely too loudly, in your opinion - and stretches again.

"Well, when I start making bad jokes, that means it's time for me to get some sleep. So, now that I've told you all I know, I hope you'll excuse me. I need to get some rest in before I have to wake up and write a letter to Curzon to let him know you're coming before the carrier pigeons get sent out." He sighs. "It's not easy working two jobs, you know." With that, he stands up and slowly plods up the stairs toward his room. Sarm, believing he's learned as much as he can from Elric, gets up to find the rest of his traveling companions.

For Kaff only
Davos and Leeta stare at you somewhat blankly as you explain your intentions to them. Kempok doesn't even appear to acknowledge your presence.

((None of the prisoners or guards seem the least bit suspicious of you))

"You know," Davos says as you finally pause at the end; you're not even sure he registered that you asked him a question, and suspect that he may have just been waiting for the noise to stop. "I barely understood a word of all that. You bookish types," and he sneers, "If I had my way, the lot of you would be put out to pasture. Well... 'cept the ones who's keepin' my coin purse full, I reckon."

As you begin to second guess your approach, fearing that you may have sailed clear over Davos's head, Leeta chimes in.

"This man's here to help us, you dolt." She stands up from her cot and moves toward the bars of the cell. "He's going to delay our executions, and he thinks that's going to buy our employers enough time to break us out of here."

At that, Davos bursts out laughing. "He thinks they're gonna bust us outta here?" he repeats, amused. "People who--" He stops himself abruptly. "Ahhh, I almost did myself in there, I did!" He kicks one of the bars of the cell, angry at himself for nearly tipping his hand. He looks at you again.

"If we expect to escape from here, we'll have to be doin' it ourselves. Personally I'm ready to die; I been ready to die since I was a lad. But you said you could maybe give us a little more time if I sign them papers? Sure, why not. Maybe that'll give me time enough to finally convince the lady here to give me a right good fuck before I go out. Last rites, and all that."

Davos snatches the papers and quill from your hand, follows your instructions on where and how to sign them, and hands them to Leeta before turning around and deliberately collapsing onto his cot.

Leeta gets in close to you and lowers her voice slightly. "Listen, Mister Gryst. You can see that Davos isn't very bright, but he's right about one thing. We're on our own. I..." She pauses, carefully choosing her words as she continues. "I don't want to die. I need... help. Help with the "albatross" hanging around my neck. One of the men who captured us - he's a cleric. I think another one's a wizard. If there's some way they can get this "albatross" off of me, well... I'd be very grateful." She signs the papers and gives them back to you.

You attempt to get Kempok's attention, but it's no use. You can tell that he's breathing and alive, but his facial expression hasn't changed since you entered the cell block, and he hasn't paid one lick of attention to you.

You've observed more than enough about Davos's mannerisms and accent to make an excellent impersonation of him. However, you note that his hair is shoulder length and bright red, which is a significant difference from your own short, black hair; that could potentially be an obstacle. You are able to get a peek at the prisoners' possessions in the evidence locker on your way out, though, and you note that one of the suits of armor is identical (in appearance, anyway; you can't tell if this one is also enchanted) to the one you pilfered following the assault on the town.

Sarm just smiles, "The joke was in good intention. Have a good rest." With that he stands, and motions over to whoever is available to tell Kaff after Kaff finishes his interrogation that he will is returning to meet the rest of his companions.

Mike M

Nick N
DM Only
((For clarification, did they only sign the contract, or did they take the opportunity to write a message to be delivered as well? I assume just the contract since they gave no indication of delivery instructions?))

"Gryst" carefully accepts the signed dicuments. Holding the block of sealing wax to the candle, he says, "Consider yourselves represented. I'll even throw in your taciturn friend there as a special bonus. I'm ever so loathe to break up such... Close friends." He drips a single drop of the blood red wax onto the contract and impresses it with his signet ring. "There, it is done. Nice and official," he says with a predatory grin.

Chatting amicably as he packs up his items, he continues, "You should know, the mayor is not well loved by all in Alydar. His inability to secure a swift conviction fir the alleged kidnappers of his iwn daughter will cause him to rage. Make mistakes. Cut corners." Adopting a tone of mock solemness he adds, "But Grisham Gryst will be there to insist that the king's law be followed to the letter. Though we be far from the walls of Ruby Keep, the rules of civilized society still bind us all, do they not?"

His things packed he heads towards the door. "I'd tell you to remember to say nothing without my being present, but I have a distinct impression that will not be a concern. Sirs. Madam." Pantomiming doffing his hat, he whistles a tune as he exits the constabulary.

Kaff drops his false cheer as soon as he emerges from the building. He more than anyone has cause to hate the agents of the Arm, and by all rights he should be content to let these three rot in prison, swing from the gallows, self-immolate with demonic flames, or whatever. But Leeta's plea had been achingly sincere, though Kaff was unsure what could be done in the time allotted to him. He resolved to bring this finding to Sarm and Quintus, adding a quiet "Gods damn it," under his breath when he realizes that he has actually just decided to try and help these people...

Returning to his own accommodations, Kaff prepares to depart Alydar. It's a speedy affair, as he has has no cause to remove his disguises from the false bottom of his chest, though he does opt to put his face kit in his backpack, just in case. Once packed, he goes to meet his companions at their scheduled departure point.

((Kaff's good until we get everyone together to head out))

Kaff
At your repeated offer to send out a message, Leeta's lips smile at you, though her eyes shift from fear to deadness. "Mister Gryst, if we had anyone worth sending a message to, we wouldn't be in this position right now. That's one thing Davos and I have in common." She returns to her cot and lays down, staring at the ceiling.

((I'm going to let Ivor catch up a bit, and then the party will be ready to leave town))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
That morning...

Ivor sat quietly in the main hall of the Griffin, helping himself to the ample breakfast laid out for the partygoers. Though he had made plenty of small talk in the last several hours and met the people staying at the inn overnight, the copious drinks meant only a fraction of the revelers were awake. It seemed he was not the only one who had woken roughly, as the hall was almost entirely empty and silent save for some quiet conversation in the background. Sunlight flooded in through the high windows, illuminating the tavern in a serene fashion.

Looking up from his meal, Ivor saw his friend Quintus approaching the table and greeted him warmly, making room at the top and giving him a firm handshake. Swapping stories of the previous night, Ivor scoffed at the adventure with the tiefling girl though his ribbing was in good nature. In fact, the dwarf had gone to bed alone that night after reuniting with some friends and clients of the goldmines whom he aided in the accident. He has no desire at present for the kind of attention the entertainers would have provided, or anything lasting longer than a night. Instead Ivor told Quintus his adventures in drinking, including his contest with "Ulfric... Boozenstein?"

As an aside, Ivor wondered to Quintus if he should have given he and Bones a potion of antitoxin.

The party reunites in the town square, and after stopping by the infirmary to give their best to the unfortunate Bones, they go to the stables and prepare their wagon and horses for the journey ahead.

((Feel free to make conversation with each other during your next few posts; there will be plenty of time for it in between the events I'm laying out.))

The weather is fair the first day: partially cloudy, but with plenty of sun still shining through. The roads start out busy, but you don't run into any congestion, and as you travel further from town, you gradually encounter fewer and fewer travelers on the trail. As the sun begins to set and the day's travels start to wear on you, you start looking for a place to lay your head, and fortune smiles upon you as you come upon a roadside inn. At a total cost of 6 gold, you're able to rent two small rooms, each with two adequate beds to get a good night's rest.

The next day is somewhat gloomier. Clouds cover the sky, and a chill wind blows. To compound this change in tone, you are now a good distance from any sort of civilization, and the trail has become small and less well-worn.

Perception DC 20
Looking up at the sky, you see an eagle flying high above you, and thinking back, you realize that this same bird has been following you almost since you left town yesterday. It seems to be flying in a loose circle over your heads, and it's probably a good 300 feet up.

Knowledge Nature DC 14
Based on the direction of the wind, the moisture content in the air, and the way the clouds look, it's probably going to start raining eventually, and once it starts, it might not stop for a while.

The day drags on, and as the sky darkens, you realize that you're probably going to have to make camp in the wilderness.

((Figure out what the watch schedule is overnight, and then each person who keeps watch please give me a Perception check.

Also, tomorrow I'm flying out of the country at 4:45. My plane ride will be 9 hours, and I'm not completely sure I'll be able to get online on Saturday, so it may be a day or two before I can make it back on here once I leave for the airport. I'll keep track of the thread up until then, but I wanted to give fair warning so that it my disappearance doesn't come out of nowhere.

While I'm gone, feel free to interact with each other, etc; you all know the drill))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Craaap, I forgot to add the constitution bonus to Ivor's HP. Rolled a 3 turning level 4, so I'll add it now.))

On board the wagon heading out of Alydar, Ivor feels the all-familiar pit of nervousness form in his gut. People compare this feeling to butterflies but in this rogue's opinion nothing so pleasant should be associated with it. After such a happy couple of days he is once again thrust into adventure.

After the first day of travel passed with no incident, his spirits raised slightly. This might not be so bad.

Code:
Perception: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  17 + 8 = 25 (pass)

Knowledge Nature: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  9 (fail)

Slouching lazily in the wagon, Ivor stares up at the clouds. He decides to speak up.

"Listen, team. I see something. This eagle flying above us? It's been following us for some time, even since yesterday. It has tried to hide itself from me but I'm convinced it is tracking us... Nothing leaves my sight that easily!"

Code:
Perception: 1D20+5 => [ 15 ] +5 = 20
"I notice it too..." He says, watching it from below. "The Arm of Vecna could have eyes where many would not believe."

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff arrives at the designated meeting point lugging a solid oaken chest of his belongings. He has traded scholarly garb for a sensible traveler's outfit of good, strong boots, woolen pants, and a white shirt.

It doesn't take much to notice that this particular ensemble of his has seen little, if any use. What draws more attention is that he is also sporting a set of studded leather armor and cloak identical to those worn by the agents of the Arm of Vecna and a rapier at his side. When pressed for details, he only states that it seemed sensible to bring along protection, that he did not own any of his own, and that the former owner no longer had any use of it. He declines to elaborate any further, citing his desire to not revisit "that unpleasantness."

Having made no secret of his visits to the prisoners, he shares what little additional information he's learned; That he does not believe the humans to be much more than hired thugs in the service of the Arm, and indeed Leeta in particular seems particularly eager to defect if they can find someway to release her from the spell that binds her. The orcish chap, he can make neither heads nor tails of.

Kaff implores Elric to do all he can to stall the near certain execution of the prisoners, as they will doubtlessly prove valuable if a way to break the spell can be found.

Proving hopeless in the saddle, it is decided to use his assigned mount as a packhorse while he rides refaced in the cart.

((Check rolls forthcoming))

Mike M

Nick N
Code:
Perception:  1d20 = 4 + 2 = 6
Nature Knowledge: 1d20 = 10 + 4 = 14
((Dat perception check! Untrained knowledge checks are just for DC10 and below, otherwise require training, right? Just including it in case I'm wrong since I barely made it.))

Kaff pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose and scans the skies in vain with a frown. "I see nothing, but I'm admittedly well and truly outside my, ah, element."

((If someone notices something and points it out to the others, in most cases the others will also be able to notice it, as long as they were able to at least try to roll for it. So Kaff, once Ivor tells you about the bird, you'll see it.

And about the untrained rolls, yes, that sounds like a good baseline. I don't know if that's in the official rules, but we will go with it))

Quintus is busy looking over his spell books and misses all the skill checks, but checks out the bird once its is pointed out to him, "Ahh yes, that is quite suspicious..." and considers having his raven familiar(that has totally be with him this whole time...) get a closer look. Instead he just tells Edgar to keep an eye on their stalker for now.

Code:
Nature: 1D20+6 => [ 7 ] +6 = 13
Perception: 1D20+5 => [ 6 ] +5 = 11

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff's eyes follows everyone's gaze skyward, and he finally spots their avian tail.

"Hm. It does seem unnatural that we should hold it's attention for such a, ah, prolonged period."

He glances around in askance, as though a solution to the situation may be lying handily in the road. "Options, gentlemen? It would be prudent to presume our observer is hostile, thus maintaining our current course could render us, ah, vulnerable. I don't suppose any of you happen to be a master bowman? Have a pyroclastic arcane bolt at the ready?"

Mike M

Nick N
((Oh wait, missed the part about watch schedules and such, guess we're not doing anything about the eagle anytime soon.))

With night rapidly approaching, Kaff volunteers to take the first shift on watch.

Code:
Perception check:  1d20 = 7 + 2 = 9

((No luck with perception checks in this...))

Kaff's watch passes without incident, except that at some point during his watch he looks up and notices that the eagle isn't there. Next up...?

((probably should have gone first, just so i won't have to worry about interrupted sleep... then again I'm not planning on change spells so i guess that won't be a problem))

Quintus takes the second watch.

Code:
perception: 1D20+5 => [ 3 ] +5 = 8

He may have dozed off at some point...

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Upon being woken up, Ivor is ever so slightly grouchy. "Alright, amateurs. Just let me handle this. I trust there was no sleeping on the job."

Code:
Perception: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  15 + 8 = 23

In order to pass the time and keep himself paying attention to the camp surroundings, Ivor spends his watch sketching the environment in his notebook. Taking every detail into account he recreates a set of scenes by moon and candlelight.

((Sorry about the delay guys. Thanks to jet lag, I've spent 19 of the past 24 hours sleeping. We will pick up during Quintus's watch, since something was supposed to happen there.))

Quintus has been on watch for about an hour. His body didn't exactly appreciate its sleep schedule getting interrupted when Kaff woke him up, and one can only review one's spell book so many times before it gets tedious, so he's having a bit of trouble staying awake. This is probably why he gets caught unawares when suddenly a carpet of twisty, turny, thorny, hostile vines springs up from the ground and attempts to wrap itself around the party.

Spellcraft DC 16
It's the Entangle spell. For details, see here http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Entangle

When the plants start to sprout rudely from the ground, Ivor, Kaff, and Sarm are awakened with a start, but are still lying down prone.

((During your turn, make a Reflex save, DC 14. If you fail the check, you are entangled, and you can't take move actions, including standing up. On your turn, you may make a DC 20 Strength or Escape Artist check to break free. If you pass the check, you still have to spend a move action to stand (except for Quintus, since he's already up), and then you may only move at half speed unless you get out of the area that's entangled, which will take two move actions. If you want to be next to a teammate (for healing purposes), I'll say that if you want to already be right next to someone, you can be.))

Once the party is caught up in the entangling vines, an attack force makes itself known, emerging from behind trees and bushes to land an assault on the party.

((This is a Surprise Attack round for the bad guys))

You see a female elf dressed in camouflage, just in time for her to fire a crossbow bolt toward Quintus's face.

D20 + 6 = Natural 1: Failure. However, in the darkness, apparently the shot was not as on-the-mark as it should have been against a non-moving target, and Quintus is left unscathed.

On the opposite end of the entangled area, a familiar-looking Tiefling female reveals herself, raises both hands, and four balls of white energy explode toward Sarm, dealing 13 damage.

"Leave the wizard alone, Elmina," she calls out toward the elf girl, "I rather enjoyed him last night. I'd like to keep him for myself."

"If we're to leave one alive," says a new female voice, this one belonging to a human, "Might as well be the wizard. Once we get that spellbook away from him, he'll be as helpless as a newborn babe." Dressed in leather armor and looking unusually buff for a woman, she has long, brown hair and a world-weary face, though she does not look old.
She charges into the entanglement, her movement somehow unimpeded, and brings a two-handed axe down upon Ivor.

d20 + 7 = Natural 1; failure. It seems to be the party's lucky day, as the axe is deflected away from Ivor by one of the vines and thuds into the ground.

On another side of the entanglement, a deer appears to morph into human form - female human form - and yells, "Oye, what's the matter with you lot?! I get them all tangled up and helpless, and you two can't hit the broad side of a barn!"

((Now we enter combat. Everyone make your Reflex save first, then your Initiative roll, then take your turn, keeping in mind the restrictions above. Remember that you are not impeded from making attacks or from casting spells, but Ivor, you have a hostile enemy right next to you. Oh, and if you try to attack from Prone position, you have a -4 for melee attack rolls. Questions? feel free to ask))

Mike M

Nick N
Code:
Reflex Check:  1d20 = 10 + 5 = 15
Initiative Check:  1d20 = 6 + 3 =9

An uncharacteristic stream of expletives flowing from his lips, Kaff leaps to his feet and narrowly evades the botanical embrace of the snaking vines that have erupted around him. His rapier sings as he whips it free of its scabbard, pivoting in a circle in a practiced fencing stance as they are beset upon by their ambushers.

He quickly analyzes the situation: The axe-wielding woman is the closest ((I presume, since she's in here with us and the other three are outside the area)), but has a distinct advantage in mysteriously being unaffected by the vines. Kaff quickly surmises their only chance to prevail is to escape the brambles, and probably to prioritize the apparent magic users. He assumes a defensive posture and prepares to chart his escape...

((Pretty sure I just did this correctly; passed the reflex check to avoid being caught, used my move action to stand, free action to draw my weapon in combination with my move action since it's not concealed and I have a base attack bonus is greater than +1. Since Ivor is the only one actually next to an opponent and I used my move action, I can't get near anyone else and have no ranged options. I can't do anything further of use, so I'm invoking total defense. That all correct?))

Code:
Reflex Check:  1d20 = 10 + 5 = 15
Initiative Check:  1d20 = 6 + 3 =9

An uncharacteristic stream of expletives flowing from his lips, Kaff leaps to his feet and narrowly evades the botanical embrace of the snaking vines that have erupted around him. His rapier sings as he whips it free of its scabbard, pivoting in a circle in a practiced fencing stance as they are beset upon by their ambushers.

He quickly analyzes the situation: The axe-wielding woman is the closest ((I presume, since she's in here with us and the other three are outside the area)), but has a distinct advantage in mysteriously being unaffected by the vines. Kaff quickly surmises their only chance to prevail is to escape the brambles, and probably to prioritize the apparent magic users. He assumes a defensive posture and prepares to chart his escape...

((Pretty sure I just did this correctly; passed the reflex check to avoid being caught, used my move action to stand, free action to draw my weapon in combination with my move action since it's not concealed and I have a base attack bonus is greater than +1. Since Ivor is the only one actually next to an opponent and I used my move action, I can't get near anyone else and have no ranged options. I can't do anything further of use, so I'm invoking total defense. That all correct?))

((All of that is correct, yes. On your next turn you'll be able to both escape the brambles and get close to any of the three attackers who are outside of the brambles, with a single move action. You could also Charge, which would give you +2 to attack at the expense of -2 AC that turn. For this turn, Total Defense adds +4 to your AC until your next turn, and you will be unable to take Opportunity Attacks until then.

Also, I forgot to specify that the spell which the Tiefling cast on Sarm was Magic Missile.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
Reflex: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  8 + 8 = 16
Initiative: 2 + 4 = 6

Woken by the vibrations of the earth to the sight of a charging axe wielding warrior, Ivor has a stroke of exceptionally well timed luck. Sitting up with a shock just as a cruel vine began to lash downwards at him, he avoids the grasping plant. This bizarre bit of nature also protects the rogue from his attacker's weapon and deflects it into the ground.

"Not today, little girl!"

((ThLunarian, I have an idea for what to do here but not how to do that mechanically. It's possible that Ivor uses his movement and attack to tackle the woman attacking him to the ground now she's disarmed. He has no strength bonus though.

Otherwise, Ivor can just leap up and use an attack of opportunity on her with his daggers? While looking really cool?))

((Mechanically, you could try a bull rush or a grapple, though it's important to note that she seems to be uncannily well-balanced even despite the fact that she missed her swing and is in the middle of vines. Basically I'm saying that your chance of success is small. Also, her axe may have struck the ground, but she didn't lose her grip on it.

However, since she rolled a 1, I will allow you to stand up without her taking an Opportunity Attack on you, and then you can also attack on the same turn, and if you hit, apply Sneak Attack damage.

Oh and for Quintus, none of them are standing close enough to each other for you to hit multiples with area effect spells. I thought that'd be important for you to know))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Mechanically, you could try a bull rush or a grapple, though it's important to note that she seems to be uncannily well-balanced even despite the fact that she missed her swing and is in the middle of vines. Basically I'm saying that your chance of success is small. Also, her axe may have struck the ground, but she didn't lose her grip on it.

However, since she rolled a 1, I will allow you to stand up without her taking an Opportunity Attack on you, and then you can also attack on the same turn, and if you hit, apply Sneak Attack damage.))

Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  19
Attack 1: 19 + 7 = 26 to-hit

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 1 time(s):  4
Rolling a 6-sided dice, 2 time(s):  6 3
Attack 1: 4 + 6 + 3 = 13 dmg sneak attack

With a wry smile, Ivor leaps up to his feet from his back ready to strike! Pulling a dagger from his holster and thrusting it at his assailant in one smooth motion, he attempts a sneak attack while his foe curses the rogue's dumb luck.

((Ed: Wait, did I crit!? 2x Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]... I used just one for the sneak attack bonus and got a 19 on to-hit... Do I double my damage roll of 4 in this case?))

((Ed: Wait, did I crit!? 2x Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]... I used just one for the sneak attack bonus and got a 19 on to-hit... Do I double my damage roll of 4 in this case?))

((Whenever you roll a possible Crit, the standard procedure is to roll again in an attempt to confirm the hit. If the confirmation roll would also hit the target's AC, then you scored a Critical Hit; if the confirmation roll would not hit its AC, the hit is just normal.

I went ahead and rolled to confirm your possible Crit, and it was only an 11 (4 on the die), so in this case it was just a normal hit. But, so you're aware, when you do score a Critical Hit, you double the number of dice rolled (and your strength modifier if you have one). So if you'd gotten a critical, you'd roll 2d6, rather than just rolling one and doubling it))

Quintus curses himself for allowing this to happen. He fortunately is able to escape entanglement and proceeds to move out of the spells aoe, drawing his crossbow as he moves, then casts charm person(DC 15) on the elf who fired at him, "How about you put that weapon down miss?"

Code:
Arcana: 1D20+14 => [ 8 ] +14 = 22
Reflex: 1D20+5 => [ 9 ] +5 = 14

((Bah, needed to sleep when the big post came. I have a lot of catching up to do.))

Code:
Reflex save: 1D20+3 => [ 15 ] +3 = 18
Initiative: 1D20+1 => [ 6 ] +1 = 7

Sarm is sprung awoke by the sound of the ground bustling around him, and the crickling of wood. As if he were still in a nightmare, he quickly grasps some of the vines with his hands to keep them from wrapping around him and pulls his legs away.

His vision is soon lit from the side, but is unable to actually see the lights before being blasted by them and knocked away. He 'gaaahs' loudly, feeling pain but not quite injured. It is clear that his lack of presence at the tavern was not appreciated.

He then stands up, takes his shield, and then casts Hold Person on the axe wielding foe.

The party is taken completely by surprise, but somehow all four of you are able to evade the grasp of the constricting vines and begin to move toward safety. The resulting confusion has allowed your attackers to act again, however, and a flurry of attacks come your way.

The axe-wielder, enraged by her target's good fortune, doubles back and hacks at him with even greater fervor than the first time; her axe strikes true this time (d20 + 9 = 25; hits), biting into Ivor's flesh (take 9 damage).

Meanwhile, the elven rogue standing on the edge of the brambles takes heed of her Tiefling companion's request, and sets the sights of her crossbow on Kaff (d20 + 6 = 23; hit). Since he has yet to act this round and is still somewhat flat-footed, she is able to strike a particularly wounding blow, dealing 10 damage.

The human druid (the one who had just transformed from a deer) appears to be casting a spell, but so far, nothing has happened yet.

Quintus's dear friend, the Tiefling, repeats her previous turn, casting Magic Missile to pile damage upon Sarm; he takes 7 damage.

By now, the party has finally gathered their wits about them, and is preparing retaliatory strikes. Sarm stands up and attempts to neutralize the closest threat; Hold Person does its job, and the barbarian-woman appears to freeze in place, her axe still held over her head and her face twisted in a fit of rage.

Quintus's spell also seems to hit home, as the elf looks at him in an entirely new light. "Lysa, I think I know what you saw in this one now..." She drops her crossbow.

Ivor, undeterred by the wound caused from his attacker's axe, leaps to action, uppercutting his frozen foe with his dagger as he rises and taking a good chunk out of her in the process.

Kaff, unable to reach any of the attackers who actually pose a threat just yet, takes a defensive stance and tries to get out of the brambles the best he can.

Finally, the druid's spell is complete, and it suddenly becomes apparent what she was doing, as a very large, very mean-looking bat appears in the middle of the party, conveniently hovering out of reach of the brambles.

((Begin Round 2; bad guys have initiative. After everyone has gone, I'll narrate. I will note that if Sarm want to cast a spell safely, he'll either have to first move out of the Dire Bat's reach, or make a Concentration Check with a DC equal to 15 plus the spell's level.))

Dire Bat attacks Ivor. d20 + 6 = 18 to hit; hits. Ivor takes 6 damage.

Elmina charges toward Quintus and attempts to grapple him. Touch Attack: d20 + 4 = 9, misses. It looks like she's trying to take him in her arms, but isn't actually trying to cause him any harm.

Lysa (the tiefling) casts Magic Missile on Sarm again, dealing 8 damage.

Barbarian Woman attempts to save against Hold Person and fails, remaining frozen in place (one round out of four has passed for this spell).

The Druid casts an Obscuring Mist spell, and a cloud of fog appears in a 20-foot radius around her, obscuring her from sight (you can still try to attack her, but you have a 50% miss chance from a distance, and a 20% miss chance if you're right next to her). The cloud doesn't extend to anyone else yet (unless you go toward it).

Your turn, guys!

((sorry, my dumb ass forgot to roll initiative...))

Code:
Initiative: 1D20+7 => [ 4 ] +7 = 11
((And got a crap roll. Just like everyone else it seems. Thankfully I realized the usefulness of improve initiative feat when I made my character.
Will probably edit my turn into this post later.))

Quintus says "Calm down miss. There will be plenty of time later, perhaps you could convince your friends to be a little nicer to my allies here?" then continues his attempts to move just close enough to cast color spray on the direbat, and possibly any other enemy who might be in range, with the exception of Elmina of course.

((here a cha roll in case you think what he said would be considered an 'order' for the charm person effect))
Code:
Cha Check: 1D20+1 => [ 12 ] +1 = 13

((Since it's relevant for the rest of you, Color Spray successfully hit the bat, which is now stunned and blinded. This means that it's denied its Dexterity bonus to AC, which also means that it automatically gets Sneak Attacked every time Ivor hits it. That's also true of the Barbarian Woman, who is frozen in place; you can't tell whether or not the Color Spray affected her yet))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Awesome move, DeadPhoenix. I was considering moving Ivor behind the barbarian to shield himself from the spray but that won't be necessary. Also he might have finished the barbarian off but the bat being open to lots of sneak attacks is very appealing.))

"Good, good.. But that mage, something must be done about that mage," Ivor yells as he struggles against the onslaught of the dire bat. "Kaff, fight with Sarm if you can!" In between the confused attacks of the blinded bat, he attempts to sidestep the beast and attack from an opening.

Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  10 + 4 = 14

Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  4
Attack 1: 4 + 7 = 11 to-hit

Rolling a 6-sided dice, 2 time(s):  1 5
Attack 1: 4 + 1 + 5 = 10 dmg sneak attack

((At least I am safe for this round, even if that missed. Weapon finesse miiight just score a hit?))

((Awesome move, DeadPhoenix. I was considering moving Ivor behind the barbarian to shield himself from the spray but that won't be necessary. Also he might have finished the barbarian off but the bat being open to lots of sneak attacks is very appealing.))

"Good, good.. But that mage, something must be done about that mage," Ivor yells as he struggles against the onslaught of the dire bat. "Kaff, fight with Sarm if you can!" In between the confused attacks of the blinded bat, he attempts to sidestep the beast and attack from an opening.

Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  10 + 4 = 14

Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  4
Attack 1: 4 + 7 = 11 to-hit

Rolling a 6-sided dice, 2 time(s):  1 5
Attack 1: 4 + 1 + 5 = 10 dmg sneak attack

((At least I am safe for this round, even if that missed. Weapon finesse miiight just score a hit?))

((You actually do hit on the nose with a 14, because the bat has no Dex bonus right now. Also don't forget to take your second attack; since you took the -2 on this one, you get the second one too. Also, if you hit on the second attack, you will Sneak Attack again.))

Mike M

Nick N
Code:
Initiative Check:  1d20 + 3 = 7

Kaff cries out as the crossbow bolt pierces his flesh.  With a hissing intake of breath, he tries to determine the extent of the damage and is satisfied that at least his movement and sword-arm are not impaired.  

Concurring with Ivor's judgement of the shape-changing druid woman to be the greatest immediate threat, he targets her accordingly.  

As he approaches his quarry, Kaff observes her for as long as he dares to take size up her movement and armor, hoping to discern a weak point that may be exploited before she is completely obscured from view by the swirling, unnatural mists.

Despite the pain coursing through him, a wry smile flits across his face as he waves a finger in admonishment.  "Three sleeping victims guarded by a single inattentive watchman, and still you manage to botch it up.  An ambush requires more than just the element of surprise, my dear, you need follow through.  Have at you."

Trusting in his calculations, estimates, Kaff strikes through her arcane obfuscation.  His rapier gleams in the firelight as he lunges forth to strike with as much precision as he can muster under the circumstances...

Code:
Attack:  1d20 + 7 =21
Damage:  1d6 + 6 = 8

((Not sure what mechanics would govern this, does her spell just raise the DC for a hit, or is there some separate check to make?))

Code:
Initiative Check:  1d20 + 3 = 7

Kaff cries out as the crossbow bolt pierces his flesh.  With a hissing intake of breath, he tries to determine the extent of the damage and is satisfied that at least his movement and sword-arm are not impaired.  

Concurring with Ivor's judgement of the shape-changing druid woman to be the greatest immediate threat, he targets her accordingly.  

As he approaches his quarry, Kaff observes her for as long as he dares to take size up her movement and armor, hoping to discern a weak point that may be exploited before she is completely obscured from view by the swirling, unnatural mists.

Despite the pain coursing through him, a wry smile flits across his face as he waves a finger in admonishment.  "Three sleeping victims guarded by a single inattentive watchman, and still you manage to botch it up.  An ambush requires more than just the element of surprise, my dear, you need follow through.  Have at you."

Trusting in his calculations, estimates, Kaff strikes through her arcane obfuscation.  His rapier gleams in the firelight as he lunges forth to strike with as much precision as he can muster under the circumstances...

Code:
Attack:  1d20 + 7 =21
Damage:  1d6 + 6 = 8

((Not sure what mechanics would govern this, does her spell just raise the DC for a hit, or is there some separate check to make?))

((It's a separate check that I'll take care of. I'm going to use a Percentage Die; 1-20 will be a miss, and 21-100 will be a hit. I just rolled a 63, so you will connect here))

Sarm takes a five foot step away from the bat, and then casts Cure Moderate Wounds on himself, taking an opportunity to get himself back to speed while the others help keep the foes occupied.

Code:
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2D8+4 => [ 3 +6 ] +4 = 13

((I'll roll Ivor's second attack right now to move things along. d20 + 4 = 12; hits. I forgot that blind creatures get an additional -4 to AC after losing the Dex bonus. 3d6 damage = 11.))

The freshly-summoned Dire Bat wastes no time in going after the nearest target it can see, which happens to be Ivor; Ivor attempts to dodge, to no avail, and the bat sinks its teeth into him. Lysa continues her sustained assault on Sarm with another round of Magic Missiles, while the druid-woman takes some defensive precautions and surrounds herself with a vision-obscuring fog.

Elmina charges toward Quintus after dropping her weapon, shouting, "My love! Come to me, so that we may make love under the stars!" and attempts to take him into her arms; the vines make her clumsy, and Quintus is easily able to sidestep her embrace. After hearing his reply, however, she heeds his words and calls out to her companions, "Stop! We must stop the assault! We can't risk upsetting the Love of my Life!"

Quintus extends his arm toward the bat, and a dizzying array of colors erupts forth, covering the eyes of the creature; it shrieks in displeasure and falls abruptly to the ground, stunned by the spell and unable to flap its wings. Although the frozen barbarian woman is also caught in the blast, she appears unaffected by it.

Ivor takes advantage of the bat's sudden and unexpected ailment, slashing twice at key spots on the creature and critically wounding it, though it is still alive.

As Sarm takes a moment to rejuvenate himself from Lysa's onslaught, Kaff charges headlong into the mist, undeterred by its hazy visage, and manages to strike true through the obfuscation, stabbing the druid-girl somewhere in the abdomen with his rapier.

((Begin Round 3:

Barbarian-Woman attempts to save vs Hold Person and fails again (turn 2 out of 4)

Dire Bat is stunned and can take no action, remaining prone on the thorny ground.

Elmina charges toward Lysa and tries to grab her. d20 + 6 = 13 to touch; hits. Opposed Grapple check for Elmina: d20 + 4 = 22; check for Lysa, d20 + 3 = 10. Elmina has successfully grappled Lysa.

Lysa tries to throw Elmina off of her, and is unsuccessful (I rolled it, but I won't bother posting all the rolls); the two are still engaged in a grapple.

Druid-Girl transforms into a Large-sized Brown Bear and attempts to grapple Kaff. I will make all the rolls for this to save time:
-Kaff gets an Opportunity Attack as the creature lunges forward. d20 + 7 = Natural 1; fail.
-The creature attempts to touch Kaff. d20 + 6 = 15 to touch. Percentage roll = 33; attack succeeds.
-Bear's Opposed Grapple check: d20 + 10 = 22.
-Kaff's Escape Artist check to oppose the grapple: d20 + 10 = 28; Kaff escapes the grapple attempt and is free to act on his turn.

Whew! That's everyone. You guys are up!))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Dude I was rolling! Can't I keep this? And dagger damage rolls are 1d4))

((You actually do hit on the nose with a 14, because the bat has no Dex bonus right now. Also don't forget to take your second attack; since you took the -2 on this one, you get the second one too. Also, if you hit on the second attack, you will Sneak Attack again.))

((Alright, that's a deal.))

Code:
[URL="http://i.imgur.com/MlAV0.png"]Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  20[/URL]
[URL="http://i.imgur.com/JYVYf.png"]Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  19[/URL]
Attack 2: 20 + 7 - 2 = 25 to-hit (crit, 19 confirm)

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  3 1
Rolling a 6-sided dice, 2 time(s):  4 6
Attack 2: 3 + 4 + 6 = 13 dmg sneak attack
Critical: 1 dmg

Sensing a prime opportunity, Ivor capitalises on the dire bat's confusion by striking with his second dagger while it is distracted with his first and almost missed attack.

((Dude I was rolling! Can't I keep this? And dagger damage rolls are 1d4))

((Alright, that's a deal.))

Code:
[URL="http://i.imgur.com/MlAV0.png"]Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  20[/URL]
[URL="http://i.imgur.com/JYVYf.png"]Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  19[/URL]
Attack 2: 20 + 7 - 2 = 25 to-hit (crit, 19 confirm)

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  3 1
Rolling a 6-sided dice, 2 time(s):  4 6
Attack 2: 3 + 4 + 6 = 13 dmg sneak attack
Critical: 1 dmg

Sensing a prime opportunity, Ivor capitalises on the dire bat's confusion by striking with his second dagger while it is distracted with his first and almost missed attack.

((Sorry about that, i didn't realize you were so close behind. I'll alter the result of your second attack to match the Crit that you just rolled. Now go ahead and take your turn for Round 3 :)

Mike M

Nick N
Code:
Initiative check:  1d20 + 3 = 21

Kaff sports a smirk of satisfaction as he withdraws his rapier from his foe after landing a successful stab.  Between the unsure footing and obstructed visibility, he was unable to put as much force behind the blow as he had hoped, but a touch is a touch.

His trumped-up swagger dissipates  as the druid woman undergoes metamorphosis into the largest animal Kaff has ever laid eyes on.  "Well that certainly counts as follow through," he mutters.

He has enough wits about him to try and strike as the massive she-bear charges, but between the blood loss and multiple other handicaps, he misses miserably and finds himself caught in the carrion-breathed embrace of the heavily muscled predator's form.

Fortunately, his previous blow seems to have impaired her at least in part, as he manages to slip through her arms.  He attempts to thrust his rapier up through her diaphragm into her thoracic cavity and prays he perforates something vital...

Code:
Attack:  1d20 + 7 = 27 (Natural 20)
Confirming critical:  1d20 + 7 = 20
Damage:  2d6 + 6 = 18

((Holy shit!  Pleeeeeease tell me that the automatic hit supersedes her mist shit, I might just cry if I miss, that's some maximum damage output right there...  Also, did I do the damage right?  It's two dice + my modifier, not 1 die + modifier twice, right?  Not that I would complain about another 6 points of damage...))

Top Bottom