• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Eid-Mubarak-2016-Best-Eid-Wishes-Quotes-Arabic-2016-5-1.jpg

Eid Mubarak.

FAQ. ASK RUSTY.

FAQ will be built up in this thread. And I'll post as is here.

Do people usually loose weight during ramadan? Just curious

Gaffers tend to report both - some lose weight, some gain weight. I'll look it up and see if there is research to back this up in the coming days.

What is the importance of Ramadan?

The Quran was revealed in this month. Fasting is the fourth of the five pillars of Islam. And it has Laylat al-Qadr - the holiest night in the year. #25

Who came up with the title? The Artisan

Who drew the Calligraphy? proama

Excellent title lol

Ramadan Kareem to everyone!
رمَضَان كريم

Sch1sm

Ramadan Kareem~

Why not just grab the FAQ from last years thread in the meantime?

I do. Every time. I gain it back afterward. It's mostly because my appetite dies, so I eat even less. Kid you not I can survive the day on nothing more than a muffin and tea for breakfast.

last year I

-barely touched the Qur'an.
-missed zuhr more than a couple of times.
-got a little depressed.
-went to go see inside out during my fast.
-bought a ps vita for $106.
-did a full 20 tarabis for maybe, 8 nights or less.
-fluctuated around 145 pounds.
-killed at least 5 spiders.

Corpsepyre

Banned
last year I

-barely touched the Qur'an.
-missed zuhr more than a couple of times.
-got a little depressed.
-went to go see inside out during my fast.
-bought a ps vita for $106.
-did a full 20 tarabis for maybe, 8 nights or less.
-fluctuated around 145 pounds.
-killed at least 5 spiders.

YOU FILTH!

NEO0MJ

A revered and spiritual month for Muslims meant for getting closer to god by dedicating yourself to acting, reading the Quran, etc. Not that it's what happens with most, but that's the goal.

I think people tend to over eat in Ramadan so most likely the opposite lol

It's not just that people eat a lot, it's that they eat a lot at once and do almost nothing all day, or at least that's how it is where I live :p

Sch1sm

1. It's a pillar of Islam, similar to a commandment.
2. The Qur'an was first revealed during the month of Ramadan.
3. The Night of Power (Laylat al Qadr) is during this month. It occurs during the last 10 odd days of Ramadan, and is when the first verses of the Qur'an (read above) were sent down.
4. The gates of heaven are open & Hell closed/demons shackled, what have you.
5. Atone for the sins of the past year through fasting. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Have a look at last years OP for more right here.

Ramadan Kareem everyone. We start tomorrow.

I always gain weight during Ramadan since I always tend to over eat when breaking fast.

Kisaya

Ramadan Kareem Muslim GAF! Thought I would be ready this year to start fasting again but most likely will not participate. Wishing the best for everyone this month!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not religious, but my family is. So just like every year I'll be joining them, it isn't that hard and having a nice meal at the end of the day with the whole family is just great.

Plus I could lose some weight, put on a lot of weight these past few weeks.

This is why we need FAQ gents! Reposting from last year:

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint - Quran 2:183
Here is Colorado State University website to help out with the details

What is Ramadan?

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. The much-anticipated start of the month is based on a combination of physical sightings of the moon and astronomical calculations. The practice varies from place to place, some places relying heavily on sighting reports and others totally on calculations. In the United States, most communities follow the decision of the Islamic Society of North America, which accepts bonafide sightings of the new moon anywhere in the United States as the start of the new month. The end of the month, marked by the celebration of 'Eid-ul-Fitr, is similarly determined.

Why is Ramadan special?

Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives. There are as many meanings of Ramadan as there are Muslims.

The third "pillar" or religious obligation of Islam, fasting has many special benefits. Among these, the most important is that it is a means of learning self-control. Due to the lack of preoccupation with the satisfaction of bodily appetites during the daylight hours of fasting, a measure of ascendancy is given to one's spiritual nature, which becomes a means of coming closer to God. Ramadan is also a time of intensive worship, reading of the Qur'an, giving charity, purifying one's behavior, and doing good deeds.

As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence.

Who Fasts in Ramadan?

While voluntary fasting is recommended for Muslims, during Ramadan fasting becomes obligatory. Sick people, travelers, and women in certain conditions are exempted from the fast but must make it up as they are able. Perhaps fasting in Ramadan is the most widely practiced of all the Muslim forms of worship.
What are the requirements of fasting during Ramadan?
The daily period of fasting starts at the breaking of dawn and ends at the setting of the sun. In between -- that is, during the daylight hours -- Muslims totally abstain from food, drink, smoking, and marital sex. The usual practice is to have a pre-fast meal (suhoor) before dawn and a post-fast meal (iftar) after sunset.

Last 10 days of Ramadan

The last ten days of Ramadan are a time of special spiritual power as everyone tries to come closer to God through devotions and good deeds. The night on which the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to the Prophet, known as the Night of Power (Lailat ul-Qadr), is generally taken to be the 27th night of the month. The Qur'an states that this night is better than a thousand months. Therefore many Muslims spend the entire night in prayer.

During the month, Muslims try to read as much of the Qur'an as they can. Most try to read the whole book at least once. Some spend part of their day listening to the recitation of the Qur'an in a mosque.
Food!!
Since Ramadan is a special time, Muslims in many parts of the world prepare certain favorite foods during this month.

It is a common practice for Muslims to break their fast at sunset with dates (iftar), following the custom of Prophet Muhammad. This is followed by the sunset prayer, which is followed by dinner. Since Ramadan emphasizes community aspects and since everyone eats dinner at the same time, Muslims often invite one another to share in the Ramadan evening meal.

Some Muslims find that they eat less for dinner during Ramadan than at other times due to stomach contraction. However, as a rule, most Muslims experience little fatigue during the day since the body becomes used to the altered routine during the first week of Ramadan.
Let the journey begin.
Ramadan 2015
Ramadan 2014
Ramadan 2013

ramadhan kareem everyone...
hopefully i will wake up in time for suhur a lot more days compared to last year.... >.> <.< >.> <.<
also, my last ramadhan in yurop land, then i'll be back in asia land for the rest of my life....
definitely won't miss fasting during summer :^)

Majmun

I'm not religious, but my family is. So just like every year I'll be joining them, it isn't that hard and having a nice meal at the end of the day with the whole family is just great.

Same here. I love the atmosphere and it brings the families together.

Plus I could lose some weight, put on a lot of weight these past few weeks.

A lot of people actually put weight on during ramadan.

Yo this is hard. 3.30 to 9.40. May god help us. We will try our best. I generally am 2-3 kg lighter.

Remeber everyone in dua. Dont forget zakat.

It's mixed results in my view/experience. People tend to eat lot of fatty and fried foods during Iftar (the breaking of fast meal...Samosas are a traditional favorite), and just binge on food through the night.People also tend to "load up" in Suhoor, or the pre-fast meal.

I tend to lose maybe 5-8 lbs around this time. But that's because I try not to eat fried stuff when I can or eat in small amounts.

Kisaya

How come?

It's just something I'm not ready for mentally and spiritually. I'm prioritizing other things over religion and I'm just not comfortable fasting with that in mind.

I might participate by preparing food that my parents used to make for me during Ramadan.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. I love the atmosphere and it brings the families together.

A lot of people actually put weight on during ramadan.

Ha, suckers!!!

Yeah some of my friends did last year as well, then again they stuff their faces with pretty much anything they can find once they are able to eat. I drink a lot of water and don't eat that much and am active during the day, so for me it is a great month to lose some weight. Then again I lose/gain weight easily so there is that.

Sch1sm

Yo this is hard. 3.30 to 9.40. May god help us. We will try our best.

Remeber everyone in dua. Dont forget zakat.

Managed to escape those hours this year since I'm in Kenya and not Toronto until past Eid. Just 5:15AM-6:40PM roughly. Easiest time I've had in a while.

Yo this is hard. 3.30 to 9.40
Truly hard mode in YEARS. I'm overseas for the next week (motherland). Next year the fasts will begin to shorten (but only by a minute or two lol) because the lunar calendar crawls up into the gregorian summer instead of being smack in the middle.

T-Rex.

Banned
Definitely extreme difficulty this year. I haven't had a chance to go over the timetable properly, but over here I think it's from 2:30 til 9:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom