• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare and crazy historical photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onlookers from a Las Vegas pool witness a nuclear bomb being detonated 73 miles away. Taken in 1953.

CsQzTlQWcAAdCBI.jpg

This is why I don't drink the water here in Las Vegas. Still trying to figure out how not to shower in it...

That picture is cool as hell.

Osahi

My great grandfather and (I assume) my great grandmother imposed on the top left, in uniform with decorations posing after the Great War in which he fought at the Yser river in Belgium. The picture is clearly painted over with some colors to highlight the decorations. I took this with my smartphone camera, as the picture is in a frame in my office. My parents have his bayonet and a honorary frame with all his medals in the living room, which I hope to inherit one day.

I don't know any stories about him though (nor about my grandfather in WWII, who was taken prisonor and was shipped of to a German factory for forced labour). My dad only knows that every time the war was brought up, my great grandfather started crying. Not sure how much action he saw, as the Belgian sector of the front was pretty calm compared to the british sector around Ypres, as with the flooding of the Yser river the lines of both armies were usually pretty far from each other and no man's land impossible to cross. I do know he served for the entire war, and on his honorary plaque they mention the battle of the Yser from october 1914 as one he servered in, so I assume he fought when the war was still mobile. I should look his military records up, because it fascinates me a lot...

Just popping by to say that this thread is incredible.

I also HATE colorized photographs. The colors people use always make the photographs look like old Disney movies -- not true to what they actually look like. It's awful and I can't look at them.

Dai101

Banned
I looked it up on Wikipedia. That is one of the most horrific stories I have read :(

I cannot even start to imagine how much that boy has suffered before he died.

Just remember, when people say "make america great again" they're thinking of those times.

Battersea Powerstation in 1934 before the second half was built.

Battersea_Power_Station,_1934_with_only_two_chimneys_(Our_Generation,_1938).jpg

yPvDxxX.jpg

201? .. Oh dear..

battersea_2.jpg

Love me some Art-Deco

Ainsz

Just remember, when people say "make america great again" they're thinking of those times.

Love me some Art-Deco

It is a fantastic looking building.

If you didn't care what happened to me, and I didn't care for you, we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain, occasionally glancing up through the rain, wondering which of the buggers to blame... and watching for pigs on the wing.

You know that I care what happens to you
And I know that you care for me too
So I don't feel alone
Of the weight of the stone
Now that I've found somewhere safe
To bury my bone
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing

Travo

If you didn't care what happened to me, and I didn't care for you, we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain, occasionally glancing up through the rain, wondering which of the buggers to blame... and watching for pigs on the wing.

I was waiting on this. Damn, beautiful song.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sadly I don't have anything to contribute at this time, but I hope this thread stays alive with updates. I absolutely adore it.

That Jesse Washington case makes me sick to my stomach. Humanity is trash.

Tugatrix

My great grandfather and (I assume) my great grandmother imposed on the top left, in uniform with decorations posing after the Great War in which he fought at the Yser river in Belgium. The picture is clearly painted over with some colors to highlight the decorations. I took this with my smartphone camera, as the picture is in a frame in my office. My parents have his bayonet and a honorary frame with all his medals in the living room, which I hope to inherit one day.

I don't know any stories about him though (nor about my grandfather in WWII, who was taken prisonor and was shipped of to a German factory for forced labour). My dad only knows that every time the war was brought up, my great grandfather started crying. Not sure how much action he saw, as the Belgian sector of the front was pretty calm compared to the british sector around Ypres, as with the flooding of the Yser river the lines of both armies were usually pretty far from each other and no man's land impossible to cross. I do know he served for the entire war, and on his honorary plaque they mention the battle of the Yser from october 1914 as one he servered in, so I assume he fought when the war was still mobile. I should look his military records up, because it fascinates me a lot...

Maybe you could search their records, I believe those documents are public and can be researched

LordOfChaos

That man really was a piece of shit. When I learned about this years ago, I listened to "the death tape". Its a recording of the final moments in Jonestown. I'm only linking this because of its historical significance and relevance to this post. Its an audiotape recording of 900 people dying including children so be warned that it is disturbing. One woman tries to argue with him about what is about to happen and is shut down by everyone. Its hard to listen to but the audio really made this whole thing more real to me.

Warning: disturbing audio of Jonestown mass murder/suicide
https://archive.org/details/ptc1978-11-18.flac16

Absolutely mind reeling, how one mans cult of personality could convince mothers and fathers, in mass, to poison their kids.

131115160349-08-jonestown-massacre-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Joe

ppWqrn2.jpg

1905 World Series, New York Giants vs. Philadelphia Athletics at the Polo Grounds in uptown Manhattan. No outfield wall and horse-drawn carriages.

Credit

Loxley

While giving a speech to the press at the opening of a photography gallery in the city of Ankara, Turkey, the Russian ambassador to Turkey - Andrei Karlov - is assassinated by 22 year-old Turkish policeman Mevlut Mert Altintas in protest of Russia's role in the conflict in Syria and the destruction of Aleppo. Moments after the shooting he began to shout in Turkish and Arabic about the Syrian war while pacing around Karlov's body. Altintas was shot dead at the scene by Turkish police.

lSLbJtG.jpg

The photograph was taken by Associated Press photographer Burhan Ozbilici.

From the BBC:

"I was, of course, fearful and knew of the danger if the gunman turned toward me," Ozbilici wrote on a widely shared blog, posted by AP after the incident.

He also wrote of watching a life that "disappeared before my eyes".

"People screamed, hid behind columns and under tables and lay on the floor. I was afraid and confused, but found partial cover behind a wall and did my job: taking photographs."

Perhaps even more chilling is this photo which Ozbilici took moments before the shooting, which shows Karlov's assassin calmly standing behind him:

YEhyZL5.jpg

JordanN

Banned
Maybe not rare, but I came across this picture of Hitler without his hat during the final days of the war. It makes him look less intimidating, and more of just a really old and sick person.

qtWDVgn.jpg

And now here is purportedly the last picture of Hitler alive. Standing outside his destroyed bunker.

0qA08rG.jpg

qhyKIDp.jpg

Jasper

Armenian-American singer Cher sitting on top of a knocked down statue of Lenin in Armenia following the collapse of the Soviet Union (which Armenia was a member of)....

342022fbc96b46b8a7bcf8aa78960c70.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
not rare but historical

Frederic Chopin

220px-Frederic_Chopin_photo.jpeg

it is the only known picture of the famous polish composer and was taken months before the composer's death, year 1849, that is almost 168 years ago.... yeah.

we also have fellow star pianist Franz Liszt

franliszt_2816.png

he lived much longer though, so there are several pics of him around.

bman94

not rare but historical

Frederic Chopin

220px-Frederic_Chopin_photo.jpeg

it is the only known picture of the famous polish composer and was taken months before the composer's death, year 1849, that is almost 168 years ago.... yeah.

we also have fellow star pianist Franz Liszt

franliszt_2816.png

he lived much longer though, so there are several pics of him around.

Wow, it just occurred to me that I've listened to several of their pieces during my music history classes but I've never seen how they look.

A Native American overlooking the newly completed transcontinental railroad in 1868.

historical-photos-pt3-native-railroad-overlook.jpg

Fidel Castro lays a wreath at the Lincoln Memorial.

awesome_photos_collected_from_history_03.jpg

Archduke Franz Ferdinand with his wife on the day they were assassinated in 1914,
an event that helped spark World War I.

historical-photos-pt4-archduke-franz-ferdinand-with-wife.jpg

Child laborers in 1880.

awesome_photos_collected_from_history_18.jpg

Albert Einstein's office, photographed on the day of his death.

historical-photos-pt5-einsteins-office-death-day.jpg

This is believed to be the last picture taken of Titanic before her sinking.

historical-photos-rare-pt2-last-photo-of-the-titanic.jpg

The unbroken seal on King Tut's tomb.

rare-photos-unbroken-seal-ofking-tut-tomb.jpg

Henry Ford (the founder of Ford Motor Co.), Thomas Edison (inventor of the phonograph, motion picture camera and the practical light bulb), Warren G. Harding (29th president of USA) and Harvey Samuel Firestone (founder of Firestone Tire and Rubber Co.) lounging together.

rare-photos-henry-ford-thomas-edison-warren-harding-harvey-firestone.jpg

Hitler's bunker.

rare-photos-hitlers-bunker-underground.jpg

Bread and soup during the Great Depression.

awesome_photos_collected_from_history_22.jpg

An airman being captured by Vietnamese civilians in Truc Bach Lake, Hanoi in 1967
The airman is John McCain.

awesome_photos_collected_from_history_19.jpg

does it freak anyone else out looking at pics of people long gone? i can almost imagine them alive.. yet they've been a pile of bones for a long time. those depression era guys eating soup and bread.. they were once just as alive as we are right now, right there in that picture. but in reality they're just gone forever and forgotten.

freaky.

also that Las Vegas nuclear test photo.. what really strikes me is the contrast between those old timey carriages in the background and the nuclear explosion. we are one weird species for sure.

Mascot

Henry Ford (the founder of Ford Motor Co.), Thomas Edison (inventor of the phonograph, motion picture camera and the practical light bulb), Warren G. Harding (29th president of USA) and Harvey Samuel Firestone (founder of Firestone Tire and Rubber Co.) lounging together.

rare-photos-henry-ford-thomas-edison-warren-harding-harvey-firestone.jpg

Ah, the Rittenhouse mob.

F!ReW!Re

Keep coming back to this thread, looking at most of these pictures really makes me wish for a time machine (except the horrible ones ofcourse).

And especially with those pictures from Asia where it looks like a completely different world not even that long ago.

does it freak anyone else out looking at pics of people long gone? i can almost imagine them alive.. yet they've been a pile of bones for a long time. those depression era guys eating soup and bread.. they were once just as alive as we are right now, right there in that picture. but in reality they're just gone forever and forgotten.

freaky.

also that Las Vegas nuclear test photo.. what really strikes me is the contrast between those old timey carriages in the background and the nuclear explosion. we are one weird species for sure.
Yeah, by that time there were elctron microscopes and satellites and spacecrafts and yet cancer was incurable, computers were the size of a small car, cars were shit...

Not rare but this thread had for a long time been a good thread about history photographs in general. Also it's best that people use an image hoster like imgur so we don't get dead links as we already have.

Nazi Germany's official declaration of war with the U.S.

Original photo of Lenin and Trotsky.

"Eastern Legion" soldiers of the Wehrmacht.
vo6WjAm.jpg

Moosichu

Found some nice old pictures of one of my local villages.

I can't find the years of these though. Some in the gallery ar definitely pre-1914 though, like this, (look at the URL).

Compared with the one on Wikipedia

More can be found here:

http://www.goudhurst.co.uk/Pages/photo_gallery.html

Wikipedia article on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goudhurst

Hardly the most exciting place in the world, but it's interesting to see how even those change with time. And it's quite obsure as well.

EDIT:

This is quite a nice photo of the old local fire engine:

����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom