• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

lmao

Yeah, the massive upgrade to lighting, effects, shaders, resolution, post processing, reflections, textures, and geometry detail amounts to "not much different than the first game."

Sometimes I wonder if people who make comments like this have even seen screenshots of the game they're comparing to in the last three or four years. Ratchet and Clank was good looking on PS3, that's what you remember. But the reality is its quite dated looking compared to this new game.

The trolls are out in full force today, just odd it is Ratchet that seems to have brought them out. It clearly looks amazing and way ahead of anything on ps3.

JP

They made Into the Nexus and that was very much in the vein of the original games.
Resistance 3 -> Into the Nexus -> Sunset Overdrive -> R&C: TGBotMBotG

Seem to be on a roll to me
Yep, Into The nexus also played like the early games unlike Insomniac's previous three Ratchet & Clank games (Full Frontal Assault, All 4 One & Deadlocked) which were the ones that they attempted to change the core gameplay that had worked so well earlier on.

Pretty sure that neither Resistance or Sunset Overdrive are considered to be a part of the Ratchet & Clank series. Or, to put it another way...
After a worrying few years where Insomniac wanted to "try something new" with the series it's a relief to see that this seems to play just like the earlier games.

FATALITY

Banned
This still looks boring, knowing I never understood how this series could get praised.

image.php

Mother of fucking shit.

I know people have thrown the "ratchet on PS3 is like playing a Pixar movie, hee hee!"

But fuck that.

You are literally playing a CG animated feature with this. Holy crap. HOW are they only charging $40 bucks for this? I almost feel guilty. Maybe I'll buy two copies and gift it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Glad to hear that some people actually do ask and not just post it without authorisation like others do, good for you :)
We certainly didn't get the the green light to post it here in France. I guess we'll ask again!

yeah, keep in mind some outlets got pure playthroughs in person last week that are not the same as the b-roll.

honestly we're focused on this right now and the film. What might come next is anyone's guess.

I also don't think this blows away the rest of the continuity either, it's kind of a new take on the origins.

Ah, ok.

Rest of continuity is not wiped, which is good. :)

Reimagening first game is good idea for the movie, since it brings new audience for the series. I was just worried if this was gonna make series do a full reboot, which I would have found more lame.

Good luck working on the game!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yo is Ratchet Tidus?

while most of the hardcore fans know this, James Arnold Taylor wasn't Ratchet in the first game, he started in Going Commando and has been Ratchet ever since.

So this is the first time you'll get the origin story with the voice who has been behind Ratchet for 12 years now.

Gleethor

I'm conflicted about the price tag. On one hand it'll help the game sell more and I'll get it for cheaper. On the other hand I don't like setting the expectation that cartoony games should be cheaper simply because of their art style, especially when this game doesn't look to be light on content and is far more than simple remaster. Like, how is this the same price as the God of War 3 remaster?

Tsunamo

It's like Tools of Destructions reveal all over again! Beautiful visuals that blow me away.

Can't wait to get my hands on this, been wanting my Ratchet fix again and this will most definitely scratch it, a shame it's gonna be a long wait.

boingball

Day 1 purchase.

I hope it sells well enough that we get a new game down the line as well, though I am sceptical. The movie will bomb and the game will not sell well as a consequence of that (since Sony's marketing for games is abysmal).

The trolls are out in full force today, just odd it is Ratchet that seems to have brought them out. It clearly looks amazing and way ahead of anything on ps3.

Some of them might not be trolls but remembering the PS3 games with nostalgia glasses on.
It is a hell of a drug when thinking about how past games look lol

Whoa...E3 really does start early this year. And not just for hype, but games I'm actually buying. UC collection and Ratchet Remake are day one! and that $40 price tag!

Hnnghh..

this game looks like the CG cutscenes from the PS3 games. The few there were, but thats about where it is at to me.

The IQ is damn good. The little details on everything like the antenna of Crank being lit from the inside and shit like that just adds to much to the overall scene. Much better lighting, much better shadow work, etc. etc. etc.

Game looks phenomenal. Met my expectations and then some.

Kambing

I'm conflicted about the price tag. On one hand it'll help the game sell more and I'll get it for cheaper. On the other hand I don't like setting the expectation that cartoony games should be cheaper simply because of their art style, especially when this game doesn't look to be light on content and is far more than simple remaster. Like, how is this the same price as the God of War 3 remaster?

Really puts into perspective how seemingly overpriced the God of War 3 remaster is (from what i have seen anyway...) compared to this.

occelinho

Never played Ratchet and Clank before, but thanks to those videos it got my full attention now!

It's not only the graphics, which do look great, but I totally dig the gameplay, setting and pretty much everything!

I just ordered the R&C trilogy for ps3.

Top Bottom