• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

Three

I never said Sony was being generous either. This is just the reality for the market for these games and well Sony's strategy is definitely not helping. The way they have handled some of theses series is very poor, to the extent they managed to get Insomniac themselves to move away from them after making PlayStation games exclusively for 15 years.

They didn't "move away from them" because of pricing games low, before they just had no reason to develop for other platforms because the PS1 and PS2 dominated sales so they stuck with making their popular franchises with Sony. Near the end of the PS3 gen they started making their own IPs and continued to develop the R&C they make with Sony. It has nothing to do with pricing.

Theonik

They didn't "move away from them" because of pricing games low, before they just had no reason to develop for other platforms because the PS1 and PS2 dominated sales so they stuck with making their popular franchises with Sony. Near the end of the PS3 gen they started making their own IPs and continued to develop the R&C they make with Sony. It has nothing to do with pricing.
I didn't say it was just because of pricing. Sony had been un-supportive in general

Interesting, I understand what your saying regarding programming resources but I'm not sure toning down the graphics would effect graphics scores too much, I personally believe that a 'feel' of a game, even subconsciously is much much more important than a few extra effects, especially in a platforming game, games that do this very well like Mario, Super Meat boy for example make the game feel extremely satisfying to play, I honestly think there should be a study done on this, I think it's much more important than a lot of people realize, something that maybe even contributes to a game getting better reviews without actually acknowledging it or being fully aware of it.

For me gaming is all about how it feels, that is very important to me, much more important than graphics, because unlike a movie for example I'm in control of a game and if you make that feel good I'll keep coming back.

A few extra effects is being really simple about it man. You clearly don't quite get what you can possibly squeeze out of a 30FPS game. It's not just a couple extra effects. It's massive improvements to the entire rendering system in all available areas. 60FPS is a very hard target to hit on the CPU and GPU of the PS4. This thing would look like a PS3 game upscaled at 60FPS and to be frank I didn't buy my PS4 for PS3 upscales. I have a PC when I need my 60FPS fix. Porting this will be only so much easier because all they have to do is increase to 60FPS really.

hesido

A few extra effects is being really simple about it man. You clearly don't quite get what you can possibly squeeze out of a 30FPS game. It's not just a couple extra effects. It's massive improvements to the entire rendering system in all available areas. 60FPS is a very hard target to hit on the CPU and GPU of the PS4. This thing would look like a PS3 game upscaled at 60FPS and to be frank I didn't buy my PS4 for PS3 upscales. I have a PC when I need my 60FPS fix. Porting this will be only so much easier because all they have to do is increase to 60FPS really.

And you are under-estimating the potential of the consoles. Battlefield 4 and Ground Zeroes all managed to look better AND work at 60fps or at least close to it most of the time, and they were first iterations on the console.

Surely they would have to scale down things compared to this, but "This thing would look like a PS3 game"??

And you are under-estimating the potential of the consoles. Battlefield 4 and Ground Zeroes all managed to look better AND work at 60fps or at least close to it most of the time, and they were first iterations on the console.

Surely they would have to scale down things compared to this, but "This thing would look like a PS3 game"??

Ground Zeroes does not look much better than a PS3 game running higher res/fps. It's a great looking game for sure but you can clearly see the last-gen aspects of it. This on the other hand is a clear step up from Tools of Destruction and even Into the Nexus and could not be accomplished last-gen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
tumblr_nd3digMgkO1ts63ovo1_500.gif

My body is ready! So hyped for Ratchet and Clank PS4! Looks fantastic!

Is Rachet doing the Dougie?!

O_O

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

I obviously didn't mean that literary regarding a few effects, my general point was more about how important I believe framerate is to the 'feel' of a game, particularly one like this that involves quick movements and platforming, personally I would rather have the game running at a lower resolution @ 60fps., why didn't Nintendo choose to bling out MK8 with better graphics rather than sticking to 60FPS?, because they value 'gameplay' more imo, Nintendo understand how important the feel of a game is. End of the day Insomniac are saving money and time because they obviously feel trying to obtain 60fps is just heading down a road of diminishing returns, I disagree that's all.

Get more hyped by the day. Sunset overdrive was fun but felt a little lazy in design due to open world. Nice to see them making a more linear game again

Zomba13

Looks great. I really enjoyed the first Ratchet and the second but kinda trailed off because by the time I started playing them there were already a billion entries and I felt like if I was to play any more I'd have to commit to them all.

a couple months ago I was playing Ratchet Collection, still on the first game but seeing this makes me want to wait to play this one and continue lol. edit, I dont even have a PS4 lol

The Ratchet games are really good.

I'm wondering how much of a dick Ratchet will be in this. He was almost unbearable in R&C, but it made the resolution between him and Clank — and his development in the sequels — all the more meaningful.

Is Rachet doing the Dougie?!

O_O

Clank be like "Ratchet," [yeah?]
"Can you help me find Captain Quark?"
You know why?
'Cause I'm always puttin' in work! [ayyyyy]
All I need are some weapons, real offensive
And for Streis-sen-bur-gen to train me real exstensive

Is this a 2016 title solely due to the movie?
:(

Yup.

It's not all bad though.

While you might have to wait a bit longer than expected, rest assured we’re using the time wisely to further polish the game to a spit-shine level, with dazzling shader response, awe-inspiring effects, velvety smooth animations, and spectacular new gameplay segments. Really, we can’t wait to show it to you

Top Bottom