• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

Wiggy

Had a few looks at this now and its made me want to purchase some of the older ones, should I go for the Trilogy on the Vita and miss All 4 one?

I played through the trilogy on vita, had a blast.

That's good then. I'm a bit sick of the obviously incorrect exchange rate RRPs which have been cropping up.

Yeah we've been getting screwed lately, have to really shop around to get a half decent price.

AmusedIllGuineapig.gif

Ayy they gettin down

We can see in the top right that there is a raritanium counter, which means it will probably be used for special weapon upgrades like in ItN. It's supposedly a successor to that system so there might be more to it.

Wiggy

Confusing title.... is it a reboot, remake, or an HD port?

A sort of remake/reboot/re-imagining. The same game but with new planets/levels, weapons, systems, gameplay, tweaked story, different boss battles, levels are layed out differently etc

We can see in the top right that there is a raritanium counter, which means it will probably be used for special weapon upgrades like in ItN. It's supposedly a successor to that system so there might be more to it.

Maybe ship for upgrades too since dogfighting is back.

Brohan

So i've Played only one r&c game before, i think it was called quest for booty or something like that. I remember having fun with it but it was really really short. Was that the normal length of a r&c game?

If so then i understand why they are only asking $40.

Lijik

been replaying the first game since the trailer dropped off and on. Up to the Ratchet missions in Orxon so i think thats like half way?
Havent played the original since the mid 2000s, and even though some sequences arent as involved as I remember this game is still solid fun!

So i've Played only one r&c game before, i think it was called quest for booty or something like that. I remember having fun with it but it was really really short. Was that the normal length of a r&c game?

Nah actually this is the length of a normal full R&C game. Jstevenson said 10-12 hours.

Wiggy

No QFB was shorter than normal, the devs say this game is 10-12 hours long. It's 40 bucks because its essentially a remake and sony had success at this price point for the Sly 4 i think.

Toppot

Quest For Booty was a very short game. Most R&C games are many hours long (8-10 hours depending), especially in Challenge mode (You get to replay through the game on a harder difficulty with your weapons you already have and get to buy some new upgraded ones to level up) which can nearly double the length of the game, as well as doing side missions.

I recommend picking up the other 2 main PS3 R&C games, Tools of Destruction and/or A Crack In Time. They can be bought very cheap these days or digitally/PlayStation Now. You can get the HC collection of the PS2 games to, the first game has aged a bit in the controls department but still all a good play. AVOID All4One, Full Frontal Assult, you can get Into The Nexus if you really dig the series, its somewhere between Quest for Booty and a normal R&C game in length.

Brohan

Thanks for the answers everyone! I guess i played one of the shorter r&c games by chance.
I don't even remember how it came into my possesion (think it might have been bundled with my second ps3) but I definitely had alot of fun with it.

Might have to get this new game then.

been replaying the first game since the trailer dropped off and on. Up to the Ratchet missions in Orxon so i think thats like half way?
Havent played the original since the mid 2000s, and even though some sequences arent as involved as I remember this game is still solid fun!

Orxon is death.

Cant wait to see it re-imagined.

Lijik

Orxon is death.

Cant wait to see it re-imagined.

Yeah I died on that path where you need to chase the infobot thats littered with those crab monster things and a bunch of memories of doing that the first time came flooding back and I went "Yknow what, I dont need this today"

Wiggy

Have Insomniac talked about adding arena battles? RC1 didnt have any (if im remembering correctly) but they became a mainstay of the series afterwards, so im assuming they'll slot them in somewhere in the story?

I don't even remember how it came into my possesion (think it might have been bundled with my second ps3) but I definitely had alot of fun with it.

I think they game away free after PSN blackout, maybe then?

Yeah I died on that path where you need to chase the infobot thats littered with those crab monster things and a bunch of memories of doing that the first time came flooding back and I went "Yknow what, I dont need this today"

The clank section where the bombs are falling is what stands out in my mine. I'd guide those little gadgebot guys all the way through the perpetual airstrikes, and then through the maze of killer souls, just to figure out that one of them died without me noticing. So then I would have to go all the way back and do it over again. Good times.

Have Insomniac talked about adding arena battles? RC1 didnt have any (if im remembering correctly) but they became a mainstay of the series afterwards, so im assuming they'll slot them in somewhere in the story?

They will almost undoubtedly be in. Hasn't been confirmed by them though. Arenas are as much of a staple as strafing is.... Well pretty much.

8byte

Banned
James (or someone) already confirmed the RPG systems are in place.

Looks incredible. For some reason, what with it being a Reboot/Re-Imagining, subconsciously I didn't expect it to look as good as it does.

This series is one of those that I am always anticipating to see when new consoles roll around because the art just lends itself to more processing power so well.

The PS3 games are some of the nicest looking games of last gen as far as I am concerned.

I kinda don't really like what they did to the Snagglebeast fight though. The one in the original had more of an objective than just "shoot to kill."

That's probably an earlier fight in the game though, so they probably didn't want to throw too much stuff on the player.

Maybe we fight the Alien Queen boss later and that one would be more akin to the Snagglebeast fight this time around since the Snagglebeast fight seems to take the place of the Alien Queen fight in the new version (in terms of location since it's in the Blarg Station, and probably in terms of how early you fight it). Ok that probably wont happen but it'd be nice.

Thanks for the answers everyone! I guess i played one of the shorter r&c games by chance.

Might have to get this new game then.
Quest for Booty was a $15 (US) PSN download at launch. :)

8byte

Banned
i asked earlier in the thread but i think you missed it. are there going to be harder difficulties? what about unlockables (skins, behind the scenes, outtakes)?

Didn't want to confuse you, I'm not associated with Insomniac.

It's almost certain there will be higher difficulties in the game, along with all those other things. They are a staple of the franchise.

Xeilyn

What didn't you like in aCiT? I'm just curious because it felt like everything good about ToD was their but better. Plus the Clank puzzles were amazing.
I honestly dont remember... As you said, everything was better. I just think i was in a real gamingslump and no game seemed fun anymore. aCiT just happened to be the next game on my list to play through and i just couldnt, i still have it right here so i might get back to it

Moosichu

I honestly dont remember... As you said, everything was better. I just think i was in a real gamingslump and no game seemed fun anymore. aCiT just happened to be the next game on my list to play through and i just couldnt, i still have it right here so i might get back to it

Did you play Quest for Booty? I would finish of the future series at some point. Even if it's just for Dr Nefarious' best lines in the series.

Xeilyn

Did you play Quest for Booty? I would finish of the future series at some point. Even if it's just for Dr Nefarious' best lines in the series.
Nope havent tried that one, only played Tools of Destruction and a Crack in Time. Might check out Quest for Booty aswell then, if i find the time

Crack in Time had too many battlefields and respawing enemy rooms.

I need to replay it, but I remember thinking this. I recently played the HD trilogy and found GC to easily be the best, despite the less than climactic final boss (not a bad fight tho).

If whatever game comes after R&C PS4 is as much of a step up from it as GC was from the OG R&C... whew.

IaN_GAF

I am so completely ready for this. Messing around with the Wii U lately made me notice a lack of colourful, "happy" games on PS4.

Top Bottom