• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4......

androvsky

Well, there is also the hurdle of, I don't know... coding the emulator?

Yeah, the PS4 probably has enough power to emulate PS2, but the effort needs to be put into the software for it. Emulators are not trivial tasks, simple as that.

I still have hopes that they release some sort of "add-on" for this stuff. I remember a Sony patent from a couple years ago that was about a small USB add-on that would have something like the partial hardware that the PS3 originally had to provide BC.

Now that they finally axed the PS2 production, I would hope something like this comes out.
If they're putting PS1 and PS2 games on Gaikai like they said, they're coding an emulator for a PC architecture. Same with the classics on PSN. Hell, Sony coded a PS2 emulator that runs on all PS3s just for a couple dozen PS2 Classics on PSN.

nordique

These sound more like PS3 problems, OP

PS4 isn't out yet so beyond a point or two it's premature to single out the PS4 with "concerns" regarding interface issues

jaxpunk

lots and lots of words

1. Tape - Problem solved, it's been said 100 times.

2. Let this be a lesson that you shouldn't name yourself something stupid.

3. Is this a problem with PSN or PS3. My Vita downloads much faster than my PS3.

4. Maybe it's a problem with your terrible download speeds. The latest store update for me seemed fine?

5. Achievements, who gives a hoot. Play a game and quit being OCD.

tldr: You literally wrote another paragraph. TLDR works like this...

I named myself something stupid and I'm also OCD shoot me.

offshore

PSN Store is the only real concern I can see. The current one continues to be beyond broken, and really puts me off exploring the Store. The web based one is okay, but it's not ideal when you're wanting to browse, download and play instantly.

If it's not improved with PS4 then I'll just continue to ignore it, as it such a goddamn frustrating experience.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony has enough studios with second teams now that there should be a good balance going into latter half of 2014. 3rd party multiplats and some help from indies should probably be enough to get them through the first 6-9 month stretch with only a relative few 1st party releases during that time.

The problem is the 3rd party games will be cross-generational. They don't give a lot of people a reason to move on to the new generation. Sony needed a big hitter out in the first 6 months but I don't see any. The teams who make those big hitters have PS3 games out this year so be a while before we see PS4 games from them. Indy is nice and all but no substitute for the big boys like ND to most gamers.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I think this isn't something you'd see from any normal person though. All the entertainment stuff and sports stuff is a reason to buy an XB1. To this day you still can't watch HBO Go on a PS3. The Kinect for me is a reason to buy an Xbox One. The ability to walk into a room and say Xbox On and instantly be signed into is reason to buy an XB1. The ability for my friend to pick up a controller and instantly be signed in is a reason to buy an XB1. The ability for us splitscreen to adjust to our position in the room is a reason to buy an XB1. The Kinect itself is a plus for me and a lot of other people. An OS that's smooth and that I can use with my voice is a reason to buy an XB1. The fact that the XB1 is the first console where developers can use voice in their games competently is a reason to buy an XB1.

That's why I said if Microsoft drops the Kinect I'd buy a PS4. They'd be bending to people who have no vision at all for the future and would have a potentially weaker game console. Personally I'm buying a PS4 first because its the one I can afford and this generation I want both consoles exclusives. But to say there's no reason to buy the XB1 is just supremely ignorant to the fact that not everyone holds your opinion.

Oh yea, Kinect is definitely a legitimate factor when you look at both consoles. But please read my post again? I think you may have misread it. It is in context of the OP's list.

oneils

Ps3 uses the ancient wireless g standard. The wireless n on ps4 should help with Downloads over wifi. The device is still kind of slow over Ethernet but it is getting better from what I see.

Mihos

Gold Member
I personally am not concerned with any of those things. Maybe the light bar thing on some nights, maybe.

I'm fairly sure Sony uses a third party to distribute content, such as Akamai.

The problem is that the PS3 software/hardware is utter rubbish when it comes to networking and OS level stuff so you end up with an awfully unresponsive UI the minute you bog it down with stuff.

The PS4 shouldn't have any of the problems the PS3 has.

If they're putting PS1 and PS2 games on Gaikai like they said, they're coding an emulator for a PC architecture. Same with the classics on PSN. Hell, Sony coded a PS2 emulator that runs on all PS3s just for a couple dozen PS2 Classics on PSN.

They could have PS2 hardware (I don't mean consoles obviously, but like the original PS3, they could have partial PS2 hardware doing the heavy lifting) for the Gaikai stuff, who knows right now.

And yeah they have an PS2 emulator for the PS2 classics, but there is a difference between coding an emulator to work with a limited subset of games, and one that would need to work with any PS2 game out there (in the case of being able to put your PS2 disc in the PS4).

That's why a small hardware add-on seems like the more plausible/sensible thing to me. I'd be willing to drop $40 bucks on a small usb add-on that would let me play any of my 120+ PS2 games.

I don't want to call anyone out by mistake but that OP smells MS paid for shilling,

Those issues you've listed are weak...if that's the only problems the PS4 has then its a pretty good console!

You might want to check someone's post history before throwing that accusation around. For fuck's sake, I even started this thread by saying how excited I and many others are about the PS4. I was one of the most vocal critics around here of Microsoft's DRM policy before they dropped it.

I believe that these are legitimate issues (to you at least), but are they really going to prevent you from buying a PS4. In other words, if these issues did not exist, would you definitely be buying a PS4?

I stated in the first sentence of the thread how excited I've been about the PS4. This thread was just my own personal reality check of things that may be problems with the PS4.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
My biggest concern is Sony compromising our personal information again. It was so cute when they bowed though. Sony <3s us!

The problem is the 3rd party games will be cross-generational. They don't give a lot of people a reason to move on to the new generation. Sony needed a big hitter out in the first 6 months but I don't see any. The teams who make those big hitters have PS3 games out this year so be a while before we see PS4 games from them. Indy is nice and all but no substitute for the big boys like ND to most gamers.

Some of Sony's big studios have multiple teams working on different games not to mention they have 30 games in development 20 of them are going to ship within the in 2013/14 and 12 are new IPs.

coldfoot

Banned
My biggest concern is Sony compromising our personal information again.
The chance for that happening again isn't any greater than the same happening to MS, Valve, Apple, Google, etc.
Besides, there is no need to worry, the US government knows it all and can help you get it back :)

About the Store. there's no real good reason to not use the Psn on the Web, its faster and you can let your ps3 downloading when you finish buying, why you will use the ps3 store? even if it was a better than it is now.

I have had my PS3 wired for years now, and I've even used it with different routers. It didn't matter. The downloads were and continue to be much slower than they are on my 360.
Download this from your PC right now:

http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/...Planet_Trailer-HD.mp4?product=0084&country=us

Is it faster than your PS3 normally downloads? If yes, then it has something to do with your PS3 or the settings of your router. PS4 should be fine I think. If it is slow as well then you are really unlucky.

Krakn3Dfx

This is a legitimate list of concerns for the PS3.

Based on Sony's approach this time around, most, if not all of these things have a good chance of being addressed on the PS4. If not, you're welcome to complain about them after the fact, but until launch, these are all speculations and results of a lack of information, which is an issue on both consoles at this point.

Oh yea, Kinect is definitely a legitimate factor when you look at both consoles. But please read my post again? I think you may have misread it. It is in context of the OP's list.

I was using that snippet as a jumping point for a theme I saw in the thread sorry if I singled you out :p

If those trivial problems are your list of grievances, then Sony must be doing something right.

Going to have to agree for the most part. Would I like to have total control over all my LEDs in all my devices? Sure, but that would never factor into a buying decision. I still like my PSN name, and even if I didn't, that's so trivial that it would never factor into a purchasing decision. Is the store constructed in an obtuse manner? Definitely, but what game storefront is better? Maybe Steam or Amazon, but nothing on consoles. I would like to see an improvement, but that is not a deal breaking issue. Download speeds are the largest issue I see, and I definitely expect improvement, but to what degree, we'll see. Still, I wouldn't base a buying decision on that because my Internet is variable enough as it is that any download ends up moving in fits and starts no matter where I'm downloading. Sony can't fix that for me. Edit: Whoops. Forgot about your trophies complaint because, oh my god who cares. Achievements or trophies can be a fun way to keep you playing a game you really love, but at some point we should try to remember the joy of playing a game for the game's sake and not for some imaginary score. But I guess if that's the reason someone plays a game, I guess that's their business. Regardless though, that's a pretty tertiary complaint.

The notion that "Sony gets something wrong for everything it gets right" is REALLY overselling these cited complaints.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not to make fun of you, OP, but I can't imagine any of the things listed in your post as being even remotely deal-breaking. For anyone.

Sure the PS4 is not 100% perfect, nothing is. But to act like these nitpicks are somehow colossal mistakes, that's pretty hilarious to me.

thefit

Sorry op but that is one weak ass list of concerns. My concern is if I'll actually get my launch system on time and if Sony got their shit together with the consoles cooling/venting its size brings up my second concern.

My biggest concern is Sony compromising our personal information again. It was so cute when they bowed though. Sony <3s us!

They tackled this issue by hiring Philip Reitinger and leaving him in charge with everything to do with digital security. It was cute when they bowed then actually followed through with what they said by putting forward actual steps to prevent similar security problems from occurring again.

JHall

I have a concern that it will run hot due to size. But, hopefully that concern will be eased when I get my system.

None of the OP's complaints are irrelevant...but none should be deal-breaking for anyone with common sense, either.

I'm a bit more concerned with how loud the console could potentially be, especially when running a demanding game. Hopefully it's engineered to be quiet while still having an effective cooling process. But even if it's a bit on the loud side, that's not a deal-breaker for me either.

I have yet to hear a single thing about the PS4 that would give me serious pause. There are some specifics that we're unsure about, but that's just because details on them hasn't yet been fully revealed.

BigDug13

It's like you specifically chose the only areas where MS has the advantage to make a list of why PS4 has issues that is pushing you towards the XBO.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's like you specifically chose the only areas where MS has the advantage to make a list of why PS4 has issues that is pushing you towards the XBO.

Title does say when it comes to PS4 doesn't it? Although i think the title should have been;

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4 FOR ME

fallingdove

Actually, as far as download speeds go, I just hope they keep the PS+ "patch stuff at 3AM" feature. That doesn't fix the issue of buying a new game on Tuesday and having to wait for it, but it sure is nice to never have to worry about turning on a game and sitting through patches (or a system update).

I thought you could start playing the game as soon as you have purchased it via streaming and the game itself downloads in the background. No?

PSN needs to have a smooth, intuitive, and easy way to invite people to games and party chat. It's why XBL is considered the better service in that regard.

I'm convinced Sony didn't realize how much people would be playing online this generation and it shows in the PS3. almost like PSN was an afterthought.

GodofWine

If you compare reasons of concern for the two consoles, a light bar that will probably not be the issue 4 people think it will be seems like spilled milk.

Straws, grasping.

PSN needs to have a smooth, intuitive, and easy way to invite people to games and party chat..

It has never been 'hard' to party up in-game on psn, its been simple as 'click invite friend to party'. done.

Im sure they will crack that 'invite to party chat' button as well...

The biggest concern for me is the UI and online services. PS+ is great and all but will it continue to offer such great value now that Sony has moved to the platform tax model?

Microsoft has better online services, better media services and will offer third party developers dedicated servers. Sony seems to have Microsoft's number in the Indie department but I don't think that is a big enough deal against the things Microsoft is offering.

When I was younger and spent all my free time playing games, I would have been all over the PS4.

I thought you could start playing the game as soon as you have purchased it via streaming and the game itself downloads in the background. No?

Any game still needs to download some minimum amount before it can begin play, unless it's 100% streaming video from an outside source. I think Sony has said you'll be able to play games while they're still downloading, but I don't think they ever said immediately. Maybe once Gaikai has figured out latency problems for modern Internet connections something like that could be possible, but not right now.

Lucent

Umm...these are very minor concerns in my opinion. And I REALLY do not care about trophies/achievements at all.

As far as I know, Play Go allows for only a small part of the game to download before you can start playing, the rest is downloaded and installed in the background as you play.

The stream a game while it downloads thing I think it was something they are kicking around, but that won't be until Gaikai is up and running probably. I could be wrong, though.

Cat Party

There are plenty of concerns with the PS4 but they don't have much traction right now. I'm worried about noise, cooling, user interface, network capabilities, etc. Some people in this thread dismiss these off-handedly. I don't have the faith in Sony that others do, though.

I have plenty of concerns with the XB1,but they are different concerns.

Top Bottom