• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recore Preview Thread (Mega Man meets Con Man meets Metroid Prime)

dLMN8R

It seems Recore is available to pre-load on Windows 10 now.
EDIT: and Forza Horizon 3.

[/img]http://i.imgur.com/B894y8e.jpg[/img]
[i/mg]http://i.imgur.com/M7zYEG7.png[/img]
[I/MG]
WpLTzD2.png
[/IMG]
(Disclaimer: I work on the store)

Just to set expectations, a pre-load isn't available yet for any of the games on the Windows Store.

If you pre-order any of the games on Xbox or PC, then on PC you can download a placeholder file. That placeholder is automatically downloaded if you preorder the game on PC, or if you preordered on the website or on Xbox, you can download the placeholder to your PC later by finding the page on the store or going into the "My Library" section of the store (click your profile picture in the upper-right)

That placeholder will be automatically updated to a preload later on if one is made available, and/or the final game once it's released. So right now it's just a few MB in size because it's not the actual content of the game yet.

can you send gifts on the windows store?

will probably get both and my friend his copy of forza

Gifts aren't supported on the Windows Store, and also aren't supported on Xbox. But the cool thing is that since there's finally one universal store across all platforms, if and when it's enabled on one platform, it'll automatically work on the other platform too.

blakep267

I was gong to wait for GwG but then realised that Microsoft would never give away a Play Anywhere game.

also the only first party xbox one games given away with GWG were D4 and sunset overdrive( and I guess Max). Its unlikely to come to the service anytime in the next few years if at all

(Disclaimer: I work on the store)

Just to set expectations, a pre-load isn't available yet for any of the games on the Windows Store.

If you pre-order any of the games on Xbox or PC, then on PC you can download a placeholder file. That placeholder is automatically downloaded if you preorder the game on PC, or if you preordered on the website or on Xbox, you can download the placeholder to your PC later by finding the page on the store or going into the "My Library" section of the store (click your profile picture in the upper-right)

That placeholder will be automatically updated to a preload later on if one is made available, and/or the final game once it's released. So right now it's just a few MB in size because it's not the actual content of the game yet.

Gifts aren't supported on the Windows Store, and also aren't supported on Xbox. But the cool thing is that since there's finally one universal store across all platforms, if and when it's enabled on one platform, it'll automatically work on the other platform too.

I keep getting error 0x80070005 when I try to download any game from the Windows Store.

Any fixes or tips?

Now I see why people say it reminds them of Ratchet & Clank.

I LOVE that she laughs when she goes up the spider trail thing, gives her more personality.

I mean, there's several interesting things there in this game, Dungeons with different enemies and how to fight them, with loot and puzzles. Shooting seems less mindless now, now that I know you have to change the color of the gun to match the enemy and you can charge the beams, as well as pull out the enemy's sphere thing when fighting. Also using your buddies, with different abilities, to fight for you.

For $40, and from the people behind Metroid Prime, I'm not seeing how I can miss this game.

EmiPrime

This footage looks like it's more polished than the gamescom stuff

Also like I know not everybody is a genius gamer, but this person playing hasn't picked up on basic stuff. Like you shoot the yellow stuff with the yellow gun. Not spam red fire when it doesn't work. And no charge shots, really?

Polygon going to Polygon.

Their Doom video was legendary and they didn't bother reviewing Starfox Zero, a game that takes less than 4 hours to finish, just because Gies didn't like the controls so much that he didn't want to play it.

me0wish

Environment looks dull and exploration seems uninspired and boring. Seems pretty average, I hope I turn out to be wrong.

SOR5

Jewel is capable of double jumping and a prolonged dash to move around her environment. Platforming in the third dimension can often be clutsly executed, but ReCore does a good job at making it feel fun and rewarding for exploring the environment and testing her reach, using a landing reticle to clearly distinguish where the player will fall. In the demo I found multiple hidden collectibles by surveying my environment more thoroughly, finding an audio log and blueprint schematics that presumably put Jewel’s engineering abilities to use to craft items with the accumulated resources.

The full game will grant players with an interconnected open map, so areas can be backtracked to in order to trace down secret areas only accessible with abilities acquired later in the game, Metroid-style.

In the time we had with the demo, ReCore proved itself as a thoughtfully constructed game that capably provides a diverse range of mechanics to learn, explore, and master. That accompanied with a slew of content to unlock and collect plants ReCore as a game with plenty to offer.

Polygon going to Polygon.

Their Doom video was legendary and they didn't bother reviewing Starfox Zero, a game that takes less than 4 hours to finish, just because Gies didn't like the controls so much that he didn't want to play it.

I don't blame Gies. A response like that is quite a statement to the game itself.

dLMN8R

I keep getting error 0x80070005 when I try to download any game from the Windows Store.

Any fixes or tips?

I believe 80070005 can happen if you're using Windows Compression on your secondary hard disk.

What do you see if you right-click on the hard drive from Explorer, click Properties, and look at the check box second-from bottom? Is "Compress this drive to save disk space" checked?

IDK it doesnt look bad to me. But I am still going to wait for some reviews before buying. I do like the Metroid influence of collecting upgrades and such.

SOR5

The Love List:

1 – Gameplay

ReCore has you using different colors of ammo to take down enemies also of differing colors. Are a pair of yellow enemies taking up a vertical vantage point? Hit the direction on the D-Pad corresponding to that color. Is a massive red titan bearing down on you? You better swap out to the red ammo quickly. Now as far as I know you can still take out the red titan with an opposing color of ammo, but the matching colors act as different bullet types like piercing rounds found in other titles. This allowed the segments to feel like a puzzle, quickly switching between ammo types and jumping around to avoid bullets, especially when several different colors of enemies are involved.

2 – Story/Characters

First and foremost, the character design is brilliant. I loved the Pixar look of my robot friends and the main character, Joule, sports a mechanized look with a superhero cape. Swapping between the two robots available in the demo made me intrigued to see how it would all play out. I wish I could have seen some outdoor environments to really get a sense of the world and its current state, but I saw enough of ReCore to really be interested in its narrative. And you can’t go wrong with former Halo writer Joseph Staten penning the script.

3 – Difficulty

At first, I was taken aback after dying several times in the same section, but the feeling of victory after slowly working out what steps to take was immense. ReCore is not afraid to really challenge you, even if it’s just with a few enemies. One section had just three enemies but took me several attempts to pass. The game forces you to experiment with the plethora of gameplay mechanics available, and I can only see greater achievements and successes as players are given more weapons, robot commands, and tools later on in the game to counteract the hard, but necessary, difficulty levels.
The Hate List:

1 – Gameplay

Wait, what? Yes, I both loved and hated the gameplay. While everything I said I loved was sound, the game was just too simple. Perhaps later on in the game there are some more open environments and hidden pathways to change things up, but the small demo I played wasn’t even enough to hold my attention the entire way through. What I assume will elevate the gameplay is more of a focus on your robot friend that you can command to attack enemies. Possibly taking control of them or upgrading their abilities will vary the experience and help with the gameplay pacing.

2 – Graphics/Art Direction

It pains me to say, but ReCore doesn’t exactly look like its breathtaking reveal trailer. I expected to see a colorful and unique looking world as I traveled with my robot buddies, but I was met with grimy looking environments that didn’t really pop. I can only compare it to the original Gears or some less flattering shots of Destiny where it just looks, like I said, grimy. Now what I played was an indoor environment so maybe the game looks better with some sunlight dawning over the levels, but I wasn’t exactly motivated to explore any further with how the game presented itself visually.

3 – AI

In counterpoint to the game’s difficulty, it doesn’t pair well when the AI make the same sorts of movements. Now again, this was a small segment of the game and more enemy types are sure to be included in the full experience, but what was there felt stale after a while. On top of that, there are just way too many thrown at you at some points. For those who played Halo 5, you might be familiar with the asinine amount of enemies thrown at the players during the Meridian section a third of the way through the game, and this short demo had a similar sequence. The difference being Halo 5’s gameplay is much more robust than ReCore’s as well as the ability to play with friends, so it can get away with things like that once in a while. It won’t be so good for ReCore if segments like these are scattered throughout the campaign as this will force some to lower the difficulty, which as stated above is important for the overall challenge of the game.

All in all, ReCore is shaping up to be a promising title, but there are still some questions that can only be answered after experiencing the entire campaign. I am optimistic and the least I can say is that this demo has me more interested in the title than it did before.

- See more at: http://cogconnected.com/feature/3-up-3-down-recore-edition/2/#sthash.huvKnh96.dpuf

SOR5

Video here

Impressions are good, its meant to be a difficult game, but apparently some of the PC's the game was playing on weren't calibrated properly? One was playing at a very smooth 60fps the other was below 20 or something crazy.

Colin-Farrell-Shrug-In-Bruges.gif

Just played the game at BGS and here are my impressions.

- I could see Xbox One and PC versions side by side and there are major differences in the characters models and anti aliasing. Both versions was kinda ugly to me.

- Didn't like the combat. It seems pointless for me. The sight is locked on the ememies so there aren't much challenge. There was a moment that was kinda of a bullet hell, that was the best piece of combat. The color based ammo to take down the enemmies is a cool concept hope it is best used in other parts of the game.

- Moviment and dash felt jenky.

- The story background that I saw looks silly.

Well that is it, not good so far. I should get the game in the next days, hope to be
surprised with the final version. :c

SOR5

Just played the game at BGS and here are my impressions.

Thanks, your impressions arent so promising lol but its still useful, all the good and bad has to be taken into recognition

if anybody has else played at BGS feel free to give thoughts

SOR5

Have we heard anything on length yet? Was hoping this could be my 'waiting for Persona 5 to arrive' game.

Pacini was like 'im thinking 8-10 hours, but I did say the same about Metroid Prime which ended up being about 30 hours for some so take it with a handful of salt'

Menitta

I just learned that if you preorder Recore on Amazon, you get a code for Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts...why? This seems so out of place.

blakep267

Maaaan when? Any idea when embargo is up as well? Details!!
I'm assuming it would be Friday since it releases in Tuesday. I believe that was the same scenario for Halo 5

I just learned that if you preorder Recore on Amazon, you get a code for Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts...why? This seems so out of place.
I guess because you can build your corebots
And N&B has building? Idk. Just looks like they wanted to also include a BC game

Chris1

I'm assuming it would be Friday since it releases in Tuesday. I believe that was the same scenario for Halo 5

I guess because you can build your corebots
And N&B has building? Idk. Just looks like they wanted to also include a BC game
Friday is a bit early if they're only just getting review codes.. That'll give them 3 weekdays to play the game and write a review. My guess is Monday or even Tuesday release day.

Top Bottom