• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

What? Just like really? What the fuck?

Did they look at the competition and just say "how can we make this process painstaking the less user friendly?"

MUnited83

For you.
How the hell is this an elegant solution?

Reggie can't do a spin to save his life, jesus. Wording this shit like the only way you could use voice before was with "bulky gamer headphones". How the fuck is having to hold your goddamn phone in a reliable position while you use your two hands to play the Switch a "elegant solution"? This company is completely and utterly lost.
Yeah Reggie made this pretty clear in numerous interviews he had. The main argument he seemed to have was that they didn't want people carrying headsets with them if they wanted to chat on the go.

I mean I think it's fine to have this as a mobile option in addition to a solution on the console but as the only way to voice chat it's bullshit.
One of the dumbest "reasons" i ever heard, when you can get small earphones with mics for cheap today everywhere. And even a bulky headset would be a better more confortable way of chatting on the go than having to somehow hold your phone while playing.

I don't think Nintendo fans use online multiplayer. Honestly, I consider myself one and really only played Smash and Mario Kart online for a few hours at most. I generally prefer local couch co-op or playing bots/computers.

What is the hugely popular Splatoon series?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I don't understand. If you're at a hot spot, you're supposed to put your phone on speaker mode? How do you avoid using a headset?

Fat4all

Banned
No joke, the really need to have a Direct dedicated to how this fucking app is gonna work with the Switch.

Just a clear-cut video showing all the ins and outs.

HeelPower

Maybe that's one of the features of the app guys ,and not a requirement to do any of it ?

Watch it be a requirement

Sounds weird but could be alright. Likely easier to search through stuff on your phone but they really should have more concrete details to show off before saying stuff like "paid online"

bryanee

Why cant it be a phone app and on the Switch itself? For fucks sake Nintendo. How can you be this bad when it comes to online?

LewieP

I think the app is a great idea as an option.

But it's a terrible excuse for not supporting basic online functionality on the device itself.

SOR5

This takes all the portability aspects and slaps it in the face with how clumsy it is

Do I have to strap the phone to my face or have it remain in one spot or keep pulling my phone out whilst im trying to hold the Switch as well?

This is great. All the processing power that would have been devoted to matchmaking and chatting will now be available for developers. That means better graphics, deeper physics amd smarter AI!

tmarg

Is this the same interview that was already going around, or has he turned "bulky gamer headset" into some kind of meme?

It's a very compelling reason to not buy a Switch, sure.

I still can't believe they came up with this "brilliant" idea and then thought they could charge money for it. They're never going to learn or have an online service that even matches the PS3.

ASIS

Voice chat I can understand, I actually I don't but that's nothing compared to not have matchmaking in the system itself. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I think the app is a great idea as an option.

But it's a terrible excuse for not supporting basic online functionality on the device itself.

Basically this.

Zekes!

This whole design decision, while it makes some sort of sense, is baffling.

That said, I'm pretty interested in trying it out lmao

D i Z

Maybe if he keeps saying it, the reality of how godawful this "elegant solution" is will over power the fighting wall of fan denial. Chamber another interview, Reggie. Hit em again.

Richie

I don't think Nintendo fans use online multiplayer. Honestly, I consider myself one and really only played Smash and Mario Kart online for a few hours at most. I generally prefer local couch co-op or playing bots/computers.

Splatoon is pretty much built on online multiplayer.

Here's hoping the app is just one option and not the only one.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I have to say the mobile phone aspect of the Switch seems to be by far the weirdest thing about it....
We need more info, stat.

Kouriozan

"We suck so bad at online that we put everything on mobile"

-> me don't have a smartphone, I'm so f*cked up, guess I won't have to pay that monthly sub though.

pswii60

Yeah Reggie made this pretty clear in numerous interviews he had. The main argument he seemed to have was that they didn't want people carrying headsets with them if they wanted to chat on the go.

I mean I think it's fine to have this as a mobile option in addition to a solution on the console but as the only way to voice chat it's bullshit.
So how do you chat without any kind of headset or earphone/mic combo? Are you going to have to put your phone on handsfree!? And more to the point, WHY would you even want to do chatting during an online game when you're on the move? People are going to look at you strangely on the train.

Gonna have to wait to see how things pan out, but it does not look like I'll be doing any online gaming on the Switch. It just seems like they really don't know what they're doing. How the hell are they going to justify forcing people to pay for online services?

darscot

The idea of a paid online service that all the online services run on your own personal device is laughable. Basically they don't have any services. All this shit should be running on the Switch.

Hoje0308

Banned
Haha! Your solution is anything but elegant and you, Reggie, can absolutely go fuck yourself if you think this is acceptable for a modern online system, let alone a paid one.

CHC

Elegant solution:

The Switch
Plus the Joy Con attachments
Plus a dock
Plus a TV
Or a charger
Plus your phone
And its charger
And a headset
Via a paid online service

Elegant solution.