• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think it's pretty obvious almost none of the online and account system for the switch is actually developed by Nintendo. Almost everything is done by DeNA which is why almost everything uses an app on your phone.

tmarg

This thing won't have anything in besides the games on it, right? Not even friends list, web browser, or even eShop. Everything will be done on an external platform.

Nah, you can damn well bet they'll find a way to take your money without an external app.

Beartruck

How about instead using your console thats crippled into needing a phone, I just use a phone and save space. I can't believe they somehow made their online WORSE.

I'm gonna need some more details on that one Reggie, cause I literally cannot see how that can work with Splatoon. Voice chat enabling and disabling I understand completely. But Splatoon 2 was a DEMO that could be PLAYED at events around the world and there wasn't a Lan adapter on site. How did that happen without a phone?

How the hell is this an elegant solution?

Because if you're playing this on the go, you probably don't want to have to pack a specialized headset, whereas you almost certainly have your phone and perhaps a pair of expensive earbuds.

That's the thinking, anyway.

Syinn

Neo Member
742702daef1d81e5c437ebb37e32b653ad15759a480fad09b7ceb2726121b96e.jpg

Very weird.

I mean, I do use the PlayStation App on my phone to manage invites and other PSN-related functions sometimes, but it's more of a convenience than a matter of personal preference -- the majority of the time, I'd rather handle it through the console's native UI. I don't really enjoy the idea of tethering functionality of one device to another outside of dedicated peripheral devices, which tend to serve very dedicated and focused functions.

Separating voice chat to my phone seems like it introduces some very odd audio output scenarios, too -- how am I going to manage my game audio as well? I'm guessing there will be compatibility with most phone-based microphones, too, but unless I'm using an old-school bluetooth earpiece, that usually means I need to be using a pair of earbuds as well.

... I just have a hard time seeing this working out comfortably on paper.

Blobbers

This is why I don't subscribe to the "we should wait for more info" school of thought. The actual truth is ALWAYS more horrifying.

Megatron

Are you fucking kidding me. This from a console in 2017??

Specifying 2017 makes it seem like this is some archaic throwback to a bygone era where we always used to use our cell phones for connectivity. If anything this is a brand new innovation we have never seen before. I dont think we shoukd tear it apart without letting it run for a few months.

This actually makes a lot of sense since this is a portable console, without a 4G connection. If you're on the go without wifi, you can make your own hotspot then do voice chat and stuff on the phone too.

That said, they should really have an integrated solution too. I've never actually chatted on a console though (mostly play on PC), so I have no expectations really. I imagine ppl used to PS/XBOX would be really confused by this.

MGrant

This won't affect my ability to play online, but I worry about people without a smartphone or with limited data plans. I get that this probably saves system RAM and CPU power to avoid processing this information through the console, but is it really worth the tradeoff for the consumer? We already had lightweight voice chat and lobbies on the OG DS (Metroid Prime Hunters). Why on earth couldn't we have it here?

Venom.

It doesn't sound like an 'elegant' solution to me it seems knuckleheaded!

Has anybody got a 'behind the scenes' theory on why Nintendo would go for this solution?

Just spitballing I was wondering if it is so that Nintendo avoid the responsibility and PR risks of running a service that kids use which leaves them vulnerable to swearing, aggression etc.

Or could it be something to do with the backend, i.e. Less demanding server farm etc? Of course I don't know but it would be good to know their train of thought.

Specifying 2017 makes it seem like this is some archaic throwback to a bygone era where we always used to use our cell phones for connectivity. If anything this is a brand new innovation we have never seen before. I dont think we shoukd tear it apart without letting it run for a few months.

It's going to be a worse version of Discord

PSFan

Lol at all the people defending the lack of Netflix in the other topic, saying they didn't want to carry an additional device to use apps.

Well, it looks like they'll have to carry multiple devices to do multiplayer on the Switch, and pay for it too.

Go home Nintendo, you're drunk!

K' Dash

They HAVE to backtrack on this and build the app functionality IN the console.

What about game audio?
What about juggling a fucking second device for a console that's all about "on the go"

This is fucking ridiculous and it is why you shouldn't ask PR spewing clowns like Reggie questions where you need a serious answer.

Because if you're playing this on the go, you probably don't want to have to pack a specialized headset, whereas you almost certainly have your phone and perhaps a pair of expensive earbuds.

That's the thinking, anyway.

If I'm playing on the go, I probably won't be able to be online unless I'm at a place with WiFi.

And at that point, just let the headphones connect with the system so I can speak to people lol.

Like, Nintendo. Just make it an optional, additional thing.

Galang

Banned
I understand wanting people to pay for online, but I find it weird that you have to use a separate phone for a service you already pay for. I don't understand the reasoning for this. If it was an extra additional "option" then I'd find it cool but man

Spman2099

I genuinely hate cellphones and do not currently own one for that reason (though I occasionally end up with one when life requires it). They HAVE to have an alternative way of doing this stuff.

Atheerios

Maybe we should stop complaining until we have a better idea of how it will work. Nintendo still hasn't revealed any concrete aspects of the online functions, maybe it will end up being not so bad.

So basically I won't be giving Nintendo any money for their online service or buying Splatoon 2 or any other of their online focused games because I don't have a smartphone and can't make use of basic online features that I take for granted on my other consoles. They really don't want my money with the weak launch, accessory pricing, and online bs.

hao chi

I'm really curious and, honestly, at least a bit nervous given the fact that it's Nintendo, to see how this will work and how much it will be forced upon even third party developers. I don't really see how or why I would need an app to look for randoms on games, or how that would be any easier or "elegant" than just going through in-game menus.

ItIsOkBro

Actually, forget when you're in handheld mode.

This is absolute stupidity for a home console. You have to be chained to your phone, to matchmake, at home.

zelas

because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot

Playing games in a hotspot???? Like at starbucks, mcdonalds, or using phone data??? Nobody is gonna play online multiplayer games on those shitty connections.

Like how does that even work from a game perspective? Does it sync up with the game? What about third party devs? Do they have to go and register their game in this all-in-one app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom