• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

I gotta imagine this one is 100% on DeNA convincing Nintendo this is the smartest thing to do, cause it's illogical for anyone to come up with this crap on their own

fernoca

I guess is one of those things that makes sense once you see it, rather than through teases and cryptic messages.

I think that they've talked in the past around the idea of setting up online matches during the day, on the go, as you leave your job/school... etc.

Then you just turn on the console, go online and everything is ready.

But who knows right now.

painey

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2FAdam-Brody1.gif

Phu

Banned
Specifying 2017 makes it seem like this is some archaic throwback to a bygone era where we always used to use our cell phones for connectivity. If anything this is a brand new innovation we have never seen before. I dont think we shoukd tear it apart without letting it run for a few months.

That's like saying we should give some dude with a bucket of ice a chance despite already having freezers.

NimbusD

How do you chat and hear the game at the same time?

There are so many other things wrong with this, but that's the one that's not just an inconvenience, but actually broken about this.

ASIS

This actually makes a lot of sense since this is a portable console, without a 4G connection. If you're on the go without wifi, you can make your own hotspot then do voice chat and stuff on the phone too.

That said, they should really have an integrated solution too. I've never actually chatted on a console though (mostly play on PC), so I have no expectations really. I imagine ppl used to PS/XBOX would be really confused by this.
So you either chat with your friends or you listen to the game's audio, no way to do both correct?

The more I think about it the less it makes sense. Show off your online infrastructure already Nintendo and stop talking about it until you do.

pswii60

Specifying 2017 makes it seem like this is some archaic throwback to a bygone era where we always used to use our cell phones for connectivity. If anything this is a brand new innovation we have never seen before. I dont think we shoukd tear it apart without letting it run for a few months.
Maybe in 2020 they can work out a way of integrating online in to the console itself, without any need for a smartphone. Can you imagine! That'd be pretty impressive.

Let's be honest, this shit just fits in with Nintendo's dual-screen obsession. They had to find a way to put an extra screen in front of you one way or another, and why not use your fucking phone.

III-V

Makes perfect sense for handheld, can play anywhere you have a phone signal.

At home this is some bullshit.

2SeeKU

So the switch "pairs" with the phone like as a hotspot?

If so, there's mobile companies in Australia that don't allow sharing data this way.

This would be a great defense if Discord and other apps weren't a thing.

And if other consoles didn't let people do this optionally.

Just saying.

What if someone calls or texts?!
I can see this sort of making sense when abroad, but unless the dock somehow can load this app in and handle it when at home...wtf

meppi

I don't even want to use my phone for anything besides making calls and sending a text once in a while.

I sure as fuck don't want to use it to play online games on a console! Fuck this. :(

LoveCake

Not sure if it's a elegant solution though, not everyone has a top-notch mobile phone either, I have Miimoto and it's 580mb in size which is huge!

Is it going to be compatible with every single mobile phone?

Just seems to me to be something else that can be an issue, things need to be simple and this is over complicating it, maybe it will work well , can only just try it.

Well, the good thing is that when I get a Switch, I am totally ignoring everything about their online setup. I'm ignoring eShop, I'm ignoring online matchmaking, I'm ignoring their version of PS+. Fuck it, I'm out on all of that.

The bad thing is that it's 2017, and Nintendo's not sure how this whole internet matchmaking thingamajiggy works quite yet.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
God, just shut the fuck up until you can show it off, I can't take this stupidity

This is where I'm at as well.
Every time they speak about online it's just sounding worse and worse so they just need to show us the full package already.

Because if you're playing this on the go, you probably don't want to have to pack a specialized headset, whereas you almost certainly have your phone and perhaps a pair of expensive earbuds.

That's the thinking, anyway.
Guess Nintendo didn't see the earbud headset that comes with PS4

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
What if I also play videogames on the smartphone, Reggie?

It's almost as if their OS wasn't ready to be launched until 2018. No popular apps, vital system tools outsourced to iOS/Android?

What is going on?

GobFather

they can ask their parents
Use their phone to use as a voice chat while the kid play ? It's not a temporary set up. This is to be used the entire multilayer session. Makes no sense for parent to give up a smart phone for that purpose. Nor do I want to mix my phone device mixed with gaming, unless it's to supplement but not as a primary means to do setup and voice chat.

Gorillaz

Either they never had enough time to actually develop ANYTHING that isn't hardware and titles beause of upper management or somebody legit has to be in there ear to think this is a good idea

this shit is terrible this HAD to have been a 2018 launch originally....that or dena company got them lost in the sauce

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They really really need to do a Direct detailing their online services ASAP. The confusion and sheer bafflement about what they're doing is not good.

So is it just on the app? Is there nothing on the system's UI to do this and then the app as supplemental?

If it's just the app, Nintendo is making dumber moves than I thought.

qko

I don't understand how a company has become so divorced from its user base.

I dunno, since when has Nintendo's user base been about online chat... or online gaming in general? How is one divorced from something they were never married to in the first place?

I really don't want to seem like an apologist, but as a life long Nintendo gamer, I rarely ever find myself playing online with their games. Mario Kart on the Wii was cool until hackers ruined it. Smash on Wii was awful, and on the Wii U was kinda a novelty at first, but I never really got into playing online.

To be honest, the only 2 games I ever enjoyed playing online on Nintendo systems were Mario Strikers Wii, and Splatoon. Neither had voice chat and were still fun to play online.

Would Nintendo games benefit from Voice Chat? I guess, its never been my thing, and I'll probably never use it, but options would be neat for those that do. I'd love it to change, but lets be real, "Nintendo Gaming" has never been associated with "Online Gaming" and to say the company is "divorced from its user base" needs to be further explained because that could not be further from the truth.

NotLiquid

So the game's audio would output through the phone?

I misread the initial quote (thought it said how do you chat/play at the same time). But I'm going to assume you just put in your ear buds into the phone/put speaker on. That part isn't too much of a hassle.

Unless you want the voice chat and game audio into the same headphones then... I dunno, will it route the voice chat into the game somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom