• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rejoice JRPG Gamers because 2015 is our Blessed Year

P5 coming out early in the PS4's life bodes really well. I'm guessing the reason why P5 features traditional SMT demons instead of shadows is because they intend to reuse those assets for future games like they did with SMT: Nocturne & the PS2. Whether those future games are P6, SMT5, or all-new spin-offs like DDS & Raidou were, who knows? In any case, the outlook for JRPGs on home consoles hasn't looked this bright in a long time.

Reveirg

Still can't wrap my head around the idea that I'll play FFXV, Type-0, Persona 5, Xenoblade X and Bloodborne in the same year O_O

It's a fantastic time to be a JRPG fan.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Is anyone actually planning on buying FFX a third time? I feel like this would be justification to get a PlayStationTV and buy the game for $20.

autoduelist

Uthred's list should be move to the OP, it's a far superior list and includes all the ones I immediately noticed missing from the current OP list.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've tried again and again to find a JRPG to like, but it's been tough. Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni, Persona, FF, that one with the blue dragon... the only one I've been able to finish is Chrono Trigger.

Is there a JRPG that isn't reliant on grind and can be completed in less than 20 hours? Preferably one that doesn't have 10 minute opening cutscenes? Or would those kinds of games not even qualify as JRPGs?
Sure there are, but most of them are older. Phantasy Star IV, Suikoden, Final Fantasy IV are short enough and without stories that drag on forever. Coming out in 2015, Cosmic Star Heroine will be about that length too, inspired by Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star, should be up your alley.

Rezae

Still can't wrap my head around the idea that I'll play FFXV, Type-0, Persona 5, Xenoblade X and Bloodborne in the same year O_O

It's a fantastic time to be a JRPG fan.

Eh... I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that some will get pushed back, at least as far as Western releases. Type-0 are Bloodborne are the obvious sure things right now.

Coming out in 2015, Cosmic Star Heroine will be about that length too, inspired by Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star, should be up your alley.

Yeah, with all of our games, we really try to keep them fast-paced (while still turn-based) & limit grind & filler to a minimum.

Here's some footage of Cosmic Star Heroine to give you an idea of what the game will play like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwRduJKJwc

cafemomo

Is anyone actually planning on buying FFX a third time? I feel like this would be justification to get a PlayStationTV and buy the game for $20.
I'm buying it for the 8th time
jYh8On3UWhx7C.jpg

Tohsaka

I'll get the PS4 version if it's dual audio (or if there's an Asian version with Japanese audio), otherwise I won't bother.

I'm just happy with Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: If. Everything else is just gravy.

Now if we got get some info on SMTxFE it would be perfect.

Finally watching the Xenoblade trailer... I thought I was getting used to the artstyle... then Rin showed up... I don't think I'll ever really get used to it.

My wife has 100+ hours into Persona Q and is terrified after I showed her the P5 trailer. "I could have done so many things in 100 hours... no... no..."

Am I the last person holding out hope that Final Fantasy XV will release this calendar year, triggering a JRPG supernova that will consume is all?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Eiyuu senki is the only good game on the list.

New Xenoblade looks good but no Wii U. Enormous shrug @ persona and lol @ 3 Atelier titles.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's fucking weird, honestly. It's been a decade since we've had anything approaching this year in terms of good RPGs

Oregano

P5 coming out early in the PS4's life bodes really well. I'm guessing the reason why P5 features traditional SMT demons instead of shadows is because they intend to reuse those assets for future games like they did with SMT: Nocturne & the PS2. Whether those future games are P6, SMT5, or all-new spin-offs like DDS & Raidou were, who knows? In any case, the outlook for JRPGs on home consoles hasn't looked this bright in a long time.

Well the assets will be PS3 level which will be usable on Vita(if its around), 3DS' successor and Wii U(for SMT x FE obviously) so whilst it's maybe not as good news for PS4 it's still awesome all round!

adixon

Now that I think about it, the real miracle is that this thread hasn't become a discussion about defining the term "jrpg."

Looks like a good year. Certainly the first time I've been really excited by what's happening in a while.

I hope the new SaGa gets localized this year...

Also, Ys VIII is everything we need, you can just forget the rest.

=X

But yeah, I can feel a lot of these getting pushed to 2016.

Sure there are, but most of them are older. Phantasy Star IV, Suikoden, Final Fantasy IV are short enough and without stories that drag on forever. Coming out in 2015, Cosmic Star Heroine will be about that length too, inspired by Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star, should be up your alley.

Thank you... will be on the lookout for Cosmic Star Heroine.

Mortemis

Banned
Looks like a really nice year... for Japan. I don't have much hope games like Ys 8, FE if, or Persona 5 will drop in the west this year.

With FFXV (hopefully) it looks like 2016 is gonna be terrific for the west.

Top Bottom