• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of knew I'd be dumping the Xbox brand once I got a Vita and PlayStation Plus back in 2012. Felt nice to finally be getting something for my subscription money.

The PlayStation meeting cemented it.

Same here. I got a ps3 in jan 2012 when I was still locked out of my Live account two months after it got hacked and migrated to Russia. I barley touched my 360 after that other than Skyrim and Borderlands 2.

So I was pretty set on going PS4 this time around. The drm crap they tried (I sell games after beating), forcing in Kinect, and being more expensive and less powerful just ensured that I'll never buy an X1.

I'm drowning in games to play on PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U and 3DS so I don't mind missing Halo and Gears etc.

abracadaver

MS actually abandoned the 360 a long time before the Xbone came out, considering their last major release was in 2012, and even that was really the last of a trickle of 'core' games that they'd released since 2010

what ? Gears judgment came out in 2013 and some fable game was just released + titanfall in 2 weeks

For those who owned both system last gen, did you buy them both at launch or did you wait a little while before you got the second? I'm asking because I don't see why someone who had both last gen can't still be planning on having both this gen.

I'm loving all this "PS4 haz no gamez" nonsense.

Sony always delivers exclusive content and new IP...every generation...like clockwork, and they have been wiping the floor with MS in that regard since 2009 or so. Just during the PS3 era they brought us new exclusive IP like Uncharted, Infamous, Last of Us, Resistance, LBP and Motorstorm along with continuing IP from the PS1 and PS2 eras like God of War, Killzone, Ratchet, Sly, Twisted Metal, Wipeout and Gran Turismo.

Sony, for whatever business reason, opted to continue to support the PS3 with great content in 2013 (Sly, GoW, GT, TLoU, Puppeteer, Beyond, Ratchet, etc.) rather than pushing it to their new console, and that has affected the quantity of retail content in the first few months of the PS4. You'd have to be a moron to hold that against them, because they'll show the same commitment on PS4 just like they did on PS2. Anybody else remember that God of War 2 on PS2 released after the PS3?
Excellent post, agreed on counts.

Also, for the "no gaemz"-ers, the PS4 has Warframe. That's pretty much the only game you need, and it's free :)

The Kinect gamble doesn't seem to be paying off.

I thought for sure it would launch with some kind of game that really made use of the Kinect and defined the type of experience that you could get with it. Is there anything like that on the horizon even? It seems like they should focus on making gamers see why the Kinect should be wanted thus explaining why the Xbox One is more expensive.

For those who owned both system last gen, did you buy them both at launch or did you wait a little while before you got the second? I'm asking because I don't see why someone who had both last gen can't still be planning on having both this gen.

I had both and will again. Just like last gen my primary purchase had to do with price point and nothing to do brand. 100$ cheaper resulted in Sony winning the launch purchase.

got XB1 first (Ryse and DR3), will get PS4 as soon as an appealing game to my tastes is released, no need to choose a side for me.

btw, just got a Wii U some weeks ago, no need to rush in getting platforms, I love 'em all

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I bought both at the same time (Wii came later), but I was in spending mode and was jumping back into gaming.

Majanew

Banned
I love that I keep seeing this comment reappear throughout the thread with comments from other users that sounds like a "Right on, brother!" congratulatory high-five.

So let's get this straight...

If Xbox One was as powerful as PS4
And Xbox One launched as the same price as PS4
And Xbox One didn't include a camera like the PS4

... then it would have done better?

So basically you just wish your Xbox One was a PS4? :p

Of course. Then titles not coming to PS, like Forza and Halo, could look better. :)
I'll be playing Halo 5 next year wondering what it could be if the GPU had 660 GFLOPS more computational power. :(

azhar

Banned
I thought for sure it would launch with some kind of game that really made use of the Kinect and defined the type of experience that you could get with it. Is there anything like that on the horizon even? It seems like they should focus on making gamers see why the Kinect should be wanted thus explaining why the Xbox One is more expensive.

Kinect Sports Rivals is out on April 8th I think. Definitely not ideal to launch at a $100 premium without any good Kinect games (
Fighter Within LOL
). I'm a little surprised MS haven't tried to push Xbox Fitness more, because it seems to work quite well with the Kinect.

Of course. Then titles not coming to PS, like Forza and Halo, could look better. :)
I'll be playing Halo 5 next year wondering what it could be if the GPU had 660 GFLOPS more computational power. :(

If that is the case then I wish I knew how it would look as a PC exclusive. ;)

Obviously there wouldnt be a huge difference between ps4 and the x1 though.

MercuryLS

Banned

I feel for Xbox fans, I'd be pretty pissed if I gave a shit about MS's IPs.

MS actually abandoned the 360 a long time before the Xbone came out, considering their last major release was in 2012, and even that was really the last of a trickle of 'core' games that they'd released since 2010.

When you frame it like that, their Xbone launch lineup should really be setting off alarm bells, not increasing your confidence in their ability or willingness to support Xbone with first-party or exclusive content. Even after three years of doing virtually nothing with the 360, their exclusive lineup for the launch of their new console was arguably only marginally better than Sony, who've spent the last three years supporting the PS3. In fact they had to pay for platform exclusivity with TitanFall to fill an enormous gap in their lineup between launch and the fall of the following year.

If that isn't a worrying state of affairs, I don't know what is.

Good point. And It didn't help that they spent the tail end of the 360 pushing Kinect hard. And not to mention they don't even include the 360 in the same breath wheneve they are talking about Titanfall.

Kinect Sports Rivals is out on April 8th I think. Definitely not ideal to launch at a $100 premium without any good Kinect games (
Fighter Within LOL
. I'm a little surprised MS haven't tried to push Xbox Fitness more, because it seems to work quite well with the Kinect.

I think they might need something leaning a little more towards AAA to get gamers into a frenzy about it. Just my opinion.

USC-fan

Banned
I had both last gen. Brought both within 4 months of launch.

X360 was an amazing hardware and system was my main system for the first couple of years. After it breaking 3 times, the last time I didn't even hook it back up. Switch to mostly ps3 gamer. By then ps+ was just releasing a ton of good games every month.

Now with the misstep of ms and just how well I liked the ps3/ps+. I went ps4 only....

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

kinpxu8c.png

I bought a 360 in 2007(?) and PS3 in 2008. Spent the majority of time on 360 and PS3 was for exclusives.

I won a PS4 and will probably build a new PC next year. That will most likely be it. A combination of questionable business practices, lack of time, and no desire to pay for XBL pretty much determined I won't buy a bone. I might end up doing what I did with the Wii last gen, buy one super cheap towards the end of its life to play the few games I want to experience..

Melchiah

I'm loving all this "PS4 haz no gamez" nonsense.

Sony always delivers exclusive content and new IP...every generation...like clockwork, and they have been wiping the floor with MS in that regard since 2009 or so. Just during the PS3 era they brought us new exclusive IP like Uncharted, Infamous, Last of Us, Resistance, LBP and Motorstorm along with continuing IP from the PS1 and PS2 eras like God of War, Killzone, Ratchet, Sly, Twisted Metal, Wipeout and Gran Turismo.

Sony, for whatever business reason, opted to continue to support the PS3 with great content in 2013 (Sly, GoW, GT, TLoU, Puppeteer, Beyond, Ratchet, etc.) rather than pushing it to their new console, and that has affected the quantity of retail content in the first few months of the PS4. You'd have to be a moron to hold that against them, because they'll show the same commitment on PS4 just like they did on PS2. Anybody else remember that God of War 2 on PS2 released after the PS3?

"The PSx has no games" meme is really growing old, but even as a fan of Sony's games, I have to say that their offerings weren't that great on the PS1/2. WipEouts were the only games from them I bought back then (EDIT: + Siren and God of War, which I forgot). Things changed on the PS3, when they couldn't rely on the 3rd parties anymore, and had to provide more games of their own. Now they're one of the strongest publishers out there, and over a third of the PS3 games I own were published by them.

what ? Gears judgment came out in 2013 and some fable game was just released + titanfall in 2 weeks

Gears of War Judgement and Fable Anniversary are major releases?

This has to be a joke post

I was primarily a 360 gamer after being a Sony guy. It stayed that way till Uncharted 2 came out and the exclusives on PS3 started to appeal to me more

jdmonmou

Guys, guys.

Right now, both of them have shit for games. Wait a year, then come back.

My thoughts exactly, but I do see why PS4 is enjoying the slight advantage so far. I got both systems, but if I could only pick 1 it would be PS4. The extra $100 you pay on Xbox One for Kinect is not worth it. Playstation Plus also doesn't feel like a complete rip off since you get free games every month. Right now Playstation offers consumers the most bang for their buck.

Majanew

Banned

Bought the 360 at launch and PS3 August 2007.
Bought XB1 and PS4 at launch.

US launch dates

ShinMaruku

Why? Why doesn't everybody just enjoy every console exclusive games? People are wasting a lot of good experiences due to fanboyism. I wont "switch" im keeping them all.

You don't need to have both enjoy games you know. Sometimes it's not depriving yourself.

I never understood the whole "Get all you must get this game" Thing there are enough for everybody to get something.

I never got all consoles because 2 of the companies don't fit what I want so why would I support something that does not hold my interest?

And to those who switched from microsoft, you never seen what they have been planning coming? Like Nintendo they were upfront with what they were about from the start.

AristoCat

Bought both at launch. This time only bought PS4.

Dysun

I owned both last-gen and actually skewed towards the 360 earlier in its lifespan.
Over time the exclusives ceased, Kinect gained more focus and I felt left behind. The Xbone reveal was a disaster and did nothing to gain my favor back.

I'm also one of those who switched to Sony and don't intend to buy an Xbone

I went from 360 only to PS4 for this gen. I got it about a week after launch to play Battlefield and I have been more than happy. Warframe was a nice surprise. Waited to get AC4, KZ and TR for $40 and I'm liking 2 of those a lot more than I thought I would. The majority of the games I'm interested in are multiplatform. Halo used to be my favorite series but its been going down hill since 3 (arguably since 2) and the people who made it great are doing a multiplat this gen. I had no specific reason to get a XB1 or a PS4 this gen so I reserved judgment until they actually launched.

The technical details that came out here, combined with MS' stupid entertainment "vision" and attempts to railroad ownership of games made my decision easy. Price had a little to do with it, even though i ended up paying $470 for mine via Craigslist, because it helps to decide what $400 is worth in console dollars when you can compare it to what is worth $500 console bucks. Since I could care less for Kinect and had no reason to stick with the brand, I felt like I would be cheating myself to go with the inferior hardware at the bloated price.

A lot of my friends were blown away by my switch, most got X1 at launch or were waiting to get one later on. They just never considered making a switch because halo... and cod is "better" on Xbox. I never had any loyalty to brands in my life, I always educate myself on the options when I aim to buy new shit, it seems like a lot of my friends don't. My cousin in particular felt betrayed and invited me over to check out the X1 and put on a shameless display of functionality attempting to win me back. He was playing Diablo on a 360 thru the hdmi with an episode of the office snapped to the side in a tiny window and acting like this was hype. :-/

BigDug13

Bought both at launch. 360 was my main gaming console coming off the OG Xbox being my main gaming console. PS3 purchase at launch for $500 launch unit was ONLY for bluray and media playback. Bluray players were $1000 at the time, and the PS3 offered the best upconverting DVD player compared to those other players, and also the best bluray player since it would have endless firmware upgrade support compared to those other first generation bluray players.

I didn't even buy it for games and $500 was a steal for someone looking for a high def movie player. Didn't play my first PS3 game until 2013.

level44

Is there anyone who was primarily PS3 last gen and have switched to just xbone now and that's all they want?

I've yet to find anyone who has done that.

gcubed

Of course this poll is bunk, if you don't poll every person in the world between the ages of 15-65 the sample size is to small to tell you anything. What a joke!

statistics ... How do they work

Tigress

I'll admit, I'm biased towards PS, always have been since the first one (which I will admit would be my favorite console of all time). One reason is exactly this, I've always found I'm glad to have my PS of whatever version even late in its life cycle because I find throughout their life span they get constant support and I'm always finding some new game that makes me glad I have one (up until they replace it with a new PS). So, I have always felt that it is a good purchase that will last me years and make me happy. Granted, the PS3 I didn't buy until 2 years ago (Sony did turn me off with the price tag when they announced it and I had other tech toys to keep me happy so didn't get any new consoles until more recently. But when I got the PS3 by that point there were a lot of good games that were cheap and still games coming out for it).

It makes me confident that I will get the games I want when I buy a PS. I've never been sad that I was missing out on too many of the good games cause I went PS. I won't say there aren't games I've been interested in other consoles (Eternal Darkness I believe was was probably the closest to making me sad I didn't have the other console but I more wished that it was coming to mine) but not enough that it made me regret having a PS instead (and in general, sorry, I can't justify another console just for a few games). Though when my BF game me a 360 on advice of my physical therapist for the dance games (as I wasn't sure PS Move would really be the same thing as Kinect, seems like it can only trace where your hands are and I needed it more to get my legs moving) I admit it was really nice to be able to have access to some games I otherwise would not have.

Sony is the only one who actually built a next gen system this time around. The X1 is basically a 360 2.0 and WiiU IS a 360.

Just look at Infamous Second Son your not gonna get something that looks like that on any other console at this time and Sony is fairly priced $100 less than X1 and only a little bit more than the Wii U.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I bought my PS3 in 2009 and then bought my 360 the next year. I plan on getting all three systems at some point, but the price and list of games made me get the PS4 first. The Wii U and Xbone will be bought at a later time.

arhra

I got my 360 within a month of launch, and PS3 a couple of months after it launched.

But the launches were a year apart, that time (actually, more than that, thanks to the EU PS3 delay).

Picked up an X1 so far (the PS4's games lineup so far just isn't doing anything for me), but I'll probably pick up a PS4 within the year, hopefully availability will be good enough for some deals to start popping up by winter. Unless my (old EU-launch 60Gb model) PS3 finally gives up the ghost and needs replacing, which would probably take priority simply because I already have a sizeable backlog to work through.

I feel for Xbox fans, I'd be pretty pissed if I gave a shit about MS's IPs.

This.

It's like when Metroid Prime 3 can out for the Wii. In the back of my mind, I always wondered: what this game would have looked like on 360-like hardware? Probably would have been amazing.

Ah well.

The Kinect gamble doesn't seem to be paying off.

Do third parties even add features for it? Like AC4 or does even Titanfall do anything? Some kind of hand wave for Grenades would be cool and could catch peoples attention who aren't generally interested in our traditional pad format.

But, this is the big but going through my head. Maybe by making it a bit weaker than the PS4, the Kinect may barely even be used. Since it will further downgrade the graphics using costly resources. This is just a thought not a Fact

kodecraft

I will certainly jump on the XB1 if/when they release a disc-less version with bigger HD storage and reduced price. I don't want the current behemoth of a model.

I can't get into the PS1,2,3, or 4's because of the controller. That's me though.

Back in 2008, I loved my 360, PS3 was a joke. But in the last two years, the tables switched and MS dropped support for their system and Sony upped their game. A few years back, I could never have imagined feeling so negative towards Xbox like I do now. My 360 turned into a paperweight. Not every 360 fan was just there for Halo 'n Gears, MS. I STILL use my PS3 now. Now, granted, it could somehow change again, but this generation seems pretty set.

MercuryLS

Banned
This.

It's like when Metroid Prime 3 can out for the Wii. In the back of my mind, I always wondered: what this game would have looked like on 360-like hardware? Probably would have been amazing.

Ah well.

Bad feels when that happens. If Sony had cheapened out this gen on hardware I would have been gutted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom