• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueGrime

Was 360 last gen, now im Xbox One this gen. With a little bit of 3DS on the side.

I'll admit the only reason I haven't made the switch to PS4 is because I'm finding I'm having the same difficulties adjusting to the controller when I tried playing PS3. The analogs to me feel out of place. Especially when I try to play FPS games.

There is no superior XBL Gold features compared to PS Plus.
*If* all Xbox One multiplayer games had cloud server support (to help with latency issues) that would be one hell of an enormous +1 for Xbox Live.

But I've only seen it mentioned in support of Forza 5 and Titanfall. Have there been more? Was it ever the goal? And is it the goal moving forward?

I hope we can bring the discussion back on track. I have a question to people who switched to PS4 this gen:

Do you feel you've had enough information about Playstation, PSN, services, etc. when you switched? I can imagine how it can feel to buy into an ecosystem which is foreign to you. I've had the opposite experience of Xbox and Nintendo consoles and there were always questions I found quite difficult even to google. There's GAF where you can ask good people but not everybody is here or can be.

Personally, knowing how Sony handled the later PS3 years was more than enough for me. Though we may not have set in stone dates for future updates, we do know the general road map of what they plan to do with both the PS4 and the network in general and I find it to be pretty great. PSNow seems like something that could be really cool. The potential for VR is very interesting. And general improvements like MP3 streaming, DLNA, and suspend/resume will improve the experience. I also can't wait to get HBO Go.

All in all, I think there's good future ahead and I feel, at the moment, Sony is much better prepared to deliver on it and take things a step forward (similar to the way MS took things forward with the 360 back in 2006). Still, you never know, it could be the PSNow is a mess and their VR is a joke, but I try to be optimistic.

Resolutiongate plays a big part in all of this aswell I mean I can play COD Ghosts on PS4 at full 1080p while XBONE only plays it at 720p and PS4 is 100 dollars cheaper, people love value and are willing jump ecosystems just to play a next gen COD the cheapest and best way possible. The brand loyal consumers are a very small part of the gaming landscape.

Yea, dismissing the technical differences on the grounds that casuals don't care is absurd. Casual gamers don't need to know or understand what the differences are. All they need to know is PS4 = Cheaper and better version of your favorite games. That's all it takes. As this fact keeps spreading via word of mouth, it'll only continue to help PS4.

*If* all Xbox One multiplayer games had cloud server support (to help with latency issues) that would be one hell of an enormous +1 for Xbox Live.

But I've only seen it mentioned in support of Forza 5 and Titanfall. Have there been more? Was it ever the goal? And is it the goal moving forward?

Now that would definitely be something, but I get the feeling that it won't be used much outside of MS' exclusives.

I'll admit the only reason I haven't made the switch to PS4 is because I'm finding I'm having the same difficulties adjusting to the controller when I tried playing PS3. The analogs to me feel out of place. Especially when I try to play FPS games.

That's totally understandable, but like anything you get use to it, especially with the DS4 its so much easier to use.

Moneal

Had both last gen, bought both this gen. Exclusives on both I have no intention of missing out on. I have to wonder, how many of those "had both last gen, bought PS4" people are planning to buy an Xbone later on, I wonder? Can't blame people for prioritizing one console purchase over another, considering how much the total cost ends up being.

I still don't think all this launch window comparison stuff matters all that much. The consumers who will decide the winner of the two are not early adopters, know nothing of the Resolutiongate situation, and don't even know what "DRM" stands for.

I don't think it has as much to do with DRM or Resolution. its more about ps4 is 100 dollars cheaper and plus is 10 dollars cheaper a year. its harder now than ever to have more than one console, due to having to pay for MP. I think less people this gen will have both ps4 and xbox one than had 360 and ps3 last gen due to ps4 requiring plus for mp. Xbox one exclusives are almost all MP games, fable is really the only one i can think of, so they will require xbl. its harder to say, "Ill get <insert console here> for exclusives." when you have to keep both xbl and psplus to play mp games.

And with multiplats playing and looking better on ps4 this gen where as 360 was better last gen, it makes ps4 look even better as being the one console for most people. MS exclusives have not been that greatly varied and most are comparable to many multiplats, where as sony has always put out a varied lineup of exclusives. the reason that many had both ps3 and 360 last gen, to play exclusives on ps3 and multiplats on 360. I really think it will get harder and harder for MS to sell the xbox one unless they start putting out similarly varied exclusives to sony. especially with online requiring a 50-60 dollar a year additional purchase for each console.

Dartastic

I'm not going to read this entire thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but with Playstation I don't have to pay a fee in order to get my video services like Netflix, and that's a big deal. The fact that I still have to pay for Gold to get that is absolute bullshit.

udiie

So, would list why you think XBL is superior now? I honestly want to know.

I'll offer my opinion, but I won't console warrior my way to banishment.
XBL used to be superior. It is still good, but no longer the dominant one it once was.

I think what Marley meant was that stable online and party chat are not advantages because of the two consoles sharing those features. No comment on this...

Personally (and I mean personally), since the March XB1 update, I've found the XB1 party to chat to be just as good as the 360's. I guess in an added plus, the voice chat sound quality of the XB1 is far superior to that of the PS4; a minus for MS in this department though, the PS4 does not require any sort of additional attachment for the use of a third party headset- this is awesome in my opinion.

The free games and discounts are somewhat subjective; I don't argue this sort of stuff because I personally like the offerings for PS+ more, but find the exclusive discounts pretty even.

Paywall sucks. Plain and simple.

Overall from past gen I'd had a more pleasant experience with XBL than PSN. Now though, the two services have their ups and downs. The great constant updates for the XB1 as of late have certainly shown me that there is definitely someone listening to the complaints and actually doing something about it.
But the additional rentals/free psn library certainly gives the edge to Sony. I really hope the two continue to learn from each other and build off of each other because it can really only lead to a better experience for gamers.

TrueGrime

That's totally understandable, but like anything you get use to it, especially with the DS4 its so much easier to use.

You know.. I just did a search for playstation controllers with the xbox analog decision and some actually popped up! That would pretty much solve my only grievance. It's just a matter of how good these 3rd party controllers really are.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I bought both systems last gen (PS3 only last year, though). I do not plan on getting an Xbox One, and it has little to do with the DRM stuff and nothing to do with spite. I just absolutely can't stand the Kinect integration and focus on multimedia functionality. I loved the 360 and the PS4 actually feels like an evolution of that system to me, whereas the Xbox One is some completely different mutation that I want no part of.

Wait till there's 5 must have games that are exclusive. You bought a ps3 6 years after it came out? Don't rule our the Xbox One then.

thats the funny thing bud.
what exactly is being paid for with XBL?
people think they have servers for all XB games, and think all PS games are p2p.

This cloud talk basically means games moving forward are gonna be more socially interconnected.

So its not the idea moving foward, rather a justification of a 60$ fee. I would expect Microsoft to provide monthly games at some point tho. Maybe Below?

XBL used to be superior. It is still good, but no longer the dominant one it once was.

I think what Marley meant was that stable online and party chat are not advantages because of the two consoles sharing those features. No comment on this...

Personally (and I mean personally), since the March XB1 update, I've found the XB1 party to chat to be just as good as the 360's. I guess in an added plus, the voice chat sound quality of the XB1 is far superior to that of the PS4; a minus for MS in this department though, the PS4 does not require any sort of additional attachment for the use of a third party headset- this is awesome in my opinion.

The free games and discounts are somewhat subjective; I don't argue this sort of stuff because I personally like the offerings for PS+ more, but find the exclusive discounts pretty even.

Overall from past gen I'd had a more pleasant experience with XBL than PSN. Now though, the two services have their ups and downs. The great constant updates for the XB1 as of late have certainly shown me that there is definitely someone listening to the complaints and actually doing something about it.
But the additional rentals/free psn library certainly gives the edge to Sony. I really hope the two continue to learn from each other and build off of each other because it can really only lead to a better experience for gamers.

Now see, yours is a far better argument. Both services definitely have theirs ups and downs, but when it comes down to it, both offer a stable online experience. As another poster noted, if all XB1 games used Azure servers, it's be a big plus but unfortunately they don't.

The main differentiation, imo, is the instant game collection and the different paywall. Those are the two big factors that really drive me away from XBLG. I feel MS really needs to add something of value, something that makes XBLG stand out like it did back during early last gen. Something that warrants that $60 a year (which is also more than Sony charges for Plus).

TrueGrime

thats the funny thing bud.
what exactly is being paid for with XBL?
people think they have servers for all XB games, and think all PS games are p2p.

This cloud talk basically means games moving forward are gonna be more socially interconnected.

So its not the idea moving foward, rather a justification of a 60$ fee. I would expect Microsoft to provide monthly games at some point tho. Maybe Below?

I would think that a lot of people that are paying for XBL have been doing so for quite some time. I hit my 10 year mark last year. I can tell you that during the original Xbox and 360 days that XBL users got what they paid for and more. The service was unmatched. Now that PS+ has caught up to and in some ways, surpassed XBL, it's just staying with the eco system that they are used to. Not to mention the friends that they've kept for years and years. There can be personal ties to the service that goes beyond.. well.. service.

Awesome and smart post : )

BigDug13

I would think that a lot of people that are paying for XBL have been doing so for quite some time. I hit my 10 year mark last year. I can tell you that during the original Xbox and 360 days that XBL users got what they paid for and more. The service was unmatched. Now that PS+ has caught up to and in some ways, surpassed XBL, it's just staying with the eco system that they are used to. Not to mention the friends that they've kept for years and years. There can be personal ties to the service that goes beyond.. well.. service.

That's really the crux of this survey though. Groups of friends are bailing on Xbox Ecosystem in favor of starting over with PS4. There's very little overlap in capability to keep someone tied to the ecosystem beyond a friend list. You can't even voice chat with 360 people using the XBO. They couldn't even be bothered to release a Skype app for 360 which would have at least facilitated voice comms between 360 and XBO.

IF every friend is jumping to XBO, then the group of friends moves together. But if a majority of them want to switch, suddenly the whole group switches to PS4.

TrueGrime

That's really the crux of this survey though. Groups of friends are bailing on Xbox Ecosystem in favor of starting over with PS4. There's very little overlap in capability to keep someone tied to the ecosystem beyond a friend list. You can't even voice chat with 360 people using the XBO. They couldn't even be bothered to release a Skype app for 360 which would have at least facilitated voice comms between 360 and XBO.

IF every friend is jumping to XBO, then the group of friends moves together. But if a majority of them want to switch, suddenly the whole group switches to PS4.

And therein lies the problem for a lot of Xbox users. It would be nice to keep a core group together but that isn't always the case when you switch generations. I had to go through the same thing when I switched from the original Xbox to the 360. Eventually, most of those friends made it to 360 as well. However, this time the gap between friends left behind to catch up will be more prevalent. People are sticking with their 360's. People are switching to PS4. I'm lucky that a lot of my online gamer friends made the next-gen leap with me.

As someone who has used both Live and PS+ quite extensively the biggest advantage PS+ has over Live is cost... all over.

The yearly cost is less.

Games are less (considerably so in most cases).

The multiple free games across 3 platforms is like a big cherry on top.

It's much much tougher to quantify why anyone would consider Live to be the better service. It cost more and gates more features behind it while providing limited feedback.

If the voice chat is fixed that might (?) be better?

It is better than 'Games for Windows Live' though... good lord was that awful.

BigDug13

Yeah the "free game" value of PS+ is "ok" if you just own a PS4. But if you also own a Vita and a PS3 still, it's a ridiculous value of free games each month for that same $50 a year. PS+ gets better the more Playstation devices you own.

I think PS3 problems had to do more with Hardware. Most importantly the RAM. making the system a horrible multitasker. Couldnt party chat, limited background downloading, .. And much more. Then there is the Wifi chip.
PS3 had two monsters in tech with Bluray and Cell. (Both were expensive and rather alien) No matter what was done in the backend, the frontstart? wouldnt benefit much.

PS+ was the answer to this. A way to charge consumers for some network improvements without promising the hardware impossible like party chat and backloading.

Ironically XB1 has a issue with RAM.

idnt think XBL was ever justified. Rather XB360 had some hardware advantages. Plus PSN was free.

Now I dont like paying for online features. But Sony was pretty slick about it. Offering Games on top, and not being dickish to those who didnt subscribe, I can toast to that.

XBL is the only internet voice service you have to pay for.

Not Google Hangouts, Not Facetime, Not PSN Voice Chat...

Theres just so many things to dislike.

I'm still not convinced the PS4 isn't online required. Has anyone even tested this?

Edge said so and they have another rumor about the PS4 so they know their shit.

As the spokesperson for "all" I hereby apologize for hatin' on Mort. It's not his fault he is the false prophet and spreader of lies and deceit.

It's not his fault, he's getting into journalism, so is slowly and surely catching parity. I don't think you can get a cream for it.

And therein lies the problem for a lot of Xbox users. It would be nice to keep a core group together but that isn't always the case when you switch generations. I had to go through the same thing when I switched from the original Xbox to the 360. Eventually, most of those friends made it to 360 as well. However, this time the gap between friends left behind to catch up will be more prevalent. People are sticking with their 360's. People are switching to PS4. I'm lucky that a lot of my online gamer friends made the next-gen leap with me.

Yep theres little to stay within XB ecosystem compared the PS ecosystem.

PS+ gives you games spread thur PS4, PS3, PSV, even to PSP.

Then chat works between PS4 and PSV

Then theres crossplay/crosssave/crossbuy

Local Emulation of PS1 and PS2 titles for PS4 is being worked on as well. Adding a huge reason now to switch or even a reason to come back. PS1 & PS2 game purchases from PS3 would transfer over to PS4 to redownload.

(while emulation of XB1 games is possible, its not rich or noteworthy as PS1&PS2 library)

Even if that falls to be false.
Theres PSNow thats add to loyalty to the PS ecosystem. It would play PS1, PS2, PS3 games. Streaming so its unlikely that PS1 and PS2 games purchased from PS3 would transfer.

xbone is weaker at a higher price, exclusives is subjective as always, but the first two points are facts that can not be debated, ms could have gotten away with a weaker system at price parity, not exactly sure what they were thinking.

zhao3gold

Banned
In last gen, many PS2 owners jumped to the ship of Xbox 360 and in the current gen, many 360 owners are jumping to Playstation 4.

I think, first of all, every purchasing choice needs to be respected, whatever change your console choice or stay at the same boat.

As a Xbox fan, it is a pity to see this is happening, but it is not gamers' fault. MS made so many mistakes and now this is the consequence.

The only method for MS to stay competitive is to deliver many 1st party exclusives. Then, I hope, some day, some PS4 gamers will pick a Xbox One as their secondary console for those exclusive games.

Enjoy your Playstation 4 / Xbox One / Wii U~

Duxxy3

I was surprised when my brother told me he is thinking about getting a PS4 soon. He bought an XB1 at launch, and he has basically only used a 360 for this past generation.

When I asked him why he wasn't as happy with the XB1 he told me because of the controller (hates it, loves the 360 controller enough to get cronus max), was disappointed by the graphics, and (to my own surprise) that he genuinely dislikes Titanfall. He was hyped a crazy amount when they showed it off last year, but the Beta really put him off for some reason. He still bought the game anyhow, and he just doesn't like it. He still hates Ghosts, just likely everybody else.

My brother would probably be classified under dude bro gamer. I thought for sure that he would go crazy over Titanfall.

It's just one person, but I think graphics are going to matter more than people expect, and Titanfall may not be the system seller that people expect.

Bought both machines at launch as did most of my closest gaming friends. But we have all stuck with xbox one and hardly touched the PS4. None of us (perhaps because we are older and these things matter less?) care about things like resolution. We just stuck with MS eco system this gen as it was what we used last gen when we all used the 360 the most.

Anecdotal I know, but there you go

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's just one person, but I think graphics are going to matter more than people expect, and Titanfall may not be the system seller that people expect.
He still bought the system and the game so... :p

None of us (perhaps because we are older and these things matter less?) care about things like resolution.
Maybe you are all successful in your careers and play in large rooms so you sit farther away than these college and high school kids with their FullHD and anti-aliasing and frame-rate.

Daffy Duck

Care to to tell me what exactly makes XBL superior? Outside of some vague "Better online" (which doesn't even make sense since most games use the same servers on both consoles, MS and Sony have nothing to do with that) and "better communication" (lol, I don't even).

MS don't turn off Xbox Live for 'maintenance'.

Jack_AG

Banned
It doesn't. We're not even six months into the generation and people are pointing fingers at whatever console and basically saying they're done for. Even more surprising is that a lot of people want certain consoles to fail. That's pretty sad.
Its kinda hard not to want a console to fail that tried to do its best to fuck the consumer as hard as it possibly could. Really. Its hard to actually cheer for that kind of garbage. Sure, its changed, but it took tooth and nail for it to happen.

I think people still want another console around, just not MS's vision of what that console is. You know they will try this shit again as they see this type of future as inevitable. Hell, we have some people here who are actually high enough to say "it was way ahead of its time". So we know there are people that fall for MSs garbage. They will try again.

Clockwork5

The title of the thread does not accurately describe the findings of the survey which was conducted... You would think for a blurb of a couple sentences one would be able to sum it up for the thread title, but anyway...

yeah i switched too.

Edit: I now see the Yahoo article has the same inaccurate title. OP is forgiven :p

killatopak

Gold Member
I gotta ask.

Are there Playstation owners that have switched to Xbox?

I mean I can see the appeal of Kinect if you're a family guy.

Discusguy

Its kinda hard not to want a console to fail that tried to do its best to fuck the consumer as hard as it possibly could. Really. Its hard to actually cheer for that kind of garbage. Sure, its changed, but it took tooth and nail for it to happen.

I think people still want another console around, just not MS's vision of what that console is. You know they will try this shit again as they see this type of future as inevitable. Hell, we have some people here who are actually high enough to say "it was way ahead of its time". So we know there are people that fall for MSs garbage. They will try again.

The future is already happening with PS+. but everyone seems happy with that because it's coming from the console they favor and the price.

EGM1966

I gotta ask.

Are there Playstation owners that have switched to Xbox?

I mean I can see the appeal of Kinect if you're a family guy.

There must be some but you've gotta suspect it's less traffic than heading the other way. I'd say the market perception is probably still that Playstation / Nintendo platforms are more family orientated and thus far the PS4 has produced more obviously family orientated stuff (albeit not much just more than XB1 from an advertising standpoint).

CCIE

Banned
It's not really unorganized when you get used to it. Click left of the main screen and it takes you an area that you can customize that the apps you want. Hell, if you want to go to a specific area, you just say where you want to go. It really isn't that bad as some people are making it out to be.

I bought an XB1 awhile ago. Interface sucks for me though (Metro is a steaming pile), and even the media features for Blu Ray are horrible. Wife didn't even like it. XB1 was returned and the PS3/PS4 sit under the TV with no XBox of any sort. Gave 360 to teenagers. Need a remote for the PS4 and all will be good.

Done with MS pending an overhaul of the OS, and some decent Blu-Ray functionality... The "media" box doesn't even match the PS3 in features

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's because people don't understand the difference between Microsoft as a whole vs. the Xbox division. Just like they don't understand the difference between Sony as a whole and SCE.

They point out that MS has a ton of money, but the thing is, Xbox is a tiny fraction of their corporation. So while MS has a ton of money, they may not be willing to spend more and more on Xbox, a brand that has yet to make them any money and that seems to be sinking more and more.

On the other hand, while Sony as a whole is doing pretty terrible, Playstation is absolutely a pivotal part of their business. They're not going to let it fail and they'll do everything within their power to make sure it doesn't. So while they may not have the money that MS has, they will put their full weight behind PlayStation if necessary.

best post in thread, excellent

tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif

man, I made this exact point earlier in the thread..
I want a cookie too :(

Furyous

It's because people don't understand the difference between Microsoft as a whole vs. the Xbox division. Just like they don't understand the difference between Sony as a whole and SCE.

They point out that MS has a ton of money, but the thing is, Xbox is a tiny fraction of their corporation. So while MS has a ton of money, they may not be willing to spend more and more on Xbox, a brand that has yet to make them any money and that seems to be sinking more and more.

On the other hand, while Sony as a whole is doing pretty terrible, Playstation is absolutely a pivotal part of their business. They're not going to let it fail and they'll do everything within their power to make sure it doesn't. So while they may not have the money that MS has, they will put their full weight behind PlayStation if necessary.

No business throws money at a failing division for the sole purpose of losing money no matter how much liquidity they have. In all honesty, Microsoft's CEO loves services so I see Xbox sticking around to boost service adoption. At the very least most of those services will remain free and come with discounts for Xbox One subscribers. However, Elop won't accept mounting losses forever. I just wish there was someone beside Elop making decisions that has some background within this culture.

Jack_AG

Banned
The future is already happening with PS+. but everyone seems happy with that because it's coming from the console they favor and the price.
You dont have to have PS+ to purchase the content you get with PS+. That's what we call "options". The only option MS provided was to simply not buy the damn thing. They didnt offer an alternative. Your point is moot, sir.

Jack cw

Competition is good for the industry. MS seeing this early shift is forcing them to rethink strategies and offerings.

They are rethinking their strategy since Sony unveiled the PS4 last February. All they do is reacting instead of being pro active with any of their approach. The latest "rethinking" was ditching Kinects reserved GPU resources because the thing wasnt even used properly. All these shifts doesnt really give confidence to consumers.

Nozem

Went from PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 + 360 -> PS4 only.

It will take an exclusive FF7/8/9 remake or something like that to make me get an Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom