• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
It's not impacting Sony at all, MS is shitting the bed and Sony can't feed the thirst and they've really not put any effort into creating demand yet.

Competition is only good if it's actually concerning the front runner, Sony are probably more scared of Apple TV's refresh right now.

ZehDon

...However, Elop won't accept mounting losses forever. I just wish there was someone beside Elop making decisions that has some background within this culture.
Well, this might actually play in the Xbone's favour. So far, the people who have handled the Xbone have basically thrown away the combined brand reinforcement of the previous eight years with arguably the worst pre-launch campaign in the history of the industry. The Xbone's relative failure is a result of anti-consumer decision making, and a focus on a peripheral no one likes, to power games/experiences that no one is making for an audience that doesn't exist.

The Xbone itself is actually profitable, however they can't recoup the +US$1b they spent getting their first wave of games, the US$400m on the NFL deal, and the US$100m on the controller (lol?) and all the rest on marketing, with a weaker console at a higher price that provides an experience that has been rejected by the market. If Elop has to get the brand making money, he might be the one to finally make the tough decision and drop Kinect, lower the price and kill the "The One Entertainment Box" rubbish that has cost them their market share.

Of course, he could also burn it to the ground like Nokia, but a 50% chance is better than the current "snow ball's chance in hell" the the Xbone has of doing significant numbers WW.

MercuryLS

Banned
A good Netflix like service for games and not gimping the machine if you don't want to pay. Or in other words actually trying to give you a reason to pay for it (and it's a good reason) vs trying to coerce you into paying (pay or else your machine will be severely limited). To me that in itself is a huge advantage. I like when my money actually goes to something that has earned it/ deserves it. Not some company that wants me to give them money for nothing just cause they feel they can force me into it or at the very least fool me into thinking they are adding value (so either they think that they are my boss and can tell me what to do or they think I'm stupid and will fall for their BS of "added value". Take your pick).

Yup, I hated paying for XBLG because I felt like I was being bamboozled (I was). PS+ has enough value outside of online MP that I have no problem paying $50 (really $30 on sale) for it every year. I've already gotten more than $30 value from the free games on PS4 as it is and it's only been a few months.

MercuryLS

Banned
Had both last gen, bought both this gen. Exclusives on both I have no intention of missing out on. I have to wonder, how many of those "had both last gen, bought PS4" people are planning to buy an Xbone later on, I wonder? Can't blame people for prioritizing one console purchase over another, considering how much the total cost ends up being.

I still don't think all this launch window comparison stuff matters all that much. The consumers who will decide the winner of the two are not early adopters, know nothing of the Resolutiongate situation, and don't even know what "DRM" stands for.

I owned both last gen, at least for me, the paid subs for both systems has forced my hand to get one or the other. I don't feel that it's worth it to own both and pay 2 subs for largely the same system with 90% of the same games. I think the number of multi console owners are going to be a lot lower this gen.

Beerculies

Neo Member
Some people aren't that devoted to the hobby or have other things requiring funds.

its strange that people who aren't devoted to the hobby are taken as the only people who matter in this "war" i don't understand why people purchase game systems based of specs in that light everyone should own a gaming pc.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
its strange that people who aren't devoted to the hobby are taken as the only people who matter in this "war" i don't understand why people purchase game systems based of specs in that light everyone should own a gaming pc.
But no gaming PC beats the PS4 at this point in time for price and performance, thus making it the obvious choice for people that want to get the best bang for your buck while not exceeding a certain investment threshold.

Calling yourself a gamer and saying someone "should" own a particular gaming format is laughable

Well, this might actually play in the Xbone's favour. So far, the people who have handled the Xbone have basically thrown away the combined brand reinforcement of the previous eight years with arguably the worst pre-launch campaign in the history of the industry. The Xbone's relative failure is a result of anti-consumer decision making, and a focus on a peripheral no one likes, to power games/experiences that no one is making for an audience that doesn't exist.

The Xbone itself is actually profitable, however they can't recoup the +US$1b they spent getting their first wave of games, the US$400m on the NFL deal, and the US$100m on the controller (lol?) and all the rest on marketing, with a weaker console at a higher price that provides an experience that has been rejected by the market. If Elop has to get the brand making money, he might be the one to finally make the tough decision and drop Kinect, lower the price and kill the "The One Entertainment Box" rubbish that has cost them their market share.

Of course, he could also burn it to the ground like Nokia, but a 50% chance is better than the current "snow ball's chance in hell" the the Xbone has of doing significant numbers WW.

I agree, no one deeply involved in xbone has the heart to kill kinect, because they are too heavily invested in it. That kind of a decision is only going to come from someone who didn't just spend the last 4 years of his/her life developing it.

However, the push for services and multi-functionality is probably coming straight from the top of MS's coporate structure. I don't think you can blame the division for how that played out.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps people are tired of paying for a service that offers nothing of value, especially when compared with it's competitor?

Exactly. I barely game online so Xbox Live was never a good value for me. PS+ is worth it for the free games and extra discounts as it mostly pays for itself for me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

The point was that a majority of mainstream gamers probably only buy one console. Thus they are the ones that determine which console sells more. Not hardcores who buy every console and thus don't tip the tide one way or the other.

What happened with that "xbox division has never ever made money, any profits were from mobile patents" stuff?

Was that ever disproven or proven true? I recall the xbox division was considered a money pit, and then it finally turned it around about 2 years ago, and then a few months ago there were investors saying the miracle never really happen, and MS were hiding its unprofitability behind the patent royalties which are in the same division.

Meier

Am curious here - whats not to like about it? Its one of the biggest reasons I was able to go from the 360 to the PS4. Its as straightforward to use as the 360, or has the new Xbox improved things enough that that not up to snuff? If anything I've heard the bone has gone backwards in some ways, but maybe that's been fixed already.

I do wish they'd up the party chat to at least 12 or so in the instances we have more than 8 on for FIFA. The other issue is that it's not particularly easy to see someone's "gamertag" and invite them if they're not a friend. Or even to invite them as a friend without manually typing it out. Needs to be some sort of way to see their profile as a pop-up.

I do wish they'd up the party chat to at least 12 or so in the instances we have more than 8 on for FIFA. The other issue is that it's not particularly easy to see someone's "gamertag" and invite them if they're not a friend. Or even to invite them as a friend without manually typing it out. Needs to be some sort of way to see their profile as a pop-up.

I'm not sure if that is a FIFA thing, but it's fairly easy to do in battlefield or warframe.

Select a player in the scoreboard/social menu, click on their profile, select chat icon (headset picture) and invite them to party.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My hope is that MS will somewhat get their act together and salvage the Xbox One into being a moderately successful gaming machine.

However, I want the PS4 to win and kick its ass, because it is the better machine.

Sony needs MS to keep them honest, but MS is making it so easy for them.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

It's up to the person whether the differing exclusives warrant the purchase of either console. It's similar to considernig the benefits of an Android device that don't exist on iOS and vice versa. This aside, why would I choose a console that's more expensive and weaker?

$4000 cameras exist, but if I can't afford that (comparable to a PC), I'll go with the most valuable $800 camera (consoles). There are a number of cameras around this price, so I'm going to look for the biggest bang for my buck. Just because you're not going for the most expensive product doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the specifications of anything below. That's silly.

CoG

So simple. I'm sad that MS, the "engineers ... who made DirectX" can't see this.

There were people at MS who wanted to make the 360 Mach II but were shut down by the suits who wanted to conquer the living room.

Engineer: "So we designed the next Xbox around a massive GPU with very fast RAM for maximum gaming performance."
Exec 1: "Hmmm. Games, yeah, I guess. Well, the problem with the Xbox is not so much power, it's that people shut it off and do other things."
Exec 2: "True! If only there were a way for the next Xbox to *always* be on, even when you're watching TV"
Exec 1: "Yes and with Kinect always watching, think of the advertising possibilities! Engineer. Cut out space on the SOC for all that shit or you're fired."

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

Recouping past expenses is not a concern for Elop, he can just write it off and blame past management. But he has to think about future profitability, and with every other division operating at 40% margin, Xbox can't continually lag behind. Microsoft is not going to spend boatloads of money on buying timed exclusivities without somebody showing how that is going to show a significant improvement in their bottom line. This is going to be difficult with the box itself selling at basically zero margin. Live Gold used to be a cash cow, but we don't know what is going to happen to its subsriber base. It could be that the current 38% (according to Pachter) is actually going down.

One thing to consider also is that R&D for next gen Xbox would require a lot of capital, and with the new management getting that investment green lit could be trickier than before.

Mrbob

Had both last gen, bought both this gen. Exclusives on both I have no intention of missing out on. I have to wonder, how many of those "had both last gen, bought PS4" people are planning to buy an Xbone later on, I wonder? Can't blame people for prioritizing one console purchase over another, considering how much the total cost ends up being.

I still don't think all this launch window comparison stuff matters all that much. The consumers who will decide the winner of the two are not early adopters, know nothing of the Resolutiongate situation, and don't even know what "DRM" stands for.

Early adopters are trend setters. What they buy their friends will get. Don't be naive and think it doesn't matter.

Also, mainstream consumers aren't oblivious to everything so I don't know why you paint them with such a bad brush. They may not know all the exact details in depth but they have heard the generalities.

Darksol

Lol. 1700 person poll.

More significant polls have been taken on less.

Random people who could be lying.

How would that differ from any other survey?

More X1's sold at the same point in time than the 360.

Production capabilities today eclipse what was possible during the previous generation of consoles. It's difficult to compare what the 360 would have sold on a similar timeline, were all things equal.

I also switched from XBox to PS4. The constant money grabs from MS finally did me in I switched over to the darkside.. I'm glad I did also. I have been really enjoying my time on the PS4

Yazuka

My friend did this, jumped form X360 to PS4. He didn't even give it a second thought and he has always been very pro 360, so that took me by surprise at least.

benny_a

My friend did this, jumped form X360 to PS4. He didn't even give it a second thought and he has always been very pro 360, so that took me by surprise at least.
Usually I would accept this anecdotal story without any suspicion but miDnIghtEr20C has opened my eyes to just how many people lie on the internet.

So you have to do better than that Yazuka!
I want gamertags, pictures of the 360 controller zoomed in so I can evaluate the grease. Social security numbers and the last 6 months of bank statements.

It's not the total sample, it's the portion of the sample they are referring to, which is PS3/X360 cross-owners. 10% of that total could be that, we don't know, but then the sample gets to <300, and then you're talking about % of those remaining sample, which then makes the whole portion in the survey being referred to as statistically insignificant.

ryan299

My hope is that MS will somewhat get their act together and salvage the Xbox One into being a moderately successful gaming machine.

However, I want the PS4 to win and kick its ass, because it is the better machine.

Both systems are estimated to sell more than the 360 and ps3 did. Thats a success. Microsoft got last place last generation but nobody talks about that, they talk about how big a success the 360 was. People need to get off this first or last place mentality. Both systems selling is what's best.

I also switched from XBox to PS4. The constant money grabs from MS finally did me in I switched over to the darkside.. I'm glad I did also. I have been really enjoying my time on the PS4

Did exactly the same for the the same reasons. 8 years of paying for XBL with very little in return always left a bad taste. PS+ is so refreshing coming from XBL the free PS4 games have been great. Also last month went and bought a vita to take advantage of 10+ free vita games I have got.

Forza, Ryse etc micro transactions have made me feel like giving MS a miss this gen, or at least wait a few years.

Except that there are cross platform games and exclusives that people enjoy that never make it to PC. If that wasn't the case I would only own a gaming PC. As it is, I own more than a gaming PC because of the games I want to play. So, since I'm going to buy one, I might as well buy the more powerful box that is cheaper from the company that has had the exclusives over time that I enjoy more.

PJV3

Well in my case I've been gaming since the 70s, usually I only buy one machine, I'm not devoted to gaming, I merely enjoy it. I've never got into PC gaming besides Spit wad Willy.

Biker19

Banned
Went from PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 + 360 -> PS4 only.

It will take an exclusive FF7/8/9 remake or something like that to make me get an Xbox One.

Same, though I don't think I'll ever get a Xbox One, because I'm quite frankly not big on shooters & sports games like Microsoft has with most of their exclusives. The biggest reason why I bought a 360 last gen was for the superior multiplat titles, the large XBLA/indie gaming library, & for the Arcade Shoot-'Em-Up genre of games that didn't come out on PS3.

I don't really care about one console or the other "kicking ass." What I would like to see, however, is the death of moneyhatted exclusives. I want people to be able to enjoy as many games as possible on their platform of choice. I'd prefer the only exclusives to be the ones that are developed first party.

It seemingly makes little sense for a 3rd party to release a game exclusively for the X1/PS4 when the architecture is so similar between the two and it provides a much larger market. It's just frustrating as a gamer to see great games blocked out for many gamers purely because someone paid to keep it off.

You really have no idea how statistical polls work do you? You really just want to write something and hit post right?

tell me how they work then. All I see is a random poll of 1700 people. How does that equate into this is a fact? I have 4 friends that had only a PS3. They all got an Xbox One this time.

Is this really a big deal? Meh, I guess it is for some of you. This type of thing happens all the time when consoles release. I remember these types of polls when 360 and PS3 came out.

Everyone is jumping to the 360. PS3 doomed!

benny_a

Is this really a big deal? Meh, I guess it is for some of you. This type of thing happens all the time when consoles release. I remember these types of polls when 360 and PS3 came out.

Everyone is jumping to the 360. PS3 doomed!
But the 360 was a huge success and the PS3 a pretty huge failure. So I guess your argument is that it is actually a big deal?

XeehYou

Neo Member
I've had both;however, I got rid of the One because I would buy multiplats for the PS4 and only exclusives for the One, having a gaming PC also made the choice easier because I picked up Titanfall for the PC. The One might be worth it to me later on when it gets some exclusives that are not on PC that I'm interested in, but right now it's PS4 and PC for me.

Krakn3Dfx

I was a pretty core 360 gamer for several years (well, after the PC), but eventually made the switch over the PS3 later in the generation for a few reasons, among them no fee to access stuff like Netflix and online play.

When they added the Plus program that gave you the IGC, I jumped on that tho, so I was back in the yearly subscription model, but at least I was getting something out of it other than access to systems that I either had for free on the PC already had to pay a premium for in the first place (Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hulu/etc).

Although I picked up both consoles at launch this time, the PS4 was the one I was most excited about for stuff like Infamous and the indie flood of titles that were announced. I ended up getting frustrated with the XB1's Kinect integration not working properly in my living room setup (wife literally ordered me to unhook the DTV receiver from the XB1 because she got frustrated having to turn on the console to get to TV, and the TV guide on the XB1 never worked right for us even after trying to set it up multiple times based on advise from people online), and sent it back to Amazon for a refund.

I will likely look at picking up and XB1 again sometime early next year though, once they've ironed out some of the more glaring issues I had hopefully or just streamlined the console to work properly without Kinect at all. Definitely interested in Quantum Break and I'm sure the XB1 will have some smaller indie stuff I want to play that they lock down to their platform.

But the 360 was a huge success and the PS3 a pretty huge failure. So I guess your argument is that it is actually a big deal?

Exactly. Sony lost it's entire lead in NA due to dropping the ball with the PS3 early on. Now it looks like MS has done the same, except they didn't start with as drastic of a lead worldwide.

It's not as hyperbolic as "oh noes! Death of Xbox!" But it is really starting to look like MS is going to be pretty far behind in world wide sales unless something dramatic changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom