• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed [WE DO IT!]

Matty77

Just hoping they do it right. This was my favorite game of the whole PSX generation, so this is now my most hyped and anticipated game, if it's true to the original first day full price purchase for me.

sugarless

REmake styled remake or bust!

giphy.gif

Who is this guy?

Truant

I played this to death on PC as a kid, but looing back on it I'm not keen on the city section. The focus away from horror to sci-fi was a mistake.

Davey Cakes

My advice is go crazy with it. Go modern. Implement some RE6 mechanics, fluidity and fun gameplay. Do not be afraid to experiment and do not be afraid to impose your creative vision of what you feel a Remake 2 should look and play like instead of listening to the fans.
The fans of the old style of game are likely the reason why REmake 2 even exists.

Resident Evil has plenty of other iterations, between RE6, Operation Raccoon City, Revelations 1 and 2, etc.

I think modern features but with classic design philosophy is the way to go.

I think it all makes sense for capcom. By updating the game they are giving games what they want and they are also making something they can sell for generations going forward, and given how much RE4 was re-released we know that's their ultimate aim here. I'm not complaining, since I adore RE2, but it's not hard to see why now is the time for dvelopers to start remaking ps1 games.

I think it's also a matter of "finishing the plates", so to speak. Give fans who want the older games to return some attention, build up that brand, and find a sweet spot for the main series.

It can only get better.

BreakAtmo

Why would this not be REmake style?

I figured the whole reason they pitched the idea to remake RE2 in the first place was because of the success of the REmake and RE0 remasters, which showed that there's still an audience for that style of game, especially within this franchise.

Ehhh, decent sales of a $20 remaster of a game from 2002 (so people would understand the use of tank controls) doesn't mean a brand-new $60 game with tank controls would fly. Personally my dream REmake2 would play like The Last of Us, but I'll take whatever they make.

duckroll

Lol, this looks more like a Kickstarter pitch video than a normal game announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8

It's kinda funny how direct communication with fans over the internet has changed a lot of PR approaches for certain types of game projects. This is certainly one of them since it's a heavily nostalgia driven thing. Well, glad Capcom is footing the bill anyway, so it won't actually need to be crowdfunded. :p

They can't do that with PS1 backgrounds, it'll be a true remake.

Well, let's see what they do.

The best thing would be a full-hd pre-rendered game. Could you imagine the graphics?

But I know they'll go the real-time route with fixed cameras, just like they did for some locations on Remake hd.

No need for a REmake treatment. Tank controls, fixed camera, all that stuff is well and good but folks who wanna experience that version of Resident Evil 2 can just play the original, since it has aged well, unlike RE1.

My advice is go crazy with it. Go modern. Implement some RE6 mechanics, fluidity and fun gameplay. Do not be afraid to experiment and do not be afraid to impose your creative vision of what you feel a Remake 2 should look and play like instead of listening to the fans.

This is great news. Can't wait for more footage.

SHUT

THE FUCK

UP.

Do not listen to this person's lies, Capcom.

Garlador

Shenmue III. The Last Guardian. Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Resident Evil 2 Remake.

... We're just a Half-Life 3 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 away from a full set.

What an amazing year for announcements.

artsi

Lol, this looks more like a Kickstarter pitch video than a normal game announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8

It's kinda funny how direct communication with fans over the internet has changed a lot of PR approaches for certain types of game projects. This is certainly one of them since it's a heavily nostalgia driven thing. Well, glad Capcom is footing the bill anyway, so it won't actually need to be crowdfunded. :p

It's also crazy that for the very first time the project was announced in a Facebook status update, lol.

Kamiya said he would love to work with Capcom again recently :p

Hopefully that's strictly for DMC5 or a new IP.
I don't think I want Kamiya around RE these days.

I could be wrong, but I feel like with RE2 Kamiya was on a pretty tight leash, Capcom corporate was very strict about what they wanted out of a RE sequel (especially after the first run at the game was scrapped and restarted), and because of that Kamiya had to really stick with Mikami's original feel of RE. Because of that the end result was concentrated and fantastic.

Now, Kamiya is this larger-than-life rockstar that just does what he wants and I think he'd let his own crazy ego get in the way of even making a simple, extended, cosmetic RE2 remake (ala RE1).
Let the man make crazy action games. He's the best in the business at it. There are others still at Capcom that worked on the classic REs that can handle a remake (hopefully) in the style of REmake.

I just feel like it works out well.
RE7 can continue doing new things and try to 'adapt to modern gamers' or whatever.
RE2make can speak to those of us that love classic RE. It's already a known quality. Just follow the lead of REmake.

About time Capcom. Now if only you had done this years ago instead of turning Resident Evil into crappy action games, that forgot about the horror elements the series was known for (RE 5 & 6)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't really trust Capcom to do this right. I'm suppose I'm morbidly curious to see how it turns out. Hopefully it's not the same team that made the abomination that was RE6.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
FF7 remake, Shenmue 3 and now REmake 2. Never thought I'd see all of this in a single year. This year has truly been great for gaming.
I'm still waiting for myself to wake up

No need for a REmake treatment. Tank controls, fixed camera, all that stuff is well and good but folks who wanna experience that version of Resident Evil 2 can just play the original, since it has aged well, unlike RE1.

This is great news. Can't wait for more footage.

RE2-esque ideas with modern mechanics is something they should keep for Revelations 3, but RE2 needs to stay a real/classic survival horror title.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Sweet! Can't wait!! Hopefully they do it justice and add some cool stuff at the same time.
Also, I really don't like that British guys shtick in the video in the OP. He is just too cool for school ain't he! LOL

BadWolf

RE2-esque ideas with modern mechanics is something they should keep for Revelations 3, but RE2 needs to stay a real/classic survival horror title.

RE2 is the last game they should be fucking around with.

Just give the fans exactly what they want and this game will continue to sell for years to come.

Levito

Banned
I honestly don't know why some of y'all want this to play like Resident Evil 4, the environments in RE2 don't suit that kind of gameplay at all. Resident Evil 4/5's enemies are built to surround, circle around, and overwhelm you. Resident Evil 2's environments are all narrow and small, it wouldn't work. They'd have to drastically change the gameplay and environments, the the point where there would be no point in remaking it.

Bring back tank controls, bring back the original gameplay(expand upon it), make it like REmake. Otherwise... yeah.

Top Bottom