• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

Even if/when the sequels do arrive on PS4, from a business perspective this makes sense for Microsoft.

By the time TitanFall 2 comes out, anybody that wanted the game badly enough to buy an Xbox One will have. And they'll obviously be more likely to go on to buy the sequels on Xbox One as well. It's a smart initial investment to try and make Xbox One the 'default' console for what could be a huge franchise, the same way that Xbox 360 became the unofficial default console for COD.

Plus, chances are they'll have some DLC exclusivity agreement for Titan Fall 2, just like they do for pretty much every major shooter, if not outright exclusivity over the next games as well (money talks, and EA is only publisher for the first title).

Microsoft is hoping Titanfall will offset the $100 price difference between the xb1 and ps4. They plan on leaving it at $500 as long as they can and are gambling on Titanfall and the "all in one" marketing matching or outselling the ps4 in sales. We'll see if that works. Of course, if the 720p stuff keeps popping up, which Titanfall is rumoured to run at as well, it will continue to hurt them.

He's trying to get a reputation of doubting leakers, even though they CLEARLY have inside sources. It's pretty fucking embarrassing and sad.

Krilekk is nothing more than an annoying mosquito, CBOAT doesn't have to do a thing.

To be honest I just some CBOAT Necro thread humiliation again. Is that so much to ask?

yea i was thinking about 2015 or so. you also have to look at how long the life of MP games are these days. A new COD and Battlefield come out every year. you also got games like destiny coming next year too. I don't think Titanfall will have large dedicated MP base for 2 years. It will probably sell 2m or maybe more one xbox one, seeing as the user base will be smaller for the most part. Again when the bulk of the 360 people are moving to next gen I see many siding with PS4 this time around because their more core friends are heading that way, and they are seeing that multiplat games, like cod, bf, and madden look and play better on PS4.

Tough to say.

Halo 3 went toe-to-toe with THREE iterations of COD (MW, WaW, and MW2) every month on the Xbox Live charts, Reach did the same for slightly less time (and Halo 4 multiplayer was shit, so I'm not shocked it fell off a cliff relatively fast).

Likewise, as new COD games came out over the course of the last generation, the previous version never dropped off the map. It would get replaced at the top of the charts by the new one, but significant amounts of people would still be playing last year's version, especially as the differences between the IW games and the Treyarch games got more pronounced.

So I'd argue there's plenty of precedent for multiplayer games maintaining their audience for 18 months or so at least, even in the face of competition (or even in the face of their successors).

Titan Fall could do the same, it depends entirely on how good it is, and how well it is supported with map packs and such.

Cboat am cry. Your tears are my bidet. So yesterday practically killed all insiders, first confirmation that rumours about the struggling Xbox OS were made up, then no timed exclusive for Titanfall. Tales from their butt.
sigh....
I just want to quote this post for posterity when the time comes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think there'll be a sequel for fall/winter 2015.

It must suck for Respawn to be trying to float a 'big new franchise' without what's looking to be the leading next-gen console out of the gate. They'll probably want to make the transition to full multiplatform ASAP, and I imagine EA probably wants to shift the franchise from a Spring cycle to holidays. Fall/winter 2016 would be a big gap, I think they'll want to keep the momentum high for the franchise.

Hanmik

It must suck for Respawn to be trying to float a 'big new franchise' without what's looking to be the leading next-gen console out of the gate. They'll probably want to make the transition to full multiplatform ASAP, and I imagine EA probably wants to shift the franchise from a Spring cycle to holidays. Fall/winter 2016 would be a big gap, I think they'll want to keep the momentum high for the franchise.

I think you should look further into the future for a sequel..

btw.. where is Jason West now..? has he commented on anything..?

They will be on the PC and that's where true die hard shooter fans are at. I don't think they are worried about it. Xbox 360 is second on that list of shooter fans.

Cboat am cry. Your tears are my bidet. So yesterday practically killed all insiders, first confirmation that rumours about the struggling Xbox OS were made up, then no timed exclusive for Titanfall. Tales from their butt.

It was nice knowing you Krilekk, you will most likely get banned for this post.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think you should look further into the future for a sequel..

btw.. where is Jason West now..? has he commented on anything..?

I think they're going to look to make this a two-yearly franchise at least - if EA are wanting it to become some super-duper franchise like CoD anyway. Not a huge difference between Q4 2015/Q1 2016, and I think they'll want to shift it to a holiday window. It's a tight turnaround but I suppose it depends on what they want, and being mp only could make it feasible.

On the other hand if they're thinking of it less as some future annualised thing ala CoD or AC and more of an occasional franchise like Gears or Uncharted or Halo, then I'd plump for 2016 and a keeping of the spring window.

avaya

By your own estimation of $15-25 per copy, wouldn't that yield up to $200m?

8m sounds way too high to me though but I really wouldn't know maybe not...

Adding PS3 is margin dilutive. It's actually closer to 13-15 a copy in margin for EA since Respawn also take a cut which MS would account for. 20+ if you're really bullish on the margin EA make to the detriment of retail. I don't think the game would do 7.5mn lifetime on the PS platforms because it has no SP.

Adding PS3 is margin dilutive. It's actually closer to 13-15 a copy in margin for EA since Respawn also take a cut which MS would account for. 20+ if you're really bullish on the margin EA make to the detriment of retail. I don't think the game would do 7.5mn lifetime on the PS platforms because it has no SP.

I see! Thanks for the clarification.

So are we going to act like this IP isnt going to top COD?

Off the gate? It won't.

Established brand, franchise, accessibility, reach, single-player aka Hollywood-style markeing, etc. Despite looking like the most uninspiring CoD yet, Ghost remains the most preordered FPS title in all sales outlets, above BF4.

Even if Titanfall completely shakes the paradigm of what to expect from FPS games, Activision isn't fools. They know the writing is on the wall, thus them already managing shareholder expectations with lower forecasted sales for Ghost, and them banking on Destiny.

Tldr; I expect Activision to blatantly copy Titanfall if it proves to be a success (I'm sure IW or Treyach is already thinking of something), while maintaining CoD ( perhaps into a 2-year cycle ) and Destiny.

lol. Euhmm no, as cool as titanfall may look: COD will still sell way more.
Titanfall is not multi platform, doesnt have a singleplayer mode and is a new ip. I know people that buy COD for the single player only. They dont play the multi cause its too competitive.. no joke. Multi only sounds to them like 'made for hardcore players'.

Good move by MS, makes their already very impressive exclusive lineup even more impressive.
Probably also good for respawn. As Vince said they can focus on one platform, which is good for a startup and EA will have to compensate in some way for "lost" PS4 sales.

Justifies my decision to once again get both next gen consoles.

I assume the PS4 will end up being my multiplat machine while the XBOX ONE will only be used for exclusives. So the exact opposite from this gen - at least for me.

MS have very few 1st party Studios so what exclusives other than the handful they have are you expecting?

He's probably a member of the 'PS4 has no games' crowd...

yeah because MS are awash with 1st party studios and exclusive franchises coming next year....

if your actually going to buy both consoles why not buy the exclusive PS4 ones too??

iBuzz7S

Banned
Before someone turns it into yet another thread...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-30-ea-denies-its-rushing-titanfall-development

Earlier this month EA announced a release date for Microsoft platform exclusive Titanfall: 14th March 2014.

It was a release date that surprised some analysts who had expected Respawn's hotly-anticipated multiplayer shooter to arrive a little later in the year.

During an question and answer session with analysts last night, Stephen Ju from Credit Suisse expressed concern that development of Titanfall was being rushed - and asked what EA was doing to ensure its quality while meeting the March release date.

Responding to the question, EA Games Label boss Patrick Söderlund said: "So on the quality side, and if we're rushing a game, I would say no, we're not doing that at all.

"This is a very experienced, seasoned team, one of the best in the industry. They've got a bunch of great games under their belt. We have been monitoring and working with them for a long time. This has been a game that's been in development for multiple years. And all the data that we have in front of us suggest that this game will not only be highly rated, but very highly rated.

"So I feel better than I would normally feel at this time, on a game like this."
Can't wait!

GlamFM

Banned

yeah because MS are awash with 1st party studios and exclusive franchises coming next year....

if your actually going to buy both consoles why not buy the exclusive PS4 ones too??

I will... never said I wont. What´s your point?

Just trolling?

Their first party studios seem to be MIA. The only retail game at launch 1st party is Forza 5. Ryse, Titanfall, dr3 all 3rd party. idk about D4, but I believe that one is also 3rd party as well. moneyhatting galore! Seems like their 1st party studios are behind by quite a bit.

keit4

Banned
If Titanfall sells well this will be a Gears of War case scenario. A game that was initially coming to multiple platforms, but that MS locked down for the 360.

This is the MS way. Pay a ton of money for early gen 3rd party exclusives then leave your customers hanging out to dry the second half of the console life cycle with almost no 3rd party exclusives and an incredibly weak first party lineup. This is exactly what they did with the 360.

With it being only available on one console it isnt. And on what will undoubtedly be the second place console as well. EA better cross everything they have that somebody else doesnt release their own multi-platform COD killer before they can get Ttianfall 2 out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If Titanfall sells well this will be a Gears of War case scenario. A game that was initially coming to multiple platforms, but that MS locked down for the 360.

But Epic was a developer not a publisher. Titanfall has a publisher, and it's not Microsoft.

I think this is going to be another Mass Effect.

Isn't it using the source engine? The gameplay looks good, but it looks like another 720p fps on the xb1.

It's using a heavily modified version of the source engine.

I mean, Titan Fall is to Half Life 2, what Modern Warfare is to Quake 3.

The core is in there, but you can barely tell.

Dinskugga

Are Respawn and Vince idiots ?

Do they not read the contract before they sign it?

I smell some bullshit here.

I cant really feel bad for them.

Where are these tweets you speak of? Up to today, Major Nelson and everyone at MS would only say "it's up to Titanfall" or something as vague. No one at MS has explicitly said that Titanfall (brand) or even game, would only appear on Xbox One and nothing else.

This announcement today is the most concrete we've had so far.

And those insiders you speak lowly of have been more accurate and honest compared to what PR people are allowing employees to say.
Once I saw Titanfall featured in their Invitation ad I knew they had bigger plans.

I highly doubt that Respawn manages to get a sequel out by 2015 for a variety of reasons, principally for the fact that Respawn was founded because they were trying to escape annualized factory-like production they dealt with previously. They're still a young company and turning around a new sequel that quickly would be a challenge anyway. "Games as a platform" is going to be emphasized more as well, so I'd imagine their plan was to make significant modular additions to the original game rather than the standard map packs we got in the past, so additional support is going to go on longer for the original game. I'd imagine they expected that they'd introduce the game on the One and start to roll out some of their dlc/"platform" plans in time for a PS4 release. Not anymore.

This to the Nth power. Its easy to act like the poor helpless developer getting fucked by the publisher for "gamer cred" after the fact. But these guys had a free ticket to write their own contract based off their previous success. If he's really upset about this it only makes him look like a buffoon.

Not really comparable scenarios since MS is not publishing. This is almost exactly like Mass Effect.

Was Gears ever announced for any other platform but Xbox? I thought I remembered that being a sealed deal from the very beginning

Indeed.

It makes you wonder how much this deal cost.

I owe you a apology Hindle I never thought this would happen but you called it.

To be fair, Vince and Respawn got everything they wanted out of their deal with EA.

They wanted full control and ownership of their IP. Which they have.

EA, as publisher, has the publishing rights,and that includes the right to make exclusivity deals. Vince and company never asked for the right of refusal over exclusivity arrangements or any other control over publishing/distribution rights.

Maybe they never thought about it. I doubt most developers would. They probably just assumed what everybody here did: "Hey, it's EA. Of course they're going to put it on every platform under the sun."

Not really comparable scenarios since MS is not publishing. This is almost exactly like Mass Effect.

Was Gears ever announced for any other platform but Xbox? I thought I remembered that being a sealed deal from the very beginning

I owe you a apology Hindle I never thought this would happen but you called it.

It was pretty much a sealed deal. IIRC Epic started development of the game independently, but Microsoft picked it up pretty quickly after that.

BTW, do we know how many entries in the Titan Fall series EA has publishing rights to? Or is this on a game-by-game basis? If it's the latter, there's really nothing stopping Microsoft from cutting out the middle-man and just throwing as much money and as many promises at Zampella until they agree to let MS publish Titan Fall 2.

sajj316

The platform a game is made for is up to the publisher, not developer. This is EA calls and in my opinion ... fuck up! That's a lot of money they are not going to get with PS3/PS4 sales and it's a heck of a lot more than the truck of money MS parked to secure exclusivity.

IRQ

Banned

Am confused now, Is this game coming to PS4 or not?
The latest Twitter says that EA mad a deal for the rest!!

creyas

It comes down to personal taste doesn´t it?

This is not the thread for that, but whatever:

Pumped for:

HALO 5
TITANFALL
DEAD RISING 3
FORZA MOTORSPORT 5
QUANTUM BREAK

At least very intersted:

RYSE
SUNSET OVERDRIVE
BELOW
UNTITLED BLACK TUSK PROJECT

Pretty good list I think.

And knowing that Forza Horizon 2 will come out one day helps as well ;)

"Pumped" .. for all that .. really? Along with "can't wait" posts that accompany ANY game reveal the exaggeration of excitement here bugs me. I'm "pumped" to get started with BF4 tomorrow, "can't wait" for DkS2 and will buy GT6 day one but wouldn't say either of those. That's it.

LOL...yeah poor Respawn. Microsoft is already marketing the hell out of this game and it's almost 6 months out. And they are still releasing on 3 platforms.

I think they'll be fine.

"The Rest" refers to the time period. It sounds confusing which is why he clarifies. It was only supposed to be a timed exclusive at launch but they locked it down

I forgot about the rumor that Titanfall will be exclusive to Origin on PC. Thats a worse exclusivity deal than the Xbox 1 deal. Not being on Steam would be like being exclusive to the Ouya console.

That was misleading.

Zampella meant that Titanfall was exclusive to MS at launch aka timed exclusive.

However, EA recently extended that exclusivity period to until end of product life, whatever that means. It could mean forever, it could mean until servers close, it could mean until Titanfall 2 is released ( and thus the old product is obsolete ), who knows.

Titanfall 1 is very, very likely never coming to PS4 ( even if it does, it would be in a trilogy pack 5-6 years down the road ), but PS4 is open to having future Titanfall titles.

The platform a game is made for is up to the publisher, not developer. This is EA calls and in my opinion ... fuck up! That's a lot of money they are not going to get with PS3/PS4 sales and it's a heck of a lot more than the truck of money MS parked to secure exclusivity.

Money up front can have value to a publisher, even it's less than the potential or projected profit down the road. You can immediately invest it in the project or other projects without fear that underwhelming sales will leave you in a hole.

It's much-needed stability for a new IP.

GlamFM

Banned
"Pumped" .. for all that .. really? Along with "can't wait" posts that accompany ANY game reveal the exaggeration of excitement here bugs me. I'm "pumped" to get started with BF4 tomorrow, "can't wait" for DkS2 and will buy GT6 day one but wouldn't say either of those. That's it.

Is this really a discussion you want to have?

LOL...yeah poor Respawn. Microsoft is already marketing the hell out of this game and it's almost 6 months out. And they are still releasing on 3 platforms.

I think they'll be fine.

They probably thought along these lines :

Year 1 : Leverage MS + EA marketing dollars + focus on one platform + get a good deal on MS servers due to discounts/free servers.
Year 2 : Release on Playstation.

Win-Win situation.

Thanks to EA, their 'Year 2' plans are completely gone. They'll be fine, but if they're really serious about being competitive to CoD in scope, it is arguable that they've now lost one year's worth of opportunity to build up another platform's userbase.

Kydd BlaZe

They will be on the PC and that's where true die hard shooter fans are at.I don't think they are worried about it. Xbox 360 is second on that list of shooter fans.
The bolded is false.

No shooter on PC is pulling in CoD or even Halo numbers. Even Battlefield has a larger audience on consoles these days.

TheKayle

Banned
interesting to see an exclusivity deal and a developer using a sad face.

EDIT: Basically confirmed Titanfall 2 for PS4:

@AdanGarciaG Of course we will, just not the first Titanfall.

Bolded is my emphasis

dont see nothing wrong putting a sad face....developers love to show their games to all platforms they can...u think naughty dog..hate xbox gamers or they stay there just is good for them (money talking)?

..for ur edit it depend on how much money ms want put on this ip

keit4

Banned
But Epic was a developer not a publisher. Titanfall has a publisher, and it's not Microsoft.

I think this is going to be another Mass Effect.

Yeah, i know, but EA being the publisher is the thing that makes me think that Titanfall can remain exclusive if MS throws enough cash at them lol I would say otherwise if the decision was in Respawn hands.

Dunlop

I forgot about the rumor that Titanfall will be exclusive to Origin on PC. Thats a worse exclusivity deal than the Xbox 1 deal. Not being on Steam would be like being exclusive to the Ouya console.
Why ?
The same hardware will run both steam and origin

I don't see any half life games on origin

The bolded is false.

No shooter on PC is pulling in CoD or even Halo numbers. Even Battlefield has a larger audience on consoles these days.

More to the point, it's irrelevant how hardcore the PC audience is.

It's not as though games sold to hardcore shooter fans magically make more money.

Top Bottom