• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

Sirolf

dont see nothing wrong putting a sad face....developers love to show their games to all platforms they can...u think naughty dog..hate xbox gamers or they stay there just is good for them (money talking)?

..for ur edit it depend on how much money ms want put on this ip

Does 343i want to put Halo on PS4 ?
Sony OWNS Naughty Dogs.

Kydd BlaZe

"Pumped" .. for all that .. really? Along with "can't wait" posts that accompany ANY game reveal the exaggeration of excitement here bugs me. I'm "pumped" to get started with BF4 tomorrow, "can't wait" for DkS2 and will buy GT6 day one but wouldn't say either of those. That's it.
Yeah...because, fuck enthusiasm.

gruenel

lol. Euhmm no, as cool as titanfall may look: COD will still sell way more.
Titanfall is not multi platform, doesnt have a singleplayer mode and is a new ip. I know people that buy COD for the single player only. They dont play the multi cause its too competitive.. no joke. Multi only sounds to them like 'made for hardcore players'.

One of my gaming sins. I do that... regularly. I always wait until the price drops to €20-30 though :p

They probably thought along these lines :

Year 1 : Leverage MS + EA marketing dollars + focus on one platform + get a good deal on MS servers due to discounts/free servers.
Year 2 : Release on Playstation.

Win-Win situation.

Thanks to EA, their 'Year 2' plans are completely gone. They'll be fine, but if they're really serious about being competitive to CoD in scope, it is arguable that they've now lost one year's worth of opportunity to build up another platform's userbase.

I highly doubt they were ever thinking about a yearly release for this.

More importantly though, I simply cannot believe that they didn't know about this all along. That would be epic levels of fail, they should fire their whole legal team.

Why ?
The same hardware will run both steam and origin

I don't see any half life games on origin

Because Origin exclusivity has been a shit deal for every game except Battlefield 3. Nothing sells on Origin. Not even Dead Space 3 or Mass Effect 3. And so far sales for non-EA developed games have been just abysmal on the Origin client. The EA partners program has been a disaster all around for 3rd party studios, but particularly on PC where most were required toat least be timed Origin exclusive. Crytek was lucky to survive at all.

At this point I wont even buy BF4. I know it will be the same situation as BF3. Not that the game was bad, it's just that I simply never have Origin open. I never play games on it. I have NFS:Shift 2, Dead Space 3, and Mass Effect 3 on there as well. All three games from series I love and yet I have never played them. If they were on Steam I would have played them by now. I know it sounds weird but it is what it is. If a game is on the Origin client I just never end up playing it.

TheKayle

Banned
Does 343i want to put Halo on PS4 ?
Sony OWNS Naughty Dogs.

naughty dogs isnt a "thing"...is a team made by people and im sure they arent "fanboys".and u can go in and out from a studio.....if one day they will get more money away from sony ....they will go and pubblish their game with others...or alone or boh...

Because Origin exclusivity has been a shit deal for every game except Battlefield 3. Nothing sells on Origin. Not even Dead Space 3 or Mass Effect 3. And so far sales for non-EA developed games have been just abysmal on the Origin client. The EA partners program has been a disaster all around for 3rd party studios, but particularly on PC where most were required toat least be timed Origin exclusive. Crytek was lucky to survive at all.

At this point I wont even buy BF4. I know it will be the same situation as BF3. Not that the game was bad, it's just that I simply never have Origin open. I never play games on it. I have NFS:Shift 2, Dead Space 3, and Mass Effect 3 on there as well. All three games from series I love and yet I have never played them. If they were on Steam I would have played them by now. I know it sounds weird but it is what it is. If a game is on the Origin client I just never end up playing it.

It doesn't sound that weird. Sounds similar to people that are planning on buying Xbox One, simply because the Xbox Live ecosystem is what they're familiar with. Whether it's preference or conditioning over time, it's where they prefer to play their games.

I highly doubt they were ever thinking about a yearly release for this.

More importantly though, I simply cannot believe that they didn't know about this all along. That would be epic levels of fail, they should fire their whole legal team.

I wasn't referring to them making a new game altogether for Year 2, but simply a port of the first game. ( and maybe DLC stuff )

If you're referring to being competitive with CoD, games don't need to have an annual schedule to compete with CoD. :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
One of my gaming sins. I do that... regularly. I always wait until the price drops to €20-30 though :p

I was that guy. Played through them all, and then a friend picked up Blops, and we ventured online together.

That was it. I've yet to touch single player since, and it saddens me to think of all the online fun I missed out on over the years.

Have you given it a shot?

naughty dogs isnt a "thing"...is a team made by people and im sure they arent "fanboys".and u can go in and out from a studio.....if one day they will get more money away from sony ....they will go and pubblish their game with others...or alone or boh...

Gee I see your ban's ended... :(

Sony own Naughty Dog, they aren't a contracted studio to deliver x amount of games they are a wholly owned Sony product, just like 343i is wholly owned by MS..

stop with the FUD posts, there's a reason you got banned in the first place you know....

Kydd BlaZe

More to the point, it's irrelevant how hardcore the PC audience is.

It's not as though games sold to hardcore shooter fans magically make more money.
Yeah.

Average Joe Blow Gamer Guy is not buying Titanfall on PC, he's buying it on console (which will be the biggest market for this game). Whether or not he sticks with the 360 or upgrades to an Xbox One to play the better version remains to be seen.

StuBurns

Banned
It's using a heavily modified version of the source engine.

I mean, Titan Fall is to Half Life 2, what Modern Warfare is to Quake 3.

The core is in there, but you can barely tell.
I would imagine, if you could really get access to that code base, it's a lot of MW2, they could just never say so. The Source engine has some GoldSrc in it, which was a modified version of the Quake engine too.

gruenel

I was that guy. Played through them all, and then a friend picked up Blops, and we ventured online together.

That was it. I've yet to touch single player since, and it saddens me to think of all the online fun I missed out on over the years.

Have you given it a shot?

Not really, played one or two matches then quit, never tried again.

I'm not a multiplayer person (or rather, not anymore since I stopped playing Q3), BFBC2 was the last MP game I really enjoyed & played much, but other than that... meh.

Maybe I should give it another try with next-gen Ghosts.

GlamFM

Banned

Sony own Naughty Dog, they aren't a contracted studio to deliver x amount of games they are a wholly owned Sony product, just like 343i is wholly owned by MS..

stop with the FUD posts, there's a reason you got banned in the first place you know....

Are you a Mod or something?

Are you a Mod or something?

No I'm totally irrelevant just like you...

I was being critical because he was suggesting that Respawn are the same as ND in regards to contracts, but he knows it's not the truth and just wants to spread FUD as it's an actual fact...

To answer your previous reply to me regarding trolling....no I wasn't I merely pointed out that your post alluded to the fact your going multiplat on PS4 but exclusive on XB1, nowhere in your post did you say I'm also buying PS4 exclusives....

If you are, then good, because I'm sure both platforms will have plenty...

Harlock

I can imagine Microsoft offering a lot of free ads together with XB1 ads. Makes sense, but it is very bad for the consumer. Not that EA will be much sorry about this.

TheKayle

Banned

..i know why i got banned....and i said theres nothing wrong in the sad face of the twitter post..coz every developer would like to see their games played by more people possible

i repeat naughty dogs...isnt a "thing" ...is a team made by ppl..

example: im a naughty dog 3d designer someone out from sony tell me that they would pay me the double of how much i get in naughty dog...i say naughty dog...bye bye...

u know kojima? u know bungie? ..they tell u the entire story

this work for every developer around the world...

Skeff

dont see nothing wrong putting a sad face....developers love to show their games to all platforms they can...u think naughty dog..hate xbox gamers or they stay there just is good for them (money talking)?

..for ur edit it depend on how much money ms want put on this ip

Yes, but would you ever see naughty dog publicly stating they're disappointed with not releasing on XB1? no.

Again, it's not the disappointment, it's the publicly showing disappointment.

Xbox One purchase vindicated :)

Kidding, I bought it for Forza, DR3, and the future exclusives along with Titanfall. I love having all of the (good) consoles.

TheKayle

Banned
Yes, but would you ever see naughty dog publicly stating they're disappointed with not releasing on XB1? no.

yeah he being ..not much smart doing this..and im sure someone will "scream" at him for this....

but u know....only on gaf ppl talk about an emoticon in a twitter post eh :)

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
They'll be fine, but if they're really serious about being competitive to CoD in scope, it is arguable that they've now lost one year's worth of opportunity to build up another platform's userbase.

But how fine will they be, financially speaking? It would be interesting to know about the terms of their contract with EA. If they were going to get a percentage of sales, and the money from exclusivity deal goes only to EA, they have a right to feel more than a little screwed. They might even have a minimum guarantee negotiated by platform, but if Titanfall is never launched on PS4 (or PS3), they'll never see that money either.

Sucks to be Respawn, I guess. Hopefully they get adequately compensated.

..i know why i got banned....and i said theres nothing wrong in the sad face of the twitter post..coz every developer would like to see their games played by more people possible

i repeat naughty dogs...isnt a "thing" ...is a team made by ppl..

example: im a naughty dog 3d designer someone out from sony tell me that they would pay me the double of how much i get in naughty dog...i say naughty dog...bye bye...

u know kojima? u know bungie? ..they tell u the entire story

this work for every developer around the world...

And God dammit this joker's back? Your ban finally ends and the first things you post are FUD.... not a good start.

yeah he being ..not much smart doing this..and im sure someone will "scream" at him for this....

actually nobody can scream at him, he owns Respawn not EA not MS (no matter how much they think they might)...

You'd think they'd keep him sweet, as I'm sure when he's delivered TS he can up sticks and pitch his tent in another publishers garden...

TheKayle

Banned

I was being critical because he was suggesting that Respawn are the same as ND in regards to contracts, but he knows it's not the truth and just wants to spread FUD as it's an actual fact...

To answer your previous reply to me regarding trolling....no I wasn't I merely pointed out that your post alluded to the fact your going multiplat on PS4 but exclusive on XB1, nowhere in your post did you say I'm also buying PS4 exclusives....

again (and i dont know how to explain this to u )

im not saying that a naughty dog developer tomorrow can go out and pubblish uncharted for xb1...

but maybe NEXT game...called "xxx" if he find more money away from sony is more than possible...

and i add...for this reason i prefeer how ms..dont own IPS....but pay for them till they want...

coz developers "tomorrow" (if find a good reason too) can get their ips on other platforms...a developer that firm with sony cant...

GlamFM

Banned

Sure, because skipping exclusives makes total sense - totally understandable how you could read my post that way..

As I said, I´m getting both so your "console war" means nothing to me.
Don´t try to drag me down.

DC1

We all are irrelevant. .. until someone breaks our controller; Then shlt gets real.

And God dammit this joker's back? Your ban finally ends and the first things you post are FUD.... not a good start.

No he's fine, I was unduly harsh with my previous comment...

He can post what he likes, doesn't mean it's the truth, and after all we're all entitled to our opinions, even if we don't agree with them...

Skeff

No one can do anything to him, What's the worst they can do? refuse to publish the game? yea, but where would that leave Microsoft/EA? Without Titanfall the XB1 lineup for the first half of 2014 is basically empty.

I'm sure Ubisoft would be very happy to pick up the project from EA, right now Zampella is essentially free to say/do whatever he likes.

Hell, he could self publish on PS4 if EA/MS really pull out of the deal which is about all they could do to "punish" him.

Sure, because skipping exclusives makes total sense - totally understandable how you could read my post that way..

As I said, I´m getting both so your "console war" means nothing to me.
Don´t try to drag me down.

No dragging Glam, not why I'm here...

We all are irrelevant. .. until someone breaks our controller; Then shlt gets real.

slightly off topic, but I once bounced a PS1 controller off the walls of my living room once when playing Pro Evo footy...(England v Saudi Arabia...me 20 shots on goal 0 goals..them break away in last minute...bang! 1 nil to them...i was seething...lol)

jet1911

It's really weird indeed. You can't be bothered to open a program that takes a whole 30 seconds to load. Are you serious?

TheKayle

Banned
No one can do anything to him, What's the worst they can do? refuse to publish the game? yea, but where would that leave Microsoft/EA? Without Titanfall the XB1 lineup for the first half of 2014 is basically empty.

I'm sure Ubisoft would be very happy to pick up the project from EA, right now Zampella is essentially free to say/do whatever he likes.

Hell, he could self publish on PS4 if EA/MS really pull out of the deal which is about all they could do to "punish" him.

clear but i still things he just be naive and didnt the sad face..against EA or MS

but as i was pointing..just sad coz less gamers will play his game..(gamers no fanboys)

DC1

again (and i dont know how to explain this to u )

im not saying that a naughty dog developer tomorrow can go out and pubblish uncharted for xb1...

but maybe NEXT game...called "xxx" if he find more money away from sony is more than possible...

and i add...for this reason i LOVE how ms..dont own IPS....but pay for them till they want...

coz developers "tomorrow" (if find a good reason too) can get their ips on other platforms...a developer that firm with sony CANT...
For the the record Naughty Dog (the studio) is own by Sony. They can't build on android without Sony's explicit permission.

On the other hand Insomniac Games (the studio) is not owned by Sony. Many of of their IPs are..but they, the studio, can make other games for whom ever they wish. As they are currently doing.

i think mods should care more of ppl like you than ppl like me ..guy...but anyway

Lol! Nice one... guy!

ND, as a studio, cannot make games for the XB1 without Sony's direct approval... as ND IS Sony. Specific developers from ND could certainly move over to a MS studio, or a third-party studio. But the situation you were describing in your posts is simply not going to happen, as stated. Saying that if ND gets a lot of money they'd make a MS game is disingenuous. If you had phrased your posts better, perhaps by saying that individual devs could make the switch to other teams, then the posts wouldn't have come off as "FUD-dy" as they do.

Maybe not. The problem for the COD games on PC is that the gameplay is too slow and the skill cap is way way too low. Those aren't things that PC gamers like. The twitch fast and high skill ceiling in a game like Counter Strike is much more popular.

Titanfall gameplay is a lot like a traditional COD game, but the movement might be enough to bring more PC gamers in.

Really what it all depends on is probably weapon recoil. If it's baby soft then PC gamers will never be interested.

clear but i still things he just be naive and didnt the sad face..against EA or MS

but as i was pointing..just sad coz less gamers will play his game..(gamers no fanboys)

The sad face is because they changed the deal he thought originally ok with.. TS being a timed exclusive...they didn't tell him that MS had moneyhatted the game exclusively until the deal was done...(and I bet i know the reason why too, he'd have probably not agreed to it..)

DC1

No dragging Glam, not why I'm here...

slightly off topic, but I once bounced a PS1 controller off the walls of my living room once when playing Pro Evo footy...(England v Saudi Arabia...me 20 shots on goal 0 goals..them break away in last minute...bang! 1 nil to them...i was seething...lol)

And that's what I'm talking about!
kinda

TheKayle

Banned
For the the record Naughty Dog (the studio) is own by Sony. They can't build on android without Sony's explicit permission.

On the other hand Insomniac Games (the studio) is not owned by Sony. Many of of their IPs are..but they, the studio, can make other games for whom ever they wish. As they are currently doing.

studios r done by ppls..not by contracts...

if naughty dog developers (the importants one) tommorrow find out that sony isnt anymore good ..they leave their job for sony (they arent in jail)

build a new game..called "the next game better than uncharted"...and pubblish it for OUYA maybe :)

Skeff

To be honest, rumors are that they had begun working on PS4, Also he states he only just found out recently, it was not his decision to make, considering his past issues with publishers and their contracts, I'd guess he'd be really annoyed at EA and himself for signing with EA.

Regarding him being naive, I don't think so, during E3 and Gamescom Respawn did really well at talking about their timed exclusivity, they confirmed that it was MS exclusive at launch, they never mentioned it was on PS4 but they still left hints, the phrasing of all of their replies to the exclusivity questions were all very well handled and they had clearly been PR trained, they knew what to and what not to say and that won't have just been forgotten.

Good strategy Vince is using here. By convincing everyone that he's ready to port the game to MS's rival platform, MS would be pushed to buy the exclusivity to the whole IP. Sounds much like what happened with Nokia when they created and showed off the Android version of Lumia, MS just bought out the whole damn company.

Deep pockets will save MS whether you like it not. This won't be the last time MS does this to secure good IPs. Good luck to Sony. They're still struggling to come up with their own "Halo Killer" now they have to come up with a way to make their own "Titanfall Killer".

Curufinwe

I'm not sure if this is Microsoft's prediction or Eurogamer's but:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-30-ea-denies-its-rushing-titanfall-development

Development of the game and the founding of the studio has required a substantial financial investment, and while it is the Xbox One version of Titanfall that is generating headlines, the bulk of the money made from the game will, Microsoft expects, come from sales of the Xbox 360 version, which could hit the 10 million mark.

10 million seems like a lot to expect from just the 360 version.

Good strategy Vince is using here. By convincing everyone that he's ready to port the game to MS's rival platform, MS would be pushed to buy the exclusivity to the whole IP. Sounds much like what happened with Nokia when they created and showed off the Android version of Lumia, MS just bought out the whole damn company.

Deep pockets will save MS whether you like it not. This won't be the last time MS does this to secure good IPs. Good luck to Sony. They're still struggling to come up with their own "Halo Killer" now they have to come up with a way to make their own "Titanfall Killer".

Yep. Respawn knows what's going on.

Top Bottom